Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everyone understands the appeal of mascots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

No one questions Oz, Paimon is only slightly less strange.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eimi posted:

No one questions Oz, Paimon is only slightly less strange.

Talking raven that shoots lightning or a screechy gremlin we're using as an emergency food cache?

I think Amy got the better deal.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oz is weird but i think he's probably not even "real" as it were

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oz is made of electricity. Paimon is made of meat. This is very different!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess Itto summons, like, a cow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Oz is made of electricity. Paimon is made of meat. This is very different!

Is she? Does she even bleed?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Paimon will save us all one day (after potentially dooming us all first) and we will regret our words and deeds.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Paimon will save us all one day (after potentially dooming us all first) and we will regret our words and deeds.

I will not because Paimon is strong and real and my good friend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone else's mascot that they summon can actually do something. Guoba, Oz Kokomi's jellyfish, Ushi, Barron Bunny, Cullein-Ambar, Razor's wolf, Shenhe's ice ghosts, Dori's slime, the treasure seelie, shiki taishou, etc. Paimon's just not that interesting.

Anyway, if you're addicted like me, here's a video of the Sumeru cast just chilling and struggling with wishes and talking about who they expected to get cast as and didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bi6uoDHuB4

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Paimon does something and that something is get dunked upon, a service for which she can never be paid enough.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Paimon did try to take the metaphorical bullet for us at least once

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nyaawn posted:

I'm surprised more people don't question the existence and purpose of paimon

I mean I do and it would be hilarious if she's like an eroded sustainer of heavenly principles after the combination of Khaenria and traveler attack. Oh she's been quiet since the fall? She's probably holed up in celestia, then you get there and its empty.

I still cant fit in exactly what happened at the start of the game because the protagonist seems pretty sure of what happened but there are potential massive gaps in their memory. The protagonist doesn't remember anything of their actions in Teyvat prior to the confrontation with Sustainer but seems to remember their sibling and their travels before teyvat just fine. Theres a very good chance the traveler went through Teyvat already once with their sibling, Venti alludes to traveling with you before the start of the game and you forgetting. It sounds like the traveler went through some erosion too, but at the start they say and you just see them getting cubed and their powers "sealed". Did they break free and started burning memories/power to fend off Sustainer causing her to start burning heself too in response?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am not a huge Genshin lore nerd, but I got the impression that the Traveler and their sibling were attacked as soon as they entered Teyvat, and had never explored it at all beforehand.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone else's mascot that they summon can actually do something. Guoba, Oz Kokomi's jellyfish, Ushi, Barron Bunny, Cullein-Ambar, Razor's wolf, Shenhe's ice ghosts, Dori's slime, the treasure seelie, shiki taishou, etc. Paimon's just not that interesting.
Maybe that's how the Traveller's story-related powerup will work. It'll turn all their abilities into combination attacks with Paimon.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The flavour text already describes them as moves they came up with together! It's an open goal, Hoyo!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Fun fact about the Traveler's power level: the Sumeru quest with the knowledge capsule actually does measurably increase their stats... by a whopping 3 ATK

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I am not a huge Genshin lore nerd, but I got the impression that the Traveler and their sibling were attacked as soon as they entered Teyvat, and had never explored it at all beforehand.

They're attacked when they are attempting to leave Teyvat, not entering.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, if you're addicted like me, here's a video of the Sumeru cast just chilling and struggling with wishes and talking about who they expected to get cast as and didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bi6uoDHuB4

This is great.

"If you gently caress with the forst... I will kill you"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Collei's VA is precious

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Somehow her natural voice sounds even more like an anime character? Maybe just the microphone distortion.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Clarste posted:

The Travelers show up in Teyvat right when the god war breaks out. Their reaction is understandably to get the hell out of this place but then they are stopped by the red cube goddess who strips them of their god-like powers. Our chosen Traveler is left in some kind of coma for a long rear end time until they wake up somewhere near Mondstadt where they fish up Paimon. The other twin's fate is more nebulous but it seems like they were not thrown into a deep sleep and lived through most of the god war and the fall of Khaenriah, hence why they are allied with the Abyss.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is it stated anywhere that they arrive right as the khaenriah war is going on?

The MC doesn't really know anything about it so I always figured that they arrived at some undefined point before that and it happened during the timeskip.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The traveler 100% recalled the destruction of khaenriah. She has a cut scene where she remembers. It’s just a matter of how far before or during that she arrived.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Did the Dainslief quest have some very confusing dialog about the Traveller twins arriving in a meteor and then the protagonist took a long nap in the meteor, or did I somehow imagine that?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is it stated anywhere that they arrive right as the khaenriah war is going on?

The MC doesn't really know anything about it so I always figured that they arrived at some undefined point before that and it happened during the timeskip.

The fall of Khaenri'ah is just the one definitive event we know the traveler witnessed. It was what prompted the twins to try and leave. The big question is (Current Archon quest)why did our twin get twisted to become part of this world and why were we not? Given that it's tied to Irminsul I think it's safe to say the reason why the traveler lost their memory is because that was part of the process of making them tied to the world, and someone interrupted it, making the memories disappear.

As for Paimon, she's absolutely not the Sustainer. If she's connected to Celestia, she is a shard of Istaroth. Paimon can control time letting us freeze it and fast forward and notably she was fished out of the ocean at the Unknown Island which is a temple to Istaroth. As well Venti is inanely sus and the reason I think he has been constantly lying and manipulating the traveler is that he is himself a servant of Istaroth, given her status as the real god of old Mondstadt even before he was an archon. The other theory which has some weight and would be really tragic is that Paimon is the last seelie. Seelies existed to guide mankind, to teach them of the world. As well seelies were cursed because they fell in love with humans. Notably if you have done the ARanara questline there was another seelie survivor who came to live in the desert and befriended Greater Lord Rhukkadevata.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, the Traveller is using a pseudonym, because the sibling calls them by their canonical name. Also, what the hell do they mean with their treasure chest line where they talk about the world "answering" them? Also...

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
There is absolutely no reason to feel bad about killing the legions of hilchurls and fungi and whatever else sees fit to attack you on sight.

gandlethorpe posted:

Collei's VA is precious

I like the damage one where she says something like 'don't touch me.' That sounds exceptionally suitable for her, and it's incredibly different from everything else she says.

Also I got her namecard and the quote just being "I—It's Cuilein-Anbar! I, uh..." is pretty funny. I assume she's just copying Amber's "It's Baron Bunny!," and then realizing exactly how that sounds (again).

Tragically, she's now off my friend team and I get the supreme misery of trying to make good blooms with tighnari, at least until all those other hydro guys finally cycle out and I have an entirely different sort of bad team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, the Traveller is using a pseudonym, because the sibling calls them by their canonical name. Also, what the hell do they mean with their treasure chest line where they talk about the world "answering" them? Also...

That's just a silent protagonist problem, because they have canonical names but since they let you name them, it means they can't be calling them Lumine or Aether in the story.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

That's just a silent protagonist problem, because they have canonical names but since they let you name them, it means they can't be calling them Lumine or Aether in the story.
The sibling does, though! In the one scene where they've spoken to each other, in We Will Be Reunited, an NPC Aether calls a female Traveller "Lumine" in his VO, and vice versa. They don't even try to dodge it. So what does it mean??

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 17, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gandlethorpe posted:

Collei's VA is precious

Wow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cAeVctPQ_E

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I learned a neat tech from this event. Normally on ps/controller the aim mode is a hold, not a toggle. But if you are charging a shot and use a camera (or presumably any item you can use while charging a shot, which as far as i can tell is only cameras), it'll leave you in aim mode until you press the button again.

Not terribly useful, but neat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zenostein posted:

I learned a neat tech from this event. Normally on ps/controller the aim mode is a hold, not a toggle. But if you are charging a shot and use a camera (or presumably any item you can use while charging a shot, which as far as i can tell is only cameras), it'll leave you in aim mode until you press the button again.

Not terribly useful, but neat.

It's a weird, old bug that happens a lot if you're aiming while a cutscene or a camera cut triggers, I guess the camera item counts as one of those. I get it all the time with Dvalin and Azhdaha.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I've always assumed that the human enemies are just fainting like Pokemon

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FractalSandwich posted:

Well, like 70% of world treasure chests are sealed by abyssal script that breaks when the traveler does something, and a further 25% poof into existence after the traveler boost-climbs a golem arm or blows up five barrels of explosive slime that didn't exist 15 seconds ago.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The traveler 100% recalled the destruction of khaenriah. She has a cut scene where she remembers. It’s just a matter of how far before or during that she arrived.

Yeah and there are hints the traveler knew something about Khaenriah. One of the profile chats with paimon talks about the different hillichurls clans, while most of them are pretty silly the eclipse clan is pretty indepth and has the traveler lingering on the word Eclipse, which was Khaenriahs dynastys name and symbol.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
What's Tart doing playing with kids in Inazuma lmao

Wasn't he supposed to be hunting Scara? You're in the wrong country and also we already took him out. What's your role in the story even supposed to be nowadays? :thunk:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe hes gonna bring the dead boob harbinger's body back to snezhnaya

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Well this kind of an opportunity is quite hard to come by

also Yoimiya is still so wholesome :3:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe hes gonna bring the dead boob harbinger's body back to snezhnaya

what body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

MoonCrab posted:

What's Tart doing playing with kids in Inazuma lmao

Wasn't he supposed to be hunting Scara? You're in the wrong country and also we already took him out. What's your role in the story even supposed to be nowadays? :thunk:

cashcow.

Real hosed up that yoimiya's just like "oh yeah, he tried to destroy a city, but he was nice to kids here, so this is fine." What the hell yoimiya.

Stare-Out posted:

It's a weird, old bug that happens a lot if you're aiming while a cutscene or a camera cut triggers, I guess the camera item counts as one of those. I get it all the time with Dvalin and Azhdaha.

slightly disappointing, but I guess it's nice they didn't fix it. would be nice if there was a hold/toggle option, for those moments when you need to walk on invisible pathways or whatever.