Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Heath posted:

Facebook is still around. They can still text. It is insanely, bafflingly hosed up to look at people being so hyperdependent on a microblogging app that its absence will bring their lives and the lives of their families crashing down and kvetching about it. It should never have gotten that far to begin with. This stupid website collapsing will frankly be a godsend for the mental health of a lot of people

fwiw, facebook is way different than the purpose twitter occupies. It shares significantly less personal details, and on top of that Twitter has been a godsend for social movements / conferences / organisations rallying around a hashtag. The big issue with Mastodon and all other substitutes is that *anyone and everyone* has been on Twitter. You had Trump for awhile, but you also have like, anyone. Only invested people are going to make a Mastodon. Same issue with personal blogs.

On top of that, christ help us with all the embed links that are going to die with this. It will be like when Yahoo Answers died, but with so many articles, and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
ok what happened tonight? I don't look at twitter for a few hours, i glance at it again and suddenly everyone's running around with their heads cut off doomsaying 10x as much as they usually are but the site seems to be working fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

resident posted:

Lol I heard a very credible insider story that Elon got an explicit in person warning from Twitter Blue lead engineers that rolling out the blue check mark hastily could be abused in a variety of ways. Elon decided to fire at least one of the tech leads and the rest is history.

There was the leaked seven page document a few days ago from that team telling Elon that selling blue checks was a very bad idea and here's all the horrible things that will happen, which are the things that happened because everyone whose name is something other than the smelly poo poo from an animal's rear end knew what would happen.

Entropic posted:

ok what happened tonight? I don't look at twitter for a few hours, i glance at it again and suddenly everyone's running around with their heads cut off doomsaying 10x as much as they usually are but the site seems to be working fine.

Turns out telling people that they have to suck your cock or get fired results in a lot of people getting fired and Twitter has gone from 6000 employees to 3000 employees to 300 employees.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Entropic posted:

https://twitter.com/HaysKali/status/1593425305464541186?s=20&t=c-JdM6Yo_HF5RRoPX6jcWQ

Is just one of thing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Entropic posted:

Various reports say less than 300 employees agreed to join Hardcore Twitter 2.0, so everyone else is fired.

Among them may be the whole payroll team and several entire critical engineering teams.

And they locked up the building until Monday and disabled everyone’s badges.

And the World Cup is coming up in a couple of days, which strains Twitter when it’s 100% operational.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Entropic posted:

elon went deathcon 3 on the remaining employees

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CatstropheWaitress posted:

fwiw, facebook is way different than the purpose twitter occupies. It shares significantly less personal details, and on top of that Twitter has been a godsend for social movements / conferences / organisations rallying around a hashtag. The big issue with Mastodon and all other substitutes is that *anyone and everyone* has been on Twitter. You had Trump for awhile, but you also have like, anyone. Only invested people are going to make a Mastodon. Same issue with personal blogs.

On top of that, christ help us with all the embed links that are going to die with this. It will be like when Yahoo Answers died, but with so many articles, and such.

Frankly, if this really is the case, it is a loving fantastic object lesson in the fundamental problems with the way the internet has become structured and if this really does cause a major collapse of internet social infrastructure then I sincerely hope something better comes up in its wake. I am finding it sincerely hard to mourn for this ugly behemoth. The internet has been genuinely the worse for its presence. The fact is that all of this artifice was built on something so paper thin that a bumbling dipshit with enough money could roll in and kill it in a matter of weeks. The tree was rotten the whole time

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

JC, the net's going... the net's going black! JC! No more infolinks, transmissions of any kind. We'll start again...live in villages...if you receive this... if you survive... then find us! Find us!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So... where are we going to get our news after Twitter dies?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Entropic posted:

The people who PAY the people who watch the servers have quit. The people who build and maintain the servers have quit. The office is closed.

Once there’s a failure we’re going to see a failure cascade and it won’t stop. An no one will be left who knows how to fix it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Come on, that's just payroll. It's not like they do anything to make the actual website run.

lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DaveWoo posted:

newsgroups

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

DaveWoo posted:

CSPAM

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DaveWoo posted:

Journalist might have to actually talk to people and not just summarize tweets.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
The inevitable hbo documentary on the fall of Twitter is gonna be loving insane

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

davecrazy posted:

Anybody who didn't delete their account the Friday he took control gets what's coming to them.

you say that without knowing what Elon has in store for them. Tesla drivers with the Twitter app integration enabled will get a surprise cable from the car battery clamped to their nuts, along with the option to donate to help keep Twitter's servers running.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

DaveWoo posted:

Whatever fixes all of the websites that are about to break when twitter servers die

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sports news reporting is so tangled up in twitter it's going to be amazing to see everyone go back to having to watch ESPN for breaking news

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GBS will become an RSS feed of news stories again!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

davecrazy posted:

Anybody who didn't delete their account the Friday he took control gets what's coming to them.

I deleted my account, nobody will know the 4 people I followed

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enigma89 posted:

I want this to be true but have done zero validation. DO we have a sense of how real this is?

It's not even new news, tbh.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

sharknado slashfic posted:

Sports news reporting is so tangled up in twitter it's going to be amazing to see everyone go back to having to watch ESPN for breaking news

Didn't even think of this. gently caress off Adam shefter you parasite

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CuddleCryptid posted:

JC, the net's going... the net's going black! JC! No more infolinks, transmissions of any kind. We'll start again...live in villages...if you receive this... if you survive... then find us! Find us!

My posting is augmented.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
ok feel free to mock me if i'm immediately proven wrong, but I'm putting my chips on "twitter is dead for sure now" being the new "I'd Like to See Ol Donny Trump Wriggle His Way Out of THIS Jam!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NUCLEAR RESIGNATION LAUNCH DETECTED

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Keep posting Goatse on Twitter till it dies

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

sharknado slashfic posted:

That sucks!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I, for one, am getting my Usenet client reinstalled

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
he's going to force people to sue him to cough up that severance he promised yesterday at this rate

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Heath posted:

Frankly, if this really is the case, it is a loving fantastic object lesson in the fundamental problems with the way the internet has become structured and if this really does cause a major collapse of internet social infrastructure then I sincerely hope something better comes up in its wake.
Yeah really the current internet is not really designed not to suck, it's just barely tolerable enough for tech companies to make tons of cash off of huge userbases. It doesn't always have to be like this

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593447646470889473

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Castor Poe posted:

The inevitable hbo documentary on the fall of Twitter is gonna be loving insane

It's seriously gonna be minute by minute and second by second in some places.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
In the date of collapse predication earlier in the thread I predicted late 2024.

:lmao: This is what I get for underestimating Elon

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How will I share my greatest Splatoon 3 plays?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

...and he'll have learned nothing from this whole experience except that his victim complex is even larger than before.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait wait wait hold the hell up

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Paywalled article (you can read the bit about the ultimatum) but the screenshot says it all I think

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1593336561243922433

DMs were not encrypted??

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nowher posted:

In the date of collapse predication earlier in the thread I predicted late 2024.

:lmao: This is what I get for underestimating Elon

I don't think any of us really expected Elon to tank the company this quickly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wildtortilla posted:

How will I share my greatest Splatoon 3 plays?

you'll have to call your local radio station and describe them on air

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Heath posted:

Facebook is still around. They can still text. It is insanely, bafflingly hosed up to look at people being so hyperdependent on a microblogging app that its absence will bring their lives and the lives of their families crashing down and kvetching about it. It should never have gotten that far to begin with. This stupid website collapsing will frankly be a godsend for the mental health of a lot of people

The problem was that twitter managed to fill a niche where organizations could use it to send news out to other organizations and entities using twitter, and retweets and likes spread that stuff even further.

Its basically a communications shortcut that allows news to propagate rapidly. Twitter made this stuff real easy with embedded tweets and other stuff that made journalists a big part of its ecosystem.