Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mods change my name to Amish Malcolm Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

This was at least known for several years because I found someone quoting me and talking about this in this very thread from 2018.

I somehow missed this, despite listening to him for a decade plus now. Maybe it's just my lovely memory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nea posted:

San Jose is a hugely Hispanic city, and while I can't speak for the scene decades ago, at the moment there's a massive crossover with Mexican lucha libre here. I see more posters for lucha shows with wrestlers that I'd mostly never heard of before who do mostly work in Mexico than there are with more typical American indie names. Mind, I also live in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood, so that's a large part of that. The point is, there's a lot of crossover and I bet that's been the case for decades. (haven't gotten to go yet because I was horrible at meeting people, got better, and immediately covid happened)

Dave's basically credited this for why he's more open to newer styles of wrestling than a lot of the older generation, talking about how his friends would make fun of the lucha shows for being 'fake' and then meeting the Hispanic kids who'd make fun of the American wrestling shows for being fake, and realising that it wasn't that one was more fake than the other, but it was whichever one you grew up watching was 'real'.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Dave's basically credited this for why he's more open to newer styles of wrestling than a lot of the older generation, talking about how his friends would make fun of the lucha shows for being 'fake' and then meeting the Hispanic kids who'd make fun of the American wrestling shows for being fake, and realising that it wasn't that one was more fake than the other, but it was whichever one you grew up watching was 'real'.

Now I want the "Young Rock" spinoff "Young Dave" and they all meet "Young Sheldon"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shouts out Amish Shanky real quick

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
these wives amirite fellas

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

these wives amirite fellas

burning my mashed potatoes. Tonys deck being unstained or whatever the whole drat winter rules. What a dad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

Tonys deck being unstained or whatever the whole drat winter rules. What a dad

The stained deck storyline is one of my favourites in wrestling right now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

90s too. I don't know about WWF & WCW but I have heard some rumours about ECW & lets just say about wrestlers not being overly concerned with the age of consent in PA. I won't say names because it's both only rumours & my memory is pretty shoddy on the details anyway but yeah, watching shoot videos from wrestlers around in the '80s & '90s far too often involves things that make you appalled.

Raven has talked about Joel Gertner's wife introducing an underage Becky Bayless to the ECW locker room, so that's not a surprise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Suplex Liberace posted:

Tonys deck being unstained or whatever the whole drat winter rules. What a dad

"It's too cold to stain the deck."
"It was 80 degrees last weekend!"
"Look, it's over for the year, okay?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tony’s gonna have to sand the hell out of the deck come spring since he didn’t seal it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tony doesn't even have a deck. You guys are getting worked long deck style

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Walter Cronkite posted

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1592721545239048192

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
"Do Right By The Business" - guy who just listens to wrestling podcasts

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 16, 2022

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

swampman comes out... part swamp.... part mummy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bruth-byer Ray NOT Dudley

Edit

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 16, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Love how excited Vinny got at that concept :allears:

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The pause inbetween where someone comedicly asks "part man?" made it even better

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Lmao that Bryan’s uncle made a jobber 500 back in the day and Vinny was on there 4 different times on the same list

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Is that WWE joke book that Granny was reading from on the latest Bryan & Vinny show the same joke book that Jawnny read from on deadlock? I only caught like an episode or two of the podcast before the DPW boys retired that segment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nat-al-ya are gonna go to summerslam this year

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bryan yelling about clocks made me laugh so hard this morning.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

explosivo posted:

Bruth-byer Ray NOT Dudley

Edit

Also I love when they use observer or figure 4s to talk about what was going on about wrestling, particularly laughing at the grossly biased but to the point coverage by Alvarez. Man didn't like TNA and didn't give a gently caress about balanced or accurate coverage of them.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
lol at Brian being confused, surprised, and somewhat pissy that he has to do a show with Dave on Saturday because of the ppv.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pls do not account share with Mel mudkiper

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

blast0rama posted:

Bryan yelling about clocks made me laugh so hard this morning.

"8 clocks?!"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The POST Wrestling 5 year voicemail podcast is awesome. So happy for those guys.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

lance "you gotta watch this episode of impact btw i turned off bryan danielson/sammy guevara mid-match" storm

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

lance "you gotta watch this episode of impact btw i turned off bryan danielson/sammy guevara mid-match" storm

he's cracked

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fully impactilized and loving it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lance TNA Storm

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Later on he said he was nearly brought to tears by a match on Impact and I was just waiting for Bryan to bring up that maybe his close personal involvement in the promotion is causing him to inherently have a deeper emotional connection and so it's not really fair for him personally to compare it to other shows.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

History Comes Inside! posted:

fully impactilized and loving it

Impilled

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I don't know, maybe we should give Impact one more chan-

Jim Valley on WOL today: So it looks like the next challenger for the Impact World Title is Bully Ray.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jerusalem posted:

Jim Valley on WOL today: So it looks like the next challenger for the Impact World Title is Bully Ray.

The year is 2050. America has collapsed into a series of warring city-states. The Earth is dying. The Sun is collapsing into a black hole. Bully Ray is the Impact champion.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't really paid much attention to Impact's stories this year, but I've liked a lot of their matches.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For the record, Bully Ray's match yesterday was not, repeat, NOT the drizzling shits.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

For the record, Bully Ray's match yesterday was not, repeat, NOT the drizzling shits.

so maybe more of a 6 or a 5 on the Bristol scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Would he be a worse champion than Tyrus?

I can't see Dave burying Bully Ray worse than he's buried Tyrus in recent weeks.