Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

Its from the first 5 minutes of a niche film nobody's ever heard of called Iron Man...

I for one appreciate the bolding, it really helped me focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Jack built this in a cave!

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

these forums rule lmao

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man that's such an aggressive look for Bridges hahaha

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ok let’s start from the top. Its 2008, Steve Jobs is rocking the web, Jeff bridges plays obediah stane, the bad guy in iron man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That DICK! posted:

Ok let’s start from the top. Its 2008, Steve Jobs is rocking the web, Jeff bridges plays obediah stane, the bad guy in iron man.

None of this makes any drat sense at all!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Dont worry, I have a 4 part set of 9 minute youtube videos explaining it

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

We've been over this. Who/whatever runs the simulation for our timeline got bored and basically just started doing like you did in Sim City where you select a disaster to see what happens before you switch games or just do a new game and start from scratch.

4.1 Air Crash.
4.2 Fire.
4.3 Riot.
4.4 Monster.
4.5 Floods.
4.6 Chemical cloud.
4.7 Nuclear meltdown.

We've tried everything for lols except "monster" so far, unless the real monster... IS MAN.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

alf_pogs posted:

man that's such an aggressive look for Bridges hahaha

You should see him in his other suit!

https://i.imgur.com/N4ChjrB.mp4

(unfortunately the guy who was in charge of making it shoot straight was fired)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dragonstoned posted:

You should see him in his other suit!

https://i.imgur.com/N4ChjrB.mp4

(unfortunately the guy who was in charge of making it shoot straight was fired)

Only 20% of the wiring was required for the suit to function

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is absolute loving lunacy.

I work at a large company that operates on microservices. We have always made code quality a priority, and even then 12 weeks wouldn't be enough time to even understand all the interdependencies and details of 100 microservices, let alone 1000. And "cleaning them up"... loving christ, dude. Just get Dunning-Kruger tattooed on your forehead and save us all the effort.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at a giga dollar haver and his stans thinking comic books and a cartoon are how real science works.

e: like lol at how slow movie / video game missiles are when there like fast as gently caress.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I work at a large company that operates on microservices. We have always made code quality a priority, and even then 12 weeks wouldn't be enough time to even understand all the interdependencies and details of 100 microservices, let alone 1000. And "cleaning them up"... loving christ, dude. Just get Dunning-Kruger tattooed on your forehead and save us all the effort.

there are companies where this would be super fun. when I was at Yelp, the reviews website, a decade ago, it was in this tier. It was a mess run by college dropouts & new grads calling themselves geniuses. It would have been a blast to walk in there, with the skills I have now, for a fixed engagement, with the power to rearchitect. I would literally do it for fun.

twitter is top 5 worst targets in the world for that kind of thing. Their top engineers are (were) titans in the field and the problems they face are miles beyond the kind of “babby’s first lucene” poo poo I saw at yelp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Especially something that's built on using microservices to satisfy GraphQL data structure requests like twitter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

If this is actually true it means their name change blocking is client side :negative:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Azhais posted:

If this is actually true it means their name change blocking is client side :negative:

Or that they have multiple machines that can serve name change requests, and some, but not all, have updated to the new behavior. So if you spam enough eventually your request will get randomly assigned to one with the old behavior.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Or that they have multiple machines that can serve name change requests, and some, but not all, have updated to the new behavior. So if you spam enough eventually your request will get randomly assigned to one with the old behavior.

This seems most likely given the issues that require a code freeze

I bet everyone is throwing out any backwards compat guidance between services. Then monoliths are "how you prevent backwards compatibility breaks" because it's a silver bullet and solves alllll the problems.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

lol at a giga dollar haver and his stans thinking comic books and a cartoon are how real science works.

e: like lol at how slow movie / video game missiles are when there like fast as gently caress.

I know I was surprised to find out that a real world RPG round travels at between 115 to 295 metres per second. That's 1062kph or about 85% the speed of sound.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1592971215466946561

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edwardly posted:

Then monoliths are "how you prevent backwards compatibility breaks" because it's a silver bullet and solves alllll the problems.

This triggered PTSD

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I'm finally getting bored of this idiot's lovely twitter antics but I'm worried that if I stop following these threads I'll miss something incredible like Musk accidentally posting his own weird dick or getting into a flame war with a cereal mascot.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Libra posted:

I'm finally getting bored of this idiot's lovely twitter antics but I'm worried that if I stop following these threads I'll miss something incredible like Musk accidentally posting his own weird dick or getting into a flame war with a cereal mascot.

same, it's getting a bit boring since the high of :eightbux: yet

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I had a dream last night that I was at a huge launch event for a very big budget game made by a Musk company.
I knew the game was 100% going to be a total flop, because it was fundamentally badly designed and had been rushed through development so much that it barely functioned. I swear I am not making this up, but there was even a side-line of collectables which were just little rubber animals that were for sale for $4 each - the exact kind of thing you can get 100 of from alibaba for about $5.
They had zero relevance to the theme of the game, just a blatant attempt to screw a little money out of morons.

Anyway, as is the logic of dreams, the big glitzy event turned into a massive knife fight - I had to kill at least 5 people to get to safety.
When things calmed down and the fighting stopped, I got into conversation with Musk himself, and tried to convince him that he was having a prolonged, severe manic episode, and trying to keep ahead of the flailing mess that this launch was, was only making things worse.
I eventually convinced him to just to to Hawai'i and just chill on the beach, which is when I woke up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SRQ posted:

Furries in tech is funny.

I met someone I already knew via vintage computer stuff at a furry con and he was like, yeah man, if you know people in tech flip a coin for each.
Related a story of the first time he was 'out' at a company and someone was like huh, that's neat. First one I've met. "Lol no you work in tech try again."

They are also some of the most pure hearted people I've known and I would rather work in an environment where a literal fursuit is mandatory than at one where furries aren't allowed at all.

Errrr. Is 'They' the correct word here for this hyper positive view of furries? :shobon:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Libra posted:

I think it's going to be less crazy now. He's gutted it so far and fast that it's no longer possible to even try and implement the instant policy changes. His big idea for revenue (:8bux:) has been pushed back and he doesn't seem to have any others. Now he's busy with his court case and so not got as much time to smoke and roll about in his own poo poo.

Weird and baffling decisions will be made, just less often. I expect more of a slow-burn, depressing, smug fash-support feel.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Pookah posted:

I had a dream last night that I was at a huge launch event for a very big budget game made by a Musk company.
I knew the game was 100% going to be a total flop, because it was fundamentally badly designed and had been rushed through development so much that it barely functioned. I swear I am not making this up, but there was even a side-line of collectables which were just little rubber animals that were for sale for $4 each - the exact kind of thing you can get 100 of from alibaba for about $5.
They had zero relevance to the theme of the game, just a blatant attempt to screw a little money out of morons.

Anyway, as is the logic of dreams, the big glitzy event turned into a massive knife fight - I had to kill at least 5 people to get to safety.
When things calmed down and the fighting stopped, I got into conversation with Musk himself, and tried to convince him that he was having a prolonged, severe manic episode, and trying to keep ahead of the flailing mess that this launch was, was only making things worse.
I eventually convinced him to just to to Hawai'i and just chill on the beach, which is when I woke up.

*Musk wakes up at the same time*

"What a weird dream...I dreamt one of the Poors had gotten past security and was squealing at me about Poor things"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Who would win in a knife fight, Elon Musk or Gabe Newell?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Croccers posted:

the knives

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is the knife long enough to flense Gabe?

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Croccers posted:

Ancient Roman gladiators cultivated a layer of fat to ensure wounds did not cut into muscle and disable them. Gabe is unbeatable in melee.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only time I’ve heard of Elon getting into a physical altercation is when he was a kid and got pushed down some stairs for making fun of someone’s dead father

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raifield posted:

Ancient Roman gladiators cultivated a layer of fat to ensure wounds did not cut into muscle and disable them. Gabe is unbeatable in melee.

Elon's pectoral implants would block or deflect blows equally well, though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tunicate posted:

I love this

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Click link for hardcore action

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

The only time I’ve heard of Elon getting into a physical altercation is when he was a kid and got pushed down some stairs for making fun of someone’s dead father

is that why hes building tesla's bot?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bobjr posted:

If only he broke his neck

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

good morning thursday morning

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
https://mobile.twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1593144267236835330

Everyone who dislikes my posting has now resigned from your jobs. Inform your respective HRs immediately.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
going forward please do not use the term "royal screw up" and absolutely don't say "screwing the pooch" -- no friends, henceforth a mistake of gargantuan proportions will be known as "Musking the Bird"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
He bought the bird and musked it mate