Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skewetoo posted:

I haven't seen any, is it any good?

their stock is up 32% ytd lol

but just wait until next year-ish when we start hearing about how we're dangerously under-equipped now after sending all of our explodeybois to ukraine and now we need new shinier ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hatebag posted:

Could they have deliberately targeted that grain silo with an anti-missile missile? Or is an accident that they're making use of more likely?

Ukrainian S300s are precious and being SAMs have dogshit CEP so just landing on the right side close to the border would be something of an accomplishment. Plus if tracked they'd show a very different flight profile from an incoming Russian cruise missile, and the 5V55 series tend to leave a lot of identifiable debris - as has happened here.

While the preferred narrative for most governments involved is for it to have been an Ukrainian SAM that missed or had its target splashed and coasted or maybe simply malfunctioned, as it considerably reduces NATO escalation risk, it's in Ukraine's self-interest to bang whatever tune sounds more provocatory, which the intercept of a Russian inbound over Polish territory obviously is.

Either way the Poles can fault Russia for creating a situation in which Ukrainians were hurling large numbers of S300s in the first place.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Weka posted:

What is Russia losing by extending this if they are limiting casualties? A little unrest at home but mostly everyone ignores it? The cost of munitions, balanced against increased oil and gas profits?

If they're limiting casualties is doing a lot of work here. Obviously they're not seeing world war levels of fatalities, but even by their own numbers they've lost more soldiers (not including mercenaries or Ukrainian splinter republic proxy forces) than the US lost in all its wars this century, and relatively conservative estimates still put them at more fatalities in less than one year than the entire Soviet Union lost in their own war in Afghanistan.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukraine specifically said their war plan, which they have executed nearly to the tee, requires drawing NATO in.

Just saying.

as a paradox gamer, using your stronger allies to win your wars is just good strategy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at how stuff from yesterday has aged.

The spin on the Poland missile still being Russias fault owns.

that is still the Ukrainian position though.
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1592928556635471873?s=20&t=2aEkSXR81wmoNWKGko4yAQ

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Either way the Poles can fault Russia for creating a situation in which Ukrainians were hurling large numbers of S300s in the first place.

yeah, it kinda falls flat after all the initial derangement, but they're getting extra air defense from NATO and Ukraine's probably getting more air defense from NATO too, so no one really has anything to complain about.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

honestly, he should keep saying this stuff. drawing a divide between the NATO narrative and his own only hurts him in the long run by reminding people he's not the most credible source.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I wonder how long can the US keep propping Ukraine up at this rate. My guess max 4 years and min 1 more year.

But I do think Putin has less runaway to burn than Biden. So maybe China should start more serious support to Russia sometime next year.

The more resource US spend in the European theater, the better it is for China. Basically China should roll their own lendlease program. Russia has way more natural resource to pay back to China than Ukraine.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

but i guess as far as Zelenskyy's concerned it all still helps distract from stuff like the UN human rights statement that came out talking about how not only Russia but also Ukraine is torturing and summary executing prisoners, violating the Geneva convention by prosecuting combatants, sham trials, or the purges in Kherson they won't let reporters close to, etc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

speng31b posted:

honestly, he should keep saying this stuff. drawing a divide between the NATO narrative and his own only hurts him in the long run by reminding people he's not the most credible source.

There's going to be some folks too who take Zelensky's side and start disbelieving NATO whenever they contradict each other which will be funny to see. Countdown to someone calling NATO tankies over this

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

speng31b posted:

yeah, it kinda falls flat after all the initial derangement, but they're getting extra air defense from NATO and Ukraine's probably getting more air defense from NATO too, so no one really has anything to complain about.

The families of the dead beg to differ.

But yes, Ukraine and Poland are getting things they want, which is why Zelensky's insistence on a Russian intercept being part of the narrative is not what we'd call huh, bloc discipline.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1592966202955075586

Conspiratiorist has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Nov 16, 2022

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There's going to be some folks too who take Zelensky's side and start disbelieving NATO whenever they contradict each other which will be funny to see. Countdown to someone calling NATO tankies over this

nato does have a lot of tanks, really makes u think :tinfoil:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

The families of the dead beg to differ.

we should probably put a stop to this whole war thing as soon as possible

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

speng31b posted:

we should probably put a stop to this whole war thing as soon as possible

Since Russia apparently prefers to retreat than meet battle, giving the AFU support till they push them out might be the fastest way to accomplish that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Since Russia apparently prefers to retreat than meet battle, giving the AFU support till they push them out might be the fastest way to accomplish that.

I think both sides agreeing to negotiate a ceasefire is probably fastest, but it's possible Russia will just keep retreating from every fight back to nearly prewar borders, in which case you might be right. Unfortunately I doubt that will be the case, so pumping the AFU full of arms will continue to be a disaster with far reaching consequences.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1592942337273266177

Russian engineers have been a bit busy for a while.

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1592893257025220608

Ukraine seems to have a hard time fixing this bridge even after nothing's been shot at it for months.

Военный Осведомитель posted:

"Motovilikha has sent a batch of Tornado-G and Tornado-S to the troops.

The military division of Motovilikha Plants, ZAO Special Design Bureau, sent Tornado-G and Tornado-S multiple launch rocket systems to the Russian Ministry of Defense as part of the state defense order.

The 122-mm Tornado-G multiple launch rocket system is designed to engage artillery and mortar batteries, air defense units, rear facilities, and enemy motorized infantry units in concentration areas. The fighting vehicle is equipped with an automated guidance and fire control system.

The 300-mm Tornado-C multiple launch rocket system is a deep upgrade of the Smerch fighting vehicle. It is designed to defeat group targets, tactical missiles, anti-aircraft systems and military-industrial infrastructure at long-range approaches.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/93465, via tgsa)

New batch of Tornado MLRS, production line was asserted to be going to 24/7 shifts around a few weeks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If they're limiting casualties is doing a lot of work here. Obviously they're not seeing world war levels of fatalities, but even by their own numbers they've lost more soldiers (not including mercenaries or Ukrainian splinter republic proxy forces) than the US lost in all its wars this century, and relatively conservative estimates still put them at more fatalities in less than one year than the entire Soviet Union lost in their own war in Afghanistan.

It's a quibble but it's kinda funny so I'll mention that Shoigu's figures are 5937 deaths, coincidentally squeaking under the USA's death count for Iraq and Afghanistan of 6817.
What conservative estimates are you referring to? BBC and Mediazone's, where they arbitrarily double the confirmed casualty count?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Weka posted:

It's a quibble but it's kinda funny so I'll mention that Shoigu's figures are 5937 deaths, coincidentally squeaking under the USA's death count for Iraq and Afghanistan of 6817.
What conservative estimates are you referring to? BBC and Mediazone's, where they arbitrarily double the confirmed casualty count?

Oops yeah I got things mixed up and mistook the number of deaths BBC and Mediazone were able to confirm killed by name (8,712) with the official count. And yeah, any estimate is going to have some level of arbitrariness to it, so maybe they're using the wrong multiplier there idk. Russia's definitely covering up the real number though, and the estimate they gave is much, much lower than the propaganda number given by Ukraine and Western intelligence, so I assume they were at least aiming for something plausible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I wonder how long can the US keep propping Ukraine up at this rate. My guess max 4 years and min 1 more year.

But I do think Putin has less runaway to burn than Biden. So maybe China should start more serious support to Russia sometime next year.

The more resource US spend in the European theater, the better it is for China. Basically China should roll their own lendlease program. Russia has way more natural resource to pay back to China than Ukraine.

Endlessly. The USA will just print however much money it wants like Zimbabwe and dare anyone to call them on it. The money to Ukraine (and all the skimming off the top) won't cease.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The liar Zelensky will never be punished.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Endlessly. The USA will just print however much money it wants like Zimbabwe and dare anyone to call them on it. The money to Ukraine (and all the skimming off the top) won't cease.

The US isn’t fully funding Ukraine though, after their spending before its infrastructure was hit came from printing. The US will keep throwing them but but enough to find their expenses is a lot more unclear.

I could believe at 8k dead/24k casualties, it is just the DOD admitted that the Ukrainians took at least 100k. We won’t know anything accurate for a while.

I do think Russian strategy is literally to wait to the the US comes to the table.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Nov 16, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US in theory can print money endlessly but they eventually stopped in Afghanistan. Didn't even print that extra plane load of cash to Taliban so they could leave Kabul with the slightest bit of diginty.

In the end it comes down to production capacity, how fast can the west, particularly the US MIC make half way decent weapons versus how fast the Russia/Iran/China camp can put together kamikaze 136s. If China take the gloves off, they will have much better drones to sell to Russia, but Xi and Biden are not likely to flip the poker table in the next two years. Not even Kevin McCarhy visiting Taiwan will trigger that.

I just don't see this war last longer than the korean war. Even the Russians have much less appetite in paying hunan lives than they did last century.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Zelenskyy stalwartly refusing to believe NATO lies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zelensky is going to need to bomb Poland again

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Canada is just a giant human centipede with mining/oil execs in the front, catholic priests in the back, and ukrainian nazis in the middle.

you forgot to post it in french too

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol yesterday the Italian police busted a bunch of Azov-linked Nazis who were planning to use weapons they somehow mysteriously got a hold of to commit terror attacks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sooner or later the war is going to end, and Ukraine isn't exactly run by the kind of people you want to give access to a ton of weapons (and those weapons won't even stay within Ukraine)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Oops yeah I got things mixed up and mistook the number of deaths BBC and Mediazone were able to confirm killed by name (8,712) with the official count. And yeah, any estimate is going to have some level of arbitrariness to it, so maybe they're using the wrong multiplier there idk. Russia's definitely covering up the real number though, and the estimate they gave is much, much lower than the propaganda number given by Ukraine and Western intelligence, so I assume they were at least aiming for something plausible.

IDK if they are covering it up, Shoigu's September 21 claim for 5,937 compares to Mediazone's confirmed 7,107 for the same time period and I imagine there's a lot of doubt over who exactly is an official Russian service member, about 1/4 of their reported deaths have no service branch attached so it's possible they're PMCs or Russian citizens serving in the military's of the Donbass republics.
But if we take that 8,712 and the DPR's self reported 3,733, plus LPR and Wagner etc, IDK maybe 15k+? Which could align with Ukrainian and USA estimates of 80k / 100k casualties total.

Does anybody have any idea of Russia's casualty metric? What count's as a casualty?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
The Ukrainian OSINT guys just found this picture posted on telegram by a Russian missile unit geolocated in Belarus shortly before the impact, and combined with the amount of Green Stuff found at the impact site I’d say the tankie narrative of blaming Ukraine is collapsing:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

The US in theory can print money endlessly but they eventually stopped in Afghanistan. Didn't even print that extra plane load of cash to Taliban so they could leave Kabul with the slightest bit of diginty.

In the end it comes down to production capacity, how fast can the west, particularly the US MIC make half way decent weapons versus how fast the Russia/Iran/China camp can put together kamikaze 136s. If China take the gloves off, they will have much better drones to sell to Russia, but Xi and Biden are not likely to flip the poker table in the next two years. Not even Kevin McCarhy visiting Taiwan will trigger that.

I just don't see this war last longer than the korean war. Even the Russians have much less appetite in paying hunan lives than they did last century.
Yeah, I'm struggling to see how it benefits China to do that. Like, they're already coming out of this pretty good, what with Russia getting knocked down a peg, it's not like they actually want Russia to be a world power competitor to them. Having them as a friendly, but junior, partner is far more preferable and if this war has "accomplished" anything, it is definitely that.

Besides, the problem that Russia has is not, at its core, equipment related. They aren't willing or able to endure the kind of casualties to force Ukraine to negotiate from a position of weakness, and on the other side, Ukraine has shown an ability and a willingness to endure outsized casualty numbers to hold off Russia. Better equipment would obviously help Russia both reduce casualties themselves and exacerbate Ukrainian casualties, but only incrementally. All the mobilization in the world isn't going to help them if they fear the political fallout from dead conscripts, which they clearly do.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, if Iran is supplying the Russians with already at least partially Chinese derived IP, then there really isn’t a serious reason for the Chinese to get involved.

In all honesty, the Russians probably could have disabled the Ukrainian grid entirely with the weapons they have already used if they made a purposeful strategy of it. They have been instead been using them for a relatively softer strategy of putting Ukraine on a “diet” for them to come to terms.

They really don’t need Chinese weapons for such a strategy (and in all honesty the Chinese probably wouldn’t supply them unless the Russian actually needed them rather than the current nonsense.)

The Russians never lost the fight to fight a real war, but it would have to get “dirty” and they don’t want that. They want a clean political war and this is going to keep on going.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty, the Russians probably could have disabled the Ukrainian grid entirely with the weapons they have already used if they made a purposeful strategy of it. They have been instead been using them for a relatively softer strategy of putting Ukraine on a “diet” for them to come to terms.

NUH UH!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Turtle Watch posted:

The Ukrainian OSINT guys just found this picture posted on telegram by a Russian missile unit geolocated in Belarus shortly before the impact, and combined with the amount of Green Stuff found at the impact site I’d say the tankie narrative of blaming Ukraine is collapsing:

Ork not sexy enough, 4/10.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
turn on your monitor

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

IDK if they are covering it up, Shoigu's September 21 claim for 5,937 compares to Mediazone's confirmed 7,107 for the same time period and I imagine there's a lot of doubt over who exactly is an official Russian service member, about 1/4 of their reported deaths have no service branch attached so it's possible they're PMCs or Russian citizens serving in the military's of the Donbass republics.
But if we take that 8,712 and the DPR's self reported 3,733, plus LPR and Wagner etc, IDK maybe 15k+? Which could align with Ukrainian and USA estimates of 80k / 100k casualties total.

Does anybody have any idea of Russia's casualty metric? What count's as a casualty?

I'm sure they're not going to great pains to rigorously track every merc or militia member who dies, but I'm also not sure why they would bother to build up some Great Lie. You kinda notice if your kid doesn't come back from the front even if the TV tells you it's statistically unlikely to have happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

that they haven't done that is also pretty much a confirmation that what they want from this, and have wanted from the start, is an economically friendly Ukraine. it doesn't do Russia any good to wantonly destroy Ukrainian infrastructure because all that does is drive them further towards NATO when the war is over, so they're trying to do just enough damage to make it hurt but not enough that when the dust settles they can't pull them away from NATO and get favorable economic concessions in peace negotiations. all that fully destroying Ukraine's infrastructure would do is ensure that when the war does end that NATO has a permanent and indefinite military presence in whatever territory Kyiv still controls, which would be far worse for Russia than whatever resources remain in the captured territories or whatever economic concessions they can extract.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russia’s overall strategy being a series of One Weird Tricks was dead on, whoever coined that itt

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is interesting that zelensky's insisting on this not being an air defense malfunction even as everyone else seems to be accepting that it's not. i do wonder what's going on with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think it's just that zelensky & co have had western media cover for them to such a degree that they think they can get away with any crock of bullshit, and to be fair so far they've been right