Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

im going to find jihadi john and give this guy to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

GURPS setting the score on the OUN and knowing what's what is why it's the best rpg

they occasionally hire freelancers that bother to read sources when writing historical splatbooks, shame the actual system is hot garbage.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Seatbelts posted:

rural agrarian society, but with GUNS

Yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

shame the actual system is hot garbage.

I disagree

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1593367483427295232

seems pretty grim

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

speng31b posted:

move your game company to canada for the tax breaks, stay for the banderite propaganda

Can't wait for the Soviet Union in CoH3. Marauding across German lines, eating their babies and stealing Aryan DNA with my GeneStealer swarms was my favorite tactic in CoH2.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Yeah. Attacking civilian energy infrastructure during winter is pretty hosed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Far more civilised to just rapidly deconstruct every piece of national infrastructure including all power and water in the opening days then proceed to level anything higher than ankle height.

The key difference between civility and barbarism is the usage of Microsoft PowerPoint.

Wait who are we talking about again?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If only there was some way to stop this, oh well, nothing we can do.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Are you sure cause I would really like for those folks to stop killing each other

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

Are you sure cause I would really like for those folks to stop killing each other

Sounds dangerously close to pro-Russian posting to me, comrade.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The stupidest, and therefore most likely, way that this war could end is Ukraine's economy screeching to a halt compounded by Western aid drying up, retroactively making Putin's mystifying limp-dicked decision making genius.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the joke will be on russia when this inspires a hand-cranked industry specializing in german literature and queationable iron-on patches, bring Ukraine to new economic heights not seen since the USSR

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The real question is if the Russians are going to really "go for it" and actually collapse the grid entirely or let off hoping they will be given better terms.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ardennes posted:

The real question is if the Russians are going to really "go for it" and actually collapse the grid entirely or let off hoping they will be given better terms.

I’m gonna bet it’s the latter, the Russians tend to think ‘maybe now they’ll negotiate’ only for them to be surprised when the other side doesn’t

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ardennes posted:

It seems like their best path to achieving their goals, except for their apparent goal of limiting civilian suffering. Which is an increasingly weird and oxymoronic goal every day the war drags on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

It seems like their best path to achieving their goals, except for their apparent goal of limiting civilian suffering. Which is an increasingly weird and oxymoronic goal every day the war drags on.

"If the bombing continues there will be there will be immense suffering!" Blinken: "lol lmao"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

In masters of Orion 2 I preferred to use orbital weapons to bombard enemy planets into near extinction then ship in my own colonists. By having the absolute minimum of conquered population it decreased the chance of future revolts without having to completely rebuild from scratch.

The quicker alternative was to drop in a lot more troopships than you really needed and build a barracks and alien conversion centre immediately.

replace every organic meatbag with efficient robots imho. You should even genocide your own race, planets without organic workers don't need to deal with pollution :eng101:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I heard a different theory of Russia not going hard on Ukraine's infrastructure. I listen to a military nerd podcast, they said the Kherson retreat was executed smoothly and barely lost any hardware. Also it was not done secretly with all the zoo and raccoon evacuation.

So it was likely the Russia side had an understanding with the US or both the US and Ukraine. Maybe the West was not providing satellite data to Ukraine when the Russians were retreating.

As to what the west got in return for this deal, probably condition of Russians not crashing the Ukraine electrical grid for x weeks/months.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I heard a different theory of Russia not going hard on Ukraine's infrastructure. I listen to a military nerd podcast, they said the Kherson retreat was executed smoothly and barely lost any hardware. Also it was not done secretly with all the zoo and raccoon evacuation.

So it was likely the Russia side had an understanding with the US or both the US and Ukraine. Maybe the West was not providing satellite data to Ukraine when the Russians were retreating.

As to what the west got in return for this deal, probably condition of Russians not crashing the Ukraine electrical grid for x weeks/months.

This has been dragging on for a while though so I doubt it, especially since that would allow the US to decide the timing. There was perhaps some deal that the Russians would peacefully leave in exchange for relatively unfettered transit, but the Russians have restrained themselves from hitting infrastructure from the beginning.

They didn't want to get a mess on their hands, but it turns out war is actually messy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

I hope not. Would be tremendously cruel to get so pissed off about your failed regime change attempts that they conduct deliberate mass punishment of civilians in winter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I hope not. Would be tremendously cruel to get so pissed off about your failed regime change attempts that they conduct deliberate mass punishment of civilians in winter.

I doubt it would be rooted from an emotional outburst.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think the russians were killing tens of thousands of people but sparing the infrastructure for altruistic reasons. They probably thought it would be over quickly and didn't want to have long-term disruptions to fuel sales or have to repair infrastructure in areas they captured. Infrastructure attacks are probably part of digging in for the winter to make the ukrainians spend more resources repairing and hardening substations and pumping stations to the detriment of their fortifications. If the ukrainians were smart they'd just turn the substations, power plants and whatever else into forts

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

I doubt it would be rooted from an emotional outburst.

The thinker’s attacks on civilians in winter then. I hope they don’t come to a real-politic rational decision that they must mass punish civilians, then, as an unemotional Russian response to having failed to achieve their regime change objectives.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The retreat being negotiated is also on the telegram rumor mill, but nobody is really providing evidence to support it. As far as I can tell there's nothing to suggest that Russia is going easy on air strikes besides the day/week long pauses between them.

unrelated

Donrf posted:

So, yesterday UAVs attacked Feodosia and Novorossiysk. Unsuccessful, but it is a trend. The next step will be the one awaited by the defenders of the B-region, where they also rose up wrong. There was no raid yesterday, but in the long run there will be one. It's just a matter of time. It's like shelling.
(from t.me/donrf22/9421, via tgsa)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

I don't think the russians were killing tens of thousands of people but sparing the infrastructure for altruistic reasons. They probably thought it would be over quickly and didn't want to have long-term disruptions to fuel sales or have to repair infrastructure in areas they captured. Infrastructure attacks are probably part of digging in for the winter to make the ukrainians spend more resources repairing and hardening substations and pumping stations to the detriment of their fortifications. If the ukrainians were smart they'd just turn the substations, power plants and whatever else into forts

Eh, I would say the damage being done and could be done is less about distracting the Ukrainians, and more simply destroying the Ukrainian economy and significantly hampering their ability to fight. Ukrainian forces will not disappear but the collapse of the grid and mass evacuations will have a cumulative effect across Ukrainian society; Ukrainian transport needs power and as supply lines get hit, it will have a military effect.

At that point, it would be logical that the Russians would start hitting fuel depots/rail yards from their limited number of diesel locomotives.

This is if they wanted to do so, or they could back off hoping the Americans again will be nice to them.

Supposedly, the Ukrainians have been attempting to sandbag some infrastructure, but that just forces the Russians to use more munitions to take them down.

Lostconfused posted:

The retreat being negotiated is also on the telegram rumor mill, but nobody is really providing evidence to support it. As far as I can tell there's nothing to suggest that Russia is going easy on air strikes besides the day/week long pauses between them.

The strikes are continuing, but they are still dancing around some infrastructure here and there. It is starting to reach the breaking point but I don't think it has yet.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

The thinker’s attacks on civilians in winter then. I hope they don’t come to a real-politic rational decision that they must mass punish civilians, then, as an unemotional Russian response to having failed to achieve their regime change objectives.

Hard to get a government to capitulate - succeed at their regime change objectives - without doing so. It's a policy guided by making the most effective use of Russian blood and treasure. Awful, yes, but it follows the same logic as any strategic bombing campaign. The Ukrainian military uses the same electrical infrastructure, and while they will be the least harmed, it is a way to damage them while safeguarding Russian forces.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It seems obvious to me in the context that this is now a good time to be negotiating and that there is negotiations happening.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. Attacking civilian energy infrastructure during winter is pretty hosed.

Not every army can act with the benevolence of US forces whose dead civilians occurred under happier conditions.

Troops don't get an opinion from the high ground.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Hard to get a government to capitulate - succeed at their regime change objectives - without doing so. It's a policy guided by making the most effective use of Russian blood and treasure. Awful, yes, but it follows the same logic as any strategic bombing campaign. The Ukrainian military uses the same electrical infrastructure, and while they will be the least harmed, it is a way to damage them while safeguarding Russian forces.

The issue with strategic bombing is there has to be a follow up on the ground. You could greatly weaken the Ukrainian economy and cause supply issues/morale to drop, but as long as they are holding trenches then it is just going to continue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

The Ukrainian military uses the same electrical infrastructure, and while they will be the least harmed, it is a way to damage them while safeguarding Russian forces.

Ukrainian military will be least harmed, yes, and Russia lacks the maneuver power and will to capitalize on disruptions, like taking territory while the power is temporarily out. That indicates that the primary motivation for Russian armed forces is punishing civilians and hoping that attacks against Ukrainian civilians compel the Ukrainian government to give.

e: hell, largely beaten on this point by ardennes

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Ukrainian military will be least harmed, yes, and Russia lacks the maneuver power and will to capitalize on disruptions, like taking territory while the power is temporarily out. That indicates that the primary motivation for Russian armed forces is punishing civilians and hoping that attacks against Ukrainian civilians compel the Ukrainian government to give.

You don't get an opinion from the high ground.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

It seems obvious to me in the context that this is now a good time to be negotiating and that there is negotiations happening.

There was an attempt, broke down immediately because the US and Russia don't see anywhere eye to eye, which means the more likely course of action is Ukraine being crushed until someone gets a final edge.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

You don't get an opinion from the high ground.

That’s fine. Anyone can be against mass punishment of civilians.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

That’s fine. Anyone can be against mass punishment of civilians.

Anyone doesnt include the MIC of western powers. Stick to logistics and tactics your moralizing is a loving joke. Anyone with a civilian kill count from work should be loving silent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ardennes posted:

There was an attempt, broke down immediately because the US and Russia don't see anywhere eye to eye, which means the more likely course of action is Ukraine being crushed until someone gets a final edge.

Where do you see evidence or inference that it broke down?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Where do you see evidence or inference that it broke down?

Immediately after they met in Turkey, Russian officials made more bellicose statements and the strikes returned with further intensity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Immediately after they met in Turkey, Russian officials made more bellicose statements and the strikes returned with further intensity.

I missed that news item. Was that last week or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

I missed that news item. Was that last week or?

Yeah, its in the thread, I guess go back 20-30 pages?