Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Class power will also depend hugely on the maps. I would much rather play a Zealot in the coolant system mission than a Vet, because the sight lines were complete rear end and there was a monster closet around every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CODChimera posted:

eventually if you stick with the game you'll just play any/every class you want to yeah?

i know there's gear but its nowhere near as time consuming as an mmo...i hope...

Oh yeah, for sure. But it is kind of interesting, at least for Vermintide, I feel like the first class you played did have an impact on what skills/habits you picked up. But for sure anyone who has played a lot has probably played pretty much all the classes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

CODChimera posted:

eventually if you stick with the game you'll just play any/every class you want to yeah?

i know there's gear but its nowhere near as time consuming as an mmo...i hope...

In VT2 the game had a pretty decent grind but it was definitely something you could "finish" in a modicum of time. If you stuck to one character and were reasonably competent at the game you could hit max level quickly and if you weren't concerned about the "best" gear you could have good gear in a similar amount of time. Maximizing everything is a larger time investment but also an unnecessary one.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Siivola posted:

Class power will also depend hugely on the maps. I would much rather play a Zealot in the coolant system mission than a Vet, because the sight lines were complete rear end and there was a monster closet around every corner.

I never managed to finish Coolant a single time and I am fairly confident this has something to do with it :v:

Of course it was a beta and people weren't keeping coherency and were just randomly running off to do things by themselves.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

S.J. posted:

I never managed to finish Coolant a single time and I am fairly confident this has something to do with it :v:

Of course it was a beta and people weren't keeping coherency and were just randomly running off to do things by themselves.
I kept getting lost in the last room. :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Siivola posted:

I kept getting lost in the last room. :negative:

When like, a poxwalker horde, a squad of chaos guard, 4-6 mauler and a periodic suicide dude all start piling on at the same time it's pretty loving miserable in that room. I couldn't get anyone to stay on the upper levels with me to keep from getting surrounded on 4 sides.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Instead of a miniboss monster one of the spawn options should be seven Plague Marines.

Orv
May 4, 2011

S.J. posted:

Yeah all of my successful coolant runs were people four man running the cans. Ogryn can also throw the cans up onto the catwalks which was useful to learn, though it still didn’t save one run.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

raverrn posted:

Instead of a miniboss monster one of the spawn options should be seven Plague Marines.

So we just immediately die that sounds great :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Despite their protestations that this is a human-scale only game I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a Death Guard marine for the Skittergate-esque level as the mastermind behind the whole thing. I know four basic nerds would have no real chance against one but it'd be cool anyway.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's plenty of space for champions of chaos and daemons between us and an actual chaos marine (thankfully)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah space for a bunch of nerds that aren't Death Guard. :colbert:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

S.J. posted:

Look at this no-faith nerd. The Emperor protects!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

raverrn posted:

Look at this no-faith nerd. The Emperor protects!

I play Orks! If they made a sequel where I got to play various kinds of boys that would be a different story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We get autocannons, bolters, force swords, power swords, and plasma guns, 4 humans could totally kill plague marines with the gear you have access to.

Even in the fiction where marines are stronger regular humans take them down all the time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay? Nobody here is arguing against that? FatShark made the decision and I think it'd be a good thing to stick to so they can come up with more new and unique stuff like what we've already seen out of a bunch of the special enemies. There's nothing intrinsically special or unique about plague marines, they're just tougher and killier and there's already plenty of tough, killy enemies in the game, and there are already plenty of games where you can fight against chaos marines.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

there are already plenty of games where you can fight against chaos marines.

there are?

i'm fine with fatshark not doing space marines (if not overly enthused that they're doing zombies) but like

where are these games where you fight chaos marines

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
There is absolutely going to be a chaos space marine as a major boss no way they wouldn’t have one

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

Okay? Nobody here is arguing against that? FatShark made the decision and I think it'd be a good thing to stick to so they can come up with more new and unique stuff like what we've already seen out of a bunch of the special enemies. There's nothing intrinsically special or unique about plague marines, they're just tougher and killier and there's already plenty of tough, killy enemies in the game, and there are already plenty of games where you can fight against chaos marines.

Even here, whenever marines as a boss get brought up people talk about how impossible to kill they are for humans, tis a lie.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

There is absolutely going to be a chaos space marine as a major boss no way they wouldn’t have one

Still holding out hope there's a big setpiece in some mission finale where one marine drops in to aid you, was one of those things they talked about in early interviews that npcs might play a larger role mid mission instead of just the story.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1592593443993395200

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i did not play ratfite but i think it had a chaos warrior boss

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

i did not play ratfite but i think it had a chaos warrior boss

It had chaos warriors as regular enemies (well, specials really ; but they weren't rare by any stretch. The Chaos equivalent of a Stormvermin), and a Chosen as a boss.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As the game went on Warriors got pretty trivial unless you were fighting like 3 at a time too. Lots of ways to just one shot them, maulers in darktide are a bit tougher I feel like.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

As the game went on Warriors got pretty trivial unless you were fighting like 3 at a time too. Lots of ways to just one shot them, maulers in darktide are a bit tougher I feel like.

The trick to Maulers is that they have super armored heads which was tripping me up at first since you just wanna headsmash Chaos Warriors. Horizontal attacks on the less/unarmored torso of Maulers is way faster.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

The trick to Maulers is that they have super armored heads which was tripping me up at first since you just wanna headsmash Chaos Warriors. Horizontal attacks on the less/unarmored torso of Maulers is way faster.

I ended up really liking the chainsword for them, because the special attack stunlock disables enemies for the rest of the team to attack, and mine had guaranteed crit on it too. Maulers only took a double tap of that to take down.

And they said they're buffing the chainswords too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really want to get my hands on the power sword, I'm a simple man.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Still holding out hope there's a big setpiece in some mission finale where one marine drops in to aid you, was one of those things they talked about in early interviews that npcs might play a larger role mid mission instead of just the story.

Just walk along a gangway and in a parallel gangway there's a marine soloing several bosses to keep up with you.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

S.J. posted:

S.J. posted:

it looks like you're arguing that regular rejects couldn't kill a space marine when you say they'd immediately die

I'm looking forward to repeatedly manhandling space marines with well-placed overhead strikes. bashing their silly armor to bits with a trench shovel. shooting a red barrel to turn a patrol of plague marines into a big ol mess

Orv posted:

I'll have to try this. maulers always felt really threatening if I wasn't playing a psyker

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kerillian had some really good builds, the halberd was a really strong choice on her that didn't get a lot of play probably because it didn't match the feel people had for her. In my friend group our Elf main was dual daggers and went all in on her ultimate, so we ended up just completely ignoring bosses because even on Champion difficulty he could drop two backstabs and just instantly murder a Rat Ogre or Bile Troll.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If we do get Chaos Space Marines they're going to at minimum be boss type monsters like Chaos Spawns(and Rat Ogres, Trolls, and Minotaurs in Vermintide) are

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't have a friend group with one or more people who declare a class theirs forever.

(I know you can double on stuff, but realistically, you probably don't want two Psykers, etc.)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pennsylvanian posted:

The deal with Elf was that people thought they could just be ranged only. So Elf players would pull out the bow, get their asses chewed off by Skavenslaves, then rage quit.

In that regard, I can see the Veteran being the new Elf.

It got toned down, but there's also the fact that Waystalker Kerillian was legit wayyy overtuned at launch. She had basically infinite ammo, health regen (I believe the only character that did at the time) and her special "oops, all headshots across the entire loving map !" seemed to come out ever 5 seconds. So on top of just weeaboo ninja idiots she ALSO had a legit appeal for powergamers and "Heh, did that level on my own, carried all y'all" type of players.

The character's temperament matched its playerbase, essentially.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
24 hours! Are you ready?!

https://youtu.be/lsV500W4BHU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Sharkopath posted:

Even here, whenever marines as a boss get brought up people talk about how impossible to kill they are for humans, tis a lie.

Depending on who's in the writing booth for the day, the champions of Nurgle can either be the doom of entire planets, or huge chumps who fall for 3-stooges-esque shenanigans:

Pandorax, by Christian Dunn posted:

A shadow in the mist formed only a few metres in front of him and, remembering what he’d been told by returning Catachan veterans who had faced this enemy before, he threw his knife aiming for the armour’s weak spot. End over end, the Catachan fang flew until its tip made contact with the seal between helmet and body armour, sliding through the corroded material with relative ease. The figure made no sound as it fell to its knees, its voice now robbed of precious air, and as it flailed to remove the blade, a human shape detached itself from the mist and thrust another, identical blade into the Traitor Marine’s throat. Gripping the hilts of both knives, Mack pulled them in opposite directions, opening the enemy’s gullet and releasing a torrent of blood, pus and other vile substances. Forcing back the urge to gag, he tossed Brigstone’s fang back to him and became one with the jungle again.

Yet more of Pandorax posted:

‘Pthirus?’ From behind the grille of his helmet, the Plague Marine’s words were garbled, and to Brigstone’s ears it sounded as if he was saying ‘virus’. The armoured traitor plodded on through the mire, his bulk causing him to sink further with every step forwards.

‘Pthirus?’ he said again, bolter swinging from side to side as he searched for his comrade. Covered by both mist and the trunks of trees, the Catachans drifted past him silently, towards their awaiting mounts and away from what was about to happen.

‘Pthirus?’ The Plague Marine’s tone was now one of surprise, having found his former squad mate face down in the muddy jungle floor. Somewhere in the distance, a bird called. He knelt down and with a bloated, gauntleted hand rolled the corpse over.

It was only when he heard the multiple clicks of pins being pulled from grenades he realised what a terrible mistake he had made.

A huge explosion from the jungle behind interrupted the cult leader followed shortly after by the ruined form of a Plague Marine hurtling into the centre of the clearing from out of the trees. Two of Corpulax’s bodyguard moved out of its path but another was not quick enough and caught the corpse of his dead comrade squarely in the chest, knocking him backwards and pinning him down.

At that same instant, from the same direction the Plague Marine’s body had blasted out of the jungle, five saurians emerged, riders on the backs of all but one. Whooping and hollering, the Catachans atop them discharged their weapons, the element of surprise accounting quickly for two more of the Plague Marines.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Nice to see Fatshark is one of the few devs to really nail the bolter. A lot of time it's just treated like an assault rifle rather than a hand-held miniature rocket launcher.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Depending on who's in the writing booth for the day, the champions of Nurgle can either be the doom of entire planets, or huge chumps who fall for 3-stooges-esque shenanigans:

I think there's a bit of a balance where Marines are baseline superhuman, (incredibly quick reaction times, super strength, agility, speed, accuracy, disgusting resiliency for the nurgle-aligned etc) but against some kinds of weapons the benefits of strength and armor matter way less, and a lot of the benefits go away if you actually manage to get the drop on one sight unseen. That and these benefits will still start to whittle down over time as an extended engagement where multiple people are pouring on fire or stabbing with power weapons is going on, ie the exact scenario of a boss fight. Marines benefit the most from quick decisive engagements where they themselves have the benefit of surprise or terror, because even enough lasguns will bring them down eventually, and high powered longlas fire can take off their heads entirely the same way lascannons or plasma can.

That and chaos guys tend to have a bit of the old arrogance, (why wouldn't they) which can work against them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 16, 2022

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
It depends what genre you're in. One marine loose in your ship could easily fill in for a survival horror mega boss like Alien:Isolation, or die at a 1:2 ratio vs other light infantry in an RTS.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's traditionally a bit of a split in how powerful (Chaos) Space Marines are portrayed as being. There's the tabletop/game-style marines, which are basically a bit better than humans in every way, but not by that much. A single human guardsman with a bit of luck (or a plasma gun) still has an alright chance at killing a marine one-on-one, and a squad of them will do it easily. There are plenty of units in the tabletop game (even humans) who can go up against marines in single combat and realistically expect to come out on top.

Then there's the "fluff" vision of marines, especially common in the earlier novels and codices. In those, a single marine is a ludicrous walking tank who can swing an entire battle all alone, and just one company of them can be enough to win a whole war. The only things that are a threat to those marines are stuff like greater daemons, literal tanks, or entire armies, and even then it can go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Senethro posted:

It depends what genre you're in. One marine loose in your ship could easily fill in for a survival horror mega boss like Alien:Isolation, or die at a 1:2 ratio vs other light infantry in an RTS.

I'd say more what weapons you have availlable to you, marine loose in a ship where all you have is stubbers and some lasguns is a real horror show, but in all 3 of games, tabletop, and lore, plasma guns are going to chew through marines like butter, and you don't have to survive fighting a superhuman in close combat like you would to get the same benefit from power weapons.

How effective lasguns and bolters are varies, but they really haven't written stuff where marines shrug off plasma and melta guns like they're nothing, that I've read.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 16, 2022