Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Not really awkward, as ive said in the gibbis thread polish/ukrainian relations arent strained and this was an accident that was a direct result of them defending their sovereign territory from a nation poland already isnt on the best of terms with.

Im sure an apology and reparations to the families is enough to soothe any burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah. I feel bad for the two random dudes and their families, but I'm honestly more shocked it took this long for something like this to happen.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1592623734967660544?s=20&t=w31cJKVZj1VHdoIAKbpBeQ

Looks like the russian mod line of "false flag provocation" might just be projection

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poland is calling an Article 4 meeting.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Poland is calling an Article 4 meeting.

The last statement i heard was they were considering. Not trying cast doubt, but you got a source?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

If the article 4 thing is correct....

Ukraine: and that's how no fly zones are made little Vlad

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

The last statement i heard was they were considering. Not trying cast doubt, but you got a source?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08341844536b44

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Oh boy. What further administrative actions can be taken against russia before gunfire is traded?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Missile might've hit close to one of the big electrical grid connectors between Poland and Ukraine

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oh boy. What further administrative actions can be taken against russia before gunfire is traded?

Lots. Anything's on the table, from additional aid to Ukraine, to a sternly worded diplomatic note, to cyber effects, to nothing at all.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
A while back there was wondering how Ukraine would launch their Brimstone missiles from the ground. Now we know. A white van.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1592433221341704192

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Missile might've hit close to one of the big electrical grid connectors between Poland and Ukraine

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1592616005851054080

e: nm

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2022

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

This business will get out of control.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

wins32767 posted:

Clancy Chat detected!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

wins32767 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuMe5RvxPQ&t=23s

:hmmyes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This guy sounds like he's full of poo poo, and I wouldn't call "a few kilometers away" a direct hit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like somebody doesn’t want some Lenny

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

US President Joe Biden has called an "emergency" meeting of G7 and Nato leaders in Indonesia for consultations after Nato-ally Poland said a "Russian-made" missile killed two people in the eastern part of its country near the Ukraine border.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300739883/us-president-calls-emergency-nato-meeting-after-russianmade-missile-falls-in-poland-killing-two

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wins32767 posted:

tfw a missile pulls a Crazy Ivan

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kesper North posted:

tfw a missile pulls a Crazy Ivan

Port or starboard?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Port or starboard?

What time is it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GD_American posted:

What time is it?

WARTIME

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Realistically NATO is just going to park some SAM batteries in Eastern Poland and perhaps declare a free-fire zone over what they generously interpret to be the western bits of Ukraine. In other words they'll adopt the "it's coming right at us" doctrine because who can trust a Russian missile aimed at Lviv or Lutsk or Ternopil to stay on course? Hell, how can you even trust that Russia actually aimed and Kyiv or Zhytomyr instead of some NATO borderland?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2022

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Saukkis posted:

A while back there was wondering how Ukraine would launch their Brimstone missiles from the ground. Now we know. A white van.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1592433221341704192

that's an old rear end video

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

My Spirit Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1592623734967660544?s=20&t=w31cJKVZj1VHdoIAKbpBeQ

Looks like the russian mod line of "false flag provocation" might just be projection

I'm no Field Artillery Officer by trade but why dump ordnance on a dinky power line across an international border into a country that held a grudge against yours for centuries when you could have just attempted to destroy the plant just east of that border.

You really have to be cross-eyed and be related to Gunner's Mate rear end in a top hat or be this dude on Twitter to strike something MILES away from an actual, viable infrastructure target.

CabooseRvB fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 16, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Realistically NATO is just going to park some SAM batteries in Eastern Poland and perhaps declare a free-fire zone over what they generously interpret to be the western bits of Ukraine. In other words they'll adopt the "it's coming right at us" doctrine because who can trust a Russian missile aimed at Lviv or Lutsk or Ternopil to stay on course? Hell, how can you even trust that Russia actually aimed and Kyiv or Zhytomyr instead of some NATO borderland?

Maybe the most practical solution would be sending more modern SAM systems to Ukraine if S-300 can't be relied on. Either they could use the new system around large western cities and send the S-300 systems towards east, or use the new systems in the east and hopefully less threats would reach the western side and less need for S-300 launches. Of course how much can you trust Patriot either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CabooseRvB posted:

I'm no Field Artillery Officer by trade but why dump ordnance on a dinky power line across an international border into a country that held a grudge against yours for centuries when you could have just attempted to destroy the plant just east of that border.

You really have to be cross-eyed and be related to Gunner's Mate rear end in a top hat or be this dude on Twitter to strike something MILES away from an actual, viable infrastructure target.

Because their missiles suck (possibly because they're shooting SAMs at surface targets) and missed their target in Ukraine.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because their missiles suck (possibly because they're shooting SAMs at surface targets) and missed their target in Ukraine.

I get the suck part, but it can't be bad as being kilometers off a target for a repurposed S-300(?)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if it was intercepted at altitude it could end up quite a few kilometers off course. who knows though until someone with good info starts talking publicly

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CabooseRvB posted:

I get the suck part, but it can't be bad as being kilometers off a target for a repurposed S-300(?)

My guess is that they fired two missiles at an incoming missile. The first one hit, and the second one just kept flying because it lost its target. Seems like they should be programmed to self-destruct after a while, but maybe not. Or maybe it malfunctioned.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You can just barely get an S-300 to the impact location from the very southwest tip of Belarus. If it's an S-300, it's a Ukrainian one.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

aphid_licker posted:

You can just barely get an S-300 to the impact location from the very southwest tip of Belarus. If it's an S-300, it's a Ukrainian one.

Report saying SSM range is 120km

https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-uses-s-300-air-defense-missiles-to-attack-ground-targets-in-ukraine/

Can't vouch but it's a number.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
There's several types of S300 missile, I'm having a bit of a time finding any info on them, but I doubt they all have the exact same range.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even if its a Ukrainian S-300, the point is this wouldn't have happened if Russia wasn't launching missiles at Ukraine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Even if its a Ukrainian S-300, the point is this wouldn't have happened if Russia wasn't launching missiles at Ukraine.

That is true. But it does really make a difference whether a war started by Russia results in border area collateral damage versus if Russia had simply fired a cruise missile into Poland.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

There's several types of S300 missile, I'm having a bit of a time finding any info on them, but I doubt they all have the exact same range.

I found ranges from 50-200km, only the S-400s were stated to have more. Now distance the chunks can fly is probably a bit more than the range you can shoot the thing at an airplane from, but drawing a 200km circle around the impact doesn't get you to Russia and only barely to Belarus

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The ranges aren't "the missile can go this far from ground to ground" it's "The missile can reliably intercept an air target in these ranges"

Like, I can reliably hit a man sized target with my AR out to about 800m. I can also just yeet the bullets like 2 miles thataway if I wanted to.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

That is true. But it does really make a difference whether a war started by Russia results in border area collateral damage versus if Russia had simply fired a cruise missile into Poland.

Not sure it matters if the latter is accepted as an accident.

They both largely fall under "you didn't mean to kill our people but they died as the direct and very predictable result of your aggressive acts"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Like, I can reliably hit a man sized target with my AR out to about 800m. I can also just yeet the bullets like 2 miles thataway if I wanted to.

The difference is that large RF SAMs aren’t direct fire weapons. They already fly parabolically. So a 100km missile won’t sail out to 300km by accident by aiming up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

The difference is that large RF SAMs aren’t direct fire weapons. They already fly parabolically. So a 100km missile won’t sail out to 300km by accident by aiming up more.

Right, you'd have to point it a little flatter.

:v: