Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Didnt there use to be an online retailer called play.com or something that used to sell every game for £1 less than retail and send it out a few days early cuz they were in the channel islands or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that’s basically the same model that shopto and base operate under to keep their prices down I think (taking advantage of some tax poo poo), but street date breaking is a thing of the past now I guess because nobody does it except for the occasional brick and mortar fuckup OR if you have a connect who can hook you up.

When I worked retail and had a cool manager we used to just buy a gift card for the value of whatever, then lock that in the cash safe and take the games/consoles home as soon as they turned up to get around the POS lockout on the street dates.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 17, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Base.com sent out my copy of Trails from Zero a week early because they got the dates wrong lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Escobarbarian posted:

tactics ogre lol sure. poo poo grid gameplay but it’s yelling “that bad guy had a family!!!!!!!” at you every 20 seconds. no thanks

jk ily all ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

every twenty seconds????? you are flying through battles!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember I got Saints Row 2 like 2 weeks early and then I broke my hand and had to figure out how to hold a controller with my left hand in a cast.

Still managed to finish the game before the street date.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
play.com got me many games the day before release including Red Dead Redemption even though I had completely missed even hearing of its existence until the beginning of that week

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok I really hate the Maven fight in Ragnarok.

If you gently caress up your timing with parrying the sword throw, you’re basically not going to win the fight. The other huge problem is that you have to change distances often with this fight, but that’s a pain because she varies her attacks constantly with going from stuff you need to dodge on with the sword charge, to the other attack where she does the AOE attack and because of the size of the arena, if you aren’t close enough to do the shield stun you are going to take a bunch of damage.

I spent like 45 mins on that fight before I gave up and reloaded an earlier save to do something else

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just want to give a special shoutout to the insane variety of background fauna in Ragnarok, from obvious stuff like fish and birds and plants, to rats, little mushroom head dudes, lizards, bugs, monkeys, flying lizard faeries, fireflies, carnivorous plants, things that wave at you, things that sit there and stare at you, and so many other details that are easy to miss if you are speedrunning through it.

The first dozen screenshots I took were exclusively of the little critters on the rocks in the various realms.

I think I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Ragnarok's story, veering off the main path at every single opportunity because holy poo poo the amount of character moments that feel vital to their growth is insane, and yeah I think I like this game more than 2018 in just about every single way. The only thing that caught me off-guard and took me some time adjusting to was drastically reducing--if not outright eliminating--invincibility when using runic abilities and relics. I don't know if I necessarily think this is a bad change (certainly stops those scenarios in 2018 where you abuse said i-frames and take off half of Sigrun's health while her health bar HUD element is still fading in), just meant I had to put more thought into situation awareness.

Also I think Kratos is way funnier in Ragnarok; his (slightly) chilled out demeanor allows him to have a greater variety of responses in conversations beyond "shut up, boy/head"

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Namnesor posted:

Also I think Kratos is way funnier in Ragnarok; his (slightly) chilled out demeanor allows him to have a greater variety of responses in conversations beyond "shut up, boy/head"

Early quote "I do not want a snack" made me lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Baggot posted:

Early quote "I do not want a snack" made me lol

I knew what this was gonna be before clicking it lol.

I loved the characters in this game so much, Kratos becoming better friends with Mimir between the games made me so happy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Casnorf posted:

every twenty seconds????? you are flying through battles!

Yeah each battle takes at least 20 minutes

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you gently caress up your timing with parrying the sword throw, you’re basically not going to win the fight. The other huge problem is that you have to change distances often with this fight, but that’s a pain because she varies her attacks constantly with going from stuff you need to dodge on with the sword charge, to the other attack where she does the AOE attack and because of the size of the arena, if you aren’t close enough to do the shield stun you are going to take a bunch of damage.

I spent like 45 mins on that fight before I gave up and reloaded an earlier save to do something else

I spent at least 30 minutes on that, and yes that range attack is annoying. Letting you into that whole area as soon as you finish helping freya seems like a mistake. The rift fight will one shot you too and you don’t have the item which makes the door fight easier.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Playing GOW on hard mode is such a weird balance - when I am doing well I feel like I would never want to play any easier as it would be a sleepwalk, but then you'll get random encounters that just kick your rear end if you don't go about them pretty much perfectly.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i have proof in my trophy list of my crowning achievement which is getting skyrim two days early (11-09-11 the same day i also got metal gear solid ps3 collection)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Costco Meatballs posted:

Playing GOW on hard mode is such a weird balance - when I am doing well I feel like I would never want to play any easier as it would be a sleepwalk, but then you'll get random encounters that just kick your rear end if you don't go about them pretty much perfectly.
It took me like 2 hours plus to beat that last Valkyrie and I was playing on medium on GoW2018. I am on the balanced playthrough for Ragnarok, and yeah, if you’re loving around too much you will get killed real quick. I have always had a hard time with Wulvers in 2018 and also this game. They hit really loving hard, and at least in Ragnarok some of them can force you into a QTE

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Costco Meatballs posted:

The difficulty is all over the place tbh. Some fights which are “objectively” easier kicked my rear end even on give me grace, and others I had a much easier time on with Give me no mercy. I even just beat a boss by increasing the difficulty a few minutes ago??

The only sort of sure fire strategy that has worked for me is to just calm down, focus on parrying and play as thoughtfully and slowly as possible, if you don’t want to do a war of attrition and learn boss patterns in tiny bits over the course of two hours

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My game of the year thus far.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

That’s a nogre from me mate

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Sounds like a certain game is a little ogre-rated

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casnorf posted:

i have proof in my trophy list of my crowning achievement which is getting skyrim two days early (11-09-11 the same day i also got metal gear solid ps3 collection)

Mine is beating Yakuza 6 like 2 months before launch because they accidentally pushed out the full game instead of a demo and I enjoyed the game so much I intentionally took my PS4 offline to prevent the license being revoked. (And yes I did pre-order the game).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

univbee posted:

Mine is beating Yakuza 6 like 2 months before launch because they accidentally pushed out the full game instead of a demo and I enjoyed the game so much I intentionally took my PS4 offline to prevent the license being revoked. (And yes I did pre-order the game).

I was very jealous that this happened to the US, and then they pushed back the English release by like a month everywhere except Singapore so I got a Singaporean PSN account and bought and played it from there instead.

I also kept my pre-order for the stupid expensive whisky tumblers edition, and then I played the whole thing over again when it arrived.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/yoloswagstudios/status/1593276967322648576

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

liquidypoo posted:

Sounds like a certain game is a little ogre-rated

Sounds like a certain someone oughta show they ain't ogre-confident and back up them fightin' words.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I like games that consist of reading 99% like of the time and also games that consist of mashing buttons 99
% of the time. And games where you basically just sit and watch and click to see the next vid (Immortality, Telling Lies)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

Finished Ragnarok and voted for it in the game awards. Sorry Elden Ring, great world and art design but dark souls is very ten years ago.

i'm gonna give you a swirly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
GOD OF WARS IS 17 YEARS OLD U poo poo.

But I think I’m nearly done, I’m just trying to do the last couple of loose ends because this is like my second point of no return warning.

Late game spoilers for the bit in vanaheim where you save Freyrhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6Evusap7o

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 17, 2022

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

boat

Electromax
May 6, 2007
(Picross S8 receiving #1 Game trophy from Family Guy douchebag) Sorry dad games, kids bonk zombies with swords... men do math.

(small dog person) Stop saying the endgame is boring!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
picross is epic

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Spoilerssss!!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Omg thunder/revolt IS in tactics ogre. Goat !! sorry elden ring

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

imhotep posted:

But I think I’m nearly done, I’m just trying to do the last couple of loose ends because this is like my second point of no return warning.

Late game spoilers for the bit in vanaheim where you save Freyrhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6Evusap7o

I totally did this too lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

imhotep posted:

The game gives you a point of no return warning after virtually every major story beat it’s very misleading

Can’t go anywhere without someone saying HEY KRATOS MAYBE WE SHOULD DO SOME EXPLORING WHILE WE STILL CAN, COULD BE OUR LAST CHANCE for basically the back 2/3rds of the entire game

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Might I recommend getting good?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Omg thunder/revolt IS in tactics ogre. Goat !! sorry elden ring

I reclassed Sara into Beast Tamer (Dragon) and immediately pressganged four dagrons into joining me, so, uh, welcome to the steamroller, everyone.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I assume GoW2 is the same as GoW1 where, after the story is done, I can do all my exploring still right? I have been doing less side-stuff as the story has gotten more interesting and I want to see where things go, but I'm skipping massive amounts of stuff.

It's definitely amusing having the characters more or less literally say "ok the story continues here, but if we go to A we can do this sidequest, and if we do B we can do that one. But it's your choice, brother." Like they are putting the reassurances you'd see in a GameFAQs guide into the dialogue directly. Doesn't really bother me to the extent it does some, but it is interesting how their accessibility settings are so rich but they didn't feel the "giving advice" aspect needed a toggle or slider - I wonder if they might've if Horizon 2 hadn't been so recent and they could react to that game's feedback on Aloy's speech.

I can remember one puzzle where he told me the solution too fast, and two puzzles where I actually wasn't seeing the solution/object and their comments helped me move on. So it wouldn't be entirely unappreciated, with the right moderation.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I honestly really like how helpful your pals are in Ragnarok. It feels right to me and keeps the pace at a steady rhythm.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Well after days of you guys going on and on endlessly about gow this and gow that I figured I'd try the 2018 one since it's in the ps5 collection. Having never played a gow before, I went in just knowing that Kratos is a dickhead. And yeah after playing a bit of 2018, he's a crybaby bitch shithead (and a bad dad). Gameplay is fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Casnorf posted:

I reclassed Sara into Beast Tamer (Dragon) and immediately pressganged four dagrons into joining me, so, uh, welcome to the steamroller, everyone.

My Sara is still an Archer, but once I recruited Arycelle I turned my other archer into a kunoichi. I usually dont like making monster teams in these games