Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm the idiot who bought Rocksmith+ and tried to enjoy it. I failed but a side effect is that I have my guitar hooked up to my PC for the first time in ages.

Does anyone have any fun software recommendations for the following?

1. Cool tones!
2. MP3 playback with speed and pitch shifting!
3. Tabs!!

My fallback for the above three is:
1. Guitar rig demo that runs for 30 minutes and then has to restart
2. Winamp with the pacemaker plugin (the same solution I was using literally 20 years ago)
3. Google

folks there must be a better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Beato

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
get a bunch of cool gear and put it to the side to make room for more gear

watch ola

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fuf posted:

I'm the idiot who bought Rocksmith+ and tried to enjoy it. I failed but a side effect is that I have my guitar hooked up to my PC for the first time in ages.

1. Cool tones!
3. Tabs!!

2. Winamp with the pacemaker plugin (the same solution I was using literally 20 years ago)
3. Google

For point 2, give Moises a shot. You upload any audio file and it’ll break out stems and generate a metronome track, and you can vary both the playback speed (in BPM, not %) and key (separately) and mute/solo stems. It’s really nice. It is a subscription for most of the features but it’s like $40/year.

Point 1, AmpliTube is on fire sale right now because they just put out their next generation software, “TONEX”, that works kinda like a software Kemper. AmpliTube isn’t the best sounding thing out there but it’s pretty good and will give you every kind of gear you could ask for.

Edit: Point 3, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 16, 2022

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

if you're going to complain about I V vi IV then you might as well complain about big boy I IV V and all derivative blues progressions in which case guitar I feel like will be a difficult path for you... but of course I went deep into ego jazz technical school looking for the secret progression that would open up my world and came out thinking that shits blows and all that theory just gets in the way of feeling your own voice.....man
Spice up that boring ii-V-I by playing the ii as a rootless minor7 chord. Very few people have used a chord progression as radical as this.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

The Leck posted:

Spice up that boring ii-V-I by playing the ii as a rootless minor7 chord. Very few people have used a chord progression as radical as this.

:golfclap:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol I'd never thought about it that way and now I'm deeply amused.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

fuf posted:

1. Cool tones!
3. Tabs!!

3. Google

Neural dsp is about to start their black friday sale and their amp sims are supposed to be really good. I don't have any but I'm thinking about picking one up. I just use an old guitar rig 5 light version that came with my first interface.

I just use ultimate guitar or whatever for tabs, though if you have the older rocksmith you can also find custom dlc for that.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was actually never a chord progression snob i just like watched pat finnerty and accidentally internalized the "no I-V-vi-IV" thing too hard

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i really like when i only have to use my first and fourth fingers to play a chord and i can hold my middle and index fingers up and stretch em it makes me feel like a real guitar player

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fuf posted:

I'm a big fan of the Amazing Slow Downer, after about an hour with the free version, I went and threw the guys money. Before that, I too was doing Pacemaker in Winamp, so it was a pretty natural progression! Now ASD is my go-to whenever I want to play along with something, whether I'm slowing it down/changing pitch or not.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Arcsech posted:

Point 1, AmpliTube is on fire sale right now because they just put out their next generation software, “TONEX”, that works kinda like a software Kemper.

I've been trying tonex and it's honestly pretty cool. The tone.net database of user uploaded captures is what makes the software cool, good profiles of almost any amp you want. Just like all IK software though the UI is pure poo poo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

After The War posted:

I'm a big fan of the Amazing Slow Downer, after about an hour with the free version, I went and threw the guys money. Before that, I too was doing Pacemaker in Winamp, so it was a pretty natural progression! Now ASD is my go-to whenever I want to play along with something, whether I'm slowing it down/changing pitch or not.

I haven't tried anything else but it's real good.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

fuf posted:

1. Cool tones!
3. Tabs!!

3. Google

1) Some good free VST amp sims are made by Vadim Taranov / VTarAmps and also some dude named LePou. I used the LePou SLO-100 sim for a while and it sounded pretty good. If you're willing to pay money, the Neural DSP plugins are supposedly the best by all accounts but they're pretty pricey. You could also go with a hardware modeler like an HX Stomp and get a zillion models + a ton of effects + an interface that you can also use with an amp or powered cab but that's pretty expensive as well

2) No idea, I use youtube to slow poo poo down because I'm a lazy idiot

3) Songsterr for searching, Guitar Pro for making. Guitar Pro is also good for downloading and reading the playable tabs from like Ultimate Guitar or whatever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Plug directly into your interface at enough gain to clip it.

I joke, but actually it's a decent lead tone and it's basically the modern equivalent of the lead tone on Revolution.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Way too much work and re-work on a simple wiring job later, and she's almost done :')
This weekend I'll cut the nut slots and put on a string tree (or maybe not, who knows?? they work fine without any!) and set her up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Some ding dong redid my robert cray mim in gold hardware and installed the worst bridge. String tension makes all kind of screws screw. I replaced it with a 15 dollar part and it is fine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a pair of 108s. They are so loud I only take one to rehearsal. At regular bedroom volume you must kill all the bass signal to the cab or it will be all boom. Turn up to rehearsal level and just be careful whom you point it at. They get loud. I've never needed both except when I wanted to indulge in stereo. Questions?

if one likes to dabble in both guitar and bass (4, 5 and 6), and will be feeding either Neural plugs or maybe a Helix into the system, is two 8" active speakers and a subwoofer a sane thing to even consider? I want it to work across my whole pile of neglected, dusty instruments if I invest. and i absolutely want stereo, i constantly goof with weird fx and delays and might want the speaker system to double duty as a backyard party thing now and then.

also ive kind of picked up conflicting info, i get the science between frfr speakers but people also say "nooo you can't use amplified PA speakers instead, you need transient power something something blah blah mouthfeel je ne sais quois". What's the score?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Way too much work and re-work on a simple wiring job later, and she's almost done :')
This weekend I'll cut the nut slots and put on a string tree (or maybe not, who knows?? they work fine without any!) and set her up.

That’s looking awesome!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if one likes to dabble in both guitar and bass (4, 5 and 6), and will be feeding either Neural plugs or maybe a Helix into the system, is two 8" active speakers and a subwoofer a sane thing to even consider? I want it to work across my whole pile of neglected, dusty instruments if I invest. and i absolutely want stereo, i constantly goof with weird fx and delays and might want the speaker system to double duty as a backyard party thing now and then.

also ive kind of picked up conflicting info, i get the science between frfr speakers but people also say "nooo you can't use amplified PA speakers instead, you need transient power something something blah blah mouthfeel je ne sais quois". What's the score?

Bass amps and cabs usually are way closer to PA speakers than guitar amps are. I've used a single headrush 108 to play bass for a small bar gig before.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

The Leck posted:

lol its funny because that makes it into a IV-V-I

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

havelock posted:

Neural dsp is about to start their black friday sale and their amp sims are supposed to be really good. I don't have any but I'm thinking about picking one up. I just use an old guitar rig 5 light version that came with my first interface.

I just use ultimate guitar or whatever for tabs, though if you have the older rocksmith you can also find custom dlc for that.

Question re: DAW amp sims etc, would it be worth buying like Bias FX or a Neural DSP sim or saving that money and selling my old Line 6 Spider II to upgrade to a Katana or newer modelling amp and running that into my PC? Pros are I would have the amp and related sounds available for offline playing as well, cons are it's a bit more expensive and probably not as good maybe?

I know next to nothing about playing through the PC except I used the Rocksmith cable for about a week with the trial license for BiasFX and Reaper and it sounded nicer than my current amp.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

fuf posted:

1. Cool tones!

Cakewalk (free DAW) comes with some nice plugins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D6w1znMcY

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

Question re: DAW amp sims etc, would it be worth buying like Bias FX or a Neural DSP sim or saving that money and selling my old Line 6 Spider II to upgrade to a Katana or newer modelling amp and running that into my PC? Pros are I would have the amp and related sounds available for offline playing as well, cons are it's a bit more expensive and probably not as good maybe?

I know next to nothing about playing through the PC except I used the Rocksmith cable for about a week with the trial license for BiasFX and Reaper and it sounded nicer than my current amp.

I'm thinking this will come down to what you really want to do more than any inherent tech limitations. Personally, I'm not terribly picky about chasing a very specific tone - I just like some variety occasionally. I have a trademark 30 amp for playing without a computer (it's a solid state analogue modeling type thing...plus I have a vox ac4tv) and then use stuff on my computer (guitar rig 5 le) when I want to record anything. Theoretically I could hook all my pedals up and run them into my interface if I wanted to do that, too, but I haven't really felt the urge to.

I'm sure the modeling in the katana is at least a little better than the spider, but is it good enough to go through the hassle? Likewise, you can get amp sims for your computer for $100 or less - guitar rig is half off right now, too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Plank Walker posted:

Maybe consider a modeling unit, like the HX Stomp or the myriad Mooer/Nux/etc offerings? I love my HX just to plug in and play, and also bought the discounted Helix Native plugin in case I feel compelled to plug into my computer.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Guitar Rig six has a free version, shouldn't have any limitations beside less stuff?

ML Amped Roots free is excellent and has a really cool cab section

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol its funny because that makes it into a IV-V-I

OH!

She Belongs To Me does something similar, with G, C, and C/G and then resolves to the A in a very bluesy way which is the 2 but feels like it should be the 5. It worked very immediately and obviously but I couldn't totally figure out why

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Deep down in my heart I know there are only two chords in all of music the triads on the I and the triads on the II

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ethanol posted:

Deep down in my heart I know there are only two chords in all of music the triads on the I and the triads on the II

wish this is how I got exposed to modes rather than "heres this Miles Davis album and 5 extra scales w/ the names of Greek column styles"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

wish this is how I got exposed to modes rather than "heres this Miles Davis album and 5 extra scales w/ the names of Greek column styles"

I struggle with fluency of the modes a lot even thinking of them as just relative to the parent major for many years. my first guitar teacher (high school) taught me one position of the major scale and then a bunch of positions of the pentatonic scales for each key. my second guitar teacher (at jazz school) taught me every position of the parent major scale and said start from different roots and you get the modes.

the problem for me with thinking in parent major is tending to accent the notes of that parent major tonic because of muscle memory, so instead I need to build muscle memory starting from numerous roots. It's too much to be thinking about live, for me anyways, so we're kinda right back at learning a bunch of modes as independent things. I tend to fall back to guitar teacher 1's strategy when things are getting dicey and I'm losing sense of where I should be going

no idea if I'm explaining that right.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 17, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

I struggle with fluency of the modes a lot even thinking of them as just relative to the parent major for many years. my first guitar teacher (high school) taught me one position of the major scale and then a bunch of positions of the pentatonic scales for each key. my second guitar teacher (at jazz school) taught me every position of the parent major scale and said start from different roots and you get the modes.

the problem for me with thinking in parent major is tending to accent the notes of that parent major tonic because of muscle memory, so instead I need to build muscle memory starting from numerous roots. It's too much to be thinking about live, for me anyways, so we're kinda right back at learning a bunch of modes as independent things. I tend to fall back to guitar teacher 1's strategy when things are getting dicey and I'm losing sense of where I should be going

no idea if I'm explaining that right.

they say it's better to think of the modes in terms of the parallel major scale, but with certain notes made flat or made sharp.

so for example, instead of thinking of Mixolydian as "major scale, but it starts on the 5th scale degree" you could think "major scale, but with a flat-7 degree" and that's easier to think about.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I find it easier to remember chords in a mode by thinking of the relative major/natural minor like "e phrygian, it's the chords from c major," and individual notes by applying changes to a scale like "it's the major with a flat 7th" or "it's natural minor with a major 6th" or whatever.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

they say it's better to think of the modes in terms of the parallel major scale, but with certain notes made flat or made sharp.

so for example, instead of thinking of Mixolydian as "major scale, but it starts on the 5th scale degree" you could think "major scale, but with a flat-7 degree" and that's easier to think about.

this is the approach I'm chafing against above. very practical, limiting to some (me) as a method of analysis

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get it, but you'll get to a point where that's a very easy thing to mentally handle, and if you're playing in G mixo and thinking "this is just C major" you'll end up doing dumb poo poo like trying to resolve G->C instead of D->G. Mentally you'll be trying to emphasize the wrong notes and it'll sound dumb and meaningless.

Remembering "this is Gmaj but instead of F# it's F" lets you land in the right places at the right times and also (as long as you're not playing over an Fmaj or Dmin or something) you can do little fucky things with both the F# and F natural notes, chromatic runs, doing a really quick lick in Gmaj, jumping back and forth a little, whatever. It gives you some room to breathe and play around with what makes it mixo instead of major.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

if you're playing in G mixo and thinking "this is just C major"

I don't think this is what I (or anyone else here) is saying but idk maybe I'm in over my head

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

This way of thinking makes sense to me if you’re playing a piano, because that instrument makes a distinction between sharps and neutral notes in its interface, but it’s always been way more trouble than it’s worth to me on the guitar, where sharp positions are not easily distinguished from other notes.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Baron von Eevl posted:

I get it, but you'll get to a point where that's a very easy thing to mentally handle, and if you're playing in G mixo and thinking "this is just C major" you'll end up doing dumb poo poo like trying to resolve G->C instead of D->G. Mentally you'll be trying to emphasize the wrong notes and it'll sound dumb and meaningless.

Remembering "this is Gmaj but instead of F# it's F" lets you land in the right places at the right times and also (as long as you're not playing over an Fmaj or Dmin or something) you can do little fucky things with both the F# and F natural notes, chromatic runs, doing a really quick lick in Gmaj, jumping back and forth a little, whatever. It gives you some room to breathe and play around with what makes it mixo instead of major.

This is a very alien way of thinking about this stuff to me. I'm a huge moron so I just learned the 3nps modal scales shapes so I didn't have to do a bunch of mental math and memorization of which modes have which sharps and flats relative to the major and then try to map it to the fret board in real time. That sounds so much harder to me, but then again what do I know, my improv is pretty poo poo. Coincidentally, I just got a Boss RC-5 in the mail today to help me work on it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

in a broader music theory context, parallel keys are generally closer to each other than relative keys. it sucks because you want to just memorize "oh D dorian is C major" but in the grand scheme of things what opens up the world is actually having a good concept of the feel of the different modes. the same way major and minor have a feel-- the same way natural minor and harmonic minor have a feel, even.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JamesKPolk posted:

I don't think this is what I (or anyone else here) is saying but idk maybe I'm in over my head

I mean that's what I thought this was saying:

JamesKPolk posted:

this is the approach I'm chafing against above. very practical, limiting to some (me) as a method of analysis

And like I said, it's mostly how I approach thinking about what chords are available in a mode I don't usually play in; I think of what chords are available in the relative major or relative natural minor but I don't think it's a good approach to thinking about melodies, solos, or other individual note stuff.

Arcsech posted:

This way of thinking makes sense to me if you’re playing a piano, because that instrument makes a distinction between sharps and neutral notes in its interface, but it’s always been way more trouble than it’s worth to me on the guitar, where sharp positions are not easily distinguished from other notes.

From spending 20+ years converting things I was writing to sheet music or piano roll in a DAW I'm very familiar what every note on the fretboard is, so that's a very easy approach for me. I won't usually do that for a more complex key signature like Db major but if I'm in Dmajor I'll definitely think "two sharps, C and F" or F major I'll keep Bb in mind. Once you're up and running the muscle memory is doing most of it anyway, but for larger jumps or doing a big position change, or thinking about how to throw in accidentals yeah I'll think of key signatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

its good to have more than one way to think about this stuff. during analysis, there isn't the same time pressure as when you're playing. the other way of thinking (relative scales instead of parallel scales) can be more useful for connecting different ideas.

Arcsech posted:

just speaking for myself, i'm not thinking about note names on the guitar. rather, i'm thinking about interval shapes. so when i say to myself "Mixolydian has a flat-7 instead of a natural 7" that only helps me if i know both of those interval shapes with respect to my root.

The other way to think in terms of parallel scales would be "C Mixolydian has a Bb instead of a B." I don't usually think this way while playing, because I still don't have 100% the fretboard memorized. But it would probably be better for when I want to play all over the neck.