Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

valdimir putin himself rode down on the bomb like like the guy in dr strangelove. the guy currently in the kremlin is a body double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Slavvy posted:

Ukrainian military accidentally launches missiles into Poland at the exact moment the US starts mumbling about peace talks, what a crazy coincidence in a war full of them

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1592688156213923841

I don't believe it was accidental.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

presumably the orcs were aiming for Krakow

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheBushCenter/status/1590772375712567298

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wonder if it might be like the Big Unit phase of Vietnam, where the US thought they could shoot it out with the NVA in climatic battles, figuring correctly that they could throw more firepower around. What they did not anticipate was that the NVA would not dash themselves against a rock for no purpose, and also, even in incredibly lopsided engagements, the NVA was far more willing to absorb casualties than the US was.

Ultimately it failed and the NVA did have to change tack, but at the same time it caused the US to dramatically escalate commitment because there was no way in hell the ARVN of 1965-66 was going to last in battles like that. In 1965 the US planned on deploying brigades to Vietnam, not whole divisions, and that firepower would do most of the work. So, and this could be a stretch, in a collision between the side with firepower and the side willing to run the risk, eventually it will break one way or the other but both sides will suffer setbacks for their choices.

Grab Their Belts to Fight Them: The Viet Cong's Big Unit-War Against the U.S., 1965-1966

“During 1965 and 1966,” wrote Dale Andrade, a historian at the U.S. Army Center of Military History, “the Communists fought the Americans toe to toe, making little effort to act like guerillas.” Indeed, despite pronounced disadvantages in firepower and mobility, the Communist Vietnamese endeavored to crush South Vietnam and expel the American military with a strategy predicated on “big unit” war. Orchestrated by a militant clique in Hanoi, the “big unit” war was designed to yield a quick and decisive victory over South Vietnam. Exploiting an extensive array of Communist Vietnamese sources, including seldom utilized unit histories and battle studies, Grab Them by Their Belts chronicles in rich detail the formation, development, and participation of the Viet Cong in the opening stanza of the Communist big unit war against the Americans, and how the ultimate failure of that war profoundly influenced the decision to launch the Tet Offensive.

Grab Them by their Belts, unlike much of the existing body English literature on the Vietnam War, mined the expansive Communist historiography on the conflict to craft an authentic and accurate account of the big unit war from a Communist perspective. Communist memoirs, unit histories, and battlefield studies were extensively consulted to reconstruct the formation and deployment of major VC/NVA military units, battles and campaigns, and the overarching strategic debates that informed the big unit war. Additionally, Grab Them by Their Belts recounts how the Communist big unit war reflected the desire to crush South Vietnam quickly and decisively, and how the failure of that war influenced the decision to launch the Tet Offensive.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Can zelensky just skip to the part where he's elected POTUS

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

valdimir putin himself rode down on the bomb like like the guy in dr strangelove. the guy currently in the kremlin is a body double

Повёрнутые на Z войне 🇷🇺 posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
WM ❤️
(from t.me/voenacher/33433, via tgsa)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Slim Putins

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

presumably the orcs were aiming for Krakow

krakow! krakow! two direct hits

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

US President Joe Biden said that preliminary information suggests it is unlikely the missile that caused an explosion in Poland on Tuesday and killed two civilians was fired from Russia.

Speaking to reporters after meeting with other world leaders in Bali, Indonesia, the president was asked if it was too early to say whether the projectile was fired from Russia.

"There is preliminary information that contests that. I don’t want to say that until we completely investigate it," Biden responded.

He added that "it’s unlikely in the minds of the trajectory that it was fired from Russia. But we’ll see."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CNN: US President Biden said it is unlikely a missile that landed in eastern Poland was fired from Russia. The investigation is ongoing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

CNN: US President Biden said it is unlikely a missile that landed in eastern Poland was fired from Russia. The investigation is ongoing

Good, glad he's not waving the bloody shirt over it.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The disinformation goes all the way to the top!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

speng31b posted:

Joe "Vladimir" Biden

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

yes.....yes.....you have to hand it to joseph biden

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol when thunderbeast is vindicated and its both a Ukrainian missile and a grain silo actually spontaneous exploding

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

As a tankie, I agree with the president. I think he is very cool and competent, so if he says it wasnt a missile that must be true. I am smart at politics

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well thank gawd Bush is with the good guys now!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

yes.....yes.....you have to hand it to joseph biden

The least bloodthirsty Western leader is a low bar to clear, but buh gawd he's doing it.:patriot:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Majorian posted:

id never heard this expression before n looked up what it comes from and lol

The phrases gained popularity with a fictitious incident of April 1871 in which U.S. Representative and former Union general Benjamin Butler of Massachusetts, while making a speech on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, supposedly held up a shirt stained with the blood of a Reconstruction Era carpetbagger who had been whipped by the Ku Klux Klan. Although Butler did give a speech condemning the Klan that month, he never waved anyone's bloody shirt. White Southerners mocked Butler, using the fiction of his having "waved the bloody shirt", to dismiss widespread Klan thuggery and other atrocities, including murder, committed against freed slaves and Republicans.

im glad he didn't flip out either tho

have they figured out whose missile it was yet or where it came from?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Iosif Biden

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

orcs really putting the miss in missile

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Majorian posted:

The least bloodthirsty Western leader is a low bar to clear, but buh gawd he's doing it.:patriot:

hes legit really good for how insane the world has been during his term so far. student loan relief probably won the midterms over anything else

e: actually roe v wade lost it but i mean things the demmos could've done

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

FirstnameLastname posted:

hes legit really good for how insane the world has been during his term so far. student loan relief probably won the midterms over anything else

e: actually roe v wade lost it but i mean things the demmos could've done

????????

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cspam wants to hug and kiss Biden now.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Majorian posted:

It would be nice for this insanity to end, but we’ll see.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Majorian posted:

Huh? Africom is still extremely active and he is still drone striking people. What bar is being cleared here exactly?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

orcs really putting the miss in missile

orcs aren't particular about the aim of their siege weaponry

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Huh? Africom is still extremely active and he is still drone striking people. What bar is being cleared here exactly?

"theres no magic wand" ?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

look we're debating which serial killer murdered less people here

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

oh i was agreeing but also talking about how hes been in general. i was expecting worse from biden

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

FirstnameLastname posted:

have they figured out whose missile it was yet or where it came from?

given how quickly everyone shut up about it and they're calling it a "russian-made" missile, it's likely it was a ukrainian missile. the question is whether it was intercepting a russian missile and something went wrong, or whether ukraine fired it as some bizarre act into poland.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Joe Biden is too sleepy to declare war.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

lol when thunderbeast is vindicated and its both a Ukrainian missile and a grain silo actually spontaneous exploding

It's funny that they interviewed local yahoos on what they thought the missile could be targeting. Farmer Stan thinks the empty stretch of rail the next county over was targeted by a strategic missile, it might have taken a whole day to repair that!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Joe Biden is the least bloodthirsty because he is bloated with blood to the point of satiation. Like the tick you find on your dog the day after a hike

and if sleepy joe backs down now Zelekensky and I will never forgive him

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

given how quickly everyone shut up about it and they're calling it a "russian-made" missile, it's likely it was a ukrainian missile. the question is whether it was intercepting a russian missile and something went wrong, or whether ukraine fired it as some bizarre act into poland.

Lviv is close by and was hit with stuff that day, it was probably just another missile fuckup

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

Joe Biden is the least bloodthirsty because he is bloated with blood to the point of satiation. Like the tick you find on your dog the day after a hike

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Unlikely that it's a false flag since that's usually the action of a bad guy

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Biden has extended an olive branch to Russia.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1592724220999786496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

speng31b posted:

the apartment buildings is an obvious reference to ukrainian air defense misfiring into apartments earlier in the conflict

bit late but yeah this is what I was referring to, I don’t think any of the S-300 incidents were false flags.

the first apartment building that got hit probably wouldn’t even have gotten any attention if it wasn’t for the fact that the media desperately tried to spin it as russia deliberately targeting civilians with cruise missiles.