Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

6 inches of rain is like 2 months worth for buffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
4 feet of snow is to Western NY what a tropical storm is to Florida.

Probably don't want to be outside in it, but other than that, things will return to normal surprisingly fast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People like water when it's inside their bodies but dump a bunch on the outside and suddenly it's a problem

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Buffal-update: my left windshield wiper's blade has started to come off and do that limp noodle thing where it just flops around on your windshield. pray for me this weekend.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

NeonPunk posted:

Dump 6 inches of liquid water on a city and you'll be mocked endlessly if you worry about a little bit rain.

While just one inch of frozen completely paralyzes the entire city, everyone all freaks out unless the ice on the roads is taken care of

Six inches of liquid water, on average, would be about 60-80" of snow.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

Frozen water fucks poo poo up dramatically less than liquid water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXMtDlX0Ko

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ice storms are the worst poo poo

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

they make the trees look so cool and shiny like a winter wonderland :kiddo: everything's so sparkly!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oglethorpe posted:

they make the trees look so cool and shiny like a winter wonderland :kiddo: everything's so sparkly!

and too heavy to live

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ice to see you

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Real hurthling! posted:

and too heavy to live

same

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cholesterol is just a slow motion ice storm for your arteries

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, I may have been too hasty in my defense of frozen water, because I was mostly thinking about snow.

Western NY will shrug off 4 feet of snow quickly, but what actually hosed the area up badly was an October ice/snow storm in 2006. The perfect combination of rain/snow with falling temps that ended up with a thick coating of ice on everything and then snow sticking on top of that. Ended up destroying entire neighborhoods worth of trees, knocking out power for days/a week for a large portion of the population, and the attendant deaths and injuries.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

to live in buffalo is to know pain

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
live-in buffalo???

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
buffalo isn't even the worst major city on lake Erie. stop stealing Cleveland's valor.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Cloks posted:

buffalo isn't even the worst major city on lake Erie. stop stealing Cleveland's valor.

at least we’re not Detroit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i knew a guy from buffalo once

he'd say, "it starts with a B, ends with an O, and in the middle it's AWFUL —— buffalo!" (pronounced exaggerated bawfullo)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Did the northeast get a normal fall, or are the trees still covered in leaves?

(Pacific Northwest heading for another record-breaking dry spell).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I like it here

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Grew up in Buffalo, now live in Cleveland.

Its me. I'm the idiot.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

this is loving bullshit

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

this is loving bullshit

Don't they read this thread? That's normal for buffalo and not a big deal.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
the lake effect snow is much worse south of buffalo proper, where the stadium is. i'll be fine in north buffalo. i definitely won't regret having like 1.5 days of food in the house

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

naw man that's what they get paid for, play in the damned snow football mans

if the pandemic doesn't stop them playing then they shouldn't be allowed to let snow stop them

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

go for a stroll posted:

the lake effect snow is much worse south of buffalo proper, where the stadium is. i'll be fine in north buffalo. i definitely won't regret having like 1.5 days of food in the house

You fool you've cursed us all!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Failson posted:

Did the northeast get a normal fall, or are the trees still covered in leaves?

(Pacific Northwest heading for another record-breaking dry spell).

nyc peaks later than most areas but we have lots of bare trees and still some leafy species left. had just the one week of hot weather otherwise its been cool at night. day length might be a bigger factor than temp for some species idk.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

good news…we’re going to build a LNG liquefaction and export terminal at the mouth of the calcasieu river for anyone who remembers the two cat4 hurricanes in 2020 that went straight up it

https://www.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2022/11/ferc-acts-against-climate-and-southwest-louisiana-communities-rubber

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i am harry posted:

good news…we’re going to build a LNG liquefaction and export terminal at the mouth of the calcasieu river for anyone who remembers the two cat4 hurricanes in 2020 that went straight up it

https://www.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2022/11/ferc-acts-against-climate-and-southwest-louisiana-communities-rubber

oh, is this the terminal to sell more LNG to europe after we blew up that pipeline?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

go for a stroll posted:

i'll be fine in north buffalo. i definitely won't regret having like 1.5 days of food in the house

feeling very called out rn

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Luneshot posted:

at least we’re not Detroit

Detroits not on Lake Erie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There has to be foreigners who see a headline that Buffalo New York is going to get four feet of snow and they think they're talking about NYC. Because they don't know New York is larger than most European countries

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Bip Roberts posted:

Detroits not on Lake Erie

come on now. it's close enough

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wildfires, droughts, hurricanes, SirPablo doesn't give a poo poo.

But ONE snowstorm hits the Midwest and suddenly the world's ending.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There has to be foreigners who see a headline that Buffalo New York is going to get four feet of snow and they think they're talking about NYC. Because they don't know New York is larger than most European countries

their name is CODChimera

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Caulimovirus/status/1371102713505796096

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Wildfires, droughts, hurricanes, SirPablo doesn't give a poo poo.

But ONE snowstorm hits the Midwest and suddenly the world's ending.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't respect Buffalo, I'm not gonna bother to learn where it is.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Technically it’s American Bison, NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Technically it’s American Bison, NY