Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Doing some general financial housekeeping after spending way too many hours reading the adventures of zaurg and realized our savings account that's linked with our normal checking is only a 0.1% APY. Seems like I might as well have most of my cash savings doing a bit more for me and Nerdwallet has a bunch of options for 3.0-3.83%.

Is it a fairly common practice to have 'long term savings' (emergency fund, slow-moving 'project fund'-type savings, etc) in a high-yield account distinct from your regular bank?
What should I be on the lookout for to not make this more trouble than it's worth? Things I have already thought of:
  • minimum balance requirements and/or monthly or annual fees
  • ACH/EFT fees for withdrawals (nobody seems to have these, or if they do they don't make them easy to find, which makes me slightly nervous)
  • maximum withdrawal transactions per month (6 seems to be fairly common, which is no problem)
  • ACH/EFT timing (if it takes a week to get my money that would get annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

aunt jenkins posted:

Doing some general financial housekeeping after spending way too many hours reading the adventures of zaurg and realized our savings account that's linked with our normal checking is only a 0.1% APY. Seems like I might as well have most of my cash savings doing a bit more for me and Nerdwallet has a bunch of options for 3.0-3.83%.

Is it a fairly common practice to have 'long term savings' (emergency fund, slow-moving 'project fund'-type savings, etc) in a high-yield account distinct from your regular bank?
What should I be on the lookout for to not make this more trouble than it's worth? Things I have already thought of:
  • minimum balance requirements and/or monthly or annual fees
  • ACH/EFT fees for withdrawals (nobody seems to have these, or if they do they don't make them easy to find, which makes me slightly nervous)
  • maximum withdrawal transactions per month (6 seems to be fairly common, which is no problem)
  • ACH/EFT timing (if it takes a week to get my money that would get annoying)

Yes, get a HYSA (high yield savings account). I personally moved my checking and savings to Ally bank 12 years ago and never regretted firing Bank of America. But you can leave your checking account where it is.

Ally is super solid (I think it just went to 3%), other companies like AmEx have the same HYSA setup. You’re correct, just make sure there’s no stupid gotcha fees and make sure it is FDIC insured.

General fyi you will pay tax on it on your yearly taxes (just the earnings) but totally worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For the record, all savings account interest is taxed. It’s just that at 0.1% it’s immaterial.

Ally, Marcus, and American Express seem to be fairly consistent in their interest rates and used by lots of goons. There is usually some kind of sign up bonus going. There may be better rates available than those three but there will be strings attached. Former thread darling HMBradley had higher rates initially, but then started locking those rates behind things like debit card use and over time became kind of poo poo. IMO better to just go with known entity with good rates rather than trying to min/max too much.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m having a hard time deciding what to do, and I was hoping to get advice from the thread. I’m currently investing 46% of income each month, no debt and house paid off. My job is such that I can’t be laid off except if the entire public healthcare system collapses.
I have about $7500 to invest, and I’m trying to decide between fully-funding next year’s IRA, dumping it my 401k, or buying I bonds. My 401k is from my business that’s closing at the end of the year, so it’s use-it-or-lose-it. The I Bonds would be part of the down payment for an EV van in 2024 that I’m estimating to be ~$70k.
I realize some of this boils down to “Do you want the money now or in retirement?” My partner has a degenerative physical disability, so we’re not factoring that in because we have no idea what life is going to be like in 30 years.

Valicious fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 15, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can't put it into your 2023 IRA until January but that's not far off. It sounds like you can put it into your 401k right now, which is functionally equivalent since you're managing your own 401k and therefore I assume have similarly good options. So you're correct that the decision is how long in the future you anticipate needing the money. The I bonds you'll have to hold for a year. If you want it sooner than that, put it into a high yield savings account. If you don't need it till retirement, put it into your 401k. If you want to save for medical expenses for your partner, your partner should consider a high-deductible medical plan and an HSA, or, you might consider setting up a trust with your partner as the beneficiary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’m of the opinion that you should always use use-it-or-lose-it tax advantaged space first since you can never get that back.

I suppose I bonds are also use or lose but imo the benefits are a lot lower than reduction in taxable income or untaxed growth in a Roth IRA or 401(k).

If you contribute to a Roth IRA there a lot more favorable withdrawal rules than for pretax money if you end up potentially needing the money before retirement age.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Valicious posted:

I’m having a hard time deciding what to do, and I was hoping to get advice from the thread. I’m currently investing 46% of income each month, no debt and house paid off. My job is such that I can’t be laid off except if the entire Medicaid system collapses.
I have about $7500 to invest, and I’m trying to decide between fully-funding next year’s IRA, dumping it my 401k, or buying I bonds. My 401k is from my business that’s closing at the end of the year, so it’s use-it-or-lose-it. The I Bonds would be part of the down payment for an EV van in 2024 that I’m estimating to be ~$70k.
I realize some of this boils down to “Do you want the money now or in retirement?” My partner has a degenerative physical disability, so we’re not factoring that in because we have no idea what life is going to be like in 30 years.

46% "sounds" like a lot maybe (awesome!). By the time 2023 rolls around I imagine you'll be able to max that year's IRA contribs relatively quickly?

So max 401k now, probably?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Talking about finances is like taking your clothes off. It can be intimate, it can be embarrassing, you are vulnerable. The locker room after your team won a big game is an good time for it. Hopefully you like doing it with your romantic partner. If someone isn't down, don't press it. Corporations deliberately make you feel ashamed, inadequate, hopeless.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Regarding rates for high-yield savings accounts, how often can the rate for a particular account change once it's open?

I'm seeing Marcus offering 3%, which would be pretty nice to lock in for cash emergency savings. And yet, I can't imagine it staying that high down the line if/when the Fed changes its current course.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
As often as the bank wants, AFAK, they change it to stay competitive, not because they are forced to.

For reference, Ally increased theirs at least 3 times in the past month.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, you pay a price for liquidity, and part of that price is your rate isn’t guaranteed to stick around very long. If you want to lock in a rate, you generally have to lock the money away with it (e.g. a typical CD).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ersatz posted:

Regarding rates for high-yield savings accounts, how often can the rate for a particular account change once it's open?

I'm seeing Marcus offering 3%, which would be pretty nice to lock in for cash emergency savings. And yet, I can't imagine it staying that high down the line if/when the Fed changes its current course.

Here is a post with w graph of Ally's history until late 2020. It sat at 0.5% until the last few months shooting up to 2.75% currently.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326261&start=50

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Here is a post with w graph of Ally's history until late 2020. It sat at 0.5% until the last few months shooting up to 2.75% currently.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326261&start=50

Thanks, this is super helpful.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I've read that because of Ally's popularity, Marcus will always adjust their rates to be just barely above them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

I've read that because of Ally's popularity, Marcus will always adjust their rates to be just barely above them.

I do not think this is borne out by data but I'm too lazy to actually try to gather it. I know at many points in time when I have checked have been the same.

edit: rates generally move with changes in the FFR, logically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do not think this is borne out by data but I'm too lazy to actually try to gather it. I know at many points in time when I have checked have been the same.

Same. I didn't feel like verifying that either and it was delivered with confidence by the source (I want to say it was doctorofcredit's living document of top HYSA rates?), but I'm more inclined to trust you than them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Both Discover and Citibank currently have better rates than Ally (3 vs 3,10), although Citibank does require you to keep $10.000 in the savings account if you want to avoid fees.

Edit: apparently Brilliant bank has 4% rates? Never heard of them but they're FDIC insured, so who cares.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know yield chasing for a HYSA is bad etc etc, but it's kind of annoying that my Ally account never seems to have better rates than anyone else. Marcus at least seems to be in the running?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I know yield chasing for a HYSA is bad etc etc, but it's kind of annoying that my Ally account never seems to have better rates than anyone else. Marcus at least seems to be in the running?

If your emergency fund is big enough for you to care your emergency fund is too big. It's a simple rule that easily scales in either direction of income level.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Marcus has supposedly been a money furnace for GS, so this might not last forever.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yep I'm not losing any sleep over even a 1% difference on my HYSA, I'm just glad it's earning something rather than nothing. Most of the draw for me when I set it up was its at a different bank so it just feels untouchable vs my savings account on my regular checking account which is definitely there so I could overspend a little and be fine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Residency Evil posted:

IDK, if savings account interest didn’t matter then there’d be little point in getting a HYSA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silence_kit posted:

IDK, if savings account interest didn’t matter then there’d be little point in getting a HYSA

It’s all marginal utility vs marginal cost imo. To set up a new HYSA takes a little bit of time. You have to link the thing to your checking account which has some small amount of risk. You have a username and password with access to your money with a new entity. A new entity has your SSN. You receive an additional 1099-INT. Then when you want to switch again you gotta close the account down.

All of this stuff is small ish potatoes and probably worth it for like 300 bps. It’s not worth it imo for 50 bps especially since there is no guarantee that a given accounts rates stay high. The HMBradley yield chasers made about 1% for a year in return for this work. Even with my very bloated single income HCOL efund that’s like 70 bucks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

If your emergency fund is big enough for you to care your emergency fund is too big. It's a simple rule that easily scales in either direction of income level.

We keep about 5% of our net worth in cash, but that includes the emergency fund, savings for a car, savings for a bulk student loan repayment when the pause finally ends, etc. It's money that theoretically will be used in 1-2 years, but shouldn't be invested. :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

We keep about 5% of our net worth in cash, but that includes the emergency fund, savings for a car, savings for a bulk student loan repayment when the pause finally ends, etc. It's money that theoretically will be used in 1-2 years, but shouldn't be invested. :shrug:

And you're going to spend this amount of mental energy + potentially more tax forms at the end of the year to make an extra $100-300 in a year with it? Surely you have better things to do with your time.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Residency Evil posted:

You might want to consider a portion of it in t-bills. Six month t-bills are paying a bit under 4.5%. Even one month t-bills are paing over 3.5%. You can set them to autoroll through your broker.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

laxbro posted:

You might want to consider a portion of it in t-bills. Six month t-bills are paying a bit under 4.5%. Even one month t-bills are paing over 3.5%. You can set them to autoroll through your broker.

or just pretend drk and I waved and pointed back up at the SGOV posts

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

laxbro posted:

This seems like the real "maixmize your emergency fund" strategy. Keep maybe 2k on hand or whatever you are comfortable with, then set up rolling t-bills or CDs such that you have 1 month of your six month emergency fund become available every month. If you do need to tap into you just stop the rolling and you'll have the money to pay your bills. But you don't have to keep changing bank accounts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, if this is money for a car in a couple years, it's not your e-fund; and I think it's fair to say that there's a distinction between genuine emergency cash, which should not be locked in illiquid investments, vs. your short to intermediate-term cash savings that you can get a few percent out of with more or less zero-risk investments with three to twelve month lockup periods.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I want to keep savings in my brokerage account so everything is at Schwab, is there any reason to use their US Treasury Money Market Fund instead of the regular Schwab Money Market one? Is it just technically safer for a smaller yield?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know that the odds of Schwab collapsing are very low, but Money Market accounts are not FDIC insured and generally not recommended as a place to store emergency funds.

Edit: also IDK if this is still true, but at least in Vanguard you used to not be able to liquidate or withdraw MM funds outside of business hours.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 16, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the Credit Card thread since the degenerates over there are more familiar with the ins and outs of banks being dicks, but maybe someone here knows the answer.

I'm about to open a Citibank account for my wife. She absolutely hates the idea of having multiple accounts in different banks, so I want to also open an Accelerate Savings account for her, which has a high interest rate.

We currently live in GA but will be moving to NY in about a month. The Accelerate Savings account isn't offered in NY.

Will Citi close or convert the account if (when) it detects we changed addresses?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

Will Citi close or convert the account if (when) it detects we changed addresses?

Yes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Dang, that sucks. Thanks!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ganon posted:

I want to keep savings in my brokerage account so everything is at Schwab, is there any reason to use their US Treasury Money Market Fund instead of the regular Schwab Money Market one? Is it just technically safer for a smaller yield?

SWVXX holds commercial paper (short term business debt), so the risk is higher than funds that only hold treasuries and other federal government debt. However low, I wouldnt personally take that risk with emergency funds when treasury bills pay more anyways.

edit: Schwab is one of the places that can autoroll treasuries for you, which is kinda like getting a personal zero expense treasury fund made custom for you

drk fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 16, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It’s generally inadvisable to make decisions off of seven day yields in funds that trade in short term paper

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ganon posted:

SNSXX is state tax exempt. With that much of a spread that doesn't really matter though.

Residency Evil posted:

Marcus and Ally usually do new funds deposit bonuses so one of each will usually net you a couple of hundred dollars every year. I would wait until Marcus is running a promotion to open an account though.

Harry fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 16, 2022

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

dpkg chopra posted:

I know that the odds of Schwab collapsing are very low, but Money Market accounts are not FDIC insured and generally not recommended as a place to store emergency funds.

Edit: also IDK if this is still true, but at least in Vanguard you used to not be able to liquidate or withdraw MM funds outside of business hours.

I thought MM funds were similar to HYSAs (though higher risk, but small interest and still liquid) used as tools to store funds to earn a little interest before you invest it in something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

I thought MM funds were similar to HYSAs (though higher risk, but small interest and still liquid) used as tools to store funds to earn a little interest before you invest it in something.

They aren’t FDIC insured and they are somewhat less liquid in that you have to sell and transfer to a bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they are somewhat less liquid in that you have to sell and transfer to a bank account.

You can write checks on (at least) the Vanguard settlement money market fund in your brokerage account.