Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the US encouraging economic autoEurocide wasn’t enough now Europe’s bombing itself.. Based Asia would never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

lol biden rules

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

champ is Ukrainian, chomp is Russian

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

chiyampyiying at the byit

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

chiyampyiying at the byit

it's just byit, not the byit

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Russia's leverage at the moment is missile/drone strikes so it seems straight forward.

God, I know eve online has warped my brain when I read sentences like this

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

euphronius posted:

champ is Ukrainian, chomp is Russian

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Machomp is Albanian

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

chomping at the blyat

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Still a mystery.

https://www.wired.com/story/nord-stream-pipeline-explosion-dark-ships/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does the US worry about Patriot or I-Hawk, or whatever getting mapped by Russian EW? As much as they have been using this conflict as a test of Rivet Joint, testing the effectiveness of HARM and the various ECM, Home-on-Jam systems, Russian engagement methods and surveillance and engagement radars, I would expect some measure of hesitancy about providing truly effective SAMs to Ukraine, diplomatic considerations aside.

On my side of the house, Ukraine received mostly counter mortar radars and the older counter battery sets. Even then, compared to the amount of guns provided to them, the amount of Artillery Surveillance (EO) gear, other STA equipment, communications etc. and particularly the amount of radars has been small. That strikes me as a reasonable policy as the M777 being captured or analyzed does not endanger our operations to the degree that these would. Finally, where you can swap out D-30s for M777s in a battery, while still being less effective and having what I would consider limitations on employment, the Ukrainians are mostly using roving guns or firing by section anyways, so I don't think anyone is too bothered.

The guns are the striking arm of the battery, replacing elements of the Command Post, Recce, FOO, and the Battlefield Command Systems would pose a bigger problem. Plugging information from a Tall Mike radar into one of our CPs is not a simple task.

A SAM battery is similar. People think of the launchers and more specifically missiles, but it's the surveillance radars, engagement radars and command post that matter. Providing Ukraine with new SAMs means training them in completely new methods of operation, as SAMs engage in ways specific to the capabilities of the weapon and radars, and would require providing them with full equipment sets. That's not just a risk of revealing the workings of the system to a possible adversary, it's costly and would have a significant retraining time. That's if the hope is they use them optimally, which as I said with the guns, they're not doing, so I wouldn't rule it out or anything.

My own experience with this is limited to ADATS, the Oerlikon and Javelin (the SAM, not ATGM), and that's what our institutional experience and training materials are configured for. It would not be a quick conversion to swap in say the ZU-23-2, Igla/Verba, and there's no equivalent to ADATS. It would be doable, the Soviet guns have an equivalent to the Skyguard FC radar, though I don't know anything about their operation, anyone can learn how to use a MANPAD, but a conversion from ADATS to, I don't know, Tunguska, that's a doctrinal problem. Operating as an integrated system, that's a problem too.

I don't know, I realize the goal here is just to keep them in the field and keep the whole thing going, but allowing the Russians to get a really good look at NATO air defence systems would, in my opinion, not be worth the Ukrainians using them in a slapdash fashion.

Not that NASAMS is a Monkey Model, but it may be the more acceptable one to risk here rather than the heavy hitters.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Nov 16, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

in the case of sergei karjakin this is actually kind of true

he was born in simferopol in the crimea

he is also afaik the most vociferously pro-war out of all the russian top-tier chess players

I wonder how Tigran Petrosian would have felt about current events

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Does the US worry about Patriot or I-Hawk, or whatever getting mapped by Russian EW? As much as they have been using this conflict as a test of Rivet Joint, testing the effectiveness of HARM and the various ECM, Home-on-Jam systems, Russian engagement methods and surveillance and engagement radars, I would expect some measure of hesitancy about providing truly effective SAMs to Ukraine, diplomatic considerations aside.

On my side of the house, Ukraine received mostly counter mortar radars and the older counter battery sets. Even then, compared to the amount of guns provided to them, the amount of Artillery Surveillance (EO) gear, other STA equipment, communications etc. and particularly the amount of radars has been small. That strikes me as a reasonable policy as the M777 being captured or analyzed does not endanger our operations to the degree that these would. Finally, where you can swap out D-30s for M777s in a battery, while still being less effective and having what I would consider limitations on employment, the Ukrainians are mostly using roving guns or firing by section anyways, so I don't think anyone is too bothered.

The guns are the striking arm of the battery, replacing elements of the Command Post, Recce, FOO, and the Battlefield Command Systems would pose a bigger problem. Plugging information from a Tall Mike radar into one of our CPs is not a simple task.

A SAM battery is similar. People think of the launchers and more specifically missiles, but it's the surveillance radars, engagement radars and command post that matter. Providing Ukraine with new SAMs means training them in completely new methods of operation, as SAMs engage in ways specific to the capabilities of the weapon and radars, and would require providing them with full equipment sets. That's not just a risk of revealing the workings of the system to a possible adversary, it's costly and would have a significant retraining time. That's if the hope is they use them optimally, which as I said with the guns, they're not doing, so I wouldn't rule it out or anything.

My own experience with this is limited to ADATS, the Oerlikon and Javelin (the SAM, not ATGM), and that's what our institutional experience and training materials are configured for. It would not be a quick conversion to swap in say the ZU-23-2, Igla/Verba, and there's no equivalent to ADATS. It would be doable, the Soviet guns have an equivalent to the Skyguard FC radar, though I don't know anything about their operation, anyone can learn how to use a MANPAD, but a conversion from ADATS to, I don't know, Tunguska, that's a doctrinal problem. Operating as an integrated system, that's a problem too.

I don't know, I realize the goal here is just to keep them in the field and keep the whole thing going, but allowing the Russians to get a really good look at NATO air defence systems would, in my opinion, not be worth the Ukrainians using them in a slapdash fashion.

Not that NASAMS is a Monkey Model, but it may be the more acceptable one to risk here rather than the heavy hitters.

HAWK is officially old and Patriot has done deployments to places like Turkey while Russia was assisting the Syrian government with their civil war or northern Iraq while Russia was doing counter-ISIS. Patriot also operates in Poland and Slovakia right now.

I think the bigger issue with Patriot in Ukraine is likely cost, availability, time to train forces, sustainment, and security of Ukraine’s cyber infrastructure.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

speng31b posted:

it's just byit, not the byit

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't think they are worried about the Hawk (they are just clearing out old inventory), but the Patriot itself is more debatable since the Russians can experiment with both Russian and Iranian missiles to see what works (obviously this has also occured in Yemen/Saudi Arabia).

I would say the issue is also a certain amount of cost control and there perhaps some worries about pushing too much equipment, too far forward when the war is undecided. The Russians have been hitting infrastructure, but they have clearly (to the ire of Telegram war watchers) have still been pulling punches on some of their targets and could be hitting more critical power systems/plants to a greater extent they are now. The Russians are still "sending messages" and hoping the Americans pick up.

It is very likely there will be another phase when the war intensifies to an even greater extent and I think the AD situation will evolve.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The Russians have been hitting infrastructure, but they have clearly (to the ire of Telegram war watchers) have still been pulling punches on some of their targets and could be hitting more critical power systems/plants to a greater extent they are now.

lost in all the Poland missile news, Zelenskyy claimed yesterday that 10million were without power, but most of them were back with power today. Seems normal

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

lost in all the Poland missile news, Zelenskyy claimed yesterday that 10million were without power, but most of them were back with power today. Seems normal

Yeah, the Russians are hitting targets in a way to cause most outages but are not trying to collapse the entire grid. (Btw, I do very much think they could strike the remaining plants if they choose to do so. Many of the targets they are hitting are very much in similar range to the plants themsleves) Obviously, this isn't moving the needle much in terms of the balance of power.

(Btw, there is a case to be made that simply dragging this all out is not to the benefit of really anyone either, except I don't know, China.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Nov 16, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Why are you surprised at all?

Canada delenda est tbh.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Def need an edit of this that cuts to Putin blushin' and flexin'

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

Soon. South. Everyone will see everything. Some will hear. It's not Svatovo afterall.
(from t.me/donrf22/9270, via tgsa)

Donrf posted:

My question LNR or Zaporizhzhia now takes on a second meaning - where exactly is the main strike and where is the supporting one. And the main one seems to be south afterall.
(from t.me/donrf22/9272, via tgsa)

A bit cryptic, but I guess someone on the Russian side expects Ukraine to keep pushing.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

polish grain silo, go gently caress yourself

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/donrf22/9270, via tgsa)

(from t.me/donrf22/9272, via tgsa)

A bit cryptic, but I guess someone on the Russian side expects Ukraine to keep pushing.

wow what a shock! let’s see if the Russians successfully withdraw even further.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It was me I fired the missile at hte grain silo :twisted:

and I'm gonna do it again too :twisted:

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i thought silos LAUNCHED missiles

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

i thought silos LAUNCHED missiles

a grain silo launches grain, dummy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We're just breaking down and destroying silos to increase network synergy

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/riksdagen-beslutar-om-grundlagsandring-spionerilagen-blir-tryckfrihetsbrott

swedish gov making it illegal to blow the whistle by exposing secret information that might damage swedish international relations

sweden did nordstream, the truss-blinken text was just her relaying it, sweden did the act

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Time to invoke article 5 on Sweden

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

yeah lol if you publish something like the collateral murder video online or make comments about how erdogan maybe shouldn’t genocide the kurds you can get imprisoned for espionage, insanely cool and good

man we’re lucky to live in an actual factual democracy and not some arbitrary authoritarian hellhole

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

a grain silo launches grain, dummy

*Ben Carson voice* Joseph built 'em in Egypt...called 'em "pyramids"...

*snooooooore*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ukraine winning the second Battle of Shiloh

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at how stuff from yesterday has aged.

The spin on the Poland missile still being Russias fault owns.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Majorian posted:

*Ben Carson voice* Joseph built 'em in Egypt...called 'em "pyramids"...

*snooooooore*

Is that someone being smart in an other field and thinking they’re too smart for Egyptology, or someone who is mostly stupid except for one other field?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at how stuff from yesterday has aged.

The spin on the Poland missile still being Russias fault owns.

yeah everyone memory holed that faster than I've ever seen

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that someone being smart in an other field and thinking they’re too smart for Egyptology, or someone who is mostly stupid except for one other field?

its a brain surgeon playing too much civilization 2

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

speng31b posted:

yeah everyone memory holed that faster than I've ever seen

making donald trump jr look like the voice of reason. just incredible

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1592692688578834437

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted: