Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

are there any SFF chassis that allow a lot of 3.5" internal storage? do like a fractal 7 mini chassis but with a "storage layout", where you just stack in 3.5" drive trays on a rail in the front and have the intake fans blow over them.

Cerberus X actually has pretty good capacity if you just fill it with drive trays, but, they don't explicitly say a capacity. But that's more or less what I'm talking about, an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

or are there any alternatives to U-NAS 800/400 series yet, that scratch that QNAP/Synology itch for hotswap miniservers? Other than the tragically-:downs: Silverstone DS380 or whatever, that is?

not really at the front but the Fractal Design Node 804 basically has a ton of drives (looks like it holds 10) hanging from the top. it's matx tho, and probably out of production. there are some cases that hold 2/3 3.5" drives like the Silverstone Sugo but you're not really gonna find anything smaller to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

or are there any alternatives to U-NAS 800/400 series yet, that scratch that QNAP/Synology itch for hotswap miniservers? Other than the tragically-:downs: Silverstone DS380 or whatever, that is?
Well... there's the Silverstone CS330

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fractal Design Node 304 maybe. It can hold six, so not bad. Hot swapping would be annoying though if you really want that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wrt modern GPU sizes in SFF cases I feel like the SFF and custom loop water cooling crews will overlap more and more. The PCB sizes haven't increased much, so if you can get rid of the huge air cooler in favor of a water block it would make things easier to fit. Obviously now you need to find space for tubing and a chunky radiator instead, but AIOs are already commonplace and cases are made to accommodate them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

are there any SFF chassis that allow a lot of 3.5" internal storage? do like a fractal 7 mini chassis but with a "storage layout", where you just stack in 3.5" drive trays on a rail in the front and have the intake fans blow over them.

Cerberus X actually has pretty good capacity if you just fill it with drive trays, but, they don't explicitly say a capacity. But that's more or less what I'm talking about, an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

I was going to suggest the Silverstone DS380 until I got to the last part of your post. I have two of them, and think they're pretty neat. It's really ridiculous how few choices there are.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jonsbo N1 might be another good option if you don’t need the PCIe slot and it’s gonna be out where its seen.

I personally rigged up a Meshlicious with 4 3.5in drives and 2 2.5in, but it takes some work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Who do you guys like for custom cabling? I've got to redo my NR200 setup and figured I might as well do that while I'm at it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HalloKitty posted:

I was going to suggest the Silverstone DS380 until I got to the last part of your post. I have two of them, and think they're pretty neat. It's really ridiculous how few choices there are.

Did you have to do some fancy/makeshift shroud work to get good airflow over your drives? I remember reading about all this fun a while back.

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Meshilicious. No joke. Someone on Reddit has 3d printer files for a 9 drive NAS.

The drives need to be done in 3s, I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comm...utm_name=iossmf

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VulgarandStupid posted:

Meshilicious. No joke. Someone on Reddit has 3d printer files for a 9 drive NAS.

It's funny, he can wedge 9x 3.5" drives in there, and I went and backed off my planned build of a meshlicious + custom water cooled loop.

Ended up going matx in a fractal design meshify 2 mini. I feel like a sinner.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Enos Cabell posted:

Who do you guys like for custom cabling? I've got to redo my NR200 setup and figured I might as well do that while I'm at it.

pslate customs is more or less the guy for custom cables in SFF

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VulgarandStupid posted:

Dude's making my 4x 3.5 build look certifiably scrub tier, but i wanted to save the space for a 280mm rad and a 10gbe network card on a riser. Really gotta get access to a 3d printer someday, my library still doesnt have one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Wrt modern GPU sizes in SFF cases I feel like the SFF and custom loop water cooling crews will overlap more and more. The PCB sizes haven't increased much, so if you can get rid of the huge air cooler in favor of a water block it would make things easier to fit. Obviously now you need to find space for tubing and a chunky radiator instead, but AIOs are already commonplace and cases are made to accommodate them.

Part of me thinks a "hotrod" style case that essentially has the option to mount an external radiator could be a cool design. Kinda splitting the difference between the compact air cooling cases and the "open concept" test-bench style cases.

While I was testing my Ncase build, I had the bottom radiator sticking out the side for a while, which was novel if a bit irritating.

denereal visease posted:

pslate customs is more or less the guy for custom cables in SFF

Seconded. They have pre-measured lengths based on your case/PSU/motherboard combo, and if you're into more wild things their customer service will happily draw up a quote for whatever nutty wiring scheme you can pitch them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Moey posted:

Did you have to do some fancy/makeshift shroud work to get good airflow over your drives? I remember reading about all this fun a while back.

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

It was something I was aware of before I bought the case, but I feel the problem is a bit overblown depending on the use case. I admittedly only use mine for backups, so they're not always running, but if you used UnRAID, only the drive you're reading from needs to be spinning (writing being different of course), so that would help a great deal with temps.

I actually run mine with a passively cooled Atom C3338 (board: A2SDi-2C-HLN4F) and that thing never gets hot.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 7, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Here’s a frustratingly vague question:

My 12700K/4090 in a Corsair 4000D is more or less silent when gaming save for the GPU fan, which isn’t loud. The CPU (with an NH-D15) generally stays under 60c. Can you get the same sort of performance out of SFFs in terms of both thermals and noise or does something have to give (i.e. does keeping temperatures low mean that the case needs to have maximum ventilation so any noise gets out)?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
depends how small you wanna go and how much money/effort you wanna spend on making additional improvements (thin/small fans all over the place, custom ducting, deshroud mods, more destructive mods), but that's generally the set of tradeoffs involved in the hobby. i think it's straightforward to get down to about 25L (about half the interior volume of a mid tower) with virtually no noticeable tradeoffs and then you start making decisions about what's important. a lot of people pick 20L as the line where sff starts, and by that point you're definitely in the range where something has to give, but what has to give is like, half an hour of tweaking voltage settings and fan curves one time, die temps up a bit but still well below tjmax, fans a few degrees louder, minor stuff like that. so for example afaik the 4090 runs reasonably cool and quiet since most models have fairly robust cooling, so you could probably just set the fan curves to tolerate higher die temps and be fine. it's true that cases tend to be fairly open, but that's also what seems to be the optimal way to cool a mid tower as well: high airflow mesh lets more noise out but the improved cooling means less noise is generated to begin with. in the 10-20L range there's a whole lot of things that can be done like liquid cooling, liquid metal, aforementioned ducting, lots of small fans, expensive fans, more intense voltage and clock tweaking, etc. going down below 10L, there's not nearly as much space for most measures, generally you're looking at a flex-atx psu and low profile air cooling, and this part of the game is all about picking efficient parts that can perform at the level you want with low power draw

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Thanks for the detailed answer. My tolerance for fiddling about with settings is lower than it used to be so I'll probably aim for about 25L in the new year unless the supposedly Nvidia FE-friendly design of that upcoming DAN case does the business.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Can I get some feedback on this build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CKvR6r

It's been a while since I planned a build so my biases and assumptions about manufacturers are several years old. This is barely within my budget, but I'd like it to be cheaper. Don't see many obvious places to scrimp except for maybe a smaller SSD and half the RAM.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

It's been a while since I planned a build so my biases and assumptions about manufacturers are several years old. This is barely within my budget, but I'd like it to be cheaper. Don't see many obvious places to scrimp except for maybe a smaller SSD and half the RAM.

If this is going to be a dGPU-less build, then I'd go with a different case since the Meshlicious is built with a discrete graphics card and CPU water cooling in mind. If a dGPU is going in here, then I'd get a regular 5600 over the 5600G. They cost about the same right now, except the regular 5600 is actually faster. And you will want a couple case fans on the front for exhaust.

You should probably stick with DDR4-3200 CL16, seeing as you can save $20 - $30 that way and the performance difference won't be noticeable. And don't get a 980 Pro if money is tight. It's an excellent SSD, but you can also get some pretty good drives for cheaper. Like the 1TB Solidigm P41 Plus for $60 (Solidigm is formerly Intel's flash division, now owned by SK Hynix). Get the Corsair's SF600 gold PSU instead of the platinum one to save $20. You can save nearly $90 just by swapping those three components. You can save even more by picking up the Cooler Master V650 SFX PSU instead, which is supposedly a pretty decent power supply (that comes with a 10-year warranty), though I've heard the fan profile can be a little annoying on it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

1) As far as I can tell, that motherboard doesn't support BIOS flashback. I'm not sure if you can still get BIOS revisions that won't support the 5600G, but it's something to keep in mind, especially if you don't have a spare AM4 CPU on hand.

2) The PSU is overkill unless you're looking to add a GPU down the line. Going down to SF450 Gold/Plat would save around 20-30$. You can also get a quality ATX PSU for even less and since you're not running a AIO cooler or a GPU, it should fit the Meshlicious fine*

*anyone actually using the case feel free to pitch in, I'm going off second hand information.

3) SSD would be the other place to save money. If you're not going to be doing file transfers constantly, you won't notice the difference between a PCIE 4.0 drive and a decent PCIE 3.0 drive in daily use.

Going for a smaller case is not a bad idea, I wouldn't downgrade the memory if you care about the iGPU performance though.

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

If you're set on an APU build, you can use the Inwin Chopin, which comes with a power supply.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is great feedback, thanks. That Inwin case looks good, but I'd really like space for a 3.5" HDD. The Meshlicious wasn't obscenely big, but smaller is better. Any suggestions for a small rear end case for an APU build that can also handle a 3.5" HDD?

Edit: Or I finally pull the trigger on a NAS

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 16, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think you could get it in a Silverstone Milo 10 which is 3.7L. Eighty bucks. Requires an external PSU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fractal Design finally released a successor to the Node 202, after 7 long years: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/ridge/ridge/white/

Looks like a pretty good console-style case. It's a bit on the warm side according to the TechPowerUp review, though the thermals aren't out of control or anything. The porosity of the ventilation areas seems pretty low, with more solid material than open air. It still seems solid though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 18, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That looks extremely hot goddamn.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That case looks great and I'd totally buy it for a living room build.

Edit: Only $130 with the PCI-E riser, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 18, 2022

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd buy it for living room use except my cats love to claw and chew on mesh and foam type materials so it'd be on the floor in about a day, tops. I don't have speaker grilles and have to protect the isolating foam for my speakers because of these gremlins and I have to be careful about the speakers bought still because without a grill the exposed cone can't be one of the paper cone types either because one cat has a thing against cardboard and paper and destroys it upon realizing it's a wood pulp product.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That is a beautiful case

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fractal Design finally released a successor to the Node 202, after 7 long years: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/ridge/ridge/white/

Looks like a pretty good console-style case. It's a bit on the warm side according to the TechPowerUp review, though the thermals aren't out of control or anything. The porosity of the ventilation areas seems pretty low, with more solid material than open air. It still seems solid though.

Yeaaaaah, my next build is definitely going to be in that case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What air cooler should I be looking at if I were to build around stuffing a 12th gen Core i9 into that Fractal Ridge? Spec sheet says the max CPU height is 70mm; that seems pretty generous for such a slim looking case, so I should have decent options yeah?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

What air cooler should I be looking at if I were to build around stuffing a 12th gen Core i9 into that Fractal Ridge? Spec sheet says the max CPU height is 70mm; that seems pretty generous for such a slim looking case, so I should have decent options yeah?

Noctua L12S, Scythe BS3 and AXP 120-X67 are all good options but you'll have to set a sane power limit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Noctua L12S, Scythe BS3 and AXP 120-X67 are all good options but you'll have to set a sane power limit.

Would it be sane to hardcap the power limit to 125W? At that point would it better to just get a 12th gen i7?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Why 12th gen at all if you haven't bought it yet? Isn't 13th gen more power efficient?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

repiv posted:

Why 12th gen at all if you haven't bought it yet? Isn't 13th gen more power efficient?

Not for me, trying to budget for my brother after showing him that Ridge case since he said he wants a new PC around Christmas time. 12th gen is a fair bit cheaper at the local Microcenter and I thought I read Raptor Lake isn't as power efficient as Alder Lake? Also runs hotter?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Not for me, trying to budget for my brother after showing him that Ridge case since he said he wants a new PC around Christmas time. 12th gen is a fair bit cheaper at the local Microcenter and I thought I read Raptor Lake isn't as power efficient as Alder Lake? Also runs hotter?

Raptor Lake's a good deal more efficient, definitely worth going with a 13700k (or even 13600k if the system's mostly for gaming) over a 12900k.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

teagone posted:

13600k is runs cooler and has better power efficiency. In that if you set a power target and don't expect it to go full bore 5.1ghz all the time, it's gonna run cooler with less power draw than the 12600k. Both 12th and 13th gen use the same motherboard chipsets (except the 13th which can use the z790 and others) with ddr4 or ddr5. Unless you are getting a nice bundled deal, the 13th gen is a better buy. Problem with microcenter is that they never have a large variety of itx boards, and add to the fact that the itx choices for 12th gen and 13th gen is very lack luster.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 19, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Raptor Lake's a good deal more efficient, definitely worth going with a 13700k (or even 13600k if the system's mostly for gaming) over a 12900k.

ughhhh posted:

13600k is runs cooler and has better power efficiency. Both 12th and 13th gen use the same motherboard chipsets (except the 13th which can use the z790 and others) with ddr4 or ddr5. Unless you are getting a nice bundled deal, the 13th gen is a better buy.

Got it, thanks. It'll be used for 1440p gaming (believe he secured a 3070 or 3080 Ti FE, not sure), but will also be used more for running sneaker bots since my brother is a sneaker head. I'm not sure how CPU intensive those are, but I'm guessing the more threads the better?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 13700K by default pulls as much power as the 12900K did, so you still have to power limit that, and at that point you may as well just get a 13600K instead. You can limit that to 125W (a pretty small reduction in its stock power draw), and it will run happily under a L12S, I'd bet.

edit: I have no idea what a sneaker bot is, but if it's just a purchasing bot, then it can't be that demanding, can it?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Personally I think with this generation of CPUs available for consumers there really isn't any reason to get something beyond a 13600k or a AMD equivalent unless you are doing some crazy machine learning or heavy duty editing work. Plus the gains from the higher skews of cpu is also from pumping crazy amounts of power through the chips it doesn't make sense for sff builds or even consumer PC.

It's a great time to buy a CPU, but not a great time for gpus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: I have no idea what a sneaker bot is, but if it's just a purchasing bot, then it can't be that demanding, can it?

I honestly have no idea either, but he told me that's what he mainly uses the current PC I built him* for. He said he runs 3 bots at the same time usually on his PC, but wants to run more "tasks" -- right now he runs 3 instances across 3 different PCs (his current PC, and two remote servers), but wants to completely consolidate that workload locally and told me a new CPU will let him do that... I just don't know which CPU lol.

*It has a Ryzen 7 5800X, which I guess isn't enough to run 3 sneaker bot instances? I dunno, lol. I'm chatting with him now trying to figure things out.

[edit] Ok so he told me the developer of the bots he using says an 8 core CPU with 64GB of RAM (which my brother has) is good to run 20 of these tasks. But my brother wants to run 40 or more tasks on one PC instead of spreading them out over the two remote servers... :shrug:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 19, 2022