Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Elon disabled tweets as a cost saving measure.

Awful snipe, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592564281698299904?s=20&t=ywIutpK79qS9vtSZHWAcew

This man is profoundly stupid.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That poo poo with him is so weird, the CEO of Ford doesn't come out and say I'm an expert on everything Truck because my company sells F-150s because that isn't the CEOs job.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

socialsecurity posted:

That poo poo with him is so weird, the CEO of Ford doesn't come out and say I'm an expert on everything Truck because my company sells F-150s because that isn't the CEOs job.

He also doesn't show up one day, fire all the designers, and then ask if trucks really use all 4 of their wheels

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now I have to double-check each time to be sure it’s actually his account making him look like a huge moron.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1) Which man? Both tweeters are horrifyingly dumb. 2) Elon didn't found PayPal and Zip2, like every other one of his companies, he funded them. The man hasn't invented a thing in his life except new ways to spend money on stuff. And 3) isn't this the blog that did a full-court press to try and cover up and disprove the fact that Telsas ran over children on auto-pilot, right up to putting out as "I require one (1) live human child for a live fire experiment, you will be compensated if your child/children do not survive." request that got laughed off the internet. Also lol they paid Elonk for a checkmark.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

1) Which man? Both tweeters are horrifyingly dumb. 2) Elon didn't found PayPal and Zip2, like every other one of his companies, he funded them. The man hasn't invented a thing in his life except new ways to spend money on stuff. And 3) isn't this the blog that did a full-court press to try and cover up and disprove the fact that Telsas ran over children on auto-pilot, right up to putting out as "I require one (1) live human child for a live fire experiment, you will be compensated if your child/children do not survive." request that got laughed off the internet. Also lol they paid Elonk for a checkmark.
Yes and if you look at the projects that Elon has been the most involved in, those are the biggest shitshows

Like just look at his ‘robot’ or anything involving The Boring Co.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

haveblue posted:

He also doesn't show up one day, fire all the designers, and then ask if trucks really use all 4 of their wheels

Live footage of Elon at the wheel of Twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kliras posted:

on a slightly different note, deviantart is up to some poo poo and will use all art on its platform to train an ai unless people explicitly opt out

https://twitter.com/IanFayArt/status/1591116114926653440

can't even leave your old work to rot on a dead website these days

Wow Murrlogic1 has really upped the sophistication of his operation.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's worse then it sounds because that option is chosen when you add something.

You have to edit everything you have ever uploaded if you don't want anything used.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:haw:

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593391604785504257?s=20&t=HzwT1KlvaKtMZl-Ely90aA

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593391954301054976?s=20&t=HzwT1KlvaKtMZl-Ely90aA

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593392304038899717?s=20&t=HzwT1KlvaKtMZl-Ely90aA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Badge reading was a microservice

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
So instead of peer code review they're going to have the Inquisition checking code for malicious backdoors and whatnot. An healthy way to run a company.

Also what would have access to the office have to do with sabotaging Twitter? I would expect the only employees that need physical access for their duties are like physical security and facilities people. I would expect Twitter not to run anything on prem, or at least nothing that is related to its frontend at the very minimum. EDIT: are they worried about people that have had their priviledges revoked physically accessing servers with like a console cable?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are rumors that the company is down to around 600 employees or less. I saw one report saying maybe 250. They had 7500 when Musk walked in the door not even three weeks ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are rumors that the company is down to around 600 employees or less. I saw one report saying maybe 250. They had 7500 when Musk walked in the door not even three weeks ago.

How long could Twitter even remain online at that point if it's true? Even if you assumed 600 of the most competent and capable employees decided to stick around I'm not sure how you maintain everything Twitter needs to function at the best of times with that much of a workforce reduction

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably not long. Their 2FA system is still down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He really has gone full Fuhrerbunker. Locking everything down in fear of imaginary traitors.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
If you funded strategic reduction in scope for a few years, 600 sounds fine for keeping the site running on a technical basis.

Probably the worst ticking clock is that it's going to be CSAM central in not a very long time, because keeping that off a public platform at Twitter scale takes a lot of headcount.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He really has gone full Fuhrerbunker. Locking everything down in fear of imaginary traitors.

Well, if you they wouldn't pledge eternal loyalty to him then clearly they are plotting to betray him.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ImpAtom posted:

How long could Twitter even remain online at that point if it's true? Even if you assumed 600 of the most competent and capable employees decided to stick around I'm not sure how you maintain everything Twitter needs to function at the best of times with that much of a workforce reduction

World Cup is this weekend. The site struggles to keep up during the World Cup in the best of times. So 3 days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmund Lava posted:

World Cup is this weekend. The site struggles to keep up during the World Cup in the best of times. So 3 days.

Earlier someone pointed out a certificate that expires in early December. There might not be anyone left who has access to the credentials needed to renew it, let alone knows how to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And just imagine how Musk is going to react to an actual problem he can't ignore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And just imagine how Musk is going to react to an actual problem he can't ignore.

by tweeting about it

wait…

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A few snatches of things from Reuters:

Reuters posted:

In a poll on the workplace app Blind, which verifies employees through their work email addresses and allows them to share information anonymously, 42% of 180 people chose the answer for "Taking exit option, I'm free!"

A quarter said they had chosen to stay "reluctantly," and only 7% of the poll participants said they "clicked yes to stay, I'm hardcore."[...]

On Thursday evening, the version of the Twitter app used by employees began slowing down, according to one source familiar with the matter, who estimated that the public version of Twitter was at risk of breaking during the night.

"If it does break, there is no one left to fix things in many areas," the person said, who declined to be named for fear of retribution.

In a private chat on Signal with about 50 Twitter staffers, nearly 40 said they had decided to leave, according to the former employee.

And in a private Slack group for Twitter's current and former employees, about 360 people joined a new channel titled "voluntary-layoff," said a person with knowledge of the Slack group.

A separate poll on Blind asked staffers to estimate what percentage of people would leave Twitter based on their perception. More than half of respondents estimated at least 50% of employees would leave.[...]

In an apparent jab at Musk's call for employees to be "hardcore," the Twitter profile bios of several departing engineers on Thursday described themselves as "softcore engineers" or "ex-hardcore engineers."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EasyEW posted:

A few snatches of things from Reuters:

There's a lot of rumors going around that Twitter has less than 250-300 employees left

Edit:

Here we go....
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1593427031907106821?s=20&t=cMfJed8SXCfYHX991_o3MA

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 18, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

So instead of peer code review they're going to have the Inquisition checking code for malicious backdoors and whatnot. An healthy way to run a company.

Also what would have access to the office have to do with sabotaging Twitter? I would expect the only employees that need physical access for their duties are like physical security and facilities people. I would expect Twitter not to run anything on prem, or at least nothing that is related to its frontend at the very minimum. EDIT: are they worried about people that have had their priviledges revoked physically accessing servers with like a console cable?

Maybe planting physical hardware to maintain network access or something? I don't know. He closed the offices for the initial layoff wave, too. I guess with layoffs at this scale, it's not like you can just have security show up and walk everyone out.

It really does stand out how much Musk deeply distrusts Twitter employees, too. We saw a lot of that during the transition too - nearly the entire moderation staff was locked out of their mod tools for a few days, and he sent managers scouring their payrolls to make sure that their teams existed and that there weren't any nonexistent "ghost employees" drawing a salary.

It's bizarre - I haven't heard of him being nearly this paranoid in his other companies. Is it because he inherited the workforce and didn't have a chance to stuff it with toadies from the very beginning? Or is he just scared that it's full of liberal operatives out to destroy free speech at any cost? Who the gently caress knows, but it's honestly impressive how quickly he's tanked employee morale.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Young Freud posted:

There's a lot of rumors going around that Twitter has less than 250-300 employees left

Edit:

Here we go....
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1593427031907106821?s=20&t=cMfJed8SXCfYHX991_o3MA
I think this is because everyone heard Twitter is dying and trying to jump on at once

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

They're maybe less than 200-300 now. Lots of resignations into the night....
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593427480051822592?s=20&t=cMfJed8SXCfYHX991_o3MA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe planting physical hardware to maintain network access or something? I don't know. He closed the offices for the initial layoff wave, too. I guess with layoffs at this scale, it's not like you can just have security show up and walk everyone out.

It really does stand out how much Musk deeply distrusts Twitter employees, too. We saw a lot of that during the transition too - nearly the entire moderation staff was locked out of their mod tools for a few days, and he sent managers scouring their payrolls to make sure that their teams existed and that there weren't any nonexistent "ghost employees" drawing a salary.

It's bizarre - I haven't heard of him being nearly this paranoid in his other companies. Is it because he inherited the workforce and didn't have a chance to stuff it with toadies from the very beginning? Or is he just scared that it's full of liberal operatives out to destroy free speech at any cost? Who the gently caress knows, but it's honestly impressive how quickly he's tanked employee morale.

It may be to find some gossamer-thin pretext for a narrative of internal sabotage.

Out of curiosity, what has all of this done to Musk’s net worth?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Edit:

Here we go....

This is what they mean by "Number Go Up", right? This is the number Elonk wants to go up, correct?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, how Mastodon works is you have to sign up for a specific server right? And mastodon.social is the general one, right? Seems like they're swamped by so many twitter refugees that you can't sign up for mastodon.social right now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what would Twitter imploding realistically look like? Just the website disappearing into the ether with no warning?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what would Twitter imploding realistically look like? Just the website disappearing into the ether with no warning?

Yes. Something load-bearing breaks and nobody fixes it. The site starts returning internal errors or stops responding entirely. Computers do not heal or reconfigure themselves and all the staff who could have done it are gone. A site on the scale of twitter requires constant attention from a large team, it’s just all invisible because when they do their job it works flawlessly

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 18, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The slow corrosions: lack of staff needed for maintaining relations and partnerships starves it of revenue, lack of design and ux causes the site experience to stagnate, lack of moderation, customer support and curation degrades the user experience and creates feedback loops of engagement loss

The acute implosions: lack of sufficient code base maintenance leaves the site vulnerable to catastrophic outages or data loss. Site becomes progressively more vulnerable to exploits or data leaks. The longer the site has staffing and offices in such disarray, the greater the chances each day that the site just goes down in a way that remaining skeleton crews cannot fix in a reasonable timeframe

Either grouping of issues is fatal, twitter gets both

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I am almost impressed with how poorly musk handled everything. Guy about to have actually killed twitter in less than a Liz Truss. He never not once did anything the not stupid way and he looked like an rear end in a top hat the entire time

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Will Twitter outlast this iceberg lettuce? y/n

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's the interesting thing: we don't really know. This has kind of never happened before. We've never really seen a communal space of this size and and scope falter so rapidly to the point where it's literally hard to predict when and how it will break and what the fallout will be. Will it go all at once and just never come back? Will it hobble along, slowly sloughing off functionality after functionality until it takes like 15 minutes to just load one tweet and people abandon it in waves? It could also somehow soldier on for years, diminished and irrelevant yet still used by a collection of desperate weirdos who failed to migrate elsewhere, like SA is doing. We'll find out eventually though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
We talk about Trump speedrunning Nixon but dear god has Musk turned rich white guy incompetence up to 11.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ohtori Akio posted:

Will Twitter outlast this iceberg lettuce? y/n

Should we have a Toxx thread gambling on the date Twitter crashes for good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

People were just logging off on call during Elon's big speech...https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1593405187745619975?t=yK8N6fJdFT2nYT-H5icOdg&s=19