Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Drone_Fragger posted:

Something like 5 people a year are killed by coconuts falling off trees and braining them or fracturing their neck.

This is exactly how my great grandfather murdered my great grandmother and got away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My great grandfather was a wealthy coconut plantation baron and my great grandmother invented the bouncy house.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I’m not sure I feel about coconuts. in general. will be sure to update if I come to any conclusions.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

I'm allergic to coconut so it's nice to see them attacking non-allergic people too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My great grandfather was a wealthy coconut

I always thought there was something odd about how you smell faintly of coconut at all times, that sets my mind at ease.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The book this is from should be linked in the OP. Looks like some good reading.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bulbar sore! I chose -- OOF!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Buce posted:

will be sure to update if I come to any concussions.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/uscpsc/status/1592930196294107141?s=46&t=ZWrKM1SlN-w9Ht7Y8UeKAg

The hoop in the corner turns out to act exactly like a noose if your head is the right size and you bounce high enough.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I worked a case like this when I did short-term disability, decades ago. The REASON FOR DISABILITY was "hunting accident" but when I got the medical records, it turns out the dude had stepped out of his truck onto a manhole that wasn't properly secured, it pivoted, and he teabagged that manhole cover within an inch of both of their lives.

Can't remember what I gave him. Like a week, I think?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The best war movies are anti-war.

Edit: misread as war movies, not war planes. My point stands though. It’s just irrelevant to the discussion.

Some good war movies (seeing as we just went past the 11th of November, good time to remember them):

Da 5 Bloods
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9777644/

When the kid who hadn't been in the Army started digging at a metallic object in the ground I was sure it was going to be UXO and he was going to get blasted into pieces.

A bit of foreshadowing when we met the demining team and then to later have not one, but two people stand on a mine in the forest. And what did the kid do when he saw the older guy stand on a mine and the Army vets yelled out they were in a minefield? He wandered off to go and stand on another!!!

All Quiet on the Western Front
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078753/ (1979)

I've seen the 1979 version and the 1930 version. Both are good. Haven't yet watched the new one on Netflix.

Really, the whole thing was really just quite dangerous but nothing specifically stands out as able to be improved by some OSHA.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/uscpsc/status/1592930196294107141?s=46&t=ZWrKM1SlN-w9Ht7Y8UeKAg

The hoop in the corner turns out to act exactly like a noose if your head is the right size and you bounce high enough.

:( This bums me out so much. Imagine working at a company making toys for children, thinking at least you're making kids happy, and then it turns out a product you designed or manufactured has a literally-fatal design flaw that destroyed a family or two before you could remove it. Must be heartbreaking.

Except for those lawn dart guys. They knew what they were doing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

:( This bums me out so much. Imagine working at a company making toys for children, thinking at least you're making kids happy, and then it turns out a product you designed or manufactured has a literally-fatal design flaw that destroyed a family or two before you could remove it. Must be heartbreaking.

What if they work for Dan Halen Sheet Rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMq-ZnLwyeA

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A ritual sacrifice to ensure stability.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I would imagine that the folks that design children's toys fall into 2 categories.

1) Folks that just want to make kids happy.

2) Folks that despise all of humanity and are actively working towards the end of us all.

There may be some overlap between those 2 groups.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

This must be in reverse.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I tried to find that post to see if it was fake, and if you search top posts by all time one of the top results is a guy that found an explosive that blew up on them.

edit: lol as someone else points out, you can see the marks on the mortar where he was hitting a tree with it

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have a whole rack of “medieval maces”

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm never taking stairs or elevators again

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7158887120772336942
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7166037742583958826

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chitoryu12 posted:

This site is great OSHA content.

Oops, our bird bath is a small death ray.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Platystemon posted:

realistically, how dangerous are these to handle?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Explosives don't get more stable as they age

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Forgotten explosives from old wars. Famously never a problem.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Don't remove it. That's a load bearing tape measure.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Very.
UXO is unpredictable and the ordinance might either become sensitized or needs just one more tap or jostle for the fuze to fire.

Standard procedure for handling them is: dont.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chrisgt posted:

“I was detecting in a forest looking for coins , i was diggind down when i hit a WW1 detonator for a 155 mm shell , it blow up on me. In the same hole i fond a 2nd detonator and a german stick grenade that didn explode i was very lucky i still have my both eyes. Be careful when you dig down :)

Graphic photos

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It also depends on whether they've got a fuse installed, and what type that fuse is. If it's an impact fuse that didn't trigger due to e.g. soft ground or just manufacturing error, then it's sort of handle-able. Still not great, but usually the procedure is to remotely uninstall the fuse (sometiems with a rad rocket-powered wrench) and then just pick up the shell/bomb and cart it off to a disposal site.

But if it's a time-delayed fuse of the sort that were used in the WWII bombing campaigns you're in way more trouble. They're often based on an acid of some sort eating through a resistor at a predetermined rate, and the bomb e.g. ending up upside-down in soft ground can cause them to fail to detonate without actually becoming inert. Those can end up being triggered even by fairly mild vibrations and shocks. And that's before you even get into dedicated anti-handling features that react to being tilted or magnetic interference. For those, your best bet is to not touch and just safely detonate the whole thing in-situ.

Platystemon posted:

“I was detecting in a forest looking for coins , i was diggind down when i hit a WW1 detonator for a 155 mm shell , it blow up on me. In the same hole i fond a 2nd detonator and a german stick grenade that didn explode i was very lucky i still have my both eyes. Be careful when you dig down :)

Graphic photos

That reminds me of an anecdote from a friend of mine who grew up in post-WWII Germany. One day, his mother found him playing with a bunch of small white marble-looking things. She asked him where he found those, apparently since they looked like they would be nice as some decorative bits for their curtains. He said he found a bunch of them in the woods, which didn't make much sense to anyone until his grandfather got involved and recognized them. As it turned out, he had stumbled across a weapon cache out in those woods. Those marble thingies were actually the bits attached to the rip cords of old stick hand grenades, which he had slowly and carefully untied from those cords:

Now, presumably those grenades would've been reasonably safe as they shouldn't have their fuses installed, but still :stonk:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Here is james may trying to difuse a "practice bomb" which still had a small charge.
https://youtu.be/nnQ_pS4T0vI

even james may fucks it up

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 17, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

chrisgt posted:

The French have an exciting area where you can find out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

the top photo and the mortar rounds at the bottom of the second phot are modern era. That guy is looking for UXO.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chrisgt posted:

Mortar rounds have a safety pin (think the pin on a grenade) and so one source of UXO is doing a fire mission and someone forgetting to pull it. Which then rusts through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most OSHA UXO is the SS Richard Montgomery, which sank in the middle of a major harbor with 1500 tons of explosives on board and most of it is still there today

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 17, 2022

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Graphic photos

Maybe it's just me, but I would never have found the second detonator and stick grenade because I would have STOPPED DIGGING.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

haveblue posted:

The most OSHA UXO is the SS Richard Montgomery, which sank in the middle of a major harbor with 1500 tons of explosives on board and most of it is still there today

Apparently a contractor is supposed to remove the masts next year, so I'd say there's a fair chance of a massive explosion in the near future.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

i do love a spicy shipwreck

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Buce posted:

i do love a spicy shipwreck

a recent BBC article is a quick read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61370382

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Perestroika posted:

It also depends on whether they've got a fuse installed, and what type that fuse is. If it's an impact fuse that didn't trigger due to e.g. soft ground or just manufacturing error, then it's sort of handle-able. Still not great, but usually the procedure is to remotely uninstall the fuse (sometiems with a rad rocket-powered wrench) and then just pick up the shell/bomb and cart it off to a disposal site.

But if it's a time-delayed fuse of the sort that were used in the WWII bombing campaigns you're in way more trouble. They're often based on an acid of some sort eating through a resistor at a predetermined rate,

If we're talking about WWI bombs/shells, then some of the fill explosives can become extremely unstable with time. Picric acid (tinitrophenol) in particular likes to react with metals in a corroding shell or fuse assembly to form picrate salts and when they do it becomes very touchy, and pretty much everyone used picric acid as fill. Lyddite, melinite, ecrasite, these were all picric acid mixtures. Maybe if you've got a lot of water exposure those salts dissolve and wash away, or maybe the shell buried in mud corrodes enough to let in enough water to form those salts but not enough to wash them away, and there's no way to tell by looking at it. You really don't want to gently caress with WW1 UXO, even putting aside the fact that they might have chemical weapon fill that's still really nasty, because even if the fill doesn't detonate picking up a shell and having 100-year-old sulfur mustard spill out all over you is also not good. Occasionally there's still someone who digs into something in France and melts his skin off, or someone goes digging in an old disposal site and gets sick.

Perestroika posted:

Now, presumably those grenades would've been reasonably safe as they shouldn't have their fuses installed, but still :stonk:

That doesn't follow.. That porcelain ball is tied to the fuse, so if you've got a stielhandgranate with a cord hanging out the end of it, there's a fuse in there. Now by the time WWII came around, explosive fill was generally something considerably more stable than TNP, but you still need a small quantity of something less stable in order to set it off, and in a lot of applications including stielhandgranate that thing was lead azide. Lead azide is *generally* pretty safe, but that grenade's fuse assembly has a capsule that contains the friction compound (basically the match head that you ignite when you pull the cord), and that capsule is made from copper. And in the presence of air and moisture, lead azide reacts with copper to form copper azide, and copper azide is goes-off-if-you-look-at-it-funny unstable, and "blow it up in place" is the first choice when disposing of stuff that contains copper azide.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 17, 2022