Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All bets are off because we are playing hero characters anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Whatever this guy did is how I think of spehs marines

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
the final mission should involve sneaking space-lax in Abbadon's breakfast so when he addresses Atoma from his capital ship his speech is drowned out by massive wet farts reverberating from his terminator armor and he gets so embarrassed he forgets the rest of his speech and dies

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sharkopath posted:

I'd say more what weapons you have availlable to you, marine loose in a ship where all you have is stubbers and some lasguns is a real horror show, but in all 3 of games, tabletop, and lore, plasma guns are going to chew through marines like butter, and you don't have to survive fighting a superhuman in close combat like you would to get the same benefit from power weapons.

How effective lasguns and bolters are varies, but they really haven't written stuff where marines shrug off plasma and melta guns like they're nothing, that I've read.

Yeah, bolter + flamer grade tends to be where things get dangerous for space marines. Plasma + melta is lethal, anything bigger = splatter mark same as any other infantry

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Harsh language also works

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You're going to fight and kill a Chaos space marine and anyone who thinks that's a rediculous proposition has been reading too many bad Horus Heresy novels.

The most powerful effect the space marines have going for them in the boarding action short film is plot armor.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

chaos space marine patrol being maimed and humiliated as the warp rift turns out to be a canny facsimile painted on the wall

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Perestroika posted:

There's traditionally a bit of a split in how powerful (Chaos) Space Marines are portrayed as being. There's the tabletop/game-style marines, which are basically a bit better than humans in every way, but not by that much. A single human guardsman with a bit of luck (or a plasma gun) still has an alright chance at killing a marine one-on-one, and a squad of them will do it easily. There are plenty of units in the tabletop game (even humans) who can go up against marines in single combat and realistically expect to come out on top.

Then there's the "fluff" vision of marines, especially common in the earlier novels and codices. In those, a single marine is a ludicrous walking tank who can swing an entire battle all alone, and just one company of them can be enough to win a whole war. The only things that are a threat to those marines are stuff like greater daemons, literal tanks, or entire armies, and even then it can go either way.

I mean, in the Space Marine game, which is not *that* old (certainly not 80s) 3 (three) Ultramarines are more or less enough to curbstomp an Ork waaagh and a Chaos Marine SURPRISE CHAOS GATE at the same time. So there is that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ChickenHeart posted:

the final mission should involve sneaking space-lax in Abbadon's breakfast so when he addresses Atoma from his capital ship his speech is drowned out by massive wet farts reverberating from his terminator armor and he gets so embarrassed he forgets the rest of his speech and dies

How would Abaddon even eat breakfast ? Him being without arms, I mean ?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, in the Space Marine game, which is not *that* old (certainly not 80s) 3 (three) Ultramarines are more or less enough to curbstomp an Ork waaagh and a Chaos Marine SURPRISE CHAOS GATE at the same time. So there is that.

Yeah but pretty much any videogame where you play as a member of a given force is going to have you doing that. That's kinda part and parcel of making a videogame generally. If you play as the Orks in one of the Dawn of War games then you can single handedly kill 100s of space marines, probably without taking many losses.

If they are genuinely not going to have any plague marines to fight then fair enough but I expect them to just be being a bit secretive about it and they'll only show up rarely in the later levels or something. The "we just want to something a bit more different and interesting" reasoning for them not showing up is a bit weird cause they've chosen a faction that'll have you fighting loads of zombies as the enemy.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

uncalled for! posted:

chaos space marine patrol being maimed and humiliated as the warp rift turns out to be a canny facsimile painted on the wall

the ACME chapter strikes again

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ichabod Tane posted:

Whatever this guy did is how I think of spehs marines

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

I love this animation, but my god did they do bolters wrong.
Like, OK, I like the whole "lots of little 20mm grenades trapped in a force field, THEN exploding" bit. But the ROF and sound is all out to poo poo. Bolters aren't all "Frrrrrrrt" MG-42 rpm or anything like that. They go "CHUNKA. CHUNKA. CHUNKA."

That's my expert opinion on the subject. My uncle worked at the bolter factory.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah but pretty much any videogame where you play as a member of a given force is going to have you doing that. That's kinda part and parcel of making a videogame generally. If you play as the Orks in one of the Dawn of War games then you can single handedly kill 100s of space marines, probably without taking many losses.

Well, yes and no. In a DoW Ork game you're going to have to be swarming them with The Boyz, even if Gorgutz is a brick shithouse. Built out of depleted uranium bricks.
And at the same time in a DoW Marine game, you're going to have to pour out the Tactical Squads.

My point is, basically they can do whatever they loving want because "canon" goes every which way.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I don't think we need to get too hung up on "the canon" when it's designed, first and foremost, to persuade people to buy tiny metal dolls for grown-ups. (ie internal consistency or even logical soundness is completely secondary to "what's cool and will persuade people to play Eldar/SM/Orks/Nids" etc)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
As with anything; things matter or don't depending on the plot. If it behooves the author to make a space marine an undefeatable demigod then it is

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All I’m saying is nothing is immune to the purifying fires of the Emperor’s wrath and also this flamer the warden gave me for my Good Boy Points.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like the short story, I think really just a vignette, about a Space Marine who spends 15 years on an Ork-controlled planet waging a one-"man" war against the entire planetary population. By himself without any support, killing Orks all the way through until he gets extraction orders to fight to the top of a mountain so he can immediately be shipped off to another decade-long deployment. Very silly but the kind of cool poo poo that makes 40k fun.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Aqshy — Today 17:05
WHEN WILL THE PRE-ORDER BETA GO LIVE?
The pre-order beta will go live 10am PST/18:00 UTC/19:00 CET November 17.

So about 24 hours

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
everything is justified as fate-weaving Chaos entities witnessing something cool and going "that space-rambo had the audacity to hurl his giant space-knife at the ancient walking tank made out of living space-gonorrhea; I wanna see this play out" and acting accordingly

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

In space marine youre just one team of dozens, the ultramarines send a strike cruiser to the planet, and then by the time of the chaos invasion get a bunch more reinforcements.

Now in the moment to moment youre still definitely on the high scale of epic competency but they do show that more than just you and the boys are turning back the tide.

That said if you play on the higher difficulties you are surprisngly fragile, its a fun challenge.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 16, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dawn of War 2 along with Space Marine gets them right as far as my personal sense of what level of dangerousness a space marine is on the battlefield.

e: titus restoring his health by killing an enemy in a particularly angry way was extremely 40k and something that they managed to get right with a game that had a very messy development

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They should make all bolters match the way that they worked in Space Marine but with way more recoil.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Space Marine was the first (and only?) game that properly imparted the feeling that marines are agile and fast despite being incredibly weighty.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Corbeau posted:

Space Marine was the first (and only?) game that properly imparted the feeling that marines are agile and fast despite being incredibly weighty.

The weight and impact effects in space marine are great, especially when you could combine the thunder hammer and jetpack.

I think Darktide has it beat on the bolter now though. The chain weapons are apparently significantly improved since the beta.

https://youtu.be/KRBvHQPLTPM

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dan Abnett is their writer for the game and he has generally been pretty judicious about his use of space marines vs. normal humans. His novels (the non-HH ones) tend to omit space marines entirely except for rare instances, and when human characters kill them it's usually well-earned and doesn't trivialize them.

Space marines are boring and lame but they serve an important role in the setting by making the rest of us like the non-space marine humans more. Darktide having a big setpiece end boss battle (or several) that involve taking down the handful of Chaos marines behind it all would be smart. Making the Chaos marines seem like the superhuman enemies makes the player characters seem cooler having defeated them. So leaving them out of the game entirely would be a missed opportunity.

Kobal2 posted:

I love this animation, but my god did they do bolters wrong.
Like, OK, I like the whole "lots of little 20mm grenades trapped in a force field, THEN exploding" bit. But the ROF and sound is all out to poo poo. Bolters aren't all "Frrrrrrrt" MG-42 rpm or anything like that. They go "CHUNKA. CHUNKA. CHUNKA."

That's my expert opinion on the subject. My uncle worked at the bolter factory.

I dunno, in tabletop space marines have the bolter discipline rule that allows them to double the rapid fire ability of bolters and do so at normal range provided the model didn't move, i.e. they're bracing and rapid firing. The rate might be a bit high but the general idea that space marines can dig their heels in and mag dump a bolter is fairly on point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like an 8-foot-tall acid-spitting monster sheathed in the heaviest armor in the galaxy would be a good boss fight

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm going to take the guess that CSMs aren't in the core game. Well get them either in post release DLC or Darktide 2 when it becomes an obvious escalation point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Have Fatshark said anything about why it's Nurgle twice in a row? Is it just easier to explain zombie cultist swarms?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Have Fatshark said anything about why it's Nurgle twice in a row? Is it just easier to explain zombie cultist swarms?

Basically that. The skavenslave level units of other factions would be harder to make compelling to just scythe through in the hundreds. Plus some minor asset reuse doesn't hurt.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We need CSM so we can have ogryns show them who the real big boys are.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I'm pretty sure FatShark have explicitly "no space marines", loyalist or chaos.

Which will make a nice change, tbh.

fake edit: here for instance: https://www.shacknews.com/article/131153/warhammer-40k-darktide-space-marines

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zephro posted:

I'm pretty sure FatShark have explicitly "no space marines", loyalist or chaos.

Which will make a nice change, tbh.

fake edit: here for instance: https://www.shacknews.com/article/131153/warhammer-40k-darktide-space-marines

I think there's some wiggle room in that quote where he says 'no space marines at all' but then gives the reasons being wanting the players to have a normal person experience.

Also obviously they won't say 'the final boss is a chaos space marine sourcerer'

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Alchenar posted:

I think there's some wiggle room in that quote where he says 'no space marines at all' but then gives the reasons being wanting the players to have a normal person experience.

Also obviously they won't say 'the final boss is a chaos space marine sourcerer'
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/3387291961156025793/

quote:

Originally posted by [Fatshark] Hedge:
This game will not have Space Marines - neither playable nor as an antagonist.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Space Marines are a distinct faction from Chaos Space Marines, or Chaos generally.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ha okay, sorry for making you hunt for a better quote!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Hot take - space marines (chaos or otherwise) are loving boring and this have not having them makes it better.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Alchenar posted:

Ha okay, sorry for making you hunt for a better quote!
Hehe, no worries. I like it as a choice, tbh. Spess Mehreens are front and centre so often, it'll be nice not to have them for a change. Mechanicus has no marines and didn't suffer for it!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hey they said no space marines. They're allowed to have one.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm going to (try) to play this game tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Martout posted:

Aqshy — Today 17:05
WHEN WILL THE PRE-ORDER BETA GO LIVE?
The pre-order beta will go live 10am PST/18:00 UTC/19:00 CET November 17.

So about 24 hours

Check your local time with this handy infographic