Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nephthys posted:

Given how cartoonishly xenophobic the Imperium is, I'm curious about why any xenos would even want to travel with a Rogue Trader.

Besides the fact that Traders usually operate far from Imperial influence and strength as previously mentioned, there's the fact that for the Eldar, a race so steeped in arrogance and prophecy, the powerful men and women that make up Rogue Traders are often ideal patsies for their plans. They're super-rich, have ships that would beggar planetary economies, and are often driven far more by rapacious ambition than by good sense and/or survival instincts. What good manipulator would pass on the chance to have such toys at their disposal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Nephthys posted:

I guess theres a plot reason for it in this game given the latest companions preview.

The Rogue Trader has one or two not-insignificantly armed and armoured space ship(s), crewed by generations of gang-pressed people who haven't left the vessel nor are likely ever to. They just need the very top of the hierarchy to agree/know what is going on and they can go toe-to-toe with a fair amount of what can be thrown at them. The leaders of the vessel could turn to Chaos and the hundred people loading a bus-sized torpedo with a massive chain will be singing sea-shanty-esque dirges to the Emperor, just because the speaker system they've always followed bellowed to load said torpedo.

Also you're overestimating the intelligence/underestimating the stupidity of who they'll come across. Tell the Planetary Governor that your Tau-wearing-Groucho-glasses-nose-and-moustache is blue because he's a human from a very noble bloodline and thus has blue blood - dontcha know that's where the saying comes from, Mister Governor? - you've got a good fifty-fifty chance that the governor and his court will be wearing blue grease paint the next time you meet him. Or that it's the latest fashion in other Imperial courts, etc.

The Rogue Trader is the worldly, traveled, experienced person coming to the planet that hasn't heard much of anything from the Imperium for the past three, four decades. They can blag a bunch and get away with a lot of poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LashLightning posted:

The Space Marine appears to be of the Space Wolves chapter - one of the canon ones who are happier to bend the rules at times, even coming to blows against people who are effectively the active hand of the Imperium and representatives of Terra/the Emperor. Very easy to do a "ok, I'll work alongside the xenos witch for the mean time, but once this is over we fight each other".

I don't know about the Sister of Battle, though, she'd maybe be a Puritan route-exclusive kind of thing.

Or most probably the inevitable conflict involving The Great Enemy that is Chaos will get everyone to play nice while it needs to be dealt with.

Not only that, but they hate hate HATE the Inquisition and have banned them from entering their home system, and are generally seen as difficult/barely loyal to the Imperium by the purists.

A Space Wolf would be 100% down to join up with a Xeno "one of the good ones" to wreck some poo poo. Psykers....not so much.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LashLightning posted:

The Rogue Trader has one or two not-insignificantly armed and armoured space ship(s), crewed by generations of gang-pressed people who haven't left the vessel nor are likely ever to.

Ahah, this reminds me of the time I played the tabletop RPG, and my RT party had to arrange a marriage between the feuding families of the crew who ran our ship's broadsides, and then provide security to the Nova Cannon's enginseers, who were worried about the growing power of the now united broadside families :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Ahah, this reminds me of the time I played the tabletop RPG, and my RT party had to arrange a marriage between the feuding families of the crew who ran our ship's broadsides, and then provide security to the Nova Cannon's enginseers, who were worried about the growing power of the now united broadside families :allears:

wtf Owlcat please give me this game.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
idk when this game is set but all the big wigs of the Imperium straight up teamed up with a Pan-Eldar millernarian movement to revive Roubuoute (forgot where the U was so just covered all my bases) Guilliman so Space Marines, even the Ultramarines, are fine just bending their own rules and going "ehhhh gently caress it" if it behooves them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks for the responses. I don't know much about 40k, but I knew there had to be some way to handwave it so players could play as xenos if they wanted to in the TTRP version. I hope we get plenty of opportunities to make up increasingly implausible lies to justify them being there. Like " No no they're not an eldar. This is a very rare female space marine. Thats why they're so short and thin (comparatively)" or something.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 15, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Perestroika posted:

Eventually he goes a step further and completely forbids Magnus from doing any psyker stuff at all (mostly because his brothers were salty bitchbabies about it)

This was a command to all the Primarchs/Legions at the time ... But the Space Wolves and White Scars got away with keeping their psyker cadres on the down-low because they used their powers differently and were 'priests' of a sort rather than 'sorcerers', Rune Priests and Storm Callers if I remember the names right.

Most of the Primarch's special abilities were psyker-based, but they weren't commanded not to do them anymore unlike Magnus - Alpharius and Corax's sneakiness, Sanguinius' flight, etc.

So Magnus got told not to do his one unique cool thing that the Emperor himself 'gifted' him and his legion's abilities and usefulness got hampered by the commandment but some of the other legions got away with keeping on using their psykers by going "well, actually, if you look up the dictionary definition,"

And ironically Magnus would join the same side as Mortarian, the Death Guard Primarch, who was the one Primarch who was the saltiest bitchbaby of them all really hated psykers because the planet he landed on as a child was ruled by cruel, despotic alien psykers. The Emperor also pissed him off by denying him vengeance against those psykers, much like how he pissed Angron off by abducting him alone from his gladiator comrades.

The Emperor pissed off a lot of people and it's really a surprise that it took so long for enough people to turn against him to reduce him to a rotting psychic lighthouse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

idk when this game is set but all the big wigs of the Imperium straight up teamed up with a Pan-Eldar millernarian movement to revive Roubuoute (forgot where the U was so just covered all my bases) Guilliman so Space Marines, even the Ultramarines, are fine just bending their own rules and going "ehhhh gently caress it" if it behooves them.

Eh, there's major factions of the Imperium that would've been 100% down to kill everyone involved including the Space Marines for that affair had it not resulted in an active primarch returning, including many other Space Marine chapters.

The biggest thing about Imperium lore is that the only reason they aren't declaring Exterminatus on each other at the drop of a hat is there's always something else non-human to direct their attention at. The Inquistition has 3 main factions that will happily murder each other for putting a toe out of "line", the Ecclasiarchy will purge planets for someone going "man, I don't know about going to church 5x a week", the AdMech will turned everyone into cyber slaves, and the state sponsored Assassins are just loaned out to everyone and everything thing with enough money/influence to murder the poo poo out of whatever they are pointed at.

The Rogue Trader lore in general seems to be almost exclusively might makes right, with a healthy dash of money=power to the disregard of classic Imperium attitudes. The above mentioned comment like "what, a xeno? lol sorry you're such a backwater you don't know about blue blood humans?" is spot on that it's either that, or "gently caress off or I glass your city". A devoted servant of the Imperium is going to be like the weird kid who wants to tattle over the lightest of offenses but there's literally no one they can go to who cares.

I hope Owlcat does get it, and I really hope there's an Ork NPC character and also Ork mercs you can hire.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Since someone was asking about light-hearted Ork books, there is Brutal Kunnin’ which has its moments.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Also some Rogue Traders have a writ of trade directly from the Emperor when he was way more alive that has been passed down 10,000 years making them more connected to the divine than most Ecclesiarchy members.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's also important to note that as you get into the fringes of the Imperium you're more likely to find the upper classes dealing with xenos under the table anyways for various cool toys. And while it usually doesn't get lower down the societal chain that's not remotely guaranteed. Xenos are also not usually wandering around openly on planets, but even that can happen - and Eldar in particular are one of the races that can just flat out get away with it if the powers that be don't really care.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Puritan-radical is an Inquisition thing but the monodominant philosophy more generally describes the 'kill-every-xenos-on-sight' belief that many but not all Imperials ascribe to.

That said even inquisitors have been known to openly keep xenos as members of their retinue and they aren't getting blapped on sight by other Imperials. Having immense power at your back means a lot in terms of what the rules are. Hell, the Inquisition will sometimes even give unofficial sanction to someone who trades in xenos stuff as long as they allow them to look at their books/keep the really bad stuff out of circulation. Imperial dogma gets a little hazy when people with the power to kill planets and who answer only to the conveniently mute Emperor are involved.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, what I think a lot of people are missing here is that the Imperium may look like a monolithic entity but it's actually a hotbed of schisms, factions, backstabbing and true to all totalitarian tyrannies also a giant pile of hypocrisy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just like the Catholic Church!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Samovar posted:

Just like the Catholic Church!

Also weird little guys dabbling in forbidden secrets wot Man was not meant to ken.
Again, very much like the Church.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LashLightning posted:

This was a command to all the Primarchs/Legions at the time ... But the Space Wolves and White Scars got away with keeping their psyker cadres on the down-low because they used their powers differently and were 'priests' of a sort rather than 'sorcerers', Rune Priests and Storm Callers if I remember the names right.

That distinction was absolutely bullshit though, and the fact they were allowed to get away with it in the fiction more so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

This is amazing and really makes me want to hear more about how they're going to do the Voidship. Home bases are my favorite thing in RPGs, and spaceships are my favorite among those since it lets you bring "home" with you wherever you go.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, what I think a lot of people are missing here is that the Imperium may look like a monolithic entity but it's actually a hotbed of schisms, factions, backstabbing and true to all totalitarian tyrannies also a giant pile of hypocrisy.
Like Dune (one of the setting's many influences!) it's basically Feudalism in Space. If your planet pays its tithes, sends a bunch of warm bodies for the Guard and doesn't do anything too openly heretical then you'll mostly be left alone, especially if you're out in the celestial boonies. The mountains are high and the Emperor is far away, and all that.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They're teasing... something for tommorrow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/yx1dkm/we_heard_a_rumour_that_if_you_are_a_rogue_trader/

Probably a full fledged trailer and/or an announcement of an alpha timeframe

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirFozzie posted:

They're teasing... something for tommorrow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/yx1dkm/we_heard_a_rumour_that_if_you_are_a_rogue_trader/

Probably a full fledged trailer and/or an announcement of an alpha timeframe

I can't believe I'm getting hyped about a video game announcement at the age of nearly 40 in the year of our Emperor two thousand and twenty-two, but here I loving am :smithicide:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I can't believe I'm getting hyped about a video game announcement at the age of nearly 40 in the year of our Emperor two thousand and twenty-two, but here I loving am :smithicide:

Nothing wrong with it; doesn’t that sense of anticipation make you feel young again? It’s one of life’s joys.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Gameplay reveal!

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/yxxbsj/we_hear_thousands_upon_thousands_of_voices/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks good. Is the Screamer new?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I like how a pile of sandbags can stop a lascannon shot dead. It must be special super-tough Future Sand!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Taking cover behind sandbags against twin-linked Lascannons?
The dude should have melted three times over, instead of 4 times over.

Pre-order cancelled.
edit: lol, too late.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They better let us romance the Navigatrix is all I'm saying :unsmigghh:

EDIT: I admit, I'm wondering how powerful they made psychic powers though- on one hand having a space wizard is always handy (and they did showcase it in the trailer), but on the other gently caress relying on an unsanctioned psyker :commissar:

Anno posted:

Looks good. Is the Screamer new?

I don't think so- it might have been statted out in one of the RT bestiaries, but it's been a while since I cracked them open. I know they were statted out in Black Crusade though.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 17, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm really interested in the turning to Chaos stuff since it seems to feature so prominently in the advertising but theyve been pretty mum about it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CommissarMega posted:

They better let us romance the Navigatrix is all I'm saying :unsmigghh:

I don't think so- it might have been statted out in one of the RT bestiaries, but it's been a while since I cracked them open. I know they were statted out in Black Crusade though.

Owlgames got your back:

quote:

Cassia Statue (8in/20cm)
A unique 8-inch collectible figure of Cassia Orsellio, Navigator and loyal companion of the Rogue Trader.
Although Cassia looks young and delicate, her extraordinary powers strengthen the party immensely.
She may also become more than just a companion.

:wink:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YESSSSS

I can hear the anguished screams of the Paternova from here :twisted:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CommissarMega posted:

Err sorry, I meant had we need it before in regards to this game. I assumed it was around in various tabletop forms.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, is it possible to play as a psyker Rogue Trader or is that off-limits in the PnP material?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, is it possible to play as a psyker Rogue Trader or is that off-limits in the PnP material?

There's pretty much a zero chance of that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Issaries posted:

Owlgames got your back:

:wink:

For $200 you should be able to gently caress the statue

I don't know too much about the model/figure industry, but the ones they make in Japan that cost hundreds of dollars are usually literally perfect, like not a single missed spot of paint or unfinished edge, from the best quality material possible.

That may be the case for this limited item, or it's one of those knock-off quality ones with a really dodgy looking face and the paint colors bleed into each other.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

CommissarMega posted:

YESSSSS

I can hear the anguished screams of the Paternova from here :twisted:

Well, there's a precedent for regular human romancing and knocking up a Navigator in the Night Lords trilogy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sylphosaurus posted:

Warden posted:

There's pretty much a zero chance of that.

Yeah, this. Most psykers are taken by the Black Ships to be sanctioned, and most of those who escape sanctioning usually either have powerful patrons to keep them safe from the big =I='s attention, or keep pretty much to themselves. There's certainly no almost practical way that a psyker of any kind would be allowed to take the reins of something as powerful as a Rogue Trader ship, even sanctioned ones- it's hard enough trying to stop a regular mortal who's gone full-on heretic with that kind of power, giving it to someone who hears the whispers of the Warp every time they close their eyes is just throwing money into a bonfire. Even Inquisitors-turned-Rogue Traders would very likely be mortals; after all, considering all the problems I've just listed, not even the Inquisition would be crazy enough to give the Warrant to someone with Inquisitorial experience and psychic powers.

Warden posted:

Well, there's a precedent for regular human romancing and knocking up a Navigator in the Night Lords trilogy.

Oh right, I forgot about that! Man, I should probably feel pretty bad about reducing the Navigator gene pool like that, but Rogue Traders probably pay people to feel bad for them, so it's okay!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I'm really interested in the turning to Chaos stuff since it seems to feature so prominently in the advertising but theyve been pretty mum about it.

It's not terribly surprising they're keeping somewhat mum about that. As opposed to a bit of minor heresy like getting somewhat friendly with xenos or finding and using unsanctioned technology (or psykers), actually turning to Chaos is a whole different kettle of fish and likely to have far, FAR more severe story consequences.

Like, to go to an Inquisition or Mechanicus example, you can certainly find examples of both who'd generally be fine with what you're doing in the case of xenos partnerships or sanctioned technology. But even the most radical of Radical Ordo Malleus is either going to shoot a loving Chaos corrupted Rogue Trader in the face or else put extremely tight safeguards in place (like implanted bombs or whatever) and force you into their employ.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

In the RPG there's a way to get minor psychic powers by getting corrupted and becoming mutated. It's about 1/20 change and you're more likely to be horribly disfigured.
Or you could start worshipping dark gods for a change to get some powers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad romance is going to be a thing because it shows the game isn't going to be 100% grimdark bullshit

wonder which of them is going to be the runaway fan favorite like Wenduag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The thing about Chaos corruption is when you go deep into it, it's everywhere, and literally tears open holes in reality around you at it's worst.

A RT who dives into chaos has 1 of 4 options, and very few of them lend themselves to trying to mask your Chaos worship. If you meet with a planetary governor there could be 4 outcomes.

- Khorne: kill everyone in the room, make a display of their bodies
- Slaneesh: have sex with or kill everyone in the room, in no specific order
- Tzeenthch: weird cosmic horror body manipulation stuff
- Nurgle: Papa loves all, just give everyone some special gifts

I guess they could go for some basic Chaos Cult stuff where you aren't aligned to a specific god, and keep it on the downlow for a while before going full heresy. That doesn't really seem like Owlcat's MO though.