Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

No Wave posted:

This is the roughest abyss in a really long time (and almost certainly the hardest ever in terms of DPS required but that's usually true). Obnoxious hound room, thunder manifestation, 8 million hp of potato sacks room, extreme lethality lawachurls, bowcheck, and then ok 12-3-2 is easy. But they really dialed it up hard.

Definitely the most I've had to switch up teams and strategize. Had to dust off my Venti for 9-11. Love to see so many suck-able mobs though. 12 took a few tries/edits. I'll miss brainless Rational/Freeze abyss but it's also kinda nice to dust off some characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Totally just did the idiot move and threw a classic Taser team at the Dendro Cube. Time to abandon that run.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's not really valid in Abyss because of the time factor but TIL :

Taser can kill the cube, it just takes much longer.

You can Bloom the core (cuz its always got Dendro) during the vulnerability phase to deal Dendro damage to it, which fills the bar gradually.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

This is the roughest abyss in a really long time (and almost certainly the hardest ever in terms of DPS required but that's usually true). Obnoxious hound room, thunder manifestation, 8 million hp of potato sacks room, extreme lethality lawachurls, bowcheck, and then ok 12-3-2 is easy. But they really dialed it up hard.

They heard us saying the abyss has been too easy and responded.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
At least they didn't put in Ruin Sentinels (and Graders to a lesser extent) who have RNG on whether they decide to waste your time loving around from a distance

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They heard us saying the abyss has been too easy and responded.

Yeah, that's fine. I'm just not sure why they built floor 12 upside down and put the hard room first.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I figure putting the hardest stuff first would be preferred, so you don't have to keep jumping through the same couple hoops to get your 36*.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Depends. On one hand you can retry the hard part with new teams immediately. On the other hand thunder manifestation will gatekeep a lot of teams you might want to use to three star the other floors.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How much loving HP does those knights have :stare:

Guess they loaded all the troublesome enemies onto floor 12, that's a rough floor. Can't have zhongli against the knights because you fight the rifthounds on the previous chamber. Xingqiu's resistance to interruption isn't doing poo poo because of how hard those knights dogpile on you. I think I'll try a Yelan freeze team on the first half. The aeon blight drake is a boss I have no experience with so I wasn't really expecting to get 36* on my first try.

If 12-1a wasn't entirely rifthounds I'd consider Diona but it is entirely rifthounds and Diona just doesn't heal enough for that.

e: Knights are easy with permafreeze, but I have no clue how to defeat this aeon blight drake it takes me 3 minutes just to do that half.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 16, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Knights are freezable. Venti + hydro + cryo makes them a breeze. I don't think they ever attacked

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Yeah agreed, this was a hard abyss. I had to use a few different teams and reset a few times to 36*.

I kinda liked it honestly. It was something that I couldn't just E and Q and dash cancel my way to 36* with Raiden National and Hu Tao/ZL.

I ended up used Nahida/Yelan/Jean/Fischl against the drake. It was my first time taking Nahida and Jean and Fischl to floor 12, and was a nice change of pace. Also C2 Jean being useful makes me feel less bad about losing every single 50/50.

Sanctum posted:

e: Knights are easy with permafreeze, but I have no clue how to defeat this aeon blight drake it takes me 3 minutes just to do that half.

Use an archer to snipe the two glowing spots on its shoulder to get it on the ground quickly, and then just hit it hard.

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 16, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
My mushroom buddies...!

You can't do this to me mhy, you'll regret it!!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MoonCrab posted:

My mushroom buddies...!

You can't do this to me mhy, you'll regret it!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So I guess it went without saying that the third of the prize money that was intact is funding Haniya's ranch?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I was thinking the other day, which common scrub enemies do we have left you can beat up entirely guilt free? Treasure hoarders I guess (from a point of view they are essentially just non-union adventurers, but thats okay because this is a union shop), if they give the specters a tragic backstory its going to leave us just slimes and whopperflowers. I was specifically thinking that when we passed by some hilichurls and Paimon suggested we destroy their food supply so they become too weak to cause trouble. Which, and I am not a war lawyer, I think might be a war crime even if we HADNT established their sad backstory in the chasm.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I bet that behind the hilichurl masks, they are all completely jokerfied

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
some of the nobushi are evil ghosts with dark auras instead of Regular Dudes, you can beat those ones up guilt-free. mini rift dogs are jerks too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The electro and cryo witches have tragic backstories? The mirror maidens? I never really thought of the ruin golems or geovishaps as tragic.

I might need to read the bestiary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The witches are just Fatui, and whenever you actually talk to a Fatui it turns out that they are less mustache twirling evil and more like... just people doing a job. Which I think to a lot of people makes them sympathetic.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The fatui, outside some named characters tend to come off as just folks and/or orphans brainwashed since childhood. I dont think of the golems as common scrub enemies as such (my rule of thumb for that is; if I've every had to mark a location on a map to grind your drops you arent a common scrub enemy). I'll give you the abyss mages, but again, not really common in the way the fatui, the treasure hoarders, hilichurls, fungi and desert nomads are. Geovishaps I plain forgot existed tbh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Clarste posted:

The witches are just Fatui, and whenever you actually talk to a Fatui it turns out that they are less mustache twirling evil and more like... just people doing a job. Which I think to a lot of people makes them sympathetic.

also the fatui are obviously working on the whole attack and dethrone god thing and therefore the good guys, even if their methods are a little unscrupulous

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The fatui have a monopoly on all the most evil humans in the story. They're also insanely unbelievably powerful with it being common knowledge that the top 3 are stronger than archons. It's kind of crazy that a real world nationality was so firmly attached to this crazy country in the first place. The fatui we come to like either have totally harmless missions like Viktor or honorably disobey their orders (like Luchovka, the sumeru runaways, Anton, or the islands fatui). I try very hard to see Snezhnaya as good guys but it is just not possible at the moment, even if the Tsaritsa's mission is somehow just there are so many bad guys in the organization who know nothing about it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's an eastern rpg, the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles is obviously secretly fighting against an even bigger, badder god who is the TRUE foe

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

The fatui have a monopoly on all the most evil humans in the story. They're also insanely unbelievably powerful with it being common knowledge that the top 3 are stronger than archons. It's kind of crazy that a real world nationality was so firmly attached to this crazy country in the first place. The fatui we come to like either have totally harmless missions like Viktor or honorably disobey their orders (like Luchovka, the sumeru runaways, Anton, or the islands fatui). I try very hard to see Snezhnaya as good guys but it is just not possible at the moment, even if the Tsaritsa's mission is somehow just there are so many bad guys in the organization who know nothing about it.

Signora, Tart, and Scara at least have the excuse of deeply traumatizing backstories they never got proper therapy for. Dottore appears to have been a sociopathic Mengele piece of poo poo even before the Akademiya threw him out.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

SiKboy posted:

Treasure hoarders I guess (from a point of view they are essentially just non-union adventurers, but thats okay because this is a union shop),

They are thieves who gladly attack people trying to find, like, family heirlooms and poo poo just so they can get a quick buck, you really don't need to do any lateral thinking to view them as unabashed bad guys.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just because some of them are bandits doesn't mean they're all bandits. Mostly we see them hanging around ruins, minding their own business, and then we attack them on sight.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I feel bad killing Eremites who just wanna chill and play their card games, but I need those bandanas

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

serefin99 posted:

They are thieves who gladly attack people trying to find, like, family heirlooms and poo poo just so they can get a quick buck, you really don't need to do any lateral thinking to view them as unabashed bad guys.

There are at least a few times where the traveler and paimon have ventured into a temple/tomb/cavern/ruin/domain to loot it for treasure then murdered a whole mess of treasure hunters for the crime of breaking into the place to loot it for treasure. But like... in a bad way I guess? Unlike us who arent treasure motivated (as long as you ignore paimon and everything she says when accepting any quest ever). I'm not saying no treasure hunters come off as bad individuals in any quest (just like individual fatui can be mustache twirling baddies), but all those treasure hunters wandering around northwestern Liyue hunting for buried treasure who I murdered and then investigated where they were digging to find the underground treasure? Kind of feel like they werent doing anything the traveler wasnt also doing.

Plus I've lost count of the number of Hillichurl camps I've wiped out because I was gliding by and noticed that they had a treasure chest, so I feel like the traveler is on shaky ground with looking down on people for attacking others for money.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Plus I've lost count of the number of Hillichurl camps I've wiped out because I was gliding by and noticed that they had a treasure chest

It's at least a number less than your cumulative treasure chests opened, which you can count in your achievements tabs.

Absolutely agree that painting Treasure Hoarders as anything different from what we're doing (I guess success is the only differentiator) is nutso.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I figure that's why the prologue, first Dain chapter, and first part of Inazuma Archon quest firmly establish the Traveler as a not squeaky clean hero: they are a mercenary who first and foremost is concerned with finding their sibling, and it turns out there's a bunch of moral and ethical lines they don't mind crossing should push come to shove. Remember, they were ready to bail on Teyvat five centuries ago, so they aren't particularly attached to the people living in it for the most part. They work for Adventurer's Guild to make some money in the meantime, and presumably make use of the Guild's intel network. Any good that happens from their actions is frankly incidental from their perspective.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It took me a full 3 minutes of looking for the author I was supposed to photograph until I remembered how this event worked.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

SiKboy posted:

I was thinking the other day, which common scrub enemies do we have left you can beat up entirely guilt free?
Slimes are just sufficiently-condensed elemental energy that follows a rudimentary instinct to consume and grow. Specters are assholes, and I'm honestly not sure how they differ from slimes in terms of origination. Maybe an evolutionary branch?

Whopperflowers are intelligent/sentient and can grow to imitate human beings nearly flawlessly, living in society among them. They're the closest things to skinwalkers in GI.

Rift wolves are enemies of every living thing and even Teyvat itself, destabilizing the elements with their attacks and presence. They're the closest things to a pure "evil" enemy we have.

So yeah, there are still a few random enemy types we can butcher without feeling bad.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Maxwells Demon posted:

It's at least a number less than your cumulative treasure chests opened, which you can count in your achievements tabs.

Absolutely agree that painting Treasure Hoarders as anything different from what we're doing (I guess success is the only differentiator) is nutso.

Well, a lot of the treasure hoarders in the chasm were doing something different from the traveler.

They were mining. In the mine that was the primary manual labor employment until it was closed down for classified reasons.

Presumably, said closing rendered a lot of them unemployed.

Yeah attacking them was real lovely.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've always wondered why some of the hoarders batman smoke vanish and others just fall down dead when defeated. Like, murder is ok, but only in moderation i guess

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've always wondered why some of the hoarders batman smoke vanish and others just fall down dead when defeated. Like, murder is ok, but only in moderation i guess

You kill them to fast before they could decide to run away.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What’s up with the test subject line they say?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What’s up with the test subject line they say?

Presumably they're using you as a "test subject" for their bathtub elemental molotovs. It's meant to be ironic because they're throwing homemade napalm at you and laughing about it.

:thejoke:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Captain France posted:

Well, a lot of the treasure hoarders in the chasm were doing something different from the traveler.

They were mining. In the mine that was the primary manual labor employment until it was closed down for classified reasons.

Presumably, said closing rendered a lot of them unemployed.

Yeah attacking them was real lovely.

The biggest difference between the Adventurer's Guild and the Treasure Hoarders is that the Adventurer's Guild does what it does on the behalf of 'society' while the Treasure Hoarders do not. While that might not seem like all that much of a difference. It is presumedly all the difference in the world for the folks Hoyoverse has to get their stories approved by.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 17, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Teyvat has its own "laws"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm surprised more people don't question the existence and purpose of paimon