Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

So I just wanna say last night I basically started strong arm twisting people I know to sign up for game pass because of Pentiment.

It is literally my ideal of what Game Pass should be and I hope Microsoft views it as a success, but if it doesn't I'm happy you got to make it anyway.
But then you miss out on the best part of the game, achievements

I have no idea if GP has achievements, but I am not interested in seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eason the Fifth posted:

Really trying with my hedonist Anders to seduce a nun. Like I'm giving her books and everything. ~~Notice me nun senpai~~

I am genuinely kicking myself over somehow missing this. what's the trigger/path for it?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just finished. It was excellent, and I say that as someone with very high expectations of rope kid.

It's a feast of a game, made with obvious love. Congratulations to the whole team.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shaking my head everytime Andreas asks which inch.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am genuinely kicking myself over somehow missing this. what's the trigger/path for it?

break into the library, and don't interrupt the brothers' fun. I have to imagine the nun in question would also have to have a positive opinion of you.

e. I don't bbcode good.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rusty posted:

But then you miss out on the best part of the game, achievements

I have no idea if GP has achievements, but I am not interested in seeing

They absolutely do, game pass is full copies of the game.

Congrats on your spinning though

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

algebra testes posted:

Shaking my head everytime Andreas asks which inch.

I will never not ask which inch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

I will never not ask which inch.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I'm in Act 3, and chose the 'Barbs' background expecting to just be sassy, and immediately go 'nobody would care if any of you fuckers died and you probably wouldn't even get graves', lmao. Incredible.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

one of the best games i've played this year, a worthy disco elysium follow up in the land of adventure game rpgs

10/10

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Excellent detail: in act 1, Anna stole my hat and I never got it back. In act 2, she is wearing the hat, now a little the worse for wear.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The game has a black greyhound that you can pet. GOTY

I really like how the text is displayed. I'd struggle with some of the fonts, but seeing them "written" makes them much easier to read.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Excellent detail: in act 1, Anna stole my hat and I never got it back. In act 2, she is wearing the hat, now a little the worse for wear.

In act 3 [spoiler]her daughter wears it, patched to oblivion and back[/spoilers]

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Reading Eco's The Name of the Rose and playing Pentiment made me realize just how little I know about medieval Europe. Since this is game for history nerds, does anyone have any book recommendations on the subject?

Also, the game rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Took a little break after the first act, started up the second act and all's going well, have an encounter with the Anchoress....

"Sister Amalie, is that hole your grave?" :stonklol:

If nothing else, this game made me aware of something I never, ever knew existed and it blows my mind learning about it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Missionary Positron posted:

Reading Eco's The Name of the Rose and playing Pentiment made me realize just how little I know about medieval Europe. Since this is game for history nerds, does anyone have any book recommendations on the subject?

Also, the game rules.

"The Cheese and the Worms" by Ginzburg is a good 'un. Anything by Jacques Le Goff. "Montaillou" by Leroy-Ladurie is also great, and much like Pentiment deals more with the daily life of ordinary folks than battles, sieges, knights and so forth.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I really like "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman. It's very readable. It partially follows a minor noble through the earlier parts of the 14th century, and how he gets involved in all the stuff going on (the jacquerie, the papal schism, etc.)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So like just to make sure - if it's meal time, I can gently caress around and talk to whoever, and the only way to advance time is to go to the meal?

I wanna talk to everyone and poke around but I don't wanna be late for meal with the duke :mildpanic:

Big same, game

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I got to Act 3. Man, this is a good game. Tons of little presentation details that I really appreciate.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
One of the few games I've played that draws me in and makes me feel like I've been reading a good book. Also, the swaddled babies are ridiculously cute.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there definitely seem to be some quest flag issues in act 2, at least i've seen a lot involving investigating guy, where I couldn't tell the abbot that Guy knows that I investigated him. the lady at the church also repeated her lines from the prior day to me.

good rear end game though

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
End of Act 2 stuff:

Man, the peasant revolt is gonna stick in my mind when I'm playing EU4 and click "Harsh Treatment" on rebels...

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Paracausal posted:

Every time I recite law I'm told to stfu

So it's pretty realistic then...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
every law conversation is like

A: They are going to kill us all
Me: they can't do that that's illegal

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Logician and Imperial Law unlock many "well, actually" options that just annoy people.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ngl I feel like this game achieves what ppl claim Dragon Age 2 achieves but very clearly does not. If you want to do small scale role playing, cut out the power fantasy entirely

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

rope kid posted:

Logician and Imperial Law unlock many "well, actually" options that just annoy people.

At least you left the "which kind of inches" annoyance dialogues exposed for those of us that didn't pick those traits.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Just figured out the marginalia button in conversation, Christmas Eve Act 3. Lol, lmao

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

Thank you, I knew I made the right choices

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Thinking about this the day after beating it and this is like, the most marxist history game I've ever played

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Protagonist of new vegas is "The Courier", protagonist of Pentiment is a "Master Mailer"... has Obsidian run out of ideas?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"maler" means painter as in "Mathis Der Maler"!!! Everyone knows this!!! Fly away troll

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Finally got to Act II last night and :(

Pentiment: Josh Sawyer's historically accurate child mortality rate simulator

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Just finished. Absolutely brilliant. Sticks the landing. I didn’t want it to end

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Thinking about this the day after beating it and this is like, the most marxist history game I've ever played
Marx’s insights concerned post-Agrarian economy, bro

More Maoist

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lol I don't know if it's an actual path or not. I'm just using my powerful Drunkard Lecher Rhetoric flattery every chance I get to lure them away from Christ. :sickos:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In a year that's given us such narrative gems like Norco and Citizen Sleeper, this might be the best of them all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Marx’s insights concerned post-Agrarian economy, bro

More Maoist

I mean my admittedly pretty novice marx understanding is that marx and especially engels did study a lot of the real peasant revolts mentioned and lightly fictionalized in the game, and their failures were basically one of the reasons they concluded revolution would have to come from urban proletariat rather than the peasantry. So there is quite a bit of connection there, but yeah not sure if it's the kind the OP had in mind

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 17, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I mean Marxist as in the examination of history as analyzing events through the lens of the relations of socio-economic classes

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Got to correct someone on the definition of decimate, goty.