Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ilmucche posted:

I think that's probably the guidance from on high. Grit your teeth and let them do as they want then deal with whoever's left at the end. I suspect a lot of individuals aren't going to get the message though and a lot of people are going to end up in the sober zone

Maybe, but I guess we'll see. If we see any of that, I would guess it'll just be in the first few days, unless there's any agro from fans, which seems unlikely with the low numbers travelling. Everyone being in such close proximity is the biggest issue on that.

It won't be as bad as some people are predicting for fans during the tournament and then we'll get some really grim long reads in a few months on what happened afterwards, but most people will have moved on by then, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Have there been any estimates or reports about how many actual IRL national fans are expected to attend this tournament?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/FootyScran/status/1592878355954937856?s=20&t=J7qvxrjJbjtS3QTJzPJ9Tg

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

shameful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fyre Festival vibes intensifying

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

It does have an olive...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm the single cube of feta

Average Lettuce posted:

It does have an olive...

No wait I'm this username/post combo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Looks about right for stadium food

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

norwegian tv2 struggled to fill their sponsorship slots for their tv broadcasts and only managed to land one, an electronics retailer, who just announced that they're backing out of the deal and giving all their prepaid slots to amnesty

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Mickolution posted:

Or how gangs of hooligans were going to run riot in 2018?

Hahaha I completely forgot about this, news showing footage of Russian skinhead nutters kicking the poo poo out of each other in the forest to prepare - contrasted with footage of Big Dave from Plymouth with his top off having a Stella

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Erm, *looks over Arabic menu with Google translate* How much is the Dis-entry Special?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mickolution posted:

To be honest, I don't think this is the case. FIFA basically take over the country for the duration of the tournament so this looks like they're just going to let a lot of things slide for foreigners to paint a better picture of things (just like the 1936 Olympics). There are safety concerns (and scare stories) before every World Cup that isn't held in a Western European country, but they usually turn out ok. Remember how everyone was going to get robbed in 2010 and 2014? Or how gangs of hooligans were going to run riot in 2018?

Now, what happens to locals or once the TV cameras have left is another story, of course.

Yeah, there are stories about every world cup that is not in a western country, though the notable thing is more that they don't cover poo poo in the west, rather than them covering stuff elsewhere. Lot's of stories about corruption in building stadiums for the world cup in Brazil (which were all true), which just so happened to be taking place at the time when the city of Atlanta was spending a billion dollars of public money to replace 2 stadiums that were not even 20 years old (which was covered as a positive thing for the city of atlanta)..

The issue with Qatar, though, is how blatant the bad stuff is. In Brazil they painted the favelas to make it look nice. In Qatar they threaten journalists on live tv to now film in public.

It's like that old joke of the guy being kicked out of a public swimming pool for peeing in the pool. He protests "but everyone pees in the pool," and the security guard replies "not from the tallest trampoline."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Never forget Sol Campbell died in Ukraine in 2012.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/amjadt25/status/1593271354803032064

https://twitter.com/The82Club/status/1593318086773510144

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Piling all my money on a 3-0 qatar win after Ecuador forfeit due to 24 hour food poisoning from a dodgy £9 greek salad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I mean the Qatari national team is supposed to be okay by national team standards so I'm going to need better evidence than a tweet that misspells Ecuador

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Ecuador simply isn't used to playing in such altitude

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Weaponized Cum posted:

Ecuador simply isn't used to playing in such altitude

That air is going to feel chewable compared to Quito.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
thank you for leaving this vile slander out of the Ecuador Futbol and Volcano thread

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean the Qatari national team is supposed to be okay by national team standards so I'm going to need better evidence than a tweet that misspells Ecuador

They have gone 5-0 in friendlies in October against teams like Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama and Albania. They are probably better than that level of teams, and probably won’t look hideous, but they presumably will end up,last in their group. I don’t believe a random tweet about Ecadourian insiders, but I don’t find it impossible they might try to fix a match.

Saudi-Arabia is among Asia’s best teams and can lose 0-5 to Russia for example, and Qatar is probably worse. They might fear that kind of result without anything to show for it in their slavery games.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Qatar are the reigning Asian champions from 2019, and they beat Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Japan in that tournament. Not saying they're world beaters because they clearly aren't, but they might well surprise a few people here

Mind you it would be extremely funny if they beat Ecuador 1-0 in the opening game thanks to a dodgy second-half goal, so I hope that's what happens

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this stuff is here so the Qataris can have it documented that they are officially going to "play nice".
I feel like we need a version of Hanlon's Razor for actual malice. Because, why assume a grand chessmaster conspiracy here? I imagine they mean every word, because what they want is for the foreigners to show up, spend their money, and go home with stories about what a good time they had and they weren't hassled at all, everyone was so tolerant and nice and it was such an advanced country.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1593315825020112896

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh that’s going to go well for everyone involved

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's the only thing that would have actually lost them the world cup so of course they're leaving it to the last minute

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's the only thing that would have actually lost them the world cup so of course they're leaving it to the last minute

The segment in Football Weekly a couple weeks back when there was an update on what fans will be looking forward to for hotels and alcohol/fan zones in Qatar just drove home how awful it will be to go in person as just a regular fan.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Have they announced whether they’ll do water breaks or any other changes to actual games due to the weather?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Where's the clip of that extremely punchable FIFA guy commenting on the Brazilian stadium beer ban by going basically "we make our own laws, so suck it"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Have they announced whether they’ll do water breaks or any other changes to actual games due to the weather?

I don’t think inside the stadium should pose any problems. They did do the Track and Field World Championships there a few years back, and the only events that really had problems were the marathon and race walks that weren’t in the stadium.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

This is what FIFA deserve. Lol if they get sued by Budweiser

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
this is just setting the stage for stone cold to show up in the beer truck at the final, just dousing the previously beer-free fan zone in delicious bud suds

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

loving lol, I just checked two bookies sites and they're not taking correct score bets on that game!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1593538940891500544

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

jeebus bob posted:

Where's the clip of that extremely punchable FIFA guy commenting on the Brazilian stadium beer ban by going basically "we make our own laws, so suck it"

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1pPGdgbrs0

lmao this is a joke. Qatar have spent $200bn and not even got the sportwashing bit right

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i don't think literally anyone is gonna be happy with this world cup except maybe the members of the winning team who get that feather in their cap and have it shine enough to blot out everything else (and that's fair)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1593544019711496192

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Congrats to whoever called that they’d pull this last minute. Wonder if there’s anything else they’ll alter the deal over now they’re feeling themselves.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

There's still time to move it. Could easily stage the knockouts in london