Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

The guy was runs badge access to Twitter's office was laid off and everyone was locked out. That's why the office closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Lol I just can't see this post on android twitter.

What about this one

https://twitter.com/vesselskirt/status/1593406430899408896?t=3vkGoa7-HTJr4U9vJZGdWA&s=19

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

A farting mink posted:

My twitter feed this morning was completely borked. Every fifth post was an add and most of them were for various Chinese travel destinations. The rest were those crappy quizzes nobody ever takes and the American Catholic League. Either the algorithm has completely forgot me or those are the only clients they have left.

Yeah I got twitter from some eastern European country

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Who is Ligma Johnson?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

The Grey posted:

Who is Ligma Johnson?

steve jobs

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's Czech

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

youcallthatatwist posted:

This is the correct take.

Twitter almost certainly isn't going to explode tomorrow or the day after etc etc (although I'm still rooting for the brazilians and their immense posting power on sunday.) But this has kicked just about everyone I know who uses the platform to start building the infrastructure they'll eventually use to leave it entirely. Like if loving dril, the mascot of the entire goddamn site, is posting his find me here links, there's no way the userbase and reputation can ever recover.

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1588115310124539904

LMAO

ACTUAL PREDICTION: Elon hires just enough bootlickers and Elon fans to keep the site running with periodic outages during big events like the world cup, elections, revolutions etc. Western usage of the app slowly withers away completely with no advertisers. Japan being almost completely insulated from this whole fiasco because nobody really cared to translate any of what was going on into Japanese continues to use it. Twitter ends up being sold for much much less than Elon paid for it to a Japanese company that moves everything to Japan. 10 years from now the fact that Twitter is still heavily used in Japan is treated as a fun factoid like how fax machines are still heavily used over there.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Here's a fun and educational thread:

https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593541177965678592

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has he sold the company and its obligations for a dollar to a trivially bankruptable shell company yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

ACTUAL PREDICTION: Elon hires just enough bootlickers and Elon fans to keep the site running with periodic outages during big events like the world cup, elections, revolutions etc. Western usage of the app slowly withers away completely with no advertisers. Japan being almost completely insulated from this whole fiasco because nobody really cared to translate any of what was going on into Japanese continues to use it. Twitter ends up being sold for much much less than Elon paid for it to a Japanese company that moves everything to Japan. 10 years from now the fact that Twitter is still heavily used in Japan is treated as a fun factoid like how fax machines are still heavily used over there.

this is also my prediction, though japanese usage will also probably drop off once a similar enough replacement comes along, it will still see some use. sort of like how some americans still use tumblr but its international userbase has completely dried up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
On the subject of amazingly still alive social media. Is LiveJournal still a thing. I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was still up and solely used by Russians.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Grey posted:

The guy was runs badge access to Twitter's office was laid off and everyone was locked out. That's why the office closed.

That was a parody tweet

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This one made me feel a little queasy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593559348508512256

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

goatface posted:

Has he sold the company and its obligations for a dollar to a trivially bankruptable shell company yet?
The company is the shell corp, nothing he's done (financially) so far will pierce the corporate veil. The debts it's loaded up with dies with Twitter if it comes to it. His equity has effectively already been ablaze and is dwindling into the warm glow of mostly spent embers. The debt the banks are holding were already written down 40% even before Musk formally carried his sink into the office, and now are probably worth even less if it were to go onto the open market. The biggest long term threat is that with zero ad revenue and massive obligations to financiers and to its former employees, Twitter Inc. literally runs out of money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

On the subject of amazingly still alive social media. Is LiveJournal still a thing. I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was still up and solely used by Russians.

correct and correct.

https://www.livejournal.com/

the site literally defaults to russian when you visit it now.

a handful of the old communities are still around but they mostly just exist as links to their presence on dreamwidth or tumblr.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

he's posting through it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593494261038649344?s=20&t=3db8Xr9Uxg3PPO7Q-uQRVA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe Livejournal is big enough in Russia that some politicians and pundits use it.

It was still trucking along somewhat until 2017 when the servers were fully moved to Russia and they implemented all the Russian laws about no gay stuff. naturally the guys writing captain america/iron man fanfic did not approve.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, this is unfortunately pretty common, Facebook has the same issue. If someone just says a slur a lot then a bot can take care of it but if your job is filing a report because someone posted uncensored CP for the fifth time that day it's going to mess you up hard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's been known for ages. The other standard option is turning a blind eye to your moderators being high and/or drunk to numb themselves to the content.

Also, accepting the increased rate of suicide among your contract staff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not just cp either. not to make this thread too dark but its not actually that hard to set your phone up to deaddrop tweet an image or video of your own suicide. there's an active war going on, too. and then there's the lower end stuff like self-harm.

all of this stuff exists in the shadows of twitter on 0 follower accounts. there's a reason twitter doesnt have any user-facing method of seeing new accounts being made or new tweets as theyre being made by people you dont follow. but the backend absolutely has some way of doing that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly the thing that surprises me the most is that Elon's entire DM history hasn't leaked onto the internet yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Like come on someone absolutely has to have run SELECT * FROM tblDirectMessages WHERE from_usr = '@elonmusk' OR to_usr = '@elonmusk' on their way out and quietly saved the result set, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We got the stuff from that trial but that's just a taste, and the poo poo in there now has to be so juicy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Like come on someone absolutely has to have run SELECT * FROM tblDirectMessages WHERE from_usr = '@elonmusk' OR to_usr = '@elonmusk' on their way out and quietly saved the result set, right?

I assume they did, looked to check it worked, saw his dick and died instantly

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon DMs are just thousands of the worst memes, stolen from the dumbest people

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Endorph posted:

I believe Livejournal is big enough in Russia that some politicians and pundits use it.

It was still trucking along somewhat until 2017 when the servers were fully moved to Russia and they implemented all the Russian laws about no gay stuff. naturally the guys writing captain america/iron man fanfic did not approve.

I thought the Russians are using vk.com but admittedly it is not something I pay attention to

My old LiveJournal login apparently still works

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I assume they did, looked to check it worked, saw his dick and died instantly

It’s the old nacho smell somehow wafting out of the screen that gets ya

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Turns out they're all full of DMs to him from a dedicated team of PR people suggesting the "dankest content" and cutting the watermarks off things for him.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Roblo posted:

That was a parody tweet

Elon Musk responded to that tweet thanking that person personally, which says to me that the event did actually happen, just to a different person

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have to imagine Musk's DMs are like his email, billions of unsolicited messages, the vast majority of which is bot-generated spam, and most of the actual human created content from sycophant strangers who want something from him. The actual things you might be interested in would be like sifting pearls from a sand pile the size of the Sahara.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Imagine how many crypto-bros must DM him on an hourly basis telling him he's a god, and sir you really owned AOC with that last tweet reply 😂😂😂😂

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

learnincurve posted:

This is new and hilarious, a huge number of genshin impact players have log in unalterably linked to twitter, my kid has tried unlinking and going with a different option and it's broken. If twitter goes down then welp.

Twitter is My only fans login. I'll be ok.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone managed to download their data from twitter lately? I've been waiting like four days now and is starting to suspect data downloads is one of the "unimportant" things Musk took down.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there was a delay but japanese twitter finally took notice of it today. best reaction is "thanks elon, japan's productivity is gonna go up by a lot".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ymgve posted:

Anyone managed to download their data from twitter lately? I've been waiting like four days now and is starting to suspect data downloads is one of the "unimportant" things Musk took down.

Oh I requested it at one point a week ago, it took three days, told me it was ready, and then when I went to download told me it didn't seem to be working right now, try again some other time. I assume it's broken.

kw0134 posted:

I have to imagine Musk's DMs are like his email, billions of unsolicited messages, the vast majority of which is bot-generated spam, and most of the actual human created content from sycophant strangers who want something from him. The actual things you might be interested in would be like sifting pearls from a sand pile the size of the Sahara.

Grouping by conversations he actually participated in would be trivial.

Besides, this is the internet, we'll all happily sift for the horrible pearls together.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I had my very own private ragnarok online server and I even know how to change parameters in xml files (can make a 0 a 1) and I'm going to save Twittee, and get musk kissies

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Evilreaver posted:

Elon Musk responded to that tweet thanking that person personally, which says to me that the event did actually happen, just to a different person

lol no that was him pretending he was in on the joke

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kw0134 posted:

Being someone with an email 99+ unread which is constantly bombarded with vc spam (my fav bad one used calvin and hobbes in an attempt to guilt trip me), I can't imagine the hellish nightmare that are his dms. And that's not including the weirdos drawing his portraits or doing his tattoos. The memes he get must be the cream of the crop in that mailbox

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ymgve posted:

I requested it today, but yeah, I suspect I may have missed the boat on that one. And with that few staff left, the next outage may be its last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/YHd6zXr.mp4