Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I really don't understand what the gently caress do cops actually do?

Like if you call them and say someone is assaulting you or breaking into your home they just hang up on you. Let alone ever doing a single thing about property crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Like if you call them and say someone is assaulting you or breaking into your home they just hang up on you. Let alone ever doing a single thing about property crime.

It's not your property they're there to protect. Have you tried being extremely wealthy or a corporation?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

COPE 27 posted:

The Constable and the Crowd

Of all the things that have been identified as symptomatic of the modern city, the institutionalisation of public amenities and the increasing order and surveillance of public space are especially recurrent themes. I want to examine the city from the perspective of practices, and we have found that a good way of doing this is to look at behaviour in the street. What better figure to start such an investigation from than that symbol of modernity and urban order, the policeman? The establishment of modern police forces and the disciplining of policemen as well as the discipline he exercises are well-studied topics. But if we want to be where the action is, it is the lowly police constable and not the institution around him that should occupy our interest. Tracing the relationship between the police constable and the crowd around him puts us on the trail of urban public relations and stand- ards of behaviour.

The organisation of police forces, despite a distinctive hierarchy and stern control of the lower ranks, was such that a great deal of responsibility was laid on the shoulders of the individual police constable who patrolled the streets. He was at the centre of urban public relations. The limits of acceptable conduct were of course regulated by law, but the practical application of the law depended on the constable, and his subjective interpretation of an event constituted the actual establishing of the limits. A good way to observe and study public behaviour in an urban context is therefore to do it via the police constable and his watchful eye. The PC kept an eye on the conduct of human beings and it was his role to step in when he thought things had gone too far. When he consequently wrote down an account of the event in his report, he gave us a view of the limits of acceptable conduct as he saw them. At the same time, he was watched and judged by the people around him, to whom the addition of a policeman in public interaction was not always a welcome aid. As we will become mindful of, the constable could play a number of roles, each one depending on his relationship to the street and the people there. He is suitable also because he allows us to see the city at street level, and to meet the people he met. These people can be said to correspond in some ways to the group of people that I have implied earlier, those who did not write down their experiences and whose perspective is invisible in contemporaneous literary sources – the people in the street.

[The police constables] are strictly enjoined to be civil and attentive to persons of every rank and class; insolence or incivility will not be passed over.
While on duty, they are not to enter into conversation with any one, except on matters relating to duty.
They must be particularly cautious not to interfere idly or unnecessarily; but, when required to act, to do so with decision and boldness. On all occasions they may expect to receive the fullest support in the proper exercise of their authority.

They must remember that there is no qualification more indispensable to a police officer than a perfect command of temper, never suffering themselves to be moved in the slightest degree by any language or threats that may be used: if the duty is done in a quiet and determined manner, such conduct will probably induce well disposed bystanders to assist, should they require it.

The corresponding instructions to constables of the Metropolitan Police were somewhat less concrete, but similar in tone:

[A] Constable must ... be very civil and respectful in his demeanour and conduct to the Public, giving the best answers he can to the numerous questions which will be put to him, and showing at all times a readiness to do all in his power to oblige, consistently with the rules of the Service. ...

Perfect command of temper is indispensable. A man must not allow himself to be moved or excited by any language or threats, however violent; the cooler he keeps himself the more power he will have over his assailants. Idle or silly remarks are unworthy of notice, and if the persons making them see that they have no effect upon the Constable they will soon leave off. ...

[A] Constable must act with energy, promptness, and determination, for if he wavers, or doubts, the thief may escape, or the opportunity to render assistance may be lost.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
…so keep an eye out for a cop doing any of that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Puppy Burner posted:

It's not your property they're there to protect. Have you tried being extremely wealthy or a corporation?

This poster gets it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Police is the biggest gang there is

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was trying to find out if anything happened with the mystery of the guy in Calgary who was mowed down by an SUV while waiting for a bus and imagining a Murdoch Mystery Short where Yannick Bisson's dreamy eyelashes gaze at Crabtree and ask "but the deceased owned a personal automobile, so why would he have been waiting at the bus stop?" and the episode just ends.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

eXXon posted:

I was trying to find out if anything happened with the mystery of the guy in Calgary who was mowed down by an SUV while waiting for a bus and imagining a Murdoch Mystery Short where Yannick Bisson's dreamy eyelashes gaze at Crabtree and ask "but the deceased owned a personal automobile, so why would he have been waiting at the bus stop?" and the episode just ends.

Listen a car just killed him, these things happen.

The nature of things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look, people get killed by cars every day, lots of people.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

COPE 27 posted:

Keep the coloureds in line

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

justify their existence by ensuring a steady supply of broken windows

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

In other Ontario hellscape news, the committee reviewing Bill 23 (the Replace the Greenbelt with Mattamy Homes Act) is closing the submission for comments tomorrow evening. I know we're all irony poisoned here, and civic engagement in the face of an ideologically-evil majority gov hellbent on the immiseration of as many people as possible can be a drag, but hey you might find it cathartic to have your venomous disdain for these people entered in the public record - I certainly did!

https://www.ola.org/en/apply-committees

dieselfruit has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Nov 17, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Remember when the army found a bunch of dead seniors covered in their own poo poo?

Has anyone been held responsible for that? (lol)

Segue
May 23, 2007

In yet another astonishing Ontario omnishambles story, Ford's Strong Mayors Act got updated today and apparently includes the provision that mayors can pass laws with 1/3 + 1 council members if it aligns with provincial priorities. It codifies undemocratic minority rule even more

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1592945558913966080?t=LwxB3lCdIu31XVLhgem_Eg&s=19

And John Tory campaigned for this power behind closed doors during the election. Like I'm just baffled by the flouting of even the pretense of democracy.

Like can we just not be completely mask-off evil for a little bit? Jesus Christ I'm laughing at my political philosophy classes about democratic system strengths from only like a decade ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
democracy works just fine. The boomers are the biggest voting bloc, so they always get what they want. a perfect system

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

issue speeding tickets on a highway with one of the lowest speed limits in the industrialized world so they can buy more toys

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/StaySaif/status/1593311548629716992

Let's see how this goes for Alberta...

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The board will only be replaced once those minor issues are dealt with like surgical waitlists, etc...

So... they never intend to replace the board?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/alberta-premier-danielle-smith-says-she-has-cherokee-roots-but-the-records-dont-back-that-up/

hell yeah let's go

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

why is it always Cherokee that the pretendians claim?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

My son has been waiting 3 years for surgery to fix his urethra so urine only goes out his belly button cath and not his penis. We've had him schooling at home since covid and his barrier to getting back into a classroom is having the dignity of not having accidents in high school. These fuckers in charge need things to happen to them that I can't say without getting into trouble.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ARACHTION posted:

Specifically because Cherokee were from the American southeast (prior to the Trail of Tears) and it provided a mechanism for speaking around mixed African-American ancestry. The "part Cherokee" thing was a way for people to maintain their status as white despite the One Drop Rule. People in British Columbia claimed "part Hawaiian" ancestry to avoid addressing Indigenous relatives. In either case, there was an acceptable group to have parentage from that served as cover for descent from the unacceptable group.

I don't want to read too much into this, but with the Confederate flags and everything else it's possible Alberta took it wholesale from the American South without considering the context, as there's not too many people in Alberta descended from Canada's historical black population concentrated in Nova Scotia and Southern Ontario, and as black immigration to Canada really started in the 1960's that would be too recent to hide ancestry or for Danielle to be a white-passing Quadroon or Octaroon.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Nov 17, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Specifically because Cherokee were from the American southeast (prior to the Trail of Tears) and it provided a mechanism for speaking around mixed African-American ancestry. The "part Cherokee" thing was a way for people to maintain their status as white despite the One Drop Rule. People in British Columbia claimed "part Hawaiian" ancestry to avoid addressing Indigenous relatives. In either case, there was an acceptable group to have parentage from that served as cover for descent from the unacceptable group.

these days canada seems to have coalesced around saying you're part Metis, or that weirdass Ardoch Algonquin fake group

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ARACHTION posted:

Anishinaabeg is hard to say

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arivia posted:

these days canada seems to have coalesced around saying you're part Metis, or that weirdass Ardoch Algonquin fake group

It's led to huge fights between the Feds, the National Metis Council and the Provincial Metis Nations, as there are genuine benefits to being Metis and few(er) downsides, so people are coming out of the woodwork to hunt out of season.

The concern is that this will cause the Feds to cut benefits, they're already applying pressure to kick people off the rolls.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arivia posted:

weirdass Ardoch Algonquin fake group

What the gently caress? Thanks for tipping me off to this, what the hell is going on here?

http://www.aafna.ca/responding-to-the-attacks-against-aafn

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

a white-passing Quadroon or Octaroon.

okay, you are like 90 years old, right?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

okay, you are like 90 years old, right?

There's not really a more modern term to replace the old timey blood quantum ones. "Mixed" usually refers to first generation, but someone claiming to be "Part Cherokee" would be High Yellow or Creole.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

My son has been waiting 3 years for surgery to fix his urethra so urine only goes out his belly button cath and not his penis. We've had him schooling at home since covid and his barrier to getting back into a classroom is having the dignity of not having accidents in high school. These fuckers in charge need things to happen to them that I can't say without getting into trouble.

Ugh man my sympathies this really sucks

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Yeah I know like 4 acquaintances/family members having similar wait times.

Not as bad as your situation, and also sorry to hear it.

Frustrating all around.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

ARACHTION posted:

I assume it’s because that’s the only ones they know the name of because of the Jeep.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

There's not really a more modern term to replace the old timey blood quantum ones. "Mixed" usually refers to first generation, but someone claiming to be "Part Cherokee" would be High Yellow or Creole.

The British only really cared that you aren’t white. the French really wanted to know how not white you are.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ARACHTION posted:

I think plenty of the Canadians claim Métis or Ojibway ancestry. Boyden, for instance, claimed both those as well as Mi'kmaq and Nipmuc ancestry at different times. But when your frame of reference is primarily coming from American media, especially American pop culture and references, you're gonna get people way up north claiming they're Cherokee.

Anyway, here's Charlie Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMXzybmqgI

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Arivia posted:

How does one be part Metis?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

The British only really cared that you aren’t white. the French really wanted to know how not white you are.

racism is a spectrum

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
There's definitely some misunderstanding among people about what being Metis means exactly, that it just means mixed, so then you have tribes like the Mi'kmaq having to come out and say having Mi'kmaq ancestry doesn't equal being Metis

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The MNO set the standard at participating in Métis cultural life, and while a very low bar to clear, it pissed a lot of would-be offseason hunters and fishermen off.

They've done a good job reviving the sash, handicrafts, fiddle, spoken French and so on, and have community events monthly, but I think people would prefer it was as easy as proving distant ancestry and getting the perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

How does one be part Metis?

While "Métis" literally means mixed there are also definite distinctive ethno-cultural groups. I feel like Chelsea Vowel wrote about it a bunch however many years ago.