Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Donkringel posted:

Out of curiosity why has Saitama been promoted to the A class anyway? We as the viewers are aware why, but I don't see how MHA's viewpoint would lead to that conclusion.

This is what I assume they see.

- B class accidentally wanders into operational restricted area.
- He does not die.
- He "assists" S class Flashy Flash in scouting the enemy headquarters.
- He brings back Intel of Blast and the cube.
- He is part of final Garou encounter and one of the few still standing.
- He is vouched for by Flashy Flash, King and Genos.

I can see him going up a few ranks but not an entirely new class (unless I misremember and he was like Class B Rank 3 or something). Unless there were a lot of class A deaths / retirements, I don't know how Saitama could have jumped so far ahead.

I know I'm overthinking this but still wanted to ask.

Silver Fang would also vouch for him,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Zombieman has probably heard enough about him from the house of evolution to know Saitama’s the real deal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saitama isn't S Class because no one would never accept a hero named "Caped Baldy"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Saitama has been A Class for 3 days at minimum since he moved into the condo three days ago. In chapter 172 he is introduced as Class A Rank 39. In chapter 173 is where they're discussing what occurred, Genos gives his 4 hour lecture and Dr. Bofoi looks at the security footage where Saitama jobs the robots, so all this conversation is occurring after the promotion.

At best it looks like Saitama got a field promotion which only King and Flashy Flash (maybe Silver Fang) can vouch for Saitama, plus the other elements I listed in his favor.

All that being said I went to the One Punch Man wiki to see if I could find an easy timeline to see where his rankings are at; it's only been two months for this entire comic.

Approximate timeline of Saitama's promotions:
Week 1: C-Rank 388 (Saitama registers as a hero)
Week 2: C-Rank 342 (Post Sonic)
Week 2: C-Rank 5 (Post Giant meteor)
Week 3: C-Rank 2 (Pre-Seafolk invasion), then C-Class Rank 1 (After Deep Sea King incident)
Week 4: B-Rank 101 (Promotion)
Week 5: B-Rank 63 (At S-Class meeting)[1]
B-Rank 33 (After Dark Matter Thieves' invasion, between King Arc and Garou Intoduction)[2]
Week 6: B-Rank 7 (When Fubuki visited Saitama)[3]
Week 7-8: (Monster Arc)
Week 9: A-Rank 39

So that timeline answers my question, I was thinking Saitama was still ranked in the teens/twenties, but since he was ranked 7 that's totally believable that enough A-rankers died/retired that he got bumped up automatically, plus his efforts during the Monster Association arc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Out of curiosity why has Saitama been promoted to the A class anyway? We as the viewers are aware why, but I don't see how MHA's viewpoint would lead to that conclusion.

This is what I assume they see.

- B class accidentally wanders into operational restricted area.
- He does not die.
- He "assists" S class Flashy Flash in scouting the enemy headquarters.
- He brings back Intel of Blast and the cube.
- He is part of final Garou encounter and one of the few still standing.
- He is vouched for by Flashy Flash, King and Genos.

I can see him going up a few ranks but not an entirely new class (unless I misremember and he was like Class B Rank 3 or something). Unless there were a lot of class A deaths / retirements, I don't know how Saitama could have jumped so far ahead.

I know I'm overthinking this but still wanted to ask.

It makes more sense in the webcomic where Saitama actually fights Garou and everyone witnesses the end of it until they scream for Saitama to kill him.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

It makes more sense in the webcomic where Saitama actually fights Garou and everyone witnesses the end of it until they scream for Saitama to kill him.

Oh is that one of the webcomic vs manga changes that has been causing some friction lately?

Makes sense with that background. Small disconnect between original source and new story.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Saitama has been A Class for 3 days at minimum since he moved into the condo three days ago. In chapter 172 he is introduced as Class A Rank 39. In chapter 173 is where they're discussing what occurred, Genos gives his 4 hour lecture and Dr. Bofoi looks at the security footage where Saitama jobs the robots, so all this conversation is occurring after the promotion.

This is not quite accurate. Metal Knight reviewing the security footage is in the "present day" and states that Saitama was promoted to A class 2 days ago.

Right after the scene with Bofoi, we get the Sitch/S class meeting as a flashback that is specifically established as happening "2 days ago".

The fact that we get both notes about the promotion and meeting being 2 days ago, makes me believe that the promotion was decided explicitly because of what happened in the meeting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think these panels confirm that Saitama's rank was boosted two days before he broke those robots

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh, I was literally looking for letterboxes containing timeframes and I skipped right over the "Two Days Ago" one!

Thanks everyone for indulging my questions.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kild posted:

Wait, wouldn't witnessing that event make them want to promote him to S-Rank?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Ugh, I was literally looking for letterboxes containing timeframes and I skipped right over the "Two Days Ago" one!

Thanks everyone for indulging my questions.

This made me remember that in Chapter 171, Genos is helping Saitama dig through the rubble of his apartment, and he gets called away to HQ, so it must have been for that Sitch meeting.

Also, I just remembered that Saitama should have gotten credit for capturing Gale Wind and Hellfire Flame, who both had S class bounties. But Maybe Child Emperor decided it wasn't worth reporting, since he took them both down with a single punch...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Donkringel posted:

Oh is that one of the webcomic vs manga changes that has been causing some friction lately?

Makes sense with that background. Small disconnect between original source and new story.

Yeah, the webcomic put all the stuff about the mysterious god on the back burner in favor of "the S class deals with their collective ego being bruised from the one-two punch of Garou and Saitama (and then some other stuff happens)."

There are enough small and not-so-small differences between the two that they're basically telling different stories at this point, even if parts of the plot overlap.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 11, 2022

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

blasts partner eh

edit- are we spoiler tagging or what

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Flair posted:

Wait, wouldn't witnessing that event make them want to promote him to S-Rank?

No, cus they think it's just because they weakened him enough for a B class to beat him up.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just wanna say I continue to love Bofois design.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws out: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/316190246967858110

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Best girl~

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know who you mean when you say this but I still want to believe you're talking about monaco

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Translation: https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/Bx4wJ63/1/1/

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Runa posted:

I know who you mean when you say this but I still want to believe you're talking about monaco

I was also disappointed not to see her

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Runa posted:

:iiam:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
becoming a fan of chain toad

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Kuvo posted:

becoming a fan of chain toad

My heart will always belong to Brick Frog from Venture Bros but Chain Toad is still pretty cool

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Major Talent Agency Handsome Castle

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thank you murata for the 3 fubukis today

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

it's important to keep a promise even if you take 3 years to do it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Caped Baldy fanclub is growing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, that Butterfly guy IS pretty hairy!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Runa posted:

Absolute waste of a chapter.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Is it me, or does Sweet Mask give off Patrick Bateman energy?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Supersonic Shine posted:

Is it me, or does Sweet Mask give off Patrick Bateman energy?

He's an image obsessed psychopath, yes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sweet Mask is asexual and would never gently caress, though if he did it would definitely be while staring at his own image

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Looks like Saitama is finally getting more recognition nonetheless

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

it's important to keep a promise even if you take 3 years to do it

:hai:

Bongo Cat ftw

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

He's an image obsessed psychopath, yes

It's beauty he's obsessed with clearly, and to him power is beautiful

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Terror Sweat posted:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Ah, a Baki fan. Respect.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I played Chrono Trigger a bunch in the 90s and never made the connection that Flea, Slash, and Ozzie were rock stars. It just flew over my head at the time.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think they were named after condiments in the Japanese version. Very Toriyama naming scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CannonFodder posted:

I played Chrono Trigger a bunch in the 90s and never made the connection that Flea, Slash, and Ozzie were rock stars. It just flew over my head at the time.

Only Flea flew over my head in my experience