Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593494261038649344?s=20&t=zDgcaIfwZYPZAJSpg12ZBg

this poo poo is so lame I can't even handle it, he absolutely sickens me

Starting to get a real 'we'll take the spruce moose' vibe here. I guess the lesson is 'never do anything that lets a billionaire notice you'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Will Elon run for president?

Isn't that the ultimate end goal for obsessive clout and reputation chasers

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

You have to be a natural born American to run for president and idk if musky is

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
He’s not born in the US I believe so legally he can’t.

That being said, all he really needs to do is to run as a republican and they’d politely ignore that fact.

But yeah if Musk was a born US citizen he’d absolutely buy Twitter specifically to prepare for a presidential run.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593494261038649344?s=20&t=zDgcaIfwZYPZAJSpg12ZBg

His dad was right, whoever pushed him down the stairs in school was justified to do so.

This man is so lame that I don’t even know what to feel besides an overwhelming urge to pants this man.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Zzulu posted:

Will Elon run for president?

Isn't that the ultimate end goal for obsessive clout and reputation chasers

Trump's the nominee. Now and forever.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

jeffreyw posted:

His dad was right, whoever pushed him down the stairs in school was justified to do so.

This man is so lame that I don’t even know what to feel besides an overwhelming urge to pants this man.

Jesus God man restrain yourself. what I've seen of the man already is grotesque and lumpy enough. ain't nobody got to see what's down there.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

It's kind of almost magical what a loser he is, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Man gently caress whoever it was that was ragging on STP a few pages back. :suicide:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I posted to a musk tweet saying low tax was funnier and I stand by it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Rahul Ligma joke was funny for a hot minute and it makes sense he needs to drag it for as long as possible

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deki posted:

Cutting some of the fat probably wouldn't have been a terrible idea in a vacuum. A lot of big tech companies will hoard skilled developers and will have them work on projects that have a slim chance of going anywhere.

But it wouldn't have been enough to even cover the interest on the loans he took, and he's enough of a known jackass that a lot of people were probably going to be looking for new work regardless.

I'm mostly upset by the job market getting flooded with talented developers right as I'm exploring job opportunities, gently caress you elon musk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I'm mostly upset by the job market getting flooded with talented developers right as I'm exploring job opportunities, gently caress you elon musk

but now you can claim twitter experience you don't have, is anyone gonna be able to check it?

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Rahul Ligma joke was funny for a hot minute and it makes sense he needs to drag it for as long as possible

He's stripped it off the minimum amount of effort needed to parse the surnames into "the joke" and is just saying the punchline in the setup like a 12yr old who thought something was hilarious but didn't understand the process is part of the result when they try riff off it. I feel this is an Elon original meme, not one he stole for a change.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine being a literal billionaire and spending all of your time posting cringe poo poo to a public forum where people just dunk on you all day non stop. Is this a fetish for him? At least when I post cringe poo poo 100,000 people don't all call me a pencil-dicked moron

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Twitter, the service, isn't likely to stop working in the next few days, or probably weeks. But it died today. Whatever keeps lurching forward isn't going to be built and run by the people who made it what it is. It'll be built and run by the people who aren't happy with what it is and chose to stay after the new boss pulled an atomic seagull power move.

The legal team that protected it and kept it somewhat following laws worldwide is gone. The operations team that kept its software deployed and servers running in datacenters is gone. The teams that found and fixed bugs are gone. The security team is gone. The moderation staff are gone. The ad sales people are gone. The people who ran their staffing and payroll and training are gone.

And even though twitter dot com probably won't get squatted when it comes up for renewal soon, everyone who relies on Twitter is having to consider other options. No one can ever trust the service again. Not advertisers, not news organizations, not media companies, not businesses, not users. Not in the way they did a month ago.

LOL

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

QuarkJets posted:

Imagine being a literal billionaire and spending all of your time posting cringe poo poo to a public forum where people just dunk on you all day non stop. Is this a fetish for him? At least when I post cringe poo poo 100,000 people don't all call me a pencil-dicked moron

Only because the forums userbase is dying of old age, you're still hitting the high 60s champ

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tunicate posted:

but now you can claim twitter experience you don't have, is anyone gonna be able to check it?

that seems like it could an extremely plausible way to lie on a resume, and I’m kinda impressed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Tempted to apply and find myself suddenly in charge of all infrastructure.

Can we get a status of the Twitter death pool? I want to know which goons were prescient enough to guess a date before Thanksgiving.

I sad it was optimistic to assume it would run till Thanksgiving

Elon has a lot of fumes money he can dump in to yell "I'm not owned!" At the screen for a while though

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 18, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tricky Ed posted:

And even though twitter dot com probably won't get squatted when it comes up for renewal soon, everyone who relies on Twitter is having to consider other options. No one can ever trust the service again. Not advertisers, not news organizations, not media companies, not businesses, not users. Not in the way they did a month ago.

LOL

Someone will absolutely be waiting for the exact moment that domain's up for renewal, if only because it'll be really funny.

At worst you could make Elon pay you a shitload of money to get it back.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1593519887749718016?s=20&t=iiFQnpIEpowviMmEujxFiw

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

im so glad there's not a universe of Twitter followers out there to watch me fail at my job in real time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this is the most expensive comedy that will ever be made

thanks leon we like a chuckle

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's wild that despite 90% of the employees being gone, the one thing that we can be sure will work flawlessly and instantly right up till the bitter end is apparently that posting "elon musk sucks" will get you banned

Elon must be handling that himself

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Data Graham posted:

It's wild that despite 90% of the employees being gone, the one thing that we can be sure will work flawlessly and instantly right up till the bitter end is apparently that posting "elon musk sucks" will get you banned

Elon must be handling that himself

Well yeah, he's the only one left with moderation access.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
seems like at some point he decided he was going to intentionally tank the company to make it seem like that was the plan all along

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Woke up this morning and was hearing this strange buzzing noise coming from deep in my closet. Went all the way down in the back and it's my old Charlie Sheen detector just vibrating like crazy. The thing doesn't even have batteries in it any more, what's going on?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

greazeball posted:

Woke up this morning and was hearing this strange buzzing noise coming from deep in my closet. Went all the way down in the back and it's my old Charlie Sheen detector just vibrating like crazy. The thing doesn't even have batteries in it any more, what's going on?

I mean not sure you gonna get any other answers other than you're getting haunted by the ghost of charlie sheen.

Congrats I guess?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I would like so apologize to the thread, to former Twitter employees, and to the people who lived under apartheid.

This one made me laugh and I went to fav it before I saw who it was from.

I am truly sorry.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqEFhx8-CQ0

this should be the song to send twitter off

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Snowmankilla posted:

I would like so apologize to the thread, to former Twitter employees, and to the people who lived under apartheid.

I am truly sorry.

some guy called mauro made it anyway, his name is in the picture. so elon just took someone else's joke and reposted it you are safe.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63672307

all employees now locked out of offices, all badge access revoked.

(until Monday)

LOL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: Twitter replacements, it seems like the main thing keeping any of them from really serving the purpose is posts being embeddable. Right?

Mastodon posts aren't embeddable? Or are they?

Facebook posts must not be, otherwise I'm sure we'd have seem them here as often as we've seen tweets over the years.

It seems to me that a huge part of Twitter's success was rooted in the fact that posts could be embedded anywhere on any site, which made them ubiquitous across news articles, forums, random websites without formal syndication agreements, just anything. It's what allowed it to work as a journalism platform. It was the final culmination of that era about 15 years ago when every web page or blog post had a string of "share" icons for sites like digg/stumbleupon/reddit/de.licio.us/all those other sites that I can't even remember now.

For something to take over for Twitter it's going to need to operate without any need for people to be members of the site to see its content.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

roomtone posted:

some guy called mauro made it anyway, his name is in the picture. so elon just took someone else's joke and reposted it you are safe.

Like clockwork

He's both too predictable and unpredictable

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Has anyone said "Twitanic" yet?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tricky Ed posted:

Twitter, the service, isn't likely to stop working in the next few days, or probably weeks. But it died today. Whatever keeps lurching forward isn't going to be built and run by the people who made it what it is. It'll be built and run by the people who aren't happy with what it is and chose to stay after the new boss pulled an atomic seagull power move.

The legal team that protected it and kept it somewhat following laws worldwide is gone. The operations team that kept its software deployed and servers running in datacenters is gone. The teams that found and fixed bugs are gone. The security team is gone. The moderation staff are gone. The ad sales people are gone. The people who ran their staffing and payroll and training are gone.

LOL

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of artists and content creators and others posting “hey if this place burns here is my Instagram or discord or whatever” or poo poo similar. It’s the beginning of the end.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

Has anyone said "Twitanic" yet?

let's just say you're on the same wavelength as Sam7025260 from Queensland, Australia

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
IRC is gonna make a come back right?
:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowmankilla posted:

I am truly sorry.
Yeah, same. I actually liked then unliked, when saw it was an elon retweet.

But yeah at the moment he seems to both be retweeting stuff that makes it seem like he purposefully killed twitter and it's dying, as well as saying he's everything fine, got it under control better than ever. He could see how bad poo poo is and is trying to give himself an out by saying, "oh yeah, I meant this all along".

The simplest in most likely thing though is he just really loves attention -particularly from "cool" memer people, and will do anything to get it.