Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

That skill points change is absolutely huge. It was one of my major gripes with the game and will make creating functional alts a lot less time consuming. Hopefully the sign of things to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Having done lots of work on fixing and maintaining some old rear end games, I couldn't help but notice this guy:

quote:

* Auto attacks can no longer advance skill deeds. This is part of a much broader optimization regarding how skills interact with the quest system.

I have some sneaking suspicion that was causing some significant impact on their backend and I'm really curious to the particulars of it. Like, what deed even tracked auto attacks? Was this just an error to begin with and every auto attack was registered as a skill use and was then checked against the literal hundreds of deeds each player has? :aaa:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kaysette posted:

They should make you still do the session play where you see the fellowship through Boromir’s eyes. One of the more memorable laughs I’ve had in an mmo.

I got to see this a few days ago and had a good, hearty lol at it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finally finished all the books of Volume I and was very happy to see in Book 15 they just teleport you around instead having to travel across two zones to talk to one NPC and then all the way back to the one who sent you there.

I've finished the Prologue and Book 1 of Volume II too, so I've unlocked legendary weapons and the Reward Track. Hunter's teleporting skills has been very nice, but I haven't really enjoyed playing it.

I'm thinking of rolling a melee character. I've always enjoyed melee more than ranged classes. Since I stuck to the base game's leveling path the first time. I plan to wait for the new starting zones in the upcoming expansion and go through the alternative leveling zones that have been added to see what I've missed.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

OhFunny posted:

I'm thinking of rolling a melee character. I've always enjoyed melee more than ranged classes. Since I stuck to the base game's leveling path the first time. I plan to wait for the new starting zones in the upcoming expansion and go through the alternative leveling zones that have been added to see what I've missed.

I can recommend yellow-line Champion a lot. I've been levelling one purely through missions and it's been bonkers fun - just a whirlwind of mob destruction. Unfortunately you'll miss out on the Hunter travel skills though!

Some people rate Warden (which has similar travel skills) but I can't imagine playing with the lag issues currently. Sucks cos I love the aesthetic!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamit Bingo I am going to drown you the next time you send me back to Michel Delving.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Bingo is my new favorite hobbit (Samwise close 2nd ofc) and he's the best part of LotRO

but also, yeah

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

WarpDogs posted:

Bingo is my new favorite hobbit (Samwise close 2nd ofc) and he's the best part of LotRO

but also, yeah

I love my hat rack. My favorite housing item by far.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Played yondershire this weekend. It was an excellent hobbit zone. I enjoyed that a lot of it was typical Hobbit shenanigans (the presents quest line being a highlight to me,). Felt only a small amount of quests really involved combat, which works well for hobbits.

Negatives would be a little too much traveling back and forth and back and forth. The quests could have been grouped up or something a little better for that. And a throwback mail quest would be good, but didn't need as many as they added.

But yeah, overall really cute. Next up, angle of whatever. I'm hoping Gundabad goes on sale for black Friday. For some reason I'm being stubborn and waiting for a price drop.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Played yondershire this weekend. It was an excellent hobbit zone. I enjoyed that a lot of it was typical Hobbit shenanigans (the presents quest line being a highlight to me,). Felt only a small amount of quests really involved combat, which works well for hobbits.

Negatives would be a little too much traveling back and forth and back and forth. The quests could have been grouped up or something a little better for that. And a throwback mail quest would be good, but didn't need as many as they added.

But yeah, overall really cute. Next up, angle of whatever. I'm hoping Gundabad goes on sale for black Friday. For some reason I'm being stubborn and waiting for a price drop.

Yondershire really is just a continuation of the Shire. Also, those hobbit taverns are, and there's no other way to put this, swarms of hobbitses. The devs learned they can put in huge numbers of NPCs so long as they can't be interacted with, and they went all in on it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Expansion tomorrow. New 1-30 zones, Delvings, changes to Trait points, and a billion QoL improvements

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-34-release-notes-en

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

* The quest tracker and quest guide now accommodate up to 10 quests (increased from 5).

FINALLY

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holy poo poo god yes.

Also:

quote:

<plot poo poo>
This scaling instance is available to players level 20-140, and can be played Solo, Duo, or in a Fellowship.

God I hope they somehow find a way to port this backwards. Such a promising development for people like me who are anti-social weirdos who play MMOs solo.

Other really cool things:

1) dial-able difficulty in instances (?delvings? looks like a new thing) that increases the rewards you get.
2) massive loving reworkings and buffs of the classes that were weak without any nerfs of the strong classes. Hunter and Champion virtually untouched, an entire page of patch notes on burgler.
3) session play quests made optional. Thank gently caress. I'll still do them once but goddamn, not doing that crap on repeat.
4) the quest for the basic mount skill no longer locked behind the sub

quote:

Changed Falling Injury effects to be less punishing. Changed Run Speed Debuff from 40% to 30%. Changed duration of effect from range of 6-60 seconds to 5-15 seconds.
THANK YOU

legit excited about this patch

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Started a new runekeeper named Shrinkage on Landroval trying out the new expansion if anyone wants to hang and kill some boars

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
There are a few kind of funny bugs in this release. Most notably, they gave someone the rock landscaping tool and told them to just go nuts, it seems. There's now a dang mountain on (as in literally on top of) the road from Bree to Trestlebridge. Like, a really, really big boulder, that is now blocking the road and stable mounts can no longer follow that path through.

And now at least on Landroval, people are throwing parties on top of it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Yeah, it's really goofy. There's a quest giver nearby (the farmer that's captured by orcs) that's similarly encased in stone

They're actually pretty impressive as far as bugs go, because while it's obviously out of place it's also like... feels like they put it there intentionally? It reminds me of the best bugs in Minecraft's world gen back in the day. I hope they find a way to keep it or commemorate it somehow

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I need to go check out this party rock

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

pretty cool LotRO has accidentally created The Strength and Patience of the Hill and I'll be devastated if he's removed

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Reminds me of the floating shrub from the beta of Star Wars Galaxies. People became obsessed with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HPanda posted:

There are a few kind of funny bugs in this release. Most notably, they gave someone the rock landscaping tool and told them to just go nuts, it seems. There's now a dang mountain on (as in literally on top of) the road from Bree to Trestlebridge. Like, a really, really big boulder, that is now blocking the road and stable mounts can no longer follow that path through.

And now at least on Landroval, people are throwing parties on top of it.

Would you say it's a small boulder the size of a large boulder?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Would you say it's a small boulder the size of a large boulder?

Nah, more large mountain the size of a small mountain.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The boulder should stay.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hello I have a modern as poo poo computer and this game doesn't seem to like that, is there any guide for the best graphics/ performance specs available?

Should I bother with the 64 bit client?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 19, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yes, you have to use the 64 bit client.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

OhFunny posted:

The boulder should stay.

the devs say it will be moved but they have "plans for it"

I've also seen people start referring to it as the Standing Stone, which is just too perfect, and cements its place in canon

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Hello I have a modern as poo poo computer and this game doesn't seem to like that, is there any guide for the best graphics/ performance specs available?

Should I bother with the 64 bit client?

Definitely use the 64-bit client.

The 32-bit is gone in less than 60 days and some things don't work on it.

quote:

We will begin the process of ending support for the 32-bit versions of the game client for The Lord of the Rings Online on May 18th, 2022. The 32-bit clients will continue to be supported until January 1st, 2023. In the meantime, some features may not work fully on the 32-bit clients. We recommend all players change their settings in the game launch to switch to the 64-bit game client. This is done by pressing the down arrow button at the top of the launcher, then selecting Options.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thought of a dumb joke that I'm going to drop here because this is the only place where people will get it.

It's very dumb.

Where does Theoden King keep his fiber supplements?

Meta-Meduseld

:dadjoke:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

:ughh:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Black friday expansion sales are up.

Gundabad 25% off - $30 from $40
Three peaks 60% off - $8 from $20
Minas morgul 85% off - $6 from $40

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For the full thing:

LOTRO Bonus Days:
LOTRO Bonus Days bring you a VIP Event Boost! Available now through November 27th!

LOTRO Market:
Black Friday Deals on expansions in the LOTRO Market!

Now through November 28th:
Get 85% off Minas Morgul
Get 60% off War of Three Peaks
Get 25% off Fate of Gundabad

LOTRO Store:
Black Friday Sales Have Arrived!
Now through November 28th get:
75% off Gondorian Supplier Horns
50% off Housing Property Writs
35% off Stablemaster Stands

Double Bonus Points is back!
Get twice the Bonus Points in the LOTRO Store through November 28th!

Friends of Radagast! Get 20% off:
Select Pets and Kites
Select Housing Items
Select Mounts
Now through December 1st!

Weekly Coupon
Free Battle Potion of Restoration x5
Coupon Code: BATTLERESTORE5
Now through December 1st!

So the items here are pretty good. I should probably pick up Gundabad now. Surprised the Black Friday Sales aren’t wider, though. Thought they might do a more general discount on store items instead of it being more focused. Double bonus points is nice, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the way to check what you e already bought again? Acct wide poo poo like expacs. Trying to remember if I already own three peaks or not.

(Bought poo poo at last sale right before I drifted away, back in and up to 85 from 65 in the last couple weeks so I’ll be there before too long)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Log on, open the store, and there's a spot for account wide expacs and quest packs. If it doesn't show, your already own it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thought of a dumb joke that I'm going to drop here because this is the only place where people will get it.

It's very dumb.

Where does Theoden King keep his fiber supplements?

Meta-Meduseld

:dadjoke:

https://twitter.com/mellon_heads/status/1595407170811858945?s=46&t=EZ7MxnC99yg_OuHFMWEK3g

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I saw a sale on Premium House writs, but I'm not sure what they are compared to regular housing. I didn't like the idea of having to pay "rent" after buying a house but it would be nice to have extra storage. What does this writ buy? Is it accessible for all characters on the same server?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw a sale on Premium House writs, but I'm not sure what they are compared to regular housing. I didn't like the idea of having to pay "rent" after buying a house but it would be nice to have extra storage. What does this writ buy? Is it accessible for all characters on the same server?

You need to pay rent for regular houses as well.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Rent is fake money. The writs are one-time cost.

Accessible to all characters on that server.

Small bit of shared house storage.

Generally better furniture hooks, including a whole lot more of them.

A teleport ability for all of your characters on that server that returns you to your house. On a 1 minute cooldown. Get a house by the stables and you have effectively an unlimited use teleport to long range stables. This may be the best part of the deal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I see that it's not just one writ for a house, but multiples. I think I'll avoid any sort of housing for now.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 24, 2022

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I see that it's not just one writ for a house, but multiples. I think I'll avoid any sort of housing for now.

Six writs minimum for some of the houses in the Cape, yeah, and I believe that’s the lowest it goes (unless maybe a few are 5?). So right now, that would be 750 lotro points for a premium house minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I totally recommend buying a house in a normal neighborhood. The shared storage is nice, it's fun to hang your trophies, and the TP to the stables/deed turn ins/vip vendor is incredibly useful.

The gold cost is truly negligible. Big houses are like 7g.