Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wanna make more soup and I want to use my immersion blender more. I use it all the time for my green Chili but rarely anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I wanna make more soup and I want to use my immersion blender more. I use it all the time for my green Chili but rarely anything else.

What’s stopping you? Soup away!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nothing I just never really make soup except chicken noodle and different stews and chilis I make a lot. Guess I am looking for suggestions for the best tasting soups that I can go crazy with the immersion blender on. Guess its probably a good time of year to do some squash?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you have a preference between thin soups and thick soups

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really. I just wanna eat more soup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I missed the part where you said you wanted to use your immersion blender more. Here are some I like:

Acorn squash soup
Butternut squash soup
Tomato soup
Carrot ginger soup
Broccoli cheese soup
Sweet potato soup
Parsnip soup

Also if you want a less starchy mash potato substitute, you can boil rutabagas and blend them, they don’t turn to glue like blended potato does

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Potato leek soup is always a good blender option.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

JoshGuitar posted:

Potato leek soup is always a good blender option.

This guy soups.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mushroom bisque is one of my favorites, and perfect for the immersion blender.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Winter is good potage Crécy weather.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Potatoes and leek soup was a delicious student staple for me.

Asparagus and Jerusalem artichoke are also excellent soup bases.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sweet potato and peanut soup is a good one

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anything can be a soup if you add enough liquid

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anything can be a soup if you add enough liquid

Discovered this the first time I tried to make mashed potatoes

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Butternut squash with red lentils and peanut butter.
Zuppa di pasta e fagioli
If you make a soup with delicious Jerusalem fartichokes add some potato; it reduces the windy effect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't really like butternut squash but my wife made this soup that is basically half butternut half tomato and it is wonderful.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

DekeThornton posted:

Potatoes and leek soup was a delicious student staple for me.

Asparagus and Jerusalem artichoke are also excellent soup bases.

if you have jerusalem artichokes why would you use them to make soup when you can make fries instead??

tomato soup is the best soup (fact, not an opinion) and you can sneak a bunch of legumes into it if you've got picky children (or picky adults, like me, who dislike the texture of beans)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The best macaroni and cheese I ever had was a vegan one with butternut squash. Mind blowing. I went back to the same place months later and they changed the recipe and it wasn’t as good. That dish lives on only in my memory.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pumpkin apple bacon soup is divine

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

PokeJoe posted:

Pumpkin apple bacon soup is divine

How's this go? Sautee the pumpkins and apples in the bacon fat with aromatics add stock and blend?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Black/kidney/white bean soup. And if it's thick enough, you can use it for a dip, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good soup recs folks. Think I’m gonna do some cream of mushroom first.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How's this go? Sautee the pumpkins and apples in the bacon fat with aromatics add stock and blend?

Pretty much yeah. You can also roast the pumpkin or just use canned but it will taste best w fresh. It's amazing with kabocha. Thicken w roux and add some cream. Sage is a good herb to add but not necessary.

Save some crispy bacon for the top. Other great finishes are a swirl of sesame oil, toasted pumpkin seeds, and thinly sliced fresh chili pepper.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Anyone know anything about apples?

I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I usually have 1 with my lunch every day for the fiber and vitamins and it keeps me away from candy. But I don't like Red Delicious or Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet. I want something tart but not bitter, preferably something I can find at most American supermarkets.

I've tried Pink Lady and Fuji, and they're ok. I really want something as tart as a cranberry but I'm not sure if that exists, and I'm on the wrong coast for fresh cranberries to be common.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Have you had a cosmic crisp? It's a honeycrisp crossed w an enterprise apple; a less sweet honeycrisp essentially

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walla posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I usually have 1 with my lunch every day for the fiber and vitamins and it keeps me away from candy. But I don't like Red Delicious or Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet. I want something tart but not bitter, preferably something I can find at most American supermarkets.

I've tried Pink Lady and Fuji, and they're ok. I really want something as tart as a cranberry but I'm not sure if that exists, and I'm on the wrong coast for fresh cranberries to be common.

Braeburns have got a nice sharpness.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

PokeJoe posted:

Have you had a cosmic crisp? It's a honeycrisp crossed w an enterprise apple; a less sweet honeycrisp essentially

I've had that but it's still a bit too sweet for me. I generally like fruit that's kind of bitter and less sweet. I even prefer my bananas slightly green because once they're fully ripe they become too sweet and get turned into bread. Unfortunately mulberries and cranberries are too expensive for me right now and my teeth can't handle pomegranate.

I've seen the Enterprise apples though so I will buy some Saturday.

therattle posted:

Braeburns have got a nice sharpness.

Added to the list as well, but I don't recognize the name.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
You’ve gotta try Soleanna apples; they’ve got a whole festival for a reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Try a McIntosh, Macoun, Cortland for tart flavor. Why do you not like Granny Smith? That's the tartest variety I know

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Newtown Pippin are tart and get sweeter then longer you keep them (and they'll keep for months), although good luck finding them if you're not growing them yourself.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If you can find Gold Rush, they’re really crunchy and less sweet than Honeycrisp.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Walla posted:

I want something tart but not bitter

Walla posted:

I generally like fruit that's kind of bitter

I would suggest that apples are not the fruit you’re looking for, you want grapefruit, or maybe a blood orange.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Or kiwis.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I love grapefruit but they seem to be contraindicated with almost every medication it's possible to prescribe someone. Blood orange is a good call, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Duckbill posted:

I love grapefruit but they seem to be contraindicated with almost every medication it's possible to prescribe someone. Blood orange is a good call, though.

Small amounts are fine I think, I remember reading somewhere that the studies saying it was a problem had people drinking a quart. A cup a day should be fine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

therattle posted:

Butternut squash with red lentils and peanut butter.

You got a recipe for this you could share? This sounds hella good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Small amounts are fine I think, I remember reading somewhere that the studies saying it was a problem had people drinking a quart. A cup a day should be fine

I think it depends on the medication. My blood pressure medication suggests a 2 hour wait between taking it and consuming grapefruit.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my wisdom tooth is still infected so, for my last trick, i've just thrown a block of years-old minute rice into a pot with about 6-7 parts cold water. is this going to be one of my finer congees? who knows. will i still devour it like a dog going at a jar of peanut butter, because i miss eating real food instant of living entirely off meal replacement shakes? totally. i'll keep you all posted

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Walla posted:

Cranapple juice.

As far as apples go, I know you said Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet, but SweetTango apples are an incredible honeycrisp hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love a good tart apple. A little green demon that hits like a Warhead candy. God drat.