Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

or just as easily, if there was no invasion in february if we're throwing around alternate timelines

if the Minsk II accords had been observed...

if there wasn't a crackdown on separatists

if the LPR / DNR hadn't seceded...

if the Euromaidan coup hadn't been instigated...

if Napoleon had triumphed at Borodino...

if the Treaty of Westphalia hadn't been signed...

if that fish hadn't stepped out of the water...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Morbus posted:

I agree 100%. Even without the outright nazis, I think recent counteroffensives have created a feedback loop of enthusiasm that makes backing down politically untenable. I don't really know when poo poo will hit the fan but I think Russia's behavior will radically change when things shift from "Lost Cause SMO" to "Defending Crimea".

Yeah I still think Russia giving up Crimea is insane talk and Ukraine getting the idea that they have a real shot at it is dangerous as hell...which makes it particularly bad that Zelensky's in a position where he may not be able to give up on that goal without something catastrophic happening. Backing off the idea of reclaiming it militarily is something the West seems to recognize needs to happen (if nothing else to provide cover for Zelensky if it comes to a point where he might need it), but for every statement that inches toward that you get a few more saying it's up to the Ukrainians when and how they should negotiate, even though they obviously can't do anything without Western support.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1592895092791996416

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

worst case Russia mobilizing on a large scale in February might have gotten Minsk II signed.

Tbh I thought this was gonna be the plan, with the initial mobilization for "exercises" being a prelude. Then they just went leeroy jenkins with <200k people during mud season and welp.

Even then, I thought "well maybe they know something we don't". Turns out they did, it was just all bullshit.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah I still think Russia giving up Crimea is insane talk and Ukraine getting the idea that they have a real shot at it is dangerous as hell...which makes it particularly bad that Zelensky's in a position where he may not be able to give up on that goal without something catastrophic happening. Backing off the idea of reclaiming it militarily is something the West seems to recognize needs to happen (if nothing else to provide cover for Zelensky if it comes to a point where he might need it), but for every statement that inches toward that you get a few more saying it's up to the Ukrainians when and how they should negotiate, even though they obviously can't do anything without Western support.

Keep in mind Zelenskyy's stated negotiating position up until a few weeks ago, as repeatedly reported on, was he wouldn't even negotiate with Russia unless Putin was no longer in charge (subtext coup or assassination). Ukraine doesn't have a negotiating position, stuff like "we're taking back Crimea" is what they really want, and the level of western support they're getting just pushes them into it more.

This is their once in history chance to push for as much as they can get, they have nearly unlimited backing, and their population is fully committed. It's pretty much up to western backers to pull support or Russia to change its strategy because Ukraine's not bluffing and they're pushing for whatever they can get.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Orcish tactics are defeated by mud.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/mdfzeh/status/1592856835262144512

TIL the RPO Shmel thermobaric rocket launcher has a booster motor that just falls to the ground 15 feet in front of you in a rather unsettling way when launched.

too bad I wasn't present. I could have deflected that shmel rocket

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

or just as easily, if there was no invasion in february if we're throwing around alternate timelines

When would you prefer the invasion to happen then?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

When would you prefer the invasion to happen then?

preferably never if the desired outcome is minimizing people dying!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

preferably never if the preferred outcome is minimizing people dying!

But we're still fine with at least some people dying then?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

preferably never if the desired outcome is minimizing people dying!

As long as the only deaths are Jews, Roma, and people suspected or accused of being such i guess, since numbers are the only thing that matter

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Tankie eugenics

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Orcish tactics are defeated by mud.

arent uruk hai like born in vats of mud or something

if the orcs hd deployed their upgraded troops this would have been over

alas, the oligarchs stole all of the uruk hai birthing vats

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is the stupidest loving war

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Wheeee posted:

oh... when did you enter the fray?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

Look up the emu war.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

8. To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.

9. Neither is it the acme of excellence if you fight and conquer and the whole Empire says, "Well done!"

10. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of great strength; to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear.

11. What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

12. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom nor credit for courage.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DancingShade posted:

Look up the emu war.

emu war didn’t melt the brains of half the western world

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

8. To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.

9. Neither is it the acme of excellence if you fight and conquer and the whole Empire says, "Well done!"

10. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of great strength; to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear.

11. What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

12. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom nor credit for courage.

"Confront your soldiers with the deed itself; never let them know your design. When the outlook is bright, bring it before their eyes; but tell them nothing when the situation is gloomy."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

emu war didn’t melt the brains of half the western world

They were already in that state. "smart"phones give every clown a voice by design.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Look up the emu war.

yeah Nintendo just partnered with Denuvo to deploy DRM to its games to try and stop emulators but that's just going to piss everyone off

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah Nintendo just partnered with Denuvo to deploy DRM to its games to try and stop emulators but that's just going to piss everyone off

wtf really?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

if so stop the war until this is resolved, this is pretty important

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meow Tse-tung posted:

if so stop the war until this is resolved, this is pretty important

We need the 7th Doctor Who to walk into the middle of the battlefield shouting "stop I command it!" while waving his umbrella "there will be no battle here!". Then everyone stops.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

DancingShade posted:

We need the 7th Doctor Who to walk into the middle of the battlefield shouting "stop I command it!" while waving his umbrella "there will be no battle here!". Then everyone stops.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmfao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Russia not committing enough troops initially or at least earlier I think can probably be explained by a desire not to escalate too quickly. Their path to victory is not tank columns driving on Kiev, it's the west withdrawing support or the Ukrainian government collapsing financially despite that support. This constant missile and drone barrage is encouraging the west to send SAMs, which are pretty expensive generally. Now NASAMs can fire old air to air missiles, which keeps costs down but eventually those supplies will run out and if the supply of Shahed 136s stays steady then eventually the west will either be unable either physically to produce or financially pay for enough munitions to supply Ukraine. That's the nub as I see it, can Russia outproduce (and purchase) what the west is willing and able to put into this conflict?
I don't think we will see further significant withdrawals like we have twice recently, they've stretched holding those positions out as long as possible or necessary and now look like they're settling in to prepared positions.

DancingShade posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure all of recorded history only goes back 20 years or so.

History 2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah yes, DRM on the Switch, a platform famous for having system resources to spare.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

Russia not committing enough troops initially or at least earlier I think can probably be explained by a desire not to escalate too quickly. Their path to victory is not tank columns driving on Kiev, it's the west withdrawing support or the Ukrainian government collapsing financially despite that support. This constant missile and drone barrage is encouraging the west to send SAMs, which are pretty expensive generally. Now NASAMs can fire old air to air missiles, which keeps costs down but eventually those supplies will run out and if the supply of Shahed 136s stays steady then eventually the west will either be unable either physically to produce or financially pay for enough munitions to supply Ukraine. That's the nub as I see it, can Russia outproduce (and purchase) what the west is willing and able to put into this conflict?
I don't think we will see further significant withdrawals like we have twice recently, they've stretched holding those positions out as long as possible or necessary and now look like they're settling in to prepared positions.

yeah, I think this is about right. iirc, there was also peace talks preceding the withdrawal from Kiev (that BoJo tanked) so it would have worked if Ukraine were actually the ones on the other side of the negotiating table rather than being a pawn that the US is perfectly happy to let suffer if it lets them bleed Russia.

there's also the appearance to their partners/allies China, India, Turkey (?!?!) and unaligned countries of restraint

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

With the amount of weapons NATO gave out and to whom, they should be thanking their lucky stars the war spilled outside Ukraine’s border with this and not a downed airliner outside Hamburg or a TOW fired at a Synagogue in Brussels.

Give it time.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

History 2.

Does this matter? Modern SAMs aren't really going to stop the drones. Honestly, that seems to be a large part of the missile drama. Zelensky was claiming 100% hit rates, so if they just had those NATO SAMs the attacks would stop. If your missiles land in random villages in Poland your air defense is probably not hitting 10/10 shots and even more SAMs won't change that. Which I guess would be pretty demotivating.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The SAMs are for defending against cruise missiles. The little drones probably can't even be targeted with them. Russia is using both, though I think they alternate with missiles in daytime and the drones at night.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

speng31b posted:

Keep in mind Zelenskyy's stated negotiating position up until a few weeks ago, as repeatedly reported on, was he wouldn't even negotiate with Russia unless Putin was no longer in charge (subtext coup or assassination). Ukraine doesn't have a negotiating position, stuff like "we're taking back Crimea" is what they really want, and the level of western support they're getting just pushes them into it more.

This is their once in history chance to push for as much as they can get, they have nearly unlimited backing, and their population is fully committed. It's pretty much up to western backers to pull support or Russia to change its strategy because Ukraine's not bluffing and they're pushing for whatever they can get.

I think this analysis is correct, and furthermore see no signs that western backers will pull support. So it's going to be up to Russia to either give up everything, unlikely, or change strategy to force Ukraine to change their aims. This is likely to bear a disastrous cost in lives, both Russian and Ukrainian, Ukrainian infrastructure, and could well destabilize Russian civil society. Difficult to predict what the effects on Russian civil society and politics would be. Also difficult to predict what the western backers' response to the fates of war changing would be.

Early in the war, in the interest of preserving lives and preventing misery, I thought (and still stand by) that the best course of action was for the Ukrainian government to pursue a negotiated surrender getting something as close to a ratified Minsk II as they could. I think we have now reached the point where, by the same motivations and logic, the best course of action is for the Russian government to take the loss, end the SMO and retreat. The one difference I will note is that Ukraine's stated aims seem more maximalist and therefore less acceptable to the Russian government than even Putin's initial stated aims.

Long story short, by far the most likely future involves more death, destruction and misery, with a number of chances of things spinning horrendously out of control.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it looks like Russia is going to hunker down for the winter and see how things have developed by next year. I guess whether that's good sense comes down to whether you think Russia or Ukraine will be under the greater pressure come the spring.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
russia retreated from a few regions, it's hardly an insurmountable setback while western economies and Ukraine's power infrastructure are collapsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

which lotr film are we up to? because that's what will happen next