Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For getting a lock for my office door after what my husband did?.

well I don't know I'm not an expert on child rearing but if your kids that bored and starved for attention maybe enroll him in an art class or get him his own supplies?

*checks notes* oh yes husband right... sorry about that. have you considered a time machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for introducing my hookup partners to my sister every time they come over?

quote:

I (22M) stay with my sister (26F) while I’m in university.

We have always been close.

I am not interested in a relationship right now and have been hooking up with girls.

I bring a girl home often after I go out drinking. My sister works but she never said anything until recently.

The next morning after a girl left, my sister told me how she was kind of uncomfortable with all these girls “she doesn’t know” coming over. I told her no problem.

The next time when I had a girl come over I knocked on her bedroom door and introduced the girl I was with to her. She didn’t really say anything and we both went back to my room. I did this 2-3 times with different girls.

The next morning after the third, my sister started yelling at me and the girl I was with quietly left.

My sister yelled at me and said I needed to stop and I was embarrassing her in her own house.

Normally I would just dismiss what she was saying as sibling fights but she really seemed angry with me.

So AITA?

so OP's either breathtakingly loving stupid or a complete rear end in a top hat. probably both

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

so OP's either breathtakingly loving stupid or a complete rear end in a top hat. probably both

And yet at the same time an absolute genius :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Foo Diddley posted:

Are you sure you got this from AITA and not from Malicious Compliance? lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maliciously complying your way right out of a place to live

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

Replies: an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, he indicates that he was being a prick about it but also is just really dismissive of everyone. Apparently he and his sister pull "jabs and stunts like this" at each other all the time.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 18, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

Replies: an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, he indicates that he was being a prick about it but also is just really dismissive of everyone. Apparently he and his sister pull "jabs and stunts like this" at each other all the time.

a good "jab and stunt" would be, the next time he introduces a girl, his sister goes "oh, so your tests came back negative then?"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nerdlord Actual posted:

I found this one from 2 years ago:

AITA for locking the door to my home office and refusing to let my daughter and wife visit during the workday?

He's a finance bro, gently caress him. I hope his wife ruins him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Foo Diddley posted:

a good "jab and stunt" would be, the next time he introduces a girl, his sister goes "oh, so your tests came back negative then?"

Or "Oh, you're *Melissa*, I've heard so much about you!". To which the girl goes to the brother "Who's Melissa?" and hilarity ensues.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Biplane posted:

He's a finance bro, gently caress him. I hope his wife ruins him.

:rolleyes:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And yet you use finance.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And yet you use finance.

nooooooooooooooooooo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

we are a lesbian couple. I'm not a controlling womanizer man lol I just think it's gross even if she cleans the sink

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my boyfriend he’s selfish for buying $450 bottle of cologne?

quote:

I (24f) have been dating Jack (29m) for 6 months. We get along great and I love almost everything about him except for his selfishness. In our times together, I’ve never seen him give anything to any cause even though he makes good money.

We’ve been to the grocery stores together many times and when the cashiers ask if he wants to donate, he always said no. One time we got into an argument because the cashier asked if I wanted to donate $1 to a children hospital and he said no. Who doesn’t donate to the children hospital?!? Whenever we are stop at a red light, he never gives anything to the people at the corner asking for money. Never, not once.

Recently a friend of mine got pregnant and her boyfriend bailed. Her parents said she’s old enough to figure things out for herself so they’re not helping her. She’s 25 but they’re still AH for that. Anyway, I threw her a baby shower because I know she’ll need things as a single mother. Jack came and brought literally the cheapest thing on the registry, a bag of diapers. I was disappointed in him as I previously told him it’d be nice if he got her the bugaboo stroller or the clek car seat, you know, something she really needs. We got into an argument about that too.

I was at his house the other day when he got a package in. He opened it and showed me it was a new bottle of cologne and had me smell it. Although it smelled fantastic, I was speechless when I saw the invoice. He paid $450 for a bottle of cologne when all he bought for my friend was a bag of diapers. I saw red and went off on him.

I know I’m the better person and right but my sister is telling me I was being too harsh because he can spend his money anyway he wants to. I said told her he can do better.

AITA?

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014
My [33m] wife [25f] constantly makes a conscious effort to humiliate me during my lessons over Zoom

quote:

While under normal circumstances I would try to communicate my feelings to my wife, I am at my wits' end for how to handle this situation, as I have exhausted all of the typical conflict resolution means.

Being a teacher, I am currently giving lessons over Zoom. I recognize that studying math over Zoom isn't the most exciting thing in the world for students, and I can barely get them to even pretend to be interested in my lessons when we're in the classroom, but they have done an admirable job of staying focused. My wife is making it extremely difficult on my end, though.

Several months ago when my lessons began, I went from working long hours to being at home all day. Unfortunately my wife does not seem to understand that while I am at home, and while I can occasionally help out with a chore or two, I still have actual work to do. Between lesson prep, grading, and meetings, my schedule is quite full.

The first time she interrupted my lesson, she abruptly opened the door to the room where I was teaching and loudly asked me to do the dishes. This was unbelievably awkward as I was in the middle of teaching three dozen tenth graders geometry. I told her we would talk about it later, but not being deterred, she asked if that was a "yes" or a "no." I said it was a "yes," but that I was in the middle of a lesson. Without a word she closed the door. I got some chuckles from the students but a bit of red-cheeked embarrassment was the extent of the damage.

The next time, two days later, she again barged in holding a pair of my pants that I left on the floor of our bedroom. She loudly stated "you need to pick up after yourself." This time, before responding, I muted my mic and turned off my camera telling her that I was in the middle of a lesson. Again, she walked away without a word.

At this point I moved my setup into the basement of our house so I could avoid further interruption. Since my basement looks like it probably has a few dead bodies buried in it, my students have begun to call me "Basement Dad," which is endearing, but I would rather teach in a room where I'm not going to get asbestos in my lungs. The trouble really began when I started locking the door to prevent interruptions.

My wife will begin by rattling the door a few times, followed by pounding on it. Then she'll groan loudly and say something negative about me. After that I can hear her walking around the house slamming doors.

A few weeks ago, she was literally jumping up and down, stomping her feet, in the room above mine. In the first months of these online lessons I set up a hotkey to mute my mic and disable my camera instantly when needed, and luckily my reflexes honed from Counter-Strike in my teens has paid off. But there have been times where she has sneaked in an embarrassing moment for me.

Every time I have patiently explained to her that I need complete quiet to teach my lessons, and she says "yeah yeah yeah OK." Then in the next lesson, without fail, she'll find something new to complain about and throw a tantrum, trying to humiliate me in front of my students. While my mute game is on point, students have recognized something is wrong. One of my 9th graders even sent me an email asking if everything was OK. I had to make up a lame excuse about needing to mute my mic because of a sudden grinding noise that happens in my old basement. There's no way she bought that.

Since I'm unable to go out, unable to even enter the school grounds, and have no place to go to avoid my wife, I'm unbelievably anxious when I teach. I have tried talking to her calmly, and I even tried to get angry at her. When I yelled at her for forcefully sliding plastic files under the door so they'd float down in the background during my lessons, she expected me to apologize for getting angry at her.

How can I even approach this kind of problem?

TL;DR: my wife is acting ridiculous when I'm teaching lessons over Zoom. Most of the rest of the day she's normal, but during lessons she does everything in her power to sabotage me.

Update from a week later

quote:

My first lesson after making that post, my wife went straight back to her old antics. I was in the lesson room as students gradually joined, talking to a student who was interested in luxury cars. At some point during the conversation, I said “yeah I think I’d have to go with the Lamborghini there.” I heard from behind the door in the basement where I was teaching “LaMBorGhiNi” in the sarcastic exaggerated tone of voice that kids will use to mock you. I realized she was being childish again, but figured she’d eventually tire herself out.

A few minutes after the lesson started, I used the word “circumference” to describe a word problem. I then heard “ciRCuMFeREnCe” from behind the door at the top of the stairs, followed by giggling. Since the timing was right, as I was about to have the students take a shot at a problem, I set them to the task, muted my mic/disabled my camera, and quietly crept up the stairs. I suddenly opened the door to find my wife with a cup over her ear pushed against the door so she could hear me.

I whisper-shouted at her for her behavior for about a minute. I asked if she was five years old and what the hell was wrong with her. She feigned fear and shock as if I had held her against the wall with my hands wrapped around her throat, which made me just sigh and go back downstairs to finish my lesson.

For the rest of the lesson she was quiet, but after it I went upstairs to bring up what she did. She started asking if I was going to yell at her again. I responded that I wouldn't, and I tried to get back on topic, but no matter what I said about her behavior, her response was the same. When I brought up her stomping in the room above before, “are you going to yell at me again?” When I brought up her sliding plastic files under the door during a lesson before, “oh, are you going to yell at me again?” When I brought up anything she has done during lessons, the answer was the same, over and over again.

There is absolutely no way to broach the topic with her now. I called her doctor and said that her behavior is erratic, and that she might have PPD. The doctor said that he could ask about it when she came in, but there is not much else he could do. The next day I tried to sit my wife down for a calm discussion about the possibility of her having PPD, to which she responded she had PTSD from my “abusive shouting.” Right. When I suggested therapy, together, she said “oh, to fix your anger management problems? Sounds good.”

I teach in my car in front of a Starbucks now. Outside of lesson time we haven't really had any issues, and now that I'm outside the house teaching, we are strained but stable. I know this is not a very satisfactory outcome, but I think she has deep underlying issues that are going to need professional intervention. When I said I would happily go to therapy with her to find a solution to our communication issues, she told me that I should go alone. I think that may actually be a good step because having a neutral party to listen to my worries and guide me towards better de-escalation tactics would be highly beneficial. I could also try to entice her to join gradually.

TL;DR: my wife has no desire to change. I’m going to start therapy alone and see if I can’t get her to join. Her doctor will bring up the possibility of PPD in her next appointment.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TheMathyFolf posted:

My [33m] wife [25f] constantly makes a conscious effort to humiliate me during my lessons over Zoom

Update from a week later

:murder:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheMathyFolf posted:

Update from a week later

I forgot how GODDAMN INSANE she sounded in the update. Like she's flown straight off the handle, I'd go from PPD to Post-Partum Psychosis, holy poo poo.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

limp_cheese posted:

We happily let him choose where ro spend the holidays! Unless he makes the wrong choice.

hahaha, the false choice is a classic parenting move

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Total Meatlove posted:

I’ll side with recipe dude, having had that thing with a partner of agreeing youd have that carbonara recipe tonight but they subbed out the black pepper for garlic salt and the guincale for some chicken she wanted to use but still insisted it’s a carbonara

🤌🤌

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Aramoro posted:

... the whole no true Scotsman thing is bullshit...

:golfclap:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

TheMathyFolf posted:

Update from a week later

I never noticed the 8 year age gap until now. What are the odds that he started courting his wife around 5 years prior? Because the behavior described sounds like it's coming from a teenager or a fresh 20 year old in her first serious relationship.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

teen witch posted:

Negative Blowjob? Didn’t they open for Big Black in 88?

No you're thinking of Type Blow Negative.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

what are you gonna do when she tracks you down at the Starbucks dude? The enemy has already forced you into a defensive posture. she's determined, and aggressive.

you've got to think two moves ahead or you're not getting out of this alive. outfit the Starbucks with a decoy to draw the enemy's fire. a suitably-posed dummy plus a recording of you teaching a class should do the trick. you need to then monitor that cut out from a secure location so when she shows up you get at least a five minute head start.

fall back to staging area alpha and take the transport Helo to the extraction point. don't bother with return fire because you're not gonna have time. you're also not gonna have time for a landing. so you need to grab those lesson plans, grab a parachute and jump.

as far as equipment, you're gonna have to use what you can find. you should be able to fashion a crude ruler and protractor out of sticks using a hunting knife. A solar rechargeable battery back up may keep your laptop going for a while but theyll weigh you down.

hold on. wait, is that... what's that noise?
"geoMeTrY...."
poo poo I've been compromised!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for not noticing that my dad’s Porsche was stolen out of our garage?

quote:

I’m 20 and taking the semester off of college so staying at my parents house while I kind of decide what to do next.

My dad had a conference in Anaheim and my mom wanted to go so they asked me to stay so I could feed the dogs and just be present in the house. They were gone for 1.5 weeks.

They got home yesterday and my dad started accusing me of driving his 1960s porsche and leaving it at friends house. The car is his baby and he’s the second owner, the first was my grandpa. I’ve driven it once in my life and it made me so nervous I never wanted to drive it again. I promised him I didn’t drive it but the car was gone. We called the police and they came out and discovered that the cameras by the garage had been broken. And with ring footage from the neighbors and the data from our cameras the car had been stolen about a week ago. My dad is despondent because I guess the longer a car theft goes the harder it is to find it. I feel so bad.

He’s so mad at me (my mom is too) because I park my XTerra right next to the Porsche and I did not see that it was gone for the entire week. I should have noticed but I just didn’t. Obviously we know the date it was stolen and I must have pulled in and out and parked next to the empty spot dozens of times and I just didn’t notice.

I think my dad wants to kick me out. Aita?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for sending a picture to a guy friend of something he likes?

quote:

I 21F am in a huge predicament and it might have some serious effects. My boyfriend is very very hurt and upset.

Basically a good friend of mine has a fetish for a certain body part that isn’t really considered sexual by most people (it’s not feet). I’m one of the few people who even knows about this with him.

My friend straight up asked me if I’d send a pic of this part of me to him. His reasoning was it’s not like most people would find it inappropriate. At the time I didn’t see the big deal and he’s ,y friend so I said screw it and sent him the picture.

My bf knows my friend and knows we talk a lot. I was texting him back while laying with my bf and that’s when he saw the pic because I had to scroll up for something.

When he got upset I asked if he found the pic in appropriate. He said technically no but I still helped the guy get off.

He’s not speaking to me currently. I feel awful as I am starting to see his reasoning.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Evil Willow posted:

Its earlobes or something isn't it? Hot and sexy ears and those dangly lobes!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

nta. I don't know poo poo about cars. but 1 thing i do know about a car like a 1960s Porsche is that there's no fob and there's no alarm system. the thieves obviously cottoned onto this and targeted them specifically for when they would be out of town.

another thing I know is that the moment that car walks off you're not getting it back. The cops are not going to pull out all the stops even if you're watching the guys drive off with it. you're going to get the same bored looking cop show up with his dick in his hand no matter when you call it in. it's just paperwork to them. they get nothing out of getting you your property back.

sounds like this dude just basically didn't do poo poo to protect his very vulnerable and very valuable car. depending on condition the thing is worth 75,000 to half a million. is it insured? I mean at the end of the day it's an asset that you can drive off in. some percentage are going to get stolen. dude shouldn't take his grief out on his daughter. he should be glad she didn't get hurt.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Evil Willow posted:

Chill bf i was only helping a friend to cum

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kurieg posted:

AITA for telling my son that he ruined Christmas for me and his stepdad when he decided to spend it with his dad?

quote:

Last year he spend Christmas with me, Nathan and my inlaws and he complained that the experience was "terrible" because he said Nathan and his family had little to no accomodation for his food choices (I'm not defending them but my inlaws are quite traditional when it comes to food and a bit ignorant to what types of foods Mason eats)

OP trying to breeze right over this bit.

Bet the kid is either allergic or vegetarian and in-laws refused to cater to his needs in the slightest leaving the poor kid sitting there hungry watching everyone else eat while being berated for not eating the food in-laws 'spent so much time and effort cooking' and 'being so incredibly childish and ungrateful.'

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Not OP's fault for it being stolen, but how DO you fail to notice something like that going missing? Maybe if it was kept separate in daddy's special car vault, sure, but parking right next to it every day? :psyduck: And there were no other visible signs of a break-in?

Though adding to the dad being dumb, what good were those cameras if they were also taken out without anyone noticing?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 18, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Though adding to the dad being dumb, what good were those cameras if they were also taken out without anyone noticing?

cameras for something like that are more of a deterrent. even assuming the thieves don't wear a mask or sunglasses or something like that the cops are not going to take your video and match it up to the facial recognition database or something. The thieves probably could've left the cameras intact and been fine. that video is always going to be useless. and unfortunately the thieves were not deterred.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That was basically my point. Might as well have been decorative.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

now he's got no choice but to go toe to toe with the Russian car theft ring

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

If they didn't notice the car missing, the probably didn't notice they left the garage door open and maybe all the way to where the keys were stored - the most common way to steal cars.
The thieves probably seen the car, poked their head inside, seen the cameras, knocked them out, looked for keys, found them, took car.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Hopefully dad did have some insurance. I know there is a company that does it cause I process thier payments at my job. Ocassionally you'll get some classic car pics along with the payment or whatever they send in.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

John Murdoch posted:

Not OP's fault for it being stolen, but how DO you fail to notice something like that going missing?

I think I could, unfortunately. Some of us are just oblivious :sadwave:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ashye posted:

Its earlobes or something isn't it? Hot and sexy ears and those dangly lobes!

Well she failed because she didn't charge him even a scrap of latinum for the pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay I had to go and look it up. It's the navel.

So the question about this guy's fetish... innie or outie?