Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Wendell & Wild is visually great, has tons of talented voice actors and actresses, an awesome soundtrack and is the most boring thing I have seen in a really long time.

that final “battle” was a joke. youre going to waste Wolf Like Me on the protagonists annoying a few bulldozers? seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah there were just a lot of weird miscues in that flick. On paper it's a slam dunk but the execution was awful.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I hated the voice acting. At least in the first 30 minutes so far (as far as I've gotten). It's *really* wooden and bad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My wife and I have been watching bee and puppy cat, it’s a twee hipster millennial show it’s pretty chill and good tv if you’ve eaten too many weed gummies

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Also I hated the voice acting. At least in the first 30 minutes so far (as far as I've gotten). It's *really* wooden and bad.

the dad’s “noo” when the Tragic Thing happens in the opening scene is less ”mortal peril!” and more “dang it, misplaced the letter opener again”

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife and I have been watching bee and puppy cat, it’s a twee hipster millennial show it’s pretty chill and good tv if you’ve eaten too many weed gummies

I really enjoy the animation style. Very 80s anime with some softer modern elements. It's like if one of those lofi chillhop videos had a story

Top tier show to fall asleep to.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

:haibrow:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a YouTube channel with "mst3k broadcast versions" which basically means all the 90s comedy central commercials you can imagine and oh God, it's amazing. Lol. So much nostalgia

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Sorry for all the Poldark chat but I'm finding it pretty funny that they don't even try in the least bit to age up the cast even though the show is supposed to cover 20+ years.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

mcmagic posted:

Sorry for all the Poldark chat but I'm finding it pretty funny that they don't even try in the least bit to age up the cast even though the show is supposed to cover 20+ years.

Ah yes, the Outlander style of age makeup

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Deadite posted:

Ah yes, the Outlander style of age makeup

Adding one streak of gray hair to the two leads, and that's it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably better than the dusted-with-flour method of aging makeup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

Adding one streak of gray hair to the two leads, and that's it

They didn't even do that in Poldark!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Glad they aged up not-Khaleesi with an entirely different actor.

Not so glad with her becoming a sad mom who gets punished for things that aren't her fault.

But when is it a bad time to root for Targaryens?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best movie of 2022 is the montage of clips of Ross Poldark set to Enter the Ninja by Die Antwoord that I imagined

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
1899 day. :woop:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

For a second there I thought you were talking about the Yellowstone prequel, and I rolled my eyes. But then I remembered that it might be that fun looking German show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've heard pretty good things about the prequel. And this is coming from people who think Yellowstone is hot garbage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

these netflix price hikes are getting absurd

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

fleishman is in trouble is good so far. only two eps out

ok im watching 1899 now

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 17, 2022

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah 1883 is a really solid western, while Yellowstone is a complete dumpster fire. It's very odd.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah 1883 is a really solid western, while Yellowstone is a complete dumpster fire. It's very odd.

it was fine until this last season when it became a commercial for other taylor sheridan projects

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

From the start I found every character completely unbearable. I hate-watched it for two seasons before giving up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yellowstone started out ok, but it had a kind Sopranos problem where the main character is written as A Bad Guy but a certain demographic didn’t get the memo and thought that he was a hero.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

i sheepishly admit that i lost interest halfway through the last season of dark and never finished it. this one might do better for me since i dont have to read subtitles lol

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Yellowstone is the most compulsively watchable trash I’ve seen in a long time. I’m not ashamed to admit I love it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

My dad loves Yellowstone so I automatically assumed it was trash.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's right up there with Blue Bloods for immediate hard pass.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
My dad is a Kevin Costner fan boy so anything he does is good according to him.

Tin Cup is cool but other than that whatever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This is going to sound like I'm defending Yellowstone more than I want to for a show I've only partially watched, but it does a have a Sopranos element where the audience just ignores how pathetic the characters are because of aesthetic. It's a really generous comparison obviously.

These days Sopranos is viewed differently but as it aired that was a whole issue.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 18, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fleishman is in Trouble is pretty good so far.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Field Mousepad posted:

My dad is a Kevin Costner fan boy so anything he does is good according to him.

Tin Cup is cool but other than that whatever

When I was a kid I really liked his Robin Hood, and Mel Brooks taking the piss.

I even sort of liked The Postman but it's just at that point where it's an old white guy playing an old white guy with old white guy opinions and assumptions.

Just die already.

But I still like Justified and True Detective and all the cliches of welp, that.

If you aren't capable of hiring a writing staff that will take the piss then just gently caress right off.

Blue Bloods is a paean to hateful authoritarian nonsense that thought L&O wasn't severe enough.

Speaking of which I only like Sam Watterson in Godless now because it's a western my dad can not get through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I said it a long time ago in here, but my dad's single favorite movie of all time is Battleship (2012) so I take most of his recs with a grain of salt. Yellowstone may very well be good but that's all I've had to go on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I found Yellowstone kinda boring...

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Kostner for Yellowstone. Sam Elliot for 1883. Harrison Ford for 1923. You gotta hand it to Sheridan for assembling the "lazy Sunday afternoon with a beer" movie all-star team for his leads. Ford must be so happy to be in this kind of thing again instead of standing around in front of greenscreens for the Walt Disney company.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

High Warlord Zog posted:

Kostner for Yellowstone. Sam Elliot for 1883. Harrison Ford for 1923. You gotta hand it to Sheridan for assembling the "lazy Sunday afternoon with a beer" movie all-star team for his leads. Ford must be so happy to be in this kind of thing again instead of standing around in front of greenscreens for the Walt Disney company.

The guys on the WHM podcast call those "dadfernoon movies" which, you've gotta admit, is as catchy as it is accurate.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Watched the first two episodes of 1899, and I'm kind of on the fence so far on whether I want to continue watching.

Episode 1&2 spoilers + speculation:
So far the plot has just been painfully slow, like it wants to be a mystery box show, but has yet to give any reason at all to care about what is in the box. I feel like they maybe wanted to introduce all their characters first, but they've mostly been flat and predictable caricatures rather than anyone whose story I'd want to get invested in.

But at the same I'm seeing hints of a coming twist that I think I would really dig. The title sequence, the occasional use of modern-ish music, some of the non-english speaking characters using modern vernacular that would not fit into 1899, and the themes of insanity all point toward the Shipboard setting just being an illusion covering the actual sci-fi-adjacent setting of the show being at some point further into the future. I'm just fearing being let down by expecting the show to be cleverer than it actually is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

i sheepishly admit that i lost interest halfway through the last season of dark and never finished it. this one might do better for me since i dont have to read subtitles lol

Honestly the same thing happened for me at season two already. I guess that might've been mostly because I'd just come off Stranger Things and absolutely was not in the mood for even more 80s nostalgia baiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Pretty big stretch to lump Dark in with Stranger Things for anyone who’s finished both, particularly in terms of 80s revival. Very minor detail overall and not played for nostalgia.

Dark ties everything up so neatly by the series finale you’re left with a lot of admiration for the creators. It’s an amazing second watch knowing that everything was planned so meticulously.

Six episodes into 1899 and they’re really swinging for the fences. Hopefully they pull it off. My main issue at this point is that it doesn’t match the suffocating, existential dread that Dark nailed despite very similar themes. Maybe the last episodes will change that.