Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That was my experience as well, it felt more like a "find the developer's intended solution" instead of "find your own solution" type of game, I still liked the story enough to finish it but the gameplay wasn't particularly inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's more of a setpiece experience game like uhhhh Uncharted but not as obnoxious and a more interesting setting lol.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

btw, I'm open to suggestions for what to review next as long as they're on Steam or GOG. I'm not averse to reviewing classics like Thief 2 or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory but I've never really seen the point since people in this thread have probably already played them.

I guess logically I should pick up Sniper Elite 5 but I've heard that it's gone even more in the 'not-quite-so-snipey' direction than 4 (but I'm willing to consider it nonetheless). At any rate, suggest away!

Deus Ex: Invisible War. Idk if its is very stealthy though.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe I'll do the whole Deus Ex series. I really did not like the closet-sized levels in IW when it came out, but I can give it another shake after all these years.

I'm going to review both Plague Tale games since the first one was $20 on GOG :v:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe I'll do the whole Deus Ex series. I really did not like the closet-sized levels in IW when it came out, but I can give it another shake after all these years.

I'm going to review both Plague Tale games since the first one was $20 on GOG :v:

hopefully its been fixed as a gog release or whatever, but iw would basically reload the entire game for each map load. modern machines wouldnt close the window from the previous map so youd end up with 100s of windows that had to be closed when you went to quit

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

hopefully its been fixed as a gog release or whatever, but iw would basically reload the entire game for each map load. modern machines wouldnt close the window from the previous map so youd end up with 100s of windows that had to be closed when you went to quit

Lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This has not been fixed. It was such a piece of poo poo that they had to hard crash and reload the game every time otherwise it had an unsolvable memory leak, modders have tried and failed to fix it

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This has not been fixed. It was such a piece of poo poo that they had to hard crash and reload the game every time otherwise it had an unsolvable memory leak, modders have tried and failed to fix it

What the hell? lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leadthumb posted:

What the hell? lol

a funny side effect is that the time played stat on steam for IW can only ever show you how long you've idled at the main menu bc the exe closes&reopens whenever you hit a load screen

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

a funny side effect is that the time played stat on steam for IW can only ever show you how long you've idled at the main menu bc the exe closes&reopens whenever you hit a load screen

Lol. World record any% 30 seconds

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Imagining the kind of person who would abuse this to get a 2-hour refund on such a classic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Imagining the kind of person who would abuse this to get a 2-hour refund on such a classic

Say...

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I worked at a summer camp summer of '03, and a friend of mine who also worked there brought his Xbox and TV up just so he could buy Invisible War and play it at launch instead of waiting til he got home. He invited the entire youth staff to come watch the first time he booted it up, then after that first day he just put it away and I never saw it again

e: Huh. Wikipedia says this was released December of that year, but I remember this happening. I cannot explain this

Arch Nemesis fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 18, 2022

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So it looks like Ubisoft is doing a remake of the original Splinter Cell - not a remaster, they're recreating it from scratch in a new engine. It really looks interesting, they want to give it the open-endedness of later titles. I'm hoping they figure a way to do something about the mandatory action sections too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJpSeit3zI

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

So it looks like Ubisoft is doing a remake of the original Splinter Cell - not a remaster, they're recreating it from scratch in a new engine. It really looks interesting, they want to give it the open-endedness of later titles. I'm hoping they figure a way to do something about the mandatory action sections too.

Splinter cell ftw

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

:pray:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Seventh Arrow posted:

Michael Ironside coming back?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I really hope they keep the systems and animations from Blacklist when doing the remake of the original. I feel like those things were iterated to be as-close-to-perfect as you can get after all the games.

Also, Ironside.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah they were suspiciously silent about Ironside. I guess we'll see. The use of a different voice actor doesn't bother me that much, but this is supposed to be a grand 20th Anniversary event, so I hope they get him.

Going forward though, if they make any "new" Splinter Cell games, I hope they have Fisher in more of a Lambert-type handler role rather than being out in the field. Blacklist was ridiculous, you have a guy who was past retirement age and he had moves that would make Spider-man jealous.

Although I'm kind of hoping that they just follow up with a remake of Pandora Tomorrow, I hate that it's so hard to get (maybe impossible?) on digital storefronts.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I hope it has chaos theory style multiplayer.. that was some good stuff.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol i played it on xbox but that sounds sick

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Seventh Arrow posted:

dont pass over the fall, the mobile deus ex ported back to computers. people will tell you it sucks but its pretty cool for what it is: simple human revolution style gameplay with the same strong writing and dialogue. though if IW's levels are closet sized, the fall's maybe an open kitchen/living room floorplan. but hey at least it doesnt force you back to your desktop everytime it loads one

also mankind divideds last dlc is great too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He09JaBVZdE

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ipad just couldnt handle The Trash Lady

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cumpantry posted:

dont pass over the fall, the mobile deus ex ported back to computers. people will tell you it sucks but its pretty cool for what it is: simple human revolution style gameplay with the same strong writing and dialogue. though if IW's levels are closet sized, the fall's maybe an open kitchen/living room floorplan. but hey at least it doesnt force you back to your desktop everytime it loads one

also mankind divideds last dlc is great too

The prison dlc was really good if that's the one you mean

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The prison dlc was really good if that's the one you mean

yeah! i was pretty let down by the two that preceded it, but man that one was cool. sneaking around ganking one guard at a time without ever actually triggering any hostility reminded me of doing the same back in thief 1 with 'undercover'

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

also the desert sand and rock looked drat good in that engine.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cumpantry posted:

also the desert sand and rock looked drat good in that engine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

LOL... i cant help but appreciate some good boulders and tracts of sand. take the dlc i mentioned for instance

oh yeah. that's the stuff. and i can get my fix in other games too, like halo 3's sandtrap

dont you just want to run your hands through it. or how about a generated desert from deep rock?

but to round this all back to stealth games, dishonored 2 has a cool level filled with technically-not-sand-but-close-enough

so anyway i think MARIO WIIU and i will end up doing battle at some point

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

cumpantry posted:

LOL... i cant help but appreciate some good boulders and tracts of sand. take the dlc i mentioned for instance

oh yeah. that's the stuff. and i can get my fix in other games too, like halo 3's sandtrap

dont you just want to run your hands through it. or how about a generated desert from deep rock?

but to round this all back to stealth games, dishonored 2 has a cool level filled with technically-not-sand-but-close-enough

so anyway i think MARIO WIIU and i will end up doing battle at some point

Um. Lmao.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

now that is a hole i've not seen in a long time. a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No I like this guy, he's passionate about insane things I've never thought about in my life