Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

accenture stuff

I vaguely remember accenture was andersen consulting back in the day, but changed their name because of the associate with arthur andersen and the enron fiasco but they still used the ac.com domain. Anyway too bad they need to censure cp and beheadings on facebook now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DaveWoo posted:

I think this sums up what's most likely to happen with Twitter:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1593608165488312320

It's not going to fail overnight, but it is going to enter a downward spiral until it winds up becoming something closer to Parler or Truth Social.

it will make money by not paying everyone's salaries, duh

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

DaveWoo posted:

It's not going to fail overnight, but it is going to enter a downward spiral until it winds up becoming something closer to Parler or Truth Social.

IMO: It's already there, it's just more popular because it historically isn't one of the terminally online CHUDbrain lookalikes

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I think a slow bleed-out until it's nothing but Musk chuds and glitchy services nobody uses is a more satisfying death than for the site to just go offline one day.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Decon posted:

Nothing underpins recruiter culture like the proud founder of a recruitment website talking poo poo about how many employees google has and all but explicitly advocating for the tech field to lay people off en masse.

Also, "I am very smart" says guy insistent that everything is fine on a website known to have massive traffic during the World Cup... 2 days before the World Cup.

lovely recruiters have two goals, suppress the wages of the people they're recruiting and make the class of people they recruit feel like frauds so that the recruiter can insert themselves into the hiring process. In that context, this post makes sense.

I think it's because companies will pay contract bonuses for getting a good hire who accepts a low-ball pay offer.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Here’s my official prediction.

Some big twitter feature will go down. Something noticeable by normal users, like the blocking button not working. Some massive account like Stephen King will tweet at Elon, “hey why isn’t this basic feature not working?” Elon will respond “we are looking into it”

Behind the scenes, Elon is getting heated. Nobody knows what to do. Even his most suck up lackies are telling him they need a week to figure out how the feature works. Elon doesn’t believe them (narcissistic managers think everything is easy) and gets madder and madder. Especially when that week turns into two or three.

The public comments at Elon about this which he has to respond to because he can’t stop loving tweeting. He starts blaming the codebase, old engineers, retweets or agrees with someone going “wow I guess old Woke Twitter really made some poo poo code, liberals can’t even make a website” with a few cry laugh emojis

All the while more features are starting to not work and the site starts really chugging. More engineers silently leave. Most users stop posting when it takes >1 minute to load a profile. Power users begin actually signing off not soon after. The end.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Some big twitter feature will go down. Something noticeable by normal users, like blocking not adding new users to the list. Some massive account like Stephen King will tweet at Elon, “hey why isn’t this basic feature not working?” Elon will respond “we are looking into it”

Behind the scenes, Elon is getting heated. Nobody knows what to do. Even his most suck up lackies are telling him they need a week to figure out how the feature works. Elon doesn’t believe them and gets madder and madder. Especially when that week turns into two or three.

The public comments at Elon about this which he has to respond to because he can’t stop loving tweeting. He starts blaming the codebase, old engineers, retweets or agrees with someone going “wow I guess old Woke Twitter really made some poo poo code, liberals can’t even make a website” with a few cry laugh emojis

All the while more features are starting to not work and the site starts really chugging. Most users stop posting when it takes >1 minute to load a profile. Power users begin actually signing off not soon after. The end.

Just as long as someone sends goatse to Elon before it gets shut down, this will all be worth it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Gimme the keys to Tesla and gently caress off to St. Petersberg, Elon

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Do people not forgot how Twitter crashed every day for years on end? That poo poo is gonna break so fast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

That was my prediction when Elon had the sink, but now I think we're looking at a hard crash. An outage that brings the whole system down for days, possibly weeks. And even if they can get the site back up, they can't keep it stable. If a Twitter comes back from that techpocalypse, it'll be a very different beast than what it is now, possibly a low feature recreation from scratch only running on AWS. And they'll have trouble pulling users because everyone moved on, possibly to other Twitter clones that pop up in the next few months all struggling to reach the critical mass of users that will make them the real replacement. And for actual Twitter, no advertiser will touch it with a ten foot pole and there will be nothing left.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Withnail posted:

I vaguely remember accenture was andersen consulting back in the day, but changed their name because of the associate with arthur andersen and the enron fiasco but they still used the ac.com domain. Anyway too bad they need to censure cp and beheadings on facebook now

I remember the Andersons.
"Hi, pay us a million and we'll replace your crappy old system with a bespoke, expensive crappy system that is so overly-complicated that you'll be paying us forever to keep it running and add new features and train people in the voodoo required to use it."

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

wedgie deliverer posted:

Do people not forgot how Twitter crashed every day for years on end? That poo poo is gonna break so fast.

It’s a lot better than it used to be because they hired some of the leading experts in each field, especially infrastructure, around a decade ago.

Honestly the fact that Twitter does everything themselves, on site, and hasn’t gone down much at all for the last few years is a testament to the quality of the code.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Behind the scenes, Elon is getting heated. Nobody knows what to do. Even his most suck up lackies are telling him they need a week to figure out how the feature works. Elon doesn’t believe them (narcissistic managers think everything is easy) and gets madder and madder. Especially when that week turns into two or three.

I worked for a guy like this once.
Boss: "Stop whatever you're doing, I need you to add this new feature at once!"
Me: "Okay. Well, there's a lot of work to do. I can probably get a prototype working with the basic features in about two weeks and we can discuss it further then."
Boss: "Great! Get started."

Six hours later that same day -
Boss: "WHY ISN'T THIS FINISHED YET?" :argh:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember the Fail Whale? When was the last time you saw that? Twitter is pretty robust now; the plates that were spun by experts still have a good amount of balance and inertia to them. But systems this complex are not at a stable equilibrium, and one of those plates will teeter and no one left will know what amount of force is necessary to keep it perched on its pole.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I think a slow bleed-out until it's nothing but Musk chuds and glitchy services nobody uses is a more satisfying death than for the site to just go offline one day.

Nah, its going to be funny when they can't bring it back up and get really desperate. The only unfortunate thing is we won't see Elon Musk breaking down live when he realizes he actually made Twitter complete worthless in less than a month and before he could even put a fall guy in place.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

wedgie deliverer posted:

That was when the site was coded in Ruby On Rails, a language and framework that were notorious for being easy to prototype and launch a site, but difficult to maintain and scale to millions of users. From what I understand, there is not much of that code left.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/kejames/status/1593497948868034560

lmao

the slow death of twitter bringing some great content

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Remember the Fail Whale? When was the last time you saw that? Twitter is pretty robust now; the plates that were spun by experts still have a good amount of balance and inertia to them. But systems this complex are not at a stable equilibrium, and one of those plates will teeter and no one left will know what amount of force is necessary to keep it perched on its pole.

Somewhere in a Twitter datacenter, a butterfly flaps its wings.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
So are tweets ultimately served up to end users via a non-Twitter CDN or something? Something that would survive, even if stale, when some critical cert expires or the ransomware attack happens?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

So are tweets ultimately served up to end users via a non-Twitter CDN or something? Something that would survive, even if stale, when some critical cert expires or the ransomware attack happens?

The API authentication presumably happens on Twitter controlled servers, so there is no telling how long a CDN could allow the site to stay up in a read only format.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kw0134 posted:

Remember the Fail Whale? When was the last time you saw that?

To be fair they retired the fail whale a long time ago so even if there's an issue now you won't see it.

But yes also they did only retire it when they'd reached reliability levels that nobody would notice it was gone. They celebrated reaching that point by commissioning the success loch ness.

And now they're all gone and all that work is being undone by an immature manchild with apartheid emerald mine money.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 18, 2022

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, its going to be funny when they can't bring it back up and get really desperate. The only unfortunate thing is we won't see Elon Musk breaking down live when he realizes he actually made Twitter complete worthless in less than a month and before he could even put a fall guy in place.

Maybe they’ll make a static status.Twitter.com page for Elon to live update. The man can’t not tweet. Though without his reply guys it would definitely give off empty room vibes

The Postman
May 12, 2007

why isn't dril acting CEO yet

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

explosivo posted:

Someone else mentioned it already but Twitter going away is hilarious and good but it's going to leave a huge void for easily disseminating information to the general public both foreign and domestically. Stuff like organizing civil rights protests or basically the entire Ukraine/Russia war up to this point. I'm not going to go to Tumblr for live reactions of Ukrainians taking over tanks and that kind of thing. I dunno, just been thinking about how non-English speaking Twitter has been handling all this lately.
The Ukraine thread was weird to me because of how reliant it is on twitter feeds. I didn't even know how to read a twitter thread until putin's 2022 invasion. Why don't they just use a different medium like a forum so they don't have to truncate everything they want to say? Why do all these people keep posting these supposedly newsworthy tweets that don't link to any source article? I'm supposed to take this random twitter dude's word for what's really happening in Ukraine? Apparently some of them were legit sources and turned out to be reliable over time but like how would I know any of that? Random dude on the internet says something I want to believe so I should believe it's true? I mostly get my news from Salon.
:cloud:

Twitter is speedrunning the trainwreck category and it's making for some :five: content. Sure twitter can rise from it's ashes to run a post-finale season but it'll be a husk of it's former self just like livejournal, myspace, and tumblr.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, Musk saddled Twitter with like 15 billion in debt, right? What is the timeline for repaying that, and what happens when they cant?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Sure hope thwarting that guy who was posting your airplane's flight paths was worth it, Elon.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Haystack posted:

So, Musk saddled Twitter with like 15 billion in debt, right? What is the timeline for repaying that, and what happens when they cant?

Do saudis cut your hands off if you don’t pay em back

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

I heard or read Twitter is going to have to pay 1b/y towards their debt

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

explosivo posted:

Someone else mentioned it already but Twitter going away is hilarious and good but it's going to leave a huge void for easily disseminating information to the general public both foreign and domestically. Stuff like organizing civil rights protests or basically the entire Ukraine/Russia war up to this point. I'm not going to go to Tumblr for live reactions of Ukrainians taking over tanks and that kind of thing. I dunno, just been thinking about how non-English speaking Twitter has been handling all this lately.

sorry from now on breaking news and press conferences only in tiktoks and bereals

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Twitter's infrastructure is mostly bespoke, complicated, fast, and importantly, almost all on premises.

https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale

if you read through the article, they are on the cutting edge and twitter uses a lot of engineered solutions to have their data be really fast.

So much so that they have a kernel team, and their own solutions impressed Intel.

https://twitter.com/danluu/status/1592774269733601281

Of course the entire team and also the entire teams that built all the solutions were fired. It's not going to be an easy fix and since this is not a 'regular website' that runs on AWS.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

not mine, but a friend from Discord made it when they got bored at work

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It always seems bullshit to me that you can buy a company and saddle it with all the debt.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
What's the difference between a Tesla and Musk's Twitter?

The people inside of Twitter can still get out as it burns to the ground.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Postman posted:

why isn't dril acting CEO yet

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

theghostpt posted:

https://twitter.com/kejames/status/1593497948868034560

lmao

the slow death of twitter bringing some great content

I know horny is prohibited but humina humina humina

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

HKS posted:

Twitter's infrastructure is mostly bespoke, complicated, fast, and importantly, almost all on premises.

https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale

if you read through the article, they are on the cutting edge and twitter uses a lot of engineered solutions to have their data be really fast.

So much so that they have a kernel team, and their own solutions impressed Intel.

Of course the entire team and also the entire teams that built all the solutions were fired. It's not going to be an easy fix and since this is not a 'regular website' that runs on AWS.

Its authors should sue the poo poo out of Musk when he starts to wind back to sneeze about it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Haystack posted:

real answer tech industry valuations crash more than they already have been

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Tiny Faye posted:

Do saudis cut your hands off if you don’t pay em back

What are you going to do, bonesaw me?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

HKS posted:

Jeez just migrate twitter to Square Space and use one of those 10% off codes, how hard could it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Some big twitter feature will go down. Something noticeable by normal users, like the blocking button not working. Some massive account like Stephen King will tweet at Elon, “hey why isn’t this basic feature not working?” Elon will respond “we are looking into it”

All the while more features are starting to not work and the site starts really chugging. More engineers silently leave. Most users stop posting when it takes >1 minute to load a profile. Power users begin actually signing off not soon after. The end.

This seems very plausible and I hope it happens 😂