Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

njsykora posted:

Gamers Nexus melt Nvidia 12-pin connectors, including the one Igor said was the best. Short version, it happens when it's not inserted properly, but that can come from a lot of things including a badly made cable that doesn't make a proper connection despite being inserted "correctly". He specifically said there is no perfect connector, it can happen with any 12VHPWR connector and stressing about it can make it worse since you're increasing the risk of debris getting into the connector and increasing the chances of it happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ

? Right after all

Also, the 12-pin insertion cycle FUD? Maybe legit due to foreign object debris causing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

Gamers Nexus melt Nvidia 12-pin connectors, including the one Igor said was the best. Short version, it happens when it's not inserted properly, but that can come from a lot of things including a badly made cable that doesn't make a proper connection despite being inserted "correctly". He specifically said there is no perfect connector, it can happen with any 12VHPWR connector and stressing about it can make it worse since you're increasing the risk of debris getting into the connector and increasing the chances of it happening.

This is gonna end with "high purity" gold plated cables isn't it.
The audiophiles were right all along :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The solution for me was to make sure Afterburner wasn't running during Nvidia driver updates.

Yeah this has been recommended for a while now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yikes at that cable someone sent to GN which seems to have only been inserted about 2/3rds of the way

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

absolutely chuffed that they also managed to burn igor less than one minute into the video

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pyrotek posted:

? Right after all

Also, the 12-pin insertion cycle FUD? Maybe legit due to foreign object debris causing issues.

It’s nowhere near that obvious on the GPU side and I’m really wondering if there isn’t an issue on the GPU side of the connectors too that makes it harder than normal to tell.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Apparently the connector doesn't really click when you plug it in. GN showed a clip of what looked like a cable being almost all the way in and then coming loose when they wiggle the cable around. I can see someone putting the card in, not quite getting the connector seated, and then carrying their PC back to their desk and the big honking mess of cables pulling themselves back out a bit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TomR posted:

Apparently the connector doesn't really click when you plug it in. GN showed a clip of what looked like a cable being almost all the way in and then coming loose when they wiggle the cable around. I can see someone putting the card in, not quite getting the connector seated, and then carrying their PC back to their desk and the big honking mess of cables pulling themselves back out a bit.

What I take away from all this is Seat Once, Seat Hard.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
GN goes into pretty good detail. There is more than one way there could be a problem, but only one where they themselves made it melt. The video is well worth the watch. I love GN for this kind of deep dive and actually getting to the bottom of things.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
another NVIDIA gen launched, another ridiculous FUD story hyped up by anti-NVIDIA memesters put down. :clint:

(hey, what a coincidence, those previous FUD stories were from Igor too!)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TomR posted:

GN goes into pretty good detail. There is more than one way there could be a problem, but only one where they themselves made it melt. The video is well worth the watch. I love GN for this kind of deep dive and actually getting to the bottom of things.

the thing about actual insertion damage is that it wouldn’t happen on the first cycle, it’s “after a bunch of cycles the connector pins get bent up and don’t clamp as well and the pin surface gets scraped up and doesn’t make contact evenly”, so, that’s not what’s happening on day-1 launch fires. That’s a “this could be a problem down the road” scenario.

The batch of fires we saw were purely user error. People didn’t plug the connector in all the way, and the connector doesn’t provide adequate feedback (no click) to assist that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCI-SIG really missed the mark by not using the sense pins to detect improper insertion

Apparently there's a revision in the works to implement that

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If the sense pins were shorter then the card would shut off when the connector isn't fully seated, which would be great. I guess they didn't think to do that because the old 8 pin connectors have a much more positive seating feedback, and also maybe they fall all the way out easily if the clip hasn't engaged so they don't get a chance to heat up and melt. I don't know. Maybe they didn't think of any of this when they designed the thing. Right now at least we know the melting is rare, and how to deal with it going forward. It's user error, but the connector enabled that user error IMO.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

The batch of fires we saw were purely user error. People didn’t plug the connector in all the way, and the connector doesn’t provide adequate feedback (no click) to assist that.

If you can’t easily tell if something is plugged in I’m not sure calling it purely user error is warranted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

If you can’t easily tell if something is plugged in I’m not sure calling it purely user error is warranted.

Yeah I'm in this camp.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

repiv posted:

PCI-SIG really missed the mark by not using the sense pins to detect improper insertion

Apparently there's a revision in the works to implement that

I think back to the "why UK plugs are better" video in times like this.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

One of the confounding factors, at least as presented in GN's vid, is that it isn't just 'unseated', but rather, '*very* unseated'. They couldn't induce failure with a 'slightly' unseated connector. And inspection of failed cables sent in by users appeared to bear that out, one example having fully 1/3 of the length unseated.

That said, when you get to the bit of the vid where they advise on how to verify the cable is properly seated, it certainly seems like a better design would make it easier to (a) insert the cable properly, and (b) know it is properly inserted.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

3060 Tis are finally dropping below $400 new, Newegg has a bunch of Zotac cards for $380

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my 6800XT. It backscreens in Cyberpunk, Control and Hitman 3 very consistently within 10-40 minutes. Elden Ring runs fine. Unity occasionally black screens if I leave it open for days, and it once black screened during a Teams call.

I've tried factory resets, different drivers etc. The funny thing is that it breezes through stress tests. I've tried stress testing the CPU, RAM, VRAM and power draw with no issues. Temps all stay within range. I wish I could produce the black screen more consistently outside of a handful of games. Within those games it doesn't matter if the settings are minimum or maxed out. All logging programs fail during the crash, so it's hard to tell exactly what is going on. After a crash if I go directly back into the game it will crash again almost immediately, which makes me think that something on the card is overheating that doesn't necessarily have its temps monitored.

I'm going to try to dig up another computer and swap out the graphics cards, since I'm not yet 100% sold it's the GPU. I see a lot of people with the same card complaining that they sent it back due to black screens, but I'm not sure if that's confirmation bias on my part.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

TomR posted:

I've had my RTX 3060 Ti for a day now and I'm really impressed with the productivity speed up over my GTX 1070. Blender is way faster now. I can't imagine what it would be like to use a 4090. Those things would be worth every penny if you were being paid.

I'm also a big fan of the 3060 Ti after having picked one up ~2 weeks ago.

This is my Folding@Home points per day. If you look very closely you can find the point where four GTX 1650 cards and a 750 Ti were replaced by one 3060 Ti.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

mdxi posted:

I'm also a big fan of the 3060 Ti after having picked one up ~2 weeks ago.

This is my Folding@Home points per day. If you look very closely you can find the point where four GTX 1650 cards and a 750 Ti were replaced by one 3060 Ti.

Nice.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my 6800XT. It backscreens in Cyberpunk, Control and Hitman 3 very consistently within 10-40 minutes. Elden Ring runs fine. Unity occasionally black screens if I leave it open for days, and it once black screened during a Teams call.

I've tried factory resets, different drivers etc. The funny thing is that it breezes through stress tests. I've tried stress testing the CPU, RAM, VRAM and power draw with no issues. Temps all stay within range. I wish I could produce the black screen more consistently outside of a handful of games. Within those games it doesn't matter if the settings are minimum or maxed out. All logging programs fail during the crash, so it's hard to tell exactly what is going on. After a crash if I go directly back into the game it will crash again almost immediately, which makes me think that something on the card is overheating that doesn't necessarily have its temps monitored.

I'm going to try to dig up another computer and swap out the graphics cards, since I'm not yet 100% sold it's the GPU. I see a lot of people with the same card complaining that they sent it back due to black screens, but I'm not sure if that's confirmation bias on my part.

Can you try this registry hack please?
It's the latest panacea for the 6000 series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

3060 Tis are finally dropping below $400 new, Newegg has a bunch of Zotac cards for $380

Daamn there are 3070s in the $400 range too, that's about what I paid for my 1070 years ago. Granted that like midway through its generation, but still much more sensible than $1800 4080.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The fact that THIS is not properly engaged is probably why we get failures. It looks like the cable is plugged in, but then you try to force your side panel on because your massive loving GPU just doesn't quite fit in your case and you slide your panel into place and the friction of the cable against the side panel yanks the cable out at an angle and now your GPU is burning.

Hopefully cable revisions can help in the future.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 16, 2022

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

repiv posted:

trying out warzone 2 and it's nice to see DLAA in there, there was never any good reason for DLSS to be exclusively limited to upscaling scenarios

please respawn, a crumb of DLSS/DLAA/FSR2 in apex respawn, your TAA sucks

:pray:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The AA in Persona 5 is pretty bad too. It’s an example of an undemanding game where DLSS would still be nice. If for no other reason that regular supersampling requires a whole lot more (electric) power.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just checked, and there are actually still a few 4080s in stock at newegg for around $1200. That's different to what we saw with the 4090. Either there's more 4080 inventory than there was 4090 (which I doubt is true), or there's a lot less demand for it. Either way, I still expect it to be fully out of stock for a month or so once the remaining launch inventory goes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just checked, and there are actually still a few 4080s in stock at newegg for around $1200. That's different to what we saw with the 4090. Either there's more 4080 inventory than there was 4090 (which I doubt is true), or there's a lot less demand for it. Either way, I still expect it to be fully out of stock for a month or so once the remaining launch inventory goes.

Looks like just the Gigabyte $1269 currently at that price point.

The MSI I bought this morning has changed to 'preparing', yay! I really wanted the FE but that wasn't happening.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Looks like just the Gigabyte $1269 currently at that price point.

The MSI I bought this morning has changed to 'preparing', yay! I really wanted the FE but that wasn't happening.

Newegg is filtering out a couple in-stock items for some reason if you're filtering for "in-stock only." There's also a Gigabyte Eagle OC for $1240 and a Zotac AMP whatever for $1400.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Josh Lyman posted:

I understand the purpose of testing GPUs at 4K to evaluate their horsepower, but those same reviewers say gaming at 4K is kinda dumb and 1440p is the sweetspot. Yet they either skip or don't really discuss the 1440p performance when "cheapest card that can do 1440p 165fps" is what's most relevant for most people.

what's relevant for most people is still 1080p. 1440p is indeed much better value for money than 4K and is gaining ground, but it's far from standard still. reviewers do usually test & discuss 1440p performance though, idk what you mean

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DF did a video covering performance improvements on plague tale requiem and the gap between the consoles and current PC hardware is massive

all relative to PS5

quote:

with exact console settings, vs ps5
5700 - 78%
2060S - 86.5%
2070S - 103.8%
Series X - 123%
2080Ti - 146.7%
6800XT - 173.1%
3080 - 188.4%
4090 - 372.8%
4090 / FG - 500%
(taken from a resetera post)

the XSX performing materially better is interesting too

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

DF did a video covering performance improvements on plague tale requiem and the gap between the consoles and current PC hardware is massive

all relative to PS5

(taken from a resetera post)

the XSX performing materially better is interesting too

This is really interesting, but also the PS5 looks like an insane value, at $399 2 years ago.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's a reasonable price for a clean used 3080? Really torn between that and waiting for an XTX. I'm sort of all over the map in terms of what I really want out of a television-hooked-PC 🤔

Yes I am very bad at setting a budget.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
If going second hand i've seen quite a few 3080s in the 500-600$ range, XTX might be worth waiting for though.

4080s being in stock for quite a while, looks like they aren't flying off the shelves.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I caved and bought one so that’s one less at newegg

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Can you try this registry hack please?
It's the latest panacea for the 6000 series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/

Ah, thanks for the help but it actually turned out to just be a vbios update that I needed. I didn't even know that was a thing, I thought drivers would take care of everything! I've been running Control and Cyberpunk and everything seems stable.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

GN said don't pull the cable taunt laterally multiple times but during the whole thing their test to make sure it was fully inserted was to wiggle it left and right fairly roughly is pretty funny. Also the picture of the not fully inserted failure seemed to show swelling or something above the point it was inserted which indicates that the connection is to tight without grease to me.

I'd say it's mostly a connector design issue still.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's both, they usually have a higher inventory as you go down the chain. But yeah, I also think there is just way less demand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The math just sucks. I imagine the people who can afford a 4080 would prefer to get a 4090 for a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The math just sucks. I imagine the people who can afford a 4080 would prefer to get a 4090 for a bit more.

Yeah you are already well north of 1k might as well spend more to get the best.