Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is really cute seeing folks using all the old tech Twitter made, and never disabled, that never caught on.

https://twitter.com/YACHT/status/1593469230334156800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
There might be 75% that are "fired" as in they didn't sign the pledge. There is nothing official from HR that they're fired nor is their access removed. They just called the bluff. How many of them will actually be fired for real is unknown. How many will just keep working if there is no follow-up peep from HR or Elon is unknown.

You can follow the discussions from Twitter folks on Blind. There are definitely lots that have decided to walk off regardless of what happens next, however, I don't think it's 75% right now. Most are waiting to see whether or not their refusing to sign the pledge will actually mean anything.

H1Bs are freaking out because they're either staying and doing 5x the work, they're already fired and don't know, or they'll be fired when Twitter shuts down. Right now is not a good time for them to find a job within 30 day time limit due to all the other layoffs happening.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 18, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

lmao if twitter dying is what saves facebook
Zuckerberg gets the news that Twitter has been destroyed. "Nice job team"

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

Get that dog to the beach!

Libra posted:

I hope the dog has a fun time at the beach

She doesn't like the breakers, even those small ones. So she just splashes in the still water.

Withnail posted:

Sorry for the derail. What was the lump? My dog has a similar thing. They said it's not cancer.

Had a biopsy done it was soft tissue sarcoma/cancer. All cut out now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Unperson_47 posted:

I've kinda stopped keeping up with this thread for the past few days/week. Why exactly has the sentiment tipped so much to "Twitter's dying" today? My only exposure to Twitter is embeds on these dead forums.

Recent news, both official and otherwise, strongly suggest that less than 300 (being generous, 500) people are working in Twitter arising from musk 's latest pr stunt, and a great deal of people in their key infrastructure teams have left the company. In the eve of the upcoming world cup in Qatar, where instant news is required at all times (and coupled with the controversial nature of fifa itself plus the venue of Qatar), it is anticipated that Twitter will need to handle a wide load of traffic that recent shenanigans would be considered peanuts to. There is speculation that this will cause Twitter servers to completely shut down during the world cup event due to the lack of infrastructure, warm bodies and the current chaotic nature of management where the owner appears to prefer clout among random people rather than stability. Advertising agencies have also pulled out from Twitter arising from the uncertainty which would put financial strains in maintaining the servers.

While it's unlikely Twitter will die, it will probably get a massive hit that may render it a shadow of the global trend maker as it has been for the past decade. Facebook took several years to go through its decline, whereas Twitter apparently only needed a month

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Unperson_47 posted:

I've kinda stopped keeping up with this thread for the past few days/week. Why exactly has the sentiment tipped so much to "Twitter's dying" today? My only exposure to Twitter is embeds on these dead forums.

Well, for starters....

• Through mass-firings, resignations and ultimatums, Twitter has lost 90% of it's workforce. Those that remain are either desperate and/or delusional.
  • Completely failed to roll-out "verification" subscription, leading to new purchases being suspended, countless imitation accounts. If you ever wanted to see Lockheed Martin announce that it was no longer selling to the U.S., this is your week
  • Between that and the flood of fascists getting their coveted checkmark, advertisers left and right have been abandoning twitter. This is Twitter's most important revenue stream, and there is no way that subscriptions will make up the difference.
  • Did I mention that thanks to the buyout Twitter has to make $1bn in debt payments annually? Well they do
  • Building has been locked down, so I hope nothing breaks
  • The World Cup starts in 2 days, the last time it put a huge strain on the servers, so if that repeats now...
  • Not to mention the website certifications expire in less than a month, the mass of national and international labor laws that have been broken (yes they are a joke in the States, but Musky is still tripping over them), FTC consent breeches

tl;dr just another day at work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Rad Russian posted:

There might be 75% that are "fired" as in they didn't sign the pledge. There is nothing official from HR that they're fired nor is their access removed. They just called the bluff. How many of them will actually be fired for real is unknown. How many will just keep working if there is no follow-up peep from HR or Elon is unknown.

You can follow the discussions from Twitter folks on Blind. There are definitely lots that have decided to walk off regardless on what happens next, however I don't think it's truly 75%. Most are waiting to see whether or not them refusing to sign the pledge will actually mean anything.

yeah, i think it's likely the pledge threat will be quietly (or silently) walked back, people will be asked to return to work on monday and threatened with firing without severance if they don't, and it'll turn into another lawsuit. if that happens some may stay, but i dunno... if i were in the boat of holding out for a severance package rather than quitting, i'd give up at this point and just quit anyway.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
With nobody left in Payroll, and goodness-knows how many other departments, it's gonna take time and lawsuits for workers to get paid the severance that they are owed. If they get it at all. Bummer for them.
That's a good dog right there. 13/10 would pet.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 18, 2022

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Goddamn what a ride. I would never in my life have guessed Twitter got burned down so quickly and thoroughly.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

sweet thursday posted:

Maybe Twitter isn't worth twice the valuation of the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers combined after all.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is this what Elon does in Tesla and SpaceX? Browbeat a bunch of talented, driven people into working more than they should by leveraging their passion, and Twitter is the first time it did not work?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, i think it's likely the pledge threat will be quietly (or silently) walked back, people will be asked to return to work on monday and threatened with firing without severance if they don't, and it'll turn into another lawsuit. if that happens some may stay, but i dunno... if i were in the boat of holding out for a severance package rather than quitting, i'd give up at this point and just quit anyway.
This might be like a run on a bank. Even if you'd rather stay, will there even be a place to stay at if everybody else leaves? Will you even bank three months pay by staying?

I think anybody with an out is going to take it, and tons of people without an escape plan are going to leave for at least the promise of a package

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Man when my coworker goes on vacation I have to cover support for all his mission critical systems and mine and that alone drives me crazy. I also like to turn off all the micro services who fuckin needs em.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I go and play something else for a few hours and the slope has gotten steeper.

This moment, right now, will be a tale you'll delight in telling your grandchildren. Not "We went over the top and charged the Huns!" Not "We invaded France to stop the Nazis!" Not "Anything else up 'till now!"

But the moment that Leon Skum stole Twitter!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

While it's unlikely Twitter will die,
I wouldn't bet on that. Even if it were humming along as normal, there's not really a plausible way to squeeze $1b/year of extra loan servicing out of it. In shambles, that's definitely not going to happen and I doubt any investor is going to throw good money after bad and offer better terms, even if Elon were willing to sell equity for it. Some form of bankruptcy seems inevitable

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lol of course all of payroll resigned. Can you imagine having to arrange like 3000 severance packages in 2 days under these conditions? gently caress that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1593435398478344192

925 employees left out of 3000 that went into work today lol.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

lmao if twitter dying is what saves truth social

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:rubby:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

While it's unlikely Twitter will die

I thought this at first, but the key people who kept Twitter running are no longer there and the remaining employees are unable to be paid now because all of HR and payroll quit.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this what Elon does in Tesla and SpaceX? Browbeat a bunch of talented, driven people into working more than they should by leveraging their passion, and Twitter is the first time it did not work?

From tech industry gossip, he doesn't actually spend all day loving those up as he simply doesn't have the time. He has 5 companies. With Tesla he hyper focuses on one specific project he likes and fucks that up with constant changes and re-dos. For the last few years, that's been the Cybertruck. He doesn't care about other boring production poo poo that now runs at a big scale because it's too complicated for him. He lets that part of the company operate on its own. His only leadership direction there is to do union busting, maintain long hours for employees, and make sure work from home is not allowed.

With SpaceX he's completely out of his league to direct how rockets should be built so can't gently caress up any projects there. He comes in for various important launches and is pretty much just a mascot for them. His only direction is to institute pretty brutal work hours and ensure no one works from home for any reason ever.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

I said come in! posted:

I thought this at first, but the key people who kept Twitter running are no longer there and the remaining employees are unable to be paid now because all of HR and payroll quit.

yeah it's gonna crater by the world cup

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
just lol if twitter isn't back to existing as a ruby on rails app scaling across 7 whole servers by the weekend.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Jelly posted:

Cool, so then probate every goon pre-celebrating with absolutely zero confirmation once it's discovered Twitter is still up tomorrow... and the next day... and the next day... ?

Ban hope, imo

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Jelly posted:

Cool, so then probate every goon pre-celebrating with absolutely zero confirmation once it's discovered Twitter is still up tomorrow... and the next day... and the next day... ?

we must trim the fat

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is payroll something that you could get contractor companies to handle on a short term basis?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just fill a bucket with cash and ask each employee to take their normal biweekly paycheck amount on the honor system

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

I'm starting to believe that Elon Musk is an astonishingly huge dipshit. That's probably just me though!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I tweeted at Elon and called him a silly bitch and proceeded to get banned and then I uninstalled the app so that's my Twitter story

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Analog posted:

I'm starting to believe that Elon Musk is an astonishingly huge dipshit. That's probably just me though!

you might be on to something, let's stay on that trail

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Deki posted:

Is payroll something that you could get contractor companies to handle on a short term basis?

Probably, if someone was on hand to hand over all the financial and HR details you'd need to do it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deki posted:

Yes. And long-term. Accounting firms exist.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sure everyone's criticizing Elon Musk, but he turned Twitter into a billion dollar company in under three weeks.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
55 years too early --

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Deki posted:

Inadvisable, but I believe so. There's a risk they may just pay themselves a nice big sum and disappear before lunch

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Well, for starters....

tl;dr just another day at work.

These are all reasons why it might not see out the month, but are they reasons why it won’t see out the next 24 hours?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Sure hope people keep quoting me a week from now when Twitter is still working just fine.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

Twitter employees leaking info to news outlets, for one: https://www.reuters.com/technology/after-elon-musks-ultimatum-twitter-employees-start-exiting-2022-11-18/

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Elon musk? More like Peed-on Husk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Some of the cs subreddits are full of people earnestly going "this is an interesting strategy by Elon. He had to cut the fat to make Twitter profitable, so let's see how it goes."

Firing your core employees or forcing them all to resign is a bold move, Cotton! Let's see if it pays off.