Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was today years old when I learned Gunpla calls their plastic sheets, "runners", whereas GW calls them sprues, and not only that, there are sprue/runner holders which seems like an awesome concept.

I bought mail organizer type thing to use as a runner holder... And immediately filled it with kits for Warhammer, Frostgrave and a few Bandai Space Battleship Yamato and Star Wars kits :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I bought mail organizer type thing to use as a runner holder... And immediately filled it with kits for Warhammer, Frostgrave and a few Bandai Space Battleship Yamato and Star Wars kits :shrug:

I've just been keeping them in the box because it means there's less dust on them by the time I get to it, and I like to keep the box art to know what I want to do to emulate the paint job

but now the backlog is starting to crowd my shelf space too much

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

I also got mine and gifted to my buddy who I got into Gunpla. He was practically giddy, thanks bud.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Just Dan Again posted:

Got my package from Midjack as well! Thank you for coordinating prizes! I'll probably assemble my prize next once I finally overpower this Mechagodzilla kit. (ball and socket update- shaving a bit out of the sockets and filing a bit off the balls got them to the point where I could actually assemble the torso, legs, and arms. On to the tail, which has about a million more connections to smash together...)

Is it the Eva one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They announced more Gundam Figuarts. Miorine, Kira Yamato, and

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Little question: How do y'all deal with lines/gaps like these?

With this specific part it's not really an issue since it's the underside of the groin area for the mecha so you can only see it if you flip it on its head and root around under the armor skirt. But while I was building this part it occured to me that I'd be a bit lost if such a gap would show up on a easily visible part. Would assume that a coat of primer & paint isn't enough to cover something like this and I did add some glue and firmly pressed the part together while it dried.

Burns
May 10, 2008

You can also melt some of the same colour runner using some tamiya glue (orange cap one) and apply the melted plastic goop to the area, let it dry and then sand/smooth the area and it will blend.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You can also put some plastic putty in the gaps, smooth and sand it, then paint over it. You can use this to paper over mistakes in the cement method too.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I have never tried this, but I've seen videos where people load up the joint with model cement and then use a piece of the runner to draw on it like a crayon. The solvent will of course dissolve the plastic which will fill in the gap and you can sand it down. This would especially be good if you're not painting the kit, since you are using the runner the color will match up

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I painted & built the Flame Toys Nemesis Prime kit (& a little buddy) last week. Out of the four FT Transformers I've built (IDW OP & Megatron and Starscream), this is the best. Great build quality & articulation without some of the wonkiness and fit problems that I experienced on the others. I thought the molded colors were a little flat, so I painted it up using Masterpiece Black Convoy as a guide.

Last year, I had painted up some vintage Kabaya kits and had since picked up a few more sets. Since I already had the paint mixed up, I figured I'd build one of them, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Desert Bus for Hope is doing a giveaway drive for A PG Unicorn Gundam. It's still going for another 30 minutes at time of posting, donations of $7.90, or multiples thereof, to enter if anyone's game to try their luck or just donate some money to Child's Play, for a chance to win it. Make an account, hit the donate button, there's an option to straight-up pick the donation drive amount there.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the input on filling gaps! I'll give this a try soonish to get a feel for it. I bought a 30 minute missions kit from bandai to serve as my guinea pig for painting and some other techniques before I gently caress up my expensive kits :v:

Family values :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mistakes into miracles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Japanese chip brand Aerial, which has partnered with G-Witch for very obvious reasons, is releasing a limited edition flavor that comes with a campaign for a limited edition HG Aerial

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Why does that Guntank have legs?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1593615018079100929?s=46&t=ugEWp16dGIaKAk9KlDgbEQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
First go with panel lining and weathering on this RG Wing Zero EW, and had an absolute blast doing it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Count Thrashula posted:

First go with panel lining and weathering on this RG Wing Zero EW, and had an absolute blast doing it

That's definitely a mobile suit that flies through explosions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why does that Guntank have legs?

For show, of course.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Desert Bus for Hope is doing a giveaway drive for A PG Unicorn Gundam. It's still going for another 30 minutes at time of posting, donations of $7.90, or multiples thereof, to enter if anyone's game to try their luck or just donate some money to Child's Play, for a chance to win it. Make an account, hit the donate button, there's an option to straight-up pick the donation drive amount there.

I had to go to bed before they started the giveaway, so I set an alarm for every hour so I'd be able to catch this one and donate. Luckily I was able to enter the giveaway the first time my alarm went off. Unluckily, I didn't win.

I guess I'll just have to build the MG Unicorn I already have instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2611003001001

A clear color version of this old-rear end Devil Gundam lol

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

boz posted:

Is it the Eva one?

It is, yeah. The tail wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought, although I did have to do the filing and shaving routine on the main connection of the tail to the body. It looks nice, but an awful lot of trouble compared to a Gundam kit

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Midjack! I just stopped by my dad's house to pick up the Arbalest (moving). I got my fiancée into modelling so I plan to sit with her and make it the next time she's got a free day.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Johnny from mega64 had a bad time with that crab unit 01 they put out.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Waffleman_ posted:

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2611003001001

A clear color version of this old-rear end Devil Gundam lol

I was originally about to make a post about how the Limited Gundam Base events usually have nothing but expensive titanium finishes or random clear version colors that imo usually look a lot worse

but then they put the HG Beguir-Beu in clear color as a stealth addition (or at least I swear I did not see it over the past few days) which actually looks kind good, so I guess p-bandai got me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Thanks Midjack! I just stopped by my dad's house to pick up the Arbalest (moving). I got my fiancée into modelling so I plan to sit with her and make it the next time she's got a free day.

:cheerdoge: Have fun with it!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Desert Bus finally pushed me over the edge and I now own my first two HG kits... :ohdear:

:woop:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

MechaX posted:

I was originally about to make a post about how the Limited Gundam Base events usually have nothing but expensive titanium finishes or random clear version colors that imo usually look a lot worse

but then they put the HG Beguir-Beu in clear color as a stealth addition (or at least I swear I did not see it over the past few days) which actually looks kind good, so I guess p-bandai got me

No joke, the titanium MG Tallgeese look goddamn amazing and I'm still kicking myself I only got TG1 when I was there and not the whole set.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Llfrith Ur looks like a chunky boy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pinwiz11 posted:

Desert Bus finally pushed me over the edge and I now own my first two HG kits... :ohdear:

:woop:

Bandai knew EXACTLY what they were doing giving some beginner kits specifically for them to build and demo rather than as extra giveaways. And Ian and Jordan did an excellent job showing what you can achieve with both a straight build and a little extra effort. :allears:

Puddin posted:

No joke, the titanium MG Tallgeese look goddamn amazing and I'm still kicking myself I only got TG1 when I was there and not the whole set.

The Iron-blooded Coating Barbatos Gundams ate well worth your money too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BandaiHobbyUS/status/1594339227881607168

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sam, this is High Grademan. The otaku in Mountain Knot City have finished their 30 Minute Mission kitbashes and need something else to work on in time for the Bridges Gunpla Cup. They're counting on you!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/Makeshiftfab/status/1594495746082045953?s=20&t=nRLJ23CPA294RRzICGWuGQ

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ohh, he's a cranky baby

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Someone on Facebook sold me a Daban knockoff "MG" "Barbatos" kit for next to nothing, and good sweet lord has it been a nightmare. Weak-rear end plastic, terrible gating that's a pain in the rear end to remove (I have so many cuts on my hands), and flimsy ill-fitting parts.

Like, I'll still display it on my shelf, but I'm not even going to bother with the few decals they included, and I'm not going to bother with the "6th form" additional bits they included.

Yeesh. I'm not going with non-Bandai again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They looked at the Barbatos and thought "that's nowhere near pointy enough"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That looks like what happens in video games when they use low polygon versions to indicate a clone of another character.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Count Thrashula posted:

Someone on Facebook sold me a Daban knockoff "MG" "Barbatos" kit for next to nothing, and good sweet lord has it been a nightmare. Weak-rear end plastic, terrible gating that's a pain in the rear end to remove (I have so many cuts on my hands), and flimsy ill-fitting parts.

Like, I'll still display it on my shelf, but I'm not even going to bother with the few decals they included, and I'm not going to bother with the "6th form" additional bits they included.

Yeesh. I'm not going with non-Bandai again.

I'm curious about how it was presented to you. That's the HIRM, which I've heard even the bandai version kinda sucks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm curious about how it was presented to you. That's the HIRM, which I've heard even the bandai version kinda sucks.

"Presented" is a strong word. Daban's stuff only has a production code for identification (in this case, 8818). No trademarked words (Gundam, Barbatos, MG, etc.) anywhere to be found.

It's just a numbered shoebox full of sprues and badly-typoed instructions. But yeah, looking through Google images, it definitely looks like the HIRM version

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I got a birthday present from a friend with some expansion sets for a kit they gave me as a present years ago but I still haven't gotten around to because of backlog :effort: issues. Probably to get me to finally work on it :v:

Ironically I feel like this makes getting to it even harder, since now I want to really do it justice and paint it up nice and everything. :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 21, 2022