Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I know about 15 eligible bachelors :smuggo:
when i search my name on google i get my name and the word HUSBAND... but i don't have a husband!! (DM me)

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

when i search my name on google i get my name and the word HUSBAND... but i don't have a husband!! (DM me)

what’s the deal with that anyway? is everyone really searching for “famous person spouse-of-my-gender,” and why?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the deal with that anyway? is everyone really searching for “famous person spouse-of-my-gender,” and why?

There is some other woman with the same name, I think some minor hkpop singer or something, who's married to a hk real estate developer. The op herself mentions this in her tweets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Boots on the ground invasion seems overkill and unnecessary for Taiwan. It's an island right off their coast. A blockade would probably do the job with barely any bloodshed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

A lot mainlander say war stuff online to piss off the Taiwanese for various reasons (for example, if the Taiwanese netizens said similar stuff such as PLA will get crashed by the Americans or "The Chinese are too cuck to get Vladivostok from Russian daddy" etc) I wouldn't be able to tell you the percentage of the "immediate unification" faction.

do Chinese people say Cuck online. Wow. They're just like us

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boots on the ground invasion seems overkill and unnecessary for Taiwan. It's an island right off their coast. A blockade would probably do the job with barely any bloodshed.

The US would insist on bloodshed, possibly by strongly urging Taiwan to suicidally fire on the PLN with whatever the Himars of that war would be.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

The US would insist on bloodshed, possibly by strongly urging Taiwan to suicidally fire on the PLN with whatever the Himars of that war would be.

a few months ago it was reported that taiwan is buying an additional 18 himars launchers to go with the 11 they already have. they will also be getting 84 ATACMS missiles to go with them. those can hit mainland targets from the island

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The PLAN didn't even participate in the Sino-Vietnamese War, it is as completely untested and green as the modern ROC armed forces. Any potential war might end up completely humiliating as both sides make rookie mistakes, it'd be like the Saudi army fighting against itself

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

A liminal China, a Kafkaesque pseudo state of being and unbeing. The PLN has the island under lockdown, but for a select few skilled libertarians known as Stalkers, who can pierce the cordon, enter the zone, and obtain prized artifacts (Asian wives).

Years ago there was this short movie about HK getting hit by a meteor in 33 years, and it was a blatant political satire about the 2047 expiration of one country, two systems-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzCXjm2yOU

https://thediplomat.com/2014/04/beijings-censors-ban-hong-kong-short-film/

Makes me wonder if there's any Taiwanese fiction that explores the island's ambiguous political status in similarly pretentious ways. Recently there's revival of the phrase "Ghost Island" to refer to the place. There's a Taiwanese podcast group that looks very NPR called Ghost Island Media.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I have browsed a couple Taiwanese forums for a few years (also dead guy forum like this one). From my impression, the blue faction (KMT voters) have become more and more vocal about not willing to fight a potential mainland invasion which they are calling "a war between DPP and the CCP". You see where was some constant shelling between the nationalist army and the communist PLA in the 50s after KMT ran to Taiwan. And there was a famous scene of a DPP Legislator called these naval fighting "war between KMT and CCP". So now the KMT aligned netizens have turned around and call a potential invasion a war between DPP and CCP, and they are not going to "die on the beach for DPP", "will fight for Republic of China, not Republic of Taiwan." 10 years ago, it was impossible to read these kind of comments on the same forum, but its pretty common nowadays.

Also to the pan-blue netizens, the DPP government have been using state power unfairly cutting the KMT out of national election over the last few years. For example, the judges have been replaced by pro green members; and the NCC, National Communication Commission has been run by DPP people and dashed out pro green decisions; pro blue or pro red media has been shut down or kicked out of TV rotation and forced to go youtube only. Also KMT have been forced to give up their party owned business. KMT can still win local elections and I have a good feeling they will have decent wins in this upcoming local election. But when the presidential election time comes, the pan-blues feel the DPP will pull all their dirty tricks out of the bag and a KMT candidate has no chance of winning ever again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Statistically she should have some twitter reply guys by now

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto posted:

The PLAN didn't even participate in the Sino-Vietnamese War, it is as completely untested and green as the modern ROC armed forces. Any potential war might end up completely humiliating as both sides make rookie mistakes, it'd be like the Saudi army fighting against itself

yeah this, i am extremely skeptical that anyone on earth could actually pull off an amphibious assault in the modern

the last time anyone did was 1950, long enough ago that even the us military would be perfectly green at it but would, at least, have incredibly outdated doctrine left lying around to try and cobble into something and does have specialized ships and equipment that theoretically exists to do it

the PLAN would have a significantly worse time than even that

not to say they couldn't occupy taiwan, but the reasonable path to do so would be a blockade leading to an unopposed landing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

yeah this, i am extremely skeptical that anyone on earth could actually pull off an amphibious assault in the modern

the last time anyone did was 1950, long enough ago that even the us military would be perfectly green at it but would, at least, have incredibly outdated doctrine left lying around to try and cobble into something and does have specialized ships and equipment that theoretically exists to do it

the PLAN would have a significantly worse time than even that

not to say they couldn't occupy taiwan, but the reasonable path to do so would be a blockade leading to an unopposed landing

The PLAN has a large and modern amphibious force with purpose built vehicles and training.

Taiwan is an island within easy range of a vast arsenal of precision weapons.

Like as far as amphibious landing scenarios go it's super easy mode and would almost certainly not be contested by the time guys are disembarking off of landing craft. There's no tactic or technology Taiwan has that isn't mirrored tenfold by their opposite number. They aren't having to sail halfway around the world and bring all their fire support with them.

In saying all that yeah, it would be pointless and dumb when they could just starve them into submission as they demonstrated after the pelosi shenanigans.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

idk what exactly you're asking but in the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s Taiwan's media was huge. movies and music and I guess TV were so much stronger than mainland's offerings

do you have any books or articles on the topic you can recommend id be interested in reading more on this subject

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maximo Roboto posted:

i'm p sure that maintaining a blockade is a solved problem

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

These are some Robert Jordan fantasy covers.

Guess it works well enough

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Guess it works well enough

lmao

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
got given a business card for some kind of falun gong social media website today

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

do you have any books or articles on the topic you can recommend id be interested in reading more on this subject
hmm I don't have a book. The wiki article on mandopop in english had some references, you could start there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandopop

idk the exact time periods but a lot like korean music, film and TV now, Taiwanese media really was monstrously big in Asia. I would say it was definitely over by 2008 cause that's when Taiwanese cinema really started to decline and TV followed soon after

Hong Kong's cantopop and cinema and so on was also big but, at least as someone who didn't live through it, I feel that taiwanese media left a bigger legacy in asia. Of course Wang Kar Wai is better known in the west than any taiwanese director and maybe Leslie Cheung for music?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of falun gong, the shen yun commercials here in the states are now being branded with the title "Life Before Communism"

they're niche-seeking instead of going after a wider audience, seems dece for ticket sales but bad for foreign policy influence

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Antonymous posted:

hmm I don't have a book. The wiki article on mandopop in english had some references, you could start there.

idk the exact time periods but a lot like korean music, film and TV now, Taiwanese media really was monstrously big in Asia. I would say it was definitely over by 2008 cause that's when Taiwanese cinema really started to decline and TV followed soon after

Hong Kong's cantopop and cinema and so on was also big but, at least as someone who didn't live through it, I feel that taiwanese media left a bigger legacy in asia. Of course Wang Kar Wai is better known in the west than any taiwanese director and maybe Leslie Cheung for music?

idk dude i think ang lee is better known in the west than wong kar wai is. also i dont think wong kar wai is even the most internationally famous director from hong kong; id guess more old people have heard of the shaw brothers and non olds are more likely to know john woo and stephen chow

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Nov 16, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not sure any musicians from hong kong or taiwan are famous to any real degree in the west. but even given that idk if leslie cheung is more western-famous than jay chou. as in, if theres 12 white people in america who know leslie cheung (as a singer, i think people would think of him as an actor) then maybe theres 15 who know jay chou.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fart simpson posted:

im not sure any musicians from hong kong or taiwan are famous to any real degree in the west. but even given that idk if leslie cheung is more western-famous than jay chou. as in, if theres 12 white people in america who know leslie cheung (as a singer, i think people would think of him as an actor) then maybe theres 15 who know jay chou.

Jackie Chan is a singer who is famous in the west, just not for his singing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

exmarx posted:

got given a business card for some kind of falun gong social media website today

i say swears online posted:

speaking of falun gong, the shen yun commercials here in the states are now being branded with the title "Life Before Communism"

they're niche-seeking instead of going after a wider audience, seems dece for ticket sales but bad for foreign policy influence

"life before communism" as presented by a cult founded in 1992

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

Taiwan pop songs were probably 80% as popular as HK pop songs (in mainland, donno about in Malaysia) at its high but doesn't have long lasting leg as HK's greatest singers after both declined. If you go to a mainland supermarket now, they often play classic pop songs and you are more likely to hear HK songs from the 90s (kind of like a China versions of 80s pop radio station). Jackie Cheung, Leslie Cheung, Andy Lau, Beyond...quintessential cool classic pop songs everybody knows.

Taiwan cinema was not nearly as big as HK cinema. Does Taiwan even make action movie? Taiwan had some award cinema but so do every country has some, and not as famous as the HK award circuit cinema.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Nov 16, 2022

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

These days, Taiwan seems to be best at horror films- perhaps

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

idk dude i think ang lee is better known in the west than wong kar wai is. also i dont think wong kar wai is even the most internationally famous director from hong kong; id guess more old people have heard of the shaw brothers and non olds are more likely to know john woo and stephen chow

Ang lee is not a "taiwan" director. He made his first 3 movies in Taiwan, probably not even with Taiwan finance. None of that were that famous to people who watch Ang Lee. I will they are very good movies.

The most famous HK director outside of HK is hands down John Woo. We can argue who is no 2. Maybe Stephen Chow is more famous than Wang kar wai. If you ask a Chinese which director is more famous, probably most will say Wong Jin before Wang Kar wai.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

i’ve started listening to mandopop a bit because i find it helps a lot with my (very casual) mandarin learning to just hear the language spoken even if i don’t understand all the words yet.

the impression i get is that mainland stuff tends to be extremely inoffensive (lots of piano ballads, etc), while anything that has more of a dance beat or club vibe is usually taiwanese.

(my criteria for this distinction is just whether the lyrics provided in the app use simplified or traditional characters, so i could be wrong)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you telling me that hulk (2003) is not a taiwanese movie?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

jackie chan is also a director

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah you are all right. I am very taiwan biased and I will submit my self criticism forthright. I also hang out with film nerds and have heard about wang kar wai 10,000x more and so I started to believe it

also edward yang. I hear about yang too much

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Nov 16, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Some of our allies in the region don't seem to be too happy with some of the anti China lines the US has taken.

huh what "allies"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yi Yi is a good movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edward Yang owns and I own a Chinese film magazine that has like 30 pages of essay about A Brighter Summer Day written for the 25th anniversary of that movie, too bad I can't read most of it lol.

Anyways check out this loving drip

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

that's an amazing picture, talk about a nightmare blunt rotation
also

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
saw this recent video about Jet Li recently and goddamn did it remind me about the number of dope rear end movies he starred in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ypDaiO8hA

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...am-is-laid-off/

quote:

Japanese Twitter Trends Shift Away From Politics To Pop-Culture After Curation Team Is Laid Off

This has prompted other Japanese Twitter users to point out the potential collusion between the Japanese media and Twitter’s former curation team.

What’s especially interesting in all this, is that despite the curation team’s previous efforts to whip up a political fervour in Japan, it ultimately resulted in very little change in the platform’s actual discourse.
lmfao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

huh what "allies"

well, deutschland uber alles due to how badly they need China's economic help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
fredric jameson has written some interesting essays about the taiwanese new wave