Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Prettz :eightbux: posted:

No, you just have no idea. You're not gonna win this because you're just guessing and flailing. I follow this stuff just about every day since 2012. On SA probably only illectro knows more about SpaceX than me, but he doesn't post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Prettz posted:

What does elon have to do with spacex? No, really?

Elon founded SpaceX and invented rocket ships

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kazil posted:

Elon founded SpaceX and invented rocket ships
But thankfully he's not involved with the company much at all anymore. You can support humans flying into space and laugh at what a loving idiot musk is at the same time!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I don't know how much the rest of you know about SpaceX culture (I'm an expert), but explosions and more explosions are huge parts of it.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Anyway back on the twitter train

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1593346140245835784

I think this is broadly accurate but anyone who gets begged to stay has ALL of the leverage here and Musk’s current deal is pretty lovely. Even big compensation packages won’t make up for the toxic idiocy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i will pour every ounce of mental illness i've nurtured and grown over the last decade into fighting you on this

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Concentrated nerd dna that pure will lead to children getting toxoplasmosis off the first dustmite that lands on them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

So has Elon already fired the staff not willing to be hardcore or are they still around so he can pretend he was just kidding?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

The perfect response.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Anyway back on the twitter train

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1593346140245835784

I think this is broadly accurate but anyone who gets begged to stay has ALL of the leverage here and Musk’s current deal is pretty lovely. Even big compensation packages won’t make up for the toxic idiocy.

They won’t leave and the fact you think is a pretty big L for you. As sort of an expert of twitter I actually kind of poty you really

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Decon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlumThickett/status/1593151723841130497

This mentality among the musk fans is legit hosed up.

Imagine thinking that wanting a life outside work means you have no pride in your work. What an absolutely pathetic way to view life. Like, sorry you're a friendless loser that's one bad performance review away from killing yourself, but some of us have friends and hobbies.

I'm proud of being a competent dev that can track down a weird bug relatively quickly, but I ain't staying on late on a Friday instead of going to my friend's place for beers and board games.

Shits absolutely pathetic.
I know this was a bunch of a pages back, but I've noticed the common theme between pro- and anti-Musk posters is that they both enjoy victim blaming. "Well, the writing was on the wall. Anyone willing to see what happened after Musk took over should have seen this coming. Not my fault they didn't quit and get something else" versus "These idiots think they're entitled to jobs and treatment? LMAO, what kind of commie paradise are we living in? Employment-at-will states exist, libs. If they don't like Elon then they should loving leave."

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

sound on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ambXDKFZhN8

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Prettz posted:

No, you just have no idea. You're not gonna win this because you're just guessing and flailing. I follow this stuff just about every day since 2012. On SA probably only illectro knows more about SpaceX than me, but he doesn't post.

No, you just don't know enough to know where the article hosed up.

lol

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Welcome to bird company! You may be fired at any moment for attempting to educate our all-knowing overlord on any policy or functionality of our business. You will be required to allow management to walk on your back and take all credit for any and all improvements you may be personally responsible for. This highly competitive stance is what makes us the #1 company you want to work for.

Like at this point he must just be trying to kill it out of spite, but he can't appear to be doing it for some legal reasons.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

These were all intentional and besides it doesn’t matter

We must get into space and nothing else matters, humanity must spread like a plague over the stars

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PITY BONER posted:

I know this was a bunch of a pages back, but I've noticed the common theme between pro- and anti-Musk posters is that they both enjoy victim blaming. "Well, the writing was on the wall. Anyone willing to see what happened after Musk took over should have seen this coming. Not my fault they didn't quit and get something else" versus "These idiots think they're entitled to jobs and treatment? LMAO, what kind of commie paradise are we living in? Employment-at-will states exist, libs. If they don't like Elon then they should loving leave."

who's saying they should quit? getting fired gives severance

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Getting pottied rn

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

It's clear the SpaceX program played an important role in refining and perfecting Tesla's self-combustion technology.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

rotinaj posted:

Oh, this was all because you’re a spacex/elon cultist. I get it now.

Hey, you're talking to THE spaceX salutatorian of the forums, show some goddamned respect

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Hey, you're talking to THE spaceX salutatorian of the forums, show some goddamned respect
Literally. Needs to be a hell of a lot more respect.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Prettz posted:

You're getting as much respect as deserved, I promise you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Prettz posted:

you're gonna need more cry laugh emojis to roll with all these punches

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Prettz posted:

That pissant probably doesn't even realize that you made your OWN SpaceX uniform/kimono out of duct tape

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

War Wizard posted:

Welcome to bird company! You may be fired at any moment for attempting to educate our all-knowing overlord on any policy or functionality of our business. You will be required to allow management to walk on your back and take all credit for any and all improvements you may be personally responsible for. This highly competitive stance is what makes us the #1 company you want to work for.

Like at this point he must just be trying to kill it out of spite, but he can't appear to be doing it for some legal reasons.

or or OR

he really is just that stupid and bad a manager

like there's plenty of accounts of his management of Tesla and SpaceX and he's not any better at those, but those places have high-level executives who are highly trained in distracting and redirecting Elon when he gets in one of his moods. Twitter is just showing us how he works without a handler to sweep his manic episodes under the rug.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

PITY BONER posted:

Yeah that's a fair observation, and I have no intention for what I said to be taken as blaming the Twitter devs that do stay and get abused. My ill will is entirely towards the jackasses perpetuating this novel idea that working yourself to a literal lonely death is some noble effort.

I feel bad for the devs that agreed to Musk's "hardcore" declaration because at least a few of them are probably fairly new, and at least a few of them probably genuinely think they can make it and aren't some "smarter and tougher than you" jackasses.

But assholes on the sidelines saying "actually you should be thankful to work 80+ hour weeks with no PTO"? They can get absolutely hosed.

Edit: also... employees on H1B visas probably felt compelled to click yes on Elon's "extreme" proposal" :smith:

Decon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 17, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/sarahfrier/status/1593352873991094273?t=XYMzEq854Om6BX7Al3HDgw&s=19

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's a really poo poo negotiator.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Prettz posted:

dude it doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong about the actual topic of conversation, you can't make self-important sounding posts like this and not immediately become the target for everyone in the thread to dunk on. how do you not know this after being here 20 years

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

or or OR

like there's plenty of accounts of his management of Tesla and SpaceX and he's not any better at those, but those places have high-level executives who are highly trained in distracting and redirecting Elon when he gets in one of his moods. Twitter is just showing us how he works without a handler to sweep his manic episodes under the rug.

It's not often I feel a pang of sympathy for upper-management... but having to be a meatshield between your engineers and special genus manbaby Elon Musk sounds like actual torture.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Hammerite posted:

dude it doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong about the actual topic of conversation, you can't make self-important sounding posts like this and not immediately become the target for everyone in the thread to dunk on. how do you not know this after being here 20 years
It was actually an indictment of SA, not really about me, but I'm bad with words. It's easy as gently caress to learn about this stuff, but some people just aren't able to

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Prettz posted:

Most people would assume this is a tongue in cheek reply that you don't really mean but they're all wrong aren't they?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

quote:

“All that is required for approval is that your manager takes responsibility for ensuring that you are making an excellent contribution,” he wrote, adding that staffers should have in-person meetings with their colleagues not less than once per month.

I mean that is technically a softer edict on remote work, but at this point a lot of the workplace is prioritizing that do they can live anywhere. Monthly meetings and forcing managers to “take responsibility” isn’t a solution. Especially when reportedly most managers have over 20 direct reports.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prettz posted:

It was actually an indictment of SA, not really about me, but I'm bad with words. It's easy as gently caress to learn about this stuff, but some people just aren't able to

Uh

I had actually been asking why you were dismissing the other events in that article, and was hoping for you to elaborate and tell us why you felt that way

But then you started behaving like a prick and tried to somehow appeal to your authority as an obsessive space fan

You are aware that the only thing people know for sure on SA is that your username is prettz, and we do not know if you are actually neil degrasse tyson

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Prettz posted:

As fascinating as the topic is, please unhook your ego from the Huffenmaster 9000, the quick connect fittings really are not that hard to operate. Even if you are passionate, is palpably awkward, tangible even, to start doubling down on anything on internet forums.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol it isn’t an anything to do with SA, if you act that way in real life people will mock you even if it’s behind your back. Which I assume happens a lot to you

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

or or OR

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnottoph/status/1593289602185543682

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I mean that is technically a softer edict on remote work, but at this point a lot of the workplace is prioritizing that do they can live anywhere. Monthly meetings and forcing managers to “take responsibility” isn’t a solution. Especially when reportedly most managers have over 20 direct reports.

The follow-up on the change in remote work posture makes this sound like a mirage - Elon is just pushing the responsibility for nebulous epic-awesomeness-lol productivity onto the remote worker's manager. If Elon disagrees that they are meeting expectations, the manager is at risk of being fired. So in-effect this just makes the "no remote" edict come from the managers instead of from Elon.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol it isn’t an anything to do with SA, if you act that way in real life people will mock you even if it’s behind your back. Which I assume happens a lot to you
Oh well

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
*raising my hand until I get the teachers attention*

"ACTUALLY, I know more about Pokemon than anyone else in the room. Bulbasaur is exclusively used by people who have a weak electricity game. Here, I made a PowerPoint that explains it all"

*Tears streaming down my face as everybody, including the teacher, gives me a massive wedgie*

"You're all just immature and don't even understand the meta game at play, if you were adults you'd listen to me!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
With so many disgruntled developers leaving or getting fired, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of software time bomb. If people still do that sort of thing