Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The evolutionary level above Dusty finish

PunishedEnzoMatrix fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Did you know that Comet Hale Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May of 1996 as the nWo invasion began?

Did you also know that it stopped being visible to the naked eye in December of 1997 before Sting vs Hogan?

Have you ever wondered what the Heaven's Gate cult really knew???????

not really because they all left detailed videos of why they were going to kill themselves and still have an active website maintained by the few that were forced to live

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm very confused by when and where lex lugar appears in NWA wrestling. He just shows you at the Bunkhouse stampede. I've never seen him before this. Same with the roadwarriors.

Edit: necermind. I watched the 3rd one.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

not really because they all left detailed videos of why they were going to kill themselves and still have an active website maintained by the few that were forced to live

Was this the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV4zBbCv4G4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Hale Bopp sounds like a jobber on WCW Saturday Night in 1992.
Emory Hale "The Machine" Bopp

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoKKPrxNg4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

happy rey mysterio jr page everyone

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgwDjRJc9Q

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The Double Bronco Buster is an all time great wrestling move and someone needs to bring it back. I nominate FTR.

(Skip to 5:03)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Actually I'm going to have to ask you all to boo the 619 as it is a WWE invention though The Undertaker is immortal and forever deserving of respect.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 5, 2022

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like the Giant's picture on his shirt giving Rey a little smooch.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Good lord, who was filming these promos? Keep the camera still, for gently caress's sake.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 90s were another place

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I tried some of the other regions of the NWA before their absorption and the others beyond the mid-atlantic just aren't as good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0YkQHqczw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVj9PXeJI8o
:whitewater:
A storyline that did not age well. Everything around "The perfect 10" Babydoll has been awful.

Edit: Ok the 2nd nature boy showing up and all the weird Paul Jones amassing an army to take out everyone is pretty good. It also sucks that Sliver Star '85 doesn't seem to be uploaded anywhere.

Edit2: I just discovered the show nwa worldwide wrestling and the nwa wcw show in 1985. I wish the wwe network had these up. Apparently this is what I actually wanted to watch.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 11, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/90sWWE/status/1592632167632629760

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, at least we know the DPRK is not secretly part of the nWo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The World Championship Wrestling show that premiers in 1985 is head and shoulders above the wide world of wrestling and mid-atlantic show.

David Crockett is a terrible announcer.

Edit: the 2nd iteration of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew is also insanely racist. The amount of racist poo poo the Anderson say to the Raging Bull and Thunderbolt is insane.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 21, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I hit the point in 1985 when Ric Flair completed his Heel turn. The match against Sam Houston was great.

Magnum T.A. rules too. It is too bad about what happens to him. Man would have been an all time great and remembered like Ric and Dusty.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

The World Championship Wrestling show that premiers in 1985 is head and shoulders above the wide world of wrestling and mid-atlantic show.

David Crockett is a terrible announcer.

Edit: the 2nd iteration of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew is also insanely racist. The amount of racist poo poo the Anderson say to the Raging Bull and Thunderbolt is insane.

it sucks watching old jcp or Memphis and all of a sudden its time for the most obscure southern slurs block.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

it sucks watching old jcp or Memphis and all of a sudden its time for the most obscure southern slurs block.

Yeah it was nuts hearing Arn Anderson call Manny Fernandez a "Half-Breed" and Ole Anderson say he was tired of Thunderbolt thinking he needed equal opportunities.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it was nuts hearing Arn Anderson call Manny Fernandez a "Half-Breed" and Ole Anderson say he was tired of Thunderbolt thinking he needed equal opportunities.

yeah .. about Ole: https://streamable.com/s8p9do

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1597000763326492672?t=00R-Z7ocycivoF_-AOwp4A&s=19
These are the only 2 wrestlers I've heard say poo poo like this even accounting for the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1597000763326492672?t=00R-Z7ocycivoF_-AOwp4A&s=19
These are the only 2 wrestlers I've heard say poo poo like this even accounting for the time.

Memphis had its share

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Memphis had its share

Which regional wrestling company was that?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mr Hootington posted:

Why is Arn’s head so big? I’m scared.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Which regional wrestling company was that?

Continental and later USWA.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MassRafTer posted:

Ah I haven't watched any of that. I'm just still with mid-atlantic. That seems to have most of the future wcw stars.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah I haven't watched any of that. I'm just still with mid-atlantic. That seems to have most of the future wcw stars.

Memphis is really good if you like guys who just punch and promo. It's fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Not to be confused with Continental which used to be Southeast Championship and Gulf Coast Wrestling. From my limited exposure that Continental is ALSO good if you like punching and promos.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Foes anyone have video of Nikita Koloff attacking announcer David Crockett?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So the 1985 Great American Bash is lost beyond a episode of wrestling today that has some clips of the matches?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

So the 1985 Great American Bash is lost beyond a episode of wrestling today that has some clips of the matches?

There was a VHS released by PWI with clipped matches, about an hour total.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/411-video-review-ringmasters-the-great-american-bash-85/

But yeah, unless there's something hidden in the depths of the WCW library that nobody has found yet it is lost. It was shown on closed circuit so there is a chance it was recorded and is just sitting on an unmarked tape.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Heading towards Starrcade '85 in a day or 2 so a update on what I'm enjoyinging.

I like Jimmy Valiant. I like Paul Jones. I do not like their stupid feud.

Jim Cornette is a great manager/hype man. He is also a son of a bitch. Midnight express are great in the ring.

Rock'n'Roll Express is great in the ring, but outside the ring they are two very stupid men.

Barbarian is good when they use him. Same for Abdullah.

The Koloffs are good. I like Nikita as this unstoppable force.

Ric Flair is a son of a bitch. Justice for Dusty.

Dusty has grown on me.

Magnum is still good, but seems to have been shuffled to the side.

Ron Garvin, Terry Taylor, and black Bart exist.

Ron Bass is great outside the ring, but his in ring stuff is starting to suffer. His face turn is meh.

David Crockett needs to shut up.

Sam Houston...lmao

Tully Blanchard and Baby Doll are the couple you love to hate.

The Andersons. Arn is a good hell. Ole just comes off as mean and cruel frequently.

Pistol Pez Whately. What a shame he is never used beyond sorts jobber stuff. He isblike Jimmy Valiant. A clown who is fun to watch.

Mad dog buzz swayer is a psycho.

Edit: JJ Dillion is also a fun manager.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 12, 2022

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
The Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard match from Starrcade '85 is one of my favorite matches I've ever seen
I am genuinely annoyed by Jimmy Valiant and fight the urge to fast forward when I see him on screen

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
RON GARVIN IS MISS ATLANTA LIVELY?!

My opinion on him has changed. A good wrestler.

Lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr89N8OnzkI

LemonLimeSoda posted:

The Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard match from Starrcade '85 is one of my favorite matches I've ever seen
I am genuinely annoyed by Jimmy Valiant and fight the urge to fast forward when I see him on screen

I haven't watched that match yet. Very excited for it.

That is unfortunate you don't like Valiant. I think his Street People, over exaggerated in ring antics, and outside the ring personality is a nice change of pace. I didn't enjoy the Valiant's War angle they took for a few months.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 14, 2022

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

RON GARVIN IS MISS ATLANTA LIVELY?!

My opinion on him has changed. A good wrestler.

Lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr89N8OnzkI

I haven't watched that match yet. Very excited for it.

That is unfortunate you don't like Valiant. I think his Street People, over exaggerated in ring antics, and outside the ring personality is a nice change of pace. I didn't enjoy the Valiant's War angle they took for a few months.

I might be the problem and I'm just being a harsh critic
Jimmy Valiant feels like a lovely Mick Jagger impersonation to me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I do not enjoy blading.

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I might be the problem and I'm just being a harsh critic
Jimmy Valiant feels like a lovely Mick Jagger impersonation to me

The Rolling Stones guy? How so?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 17, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
JESUS CHRIST THAT MAGNUM TA AND TULLY MATCH

WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

tbh that's just because what is mid-atlantics just becomes wcw after ownership changes hands to Turner and a split from the NWA

its also kind of hard to watch because of how legally screwed up the TV rights situation got

you've defintiely seen a lot of Memphis talent (Jerry Lawler or Jimmy Hart) but you're going to associate them with WWF or WCW because it just never could escape the collapse of the territories (it tried in forming in the USWA with WCCW from Dallas, but that was also damned)

I should also mention the Jarretts because you know its kind of hard not to mention them in regards to Memphis and surviving influences. Because goddamn.