Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Saw the Onfim type doodles on the aqueduct and smiled to myself. GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo this game is incredible. Played through to the start of the first case (finding the body in front of the Dance of Death mural :kiss:), had to stop playing because I was gonna end up losing the entire day to it if I didn't.

The setting, the history, the little historical tidbits that I had no idea about - I had never heard of an Anchoress before and it's loving crazy - and all the characters are just the best. There's a whole town full of wonderful characters and then you get to the Abbey and realize there's even more, and it's the best. The REALLY old monk in the Scriptorium and his little asides about Guy the Kiss-rear end are so great, there's the librarian nuns, Brother Piero who is the best dude in the world, Brother Mathieu who is a hilariously tiny little man etc.

Fantastic game, the art style is perfect and the text/font choices are inspired

:hmmyes:

Thank you :v:

Think I'll have a couple of hours to play before going to bed.

(Oh dammit, the backgroud is white :negative:)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I only just realized 6 hours in that the thought bubbles that can pop up beneath dialogue options are in fact their own internal dialogue trees 😵‍💫

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

This is a really specific request, but is there any way to turn off or reduce the volume of the text writing sound? I've got some sound sensitivity issues from a concussion I got years ago, and for whatever reason the 'scratching' sound of the writing triggers it real bad.

Otherwise it's a lovely and beautiful game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

knowlwedge

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the old guys cough being a literal rattle noise how you know this game is good

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

THere's actually a bunch of minor typos around. If you wait long enough, Andreas scratches them out and replaces the text with the correct spelling.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

v1ld posted:

rope kid, game requires a workaround to launch on Linux/Proton though it works perfectly on Steam Deck/Proton. Just FYI. Workaround is documented here: https://www.protondb.com/app/1205520

Once I renamed SpeechSynthesisWrapper.dll to SpeechSynthesisWrapper.dll.not the game launches and plays just fine. Deck cloud saves carry over, etc.

It's cool that you folks added text-to-speech, by the way. A very thoughtful detail.

:emptyquote:

Holy poo poo are you serious? How comprehensive is it? Do you know if there are things that it doesn’t read? As a visually impaired person who often struggles with text heavy games, this is pretty important to me. Had a feeling I was going to have to give this one a pass.

I’ve willingly given myself screaming headaches for other Obsidian games.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

WarpedLichen posted:

So are some of the journal entries bugged or is there only one set?

Otto's entry states that he's married to Eva but I thought they were still in courtship?

I've seen a woman described in there as "widow of Very Much (Still) Alive person" as well (being deliberately vague here, since I assume it's a future spoiler).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I had this whole long post here but the app ate most of it. Game is incredible.

It’s funny I started playing this after a week or two of digging into Red Dead Redemption 2 and being really impressed by its commitment to going beyond “core path”, or even the kind of map-denoted sidequesting and mini gaming that Ubisoft cannibalized for its own factory farms. I was impressed by the way it dared to spend time on — and ask players to spend time on — aspects and activities that were not, on their face, “fun” in any traditional sense of video gaming. Literal simulated chores.

What those activities were meant to do was effect a recognition of and attachment to the fiction beyond the Skinner box. And in a lot of people’s estimations (though by no means all) it succeeded in doing so. I hauled sacks of grain from one side of camp to another whenever I was prompted. It didn’t gain me anything (negligible “honor” points aside), so why did I do it? Because on the way I’d run into some assortment of Arthur Morgan’s accomplices while they were hanging around, and say hello to them. They didn’t even say anything new, they were just there hanging out.

Which is to say that in RDR2, the Van Der Linde gang as a society was the focus of the game, and for all its missions and set pieces, the amount of detail that went into the camp reflected that. I wouldn’t have done that poo poo for the crew of the Normandy. I wouldn’t have gone down to engineering unless I was sure that someone other than the journalist lady had something new to say to me. You had a ship and crew in Mass Effect because those are the things a space commander are supposed to have, not because they mattered in and of themselves.

I mention all this because for all the infatuation with and desire to see Disco Elysium in Pentiment’s lineage, I think RDR2 is a much better point of comparison. Even down to the way it makes deliberately eating food a substantive - maybe the most substantive - activity.

I’m six hours in and while the murder mystery is interesting and intriguing, the game is not particularly focused on it. The game - the course of Maler’s day, even - does not change, at least in any radical sense. The murder is a significant thing in the life of the characters (moreso in the abbey), but it’s not the only thing.

I just spun wool with the town women and learned a tidbit or two that might affect my investigation, but I didn’t choose to do it because it felt like the best use of my time as an amateur sleuth, I did it because the woman giving me room and board and feeding me asked me to. That felt more important. I’ve probably dropped lines of questioning that could have been fruitful because children were in earshot, or it just would have been rude. And maybe that is partially out of suspicion that the game will take those choices seriously as choices (already, talking openly (choosing to?) about the murder around a child has led to an awkward parroting in public).

But it’s also like… speaking of Mass Effect, you know the dialogue wheel memes riffing on the three ways you can say “yes, see you later?” We’ve got tons of those here, and I don’t expect they make any mechanical difference, but I am considering them, based on how I feel about the character I’m talking to, like it matters, like the characters are people. What the gently caress is that? It’s incredible. It rules.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

i had a journal entry where it was like a kid but talking about him as an adult so yeah some of them seem bugged
Honestly I wasn’t going to say anything bc ppl marry and have kids real loving early in agrarian societies.

For extra fun, you can think about the fact that whole families are living out of one or two discrete rooms, and that children are regularly conceived within those confines

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also I would urge anyone to just put down the metagame in your head. Put it down. Walk away from the Skinner box. Don’t think about the opportunity cost of choices. Choose what feels like the thing to choose in the moment. Just experience the thing. Else you’ll find it all harder than it is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m thinking very hard about who I want to have dinner with

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh God I have dual dinner commitments this is *agonizing*

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I only just realized 6 hours in that the thought bubbles that can pop up beneath dialogue options are in fact their own internal dialogue trees 😵‍💫

Holy poo poo.

BurningBeard posted:

Holy poo poo are you serious? How comprehensive is it? Do you know if there are things that it doesn’t read? As a visually impaired person who often struggles with text heavy games, this is pretty important to me. Had a feeling I was going to have to give this one a pass.

I’ve willingly given myself screaming headaches for other Obsidian games.

I haven't tried it out myself but there are a lot of options for it:

This is not a text-heavy game in the sense of a PoE - there's a lot of text, but it doesn't come at you in dense, heavy clumps. The writing is sparse and very good. You can also adjust text size in that same menu above.

The game is brilliant so far, wouldn't miss it if you're at all interested in it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The mouse cursor won't make itself visible if you just move the mouse, you have to click to get it to show - and that click will interact with whatever it's over. Feels like a bug to me.

But keyboard only navigation generally works pretty well, so.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Honestly I wasn’t going to say anything bc ppl marry and have kids real loving early in agrarian societies.

For extra fun, you can think about the fact that whole families are living out of one or two discrete rooms, and that children are regularly conceived within those confines

The second point is true but it's my understanding that in medieval Europe people *didn't* marry and have kids particularly early. Royalty and nobility got betrothed and married very early but ordinary people didn't. Though I don't know very much about Bavaria.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Miss Mowcher posted:

Thank you :v:

Think I'll have a couple of hours to play before going to bed.

(Oh dammit, the backgroud is white :negative:)

Oh no, the version I posted was definitely with a transparent background saved as a png, so I don't know why you got the white background, sorry :smith:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
loving so much about this game so far, but the weird lil guys in the margins are just too perfect

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m thinking very hard about who I want to have dinner with

If you don't eat with Sebhat then I don't know what you're doing with your life

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just checking in case I'm super dumb - the game has no tutorials right?

I had to mash through my buttons and finally check the controls to figure out that the 'margins' button is the one to press to see what's up with underlined text.

edit: also uhh bug report I guess - if you get the game on Steam but link your Xbox account, then you get the achievements on Xbox but not on steam?

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 16, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A small girl stole my hat during Ethopian story/meal time and now people respect me less because I refused to rat her out

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

fez_machine posted:

A small girl stole my hat during Ethopian story/meal time and now people respect me less because I refused to rat her out

You kept your honor, drat them all.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Just chiming in to say that the thread title is A1.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've been playing off and on all day. I'm loving it. Definitely brings back memories from playing Sierra point and clicks as a kid. The writing, sound design and the art style is chef's kiss. I feel like I'm not very far but I can't wait to see where this goes. My Andreas has Italy, bookworm, theology, latinist and occultist. Plenty of options come up in the dialogue. Also, this is a perfect game to play with a fire going. Would recommend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

doctor iono posted:

loving so much about this game so far, but the weird lil guys in the margins are just too perfect

This game has a stupendous weird lil guy quotient.

Pretty sure I spotted a Sesame cameo too.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man is there any way of (first murder-last day spoilers) digging up Gerhard’s grave without throwing anyone under the bus? The only other option won’t do it because it’s eating time.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Vice's Waypoint just dropped an episode interviewing both rope kid and Adam Brennecke (Grounded producer), real good.
https://play.acast.com/s/0374f776-c411-4314-95ca-bc5eb1b7b6e0/6374234a7fdb600012ea4035

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Grand Fromage posted:

This game has a stupendous weird lil guy quotient.

Pretty sure I spotted a Sesame cameo too.

Ohhhh that's definitely Sesame and Coco!

God this game is so charming.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ahh they fuckin got me in the labyrinth

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I'm having fun, but I feel like I'm making all the wrong choices.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Jerusalem posted:

Oh no, the version I posted was definitely with a transparent background saved as a png, so I don't know why you got the white background, sorry :smith:

I think I messed it up when I shortened it to the pixel limit :negative:. Well, I'll try to fix it later

Played a couple of hours, very immersive and unique experience so far

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I'm not sure I've seen my skill at law be helpful even once so far, lmao. It seems to exclusively get people annoyed with you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Greaseman posted:

I'm not sure I've seen my skill at law be helpful even once so far, lmao. It seems to exclusively get people annoyed with you.

Thats why I picked it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Greaseman posted:

My use of logic was considered 'pedantic' and made me convince someone harder lol

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

autosave only is definitely helping with my save-reload mind goblins. definitely going to do another run

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I’d prefer to have manual saving too, I talked to a nun and did some stuff for her and it passed the time without warning, missclicked too. Nothing too serious, but it’s annoying.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Absolutely loving this game. It's a great glance into a part of history I don't know that much about and it's charming as hell. The art and sound design just leaves me non-stop smiling.

I can't specifically say if it's better than Disco Elysium because I'm only a few hours into it, but I can say I'm enjoying it more. Large sections of DE left me feeling like I just spent hours in the worst of D&D and C-SPAM. Pentiment makes me feel the way I felt watching Castle as a kid.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i absolutely hate time management systems that limit your choices in games (i literally could not play persona 4 and 5 due to it), but i'm going to try to power through it since i really have loved this game so far (just got to the murder)

might wait a few days and see if anyone puts out like a "things you should know before playing pentiment" type guide, though. particularly due to the autosave. or maybe the twist at the end of this game will be that it unlocks a VN-style decision tree & skip system that lets you see all possibilities or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This game rules so far, the art is fantastic and I love the little guys in the margins when you look at annotations in conversations.