Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ImpAtom posted:

GB2 has the Louis as a lawyer scene which is one of the best scenes in the franchise

:hmmyes: <points at the thread title>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched GB the other night and tried to imagine John Candy as Louis... what an odd experience that would be, I think it would completely change a lot of the movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan_Shore posted:

I watched GB the other night and tried to imagine John Candy as Louis... what an odd experience that would be, I think it would completely change a lot of the movie.

He wanted to do a German accent as well. It would have been truly bizarre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The lesson from Ghostbusters 2 is "Be Nice, until it's time not to Be Nice"

Or am I thinking of a different movie?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

He wanted to do a German accent as well. It would have been truly bizarre.

And like always wear lederhosen and be followed around by Doberman pinschers or something? That's really more of an SNL character than anything else.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I like to imagine it's the same cop Al from Die Hard in this scene, making it a shared continuity

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dawgstar posted:

And like always wear lederhosen and be followed around by Doberman pinschers or something? That's really more of an SNL character than anything else.

SCTV, but close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPcdn-e9uIY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I do actually wonder if it was a convoluted way of saying no to the role.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karloff posted:

I'd argue Ghostbusters does have many themes. There's a lot going on under the hood. I don't agree with that one video which states it's about nothing which sometimes makes the rounds. What it doesn't have though is a clear controlling idea which all the strands pull toward, but that's not a necessity. It's like Die Hard in that way.

Yeah that video points out that the main characters don't have character arcs (Venkman & crew are exactly the same people as they were at the start, it's just that everyone else in the city gets on board with the stuff that they'd been saying right from the start) as if that's some kind of flaw in the film but that happens all the time in movies like Die Hard etc., the difference being that action heroes shoot good and Ghostbusters think good. It's a power fantasy but for nerds.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alan_Shore posted:

I like to imagine it's the same cop Al from Die Hard in this scene, making it a shared continuity

He changed his name to Carl Winslow, moved to Chicago to escape all the weird poo poo in New York, only to get Steve Urkel as a neighbor.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that video points out that the main characters don't have character arcs (Venkman & crew are exactly the same people as they were at the start, it's just that everyone else in the city gets on board with the stuff that they'd been saying right from the start) as if that's some kind of flaw in the film but that happens all the time in movies like Die Hard etc., the difference being that action heroes shoot good and Ghostbusters think good. It's a power fantasy but for nerds.

There's a bit of a character arc in Die Hard with John McClane's bathroom revelation and reconciliation with Holly but yeah, it doesn't coalesce into a central thesis and sits neatly atop the action stuff. As you say the arc of the story in Ghostbusters isn't centralised onto one character but as the group as a whole and their relationship with the city, it doesn't require the characters to change because it's the city that needs to change. After all, the Ghostbusters were right all along. That could be a problem in some films, but Ghostbusters isn't one of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karloff posted:

There's a bit of a character arc in Die Hard with John McClane's bathroom revelation and reconciliation with Holly

I'd argue that Holly's reconciliation with John worked along similar lines as Dana falling for Venkman: they realised in the end that the wise-rear end 'hero' was okay exactly as they were. Not so much a character arc as the character standing firm and forcing everything else to arc in and meet them where they were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The lesson of Die Hard is that it is okay for police to murder children and keep their job because they might shoot a terrorist some day.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I’d argue that Venkman at least starts taking poo poo more seriously as he starts falling for Dana and working with the guys. It’s hard to imagine the Venkman at the beginning of the movie (who is conning those college students) selflessly sacrificing himself to destroy Gozer. It’s definitely not as spelled out with a breakthrough scene like you’d get in a modern movie tho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd argue that Holly's reconciliation with John worked along similar lines as Dana falling for Venkman: they realised in the end that the wise-rear end 'hero' was okay exactly as they were. Not so much a character arc as the character standing firm and forcing everything else to arc in and meet them where they were.

Well also John realizes that there's a difference between being a wise-rear end and being a genuine dick. He realizes that he should've supported Holly when she moved to L.A. and that their relationship problems weren't just about her moving to L.A. it was because he'd been a dick about it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

Well also John realizes that there's a difference between being a wise-rear end and being a genuine dick. He realizes that he should've supported Holly when she moved to L.A. and that their relationship problems weren't just about her moving to L.A. it was because he'd been a dick about it.
Which is all undone in With A Vengeance because he goes back to being a dick again and this time destroying their marriage for good. :sigh:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

roffels posted:

He changed his name to Carl Winslow, moved to Chicago to escape all the weird poo poo in New York, only to get Steve Urkel as a neighbor.

Urkel’s the kid’s ghost

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ruddiger posted:

Urkel’s the kid’s ghost

my god, it's all coming together

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kymberly Herrin, the Fort Detmerring/dream ghost, dies at 65.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Somewhere, Dan Akroyd's fly unaccountably unzips.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that I am not sure I would to be eulogized as "the blowjob ghost"

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I only just found out she was a playmate, I feel like teenage me could have used this information.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:stare:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alan_Shore posted:

In the Chuck Season Two episode "Chuck vs. Santa Claus" they actually have Reginald VelJohnson guest star as Sgt. Al Powell.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Stumbled upon this Ghostbuster parody song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWswGv-ZaPE
It starts at 7:00

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

quote:

Aykroyd also talks about the scene, referring to Herrin’s character as the seduction ghost.

“I don’t miss anything that we didn’t use. The ghost in the fort — the seduction ghost — in paranormal research that’s a common thing, ghosts doing sexual things to people. I have a friend who had three women visit him in a haunted house in Louisiana, and it was one of the greatest nights of his life. But in under two hours, you obviously can’t have everything.

Dan Ackroyd is a treasure.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Supposedly people are getting emails fron Haslab promising imminent shipping of the packs. This has awoken all the crazy people on the facebook groups.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I got an email saying make sure my address is ready by Jan 1st. What are they saying on the groups?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair it was only one guy writing an essay about how when your pack turns up damaged don't accept it send it back and demand a new one because he did it with his Haslab barge or something. Some massive assumptions there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Another Haslab project has just started recently showing up, Transformers’ Star Saber, and he’s had a ton of quality issues across the board. So it’s not unreasonable to suggest that there may be issues here too.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone getting a ALICE rig for their Haslab pack?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have one already waiting! I bought it years ago as the first part of intending to make a pack, and then life happened, and I never did.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Supposedly the european Zavvi pack orders have shipped.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So they’ll get to people about February, gotcha.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone getting a ALICE rig for their Haslab pack?

I've already got an ALICE frame for my modded Spirit pack. I'm just going to repurpose that one.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ghostbusters Dublin has posted an unboxing picture, not sure if they were Zavvi order or not.

Edit: they ordered from Zavvi. Good old Hasbro serving the third party first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite thing there was someone going OMG THOSE HACKS DIDNT GIVE THE PACK AN ION ARM?!, someone replying that it’s in the accessories box, and the first person being ‘oh yeah, fair shout’.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There is a healthy amount of middle aged men crying about not getting their packs yet balancing out the smug 'it looks like a toy' brigade.

You could make the raddest pack ever and smelt the metal yourself, it's still a toy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bacon Terrorist posted:

There is a healthy amount of middle aged men crying about not getting their packs yet balancing out the smug 'it looks like a toy' brigade.

You could make the raddest pack ever and smelt the metal yourself, it's still a toy.

Exactly. There is ONE person who could get away with building it and it not being a toy, and he already told Bobby Brown as much outside of Gracie Manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

my god, it's all coming together

"Did i do that?" is his catchphrase because its the last thing he heard Al say after putting 5 rounds into his chest.