Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Remember that scene in Beetlejuice where Geena Davis is trying really hard to be scary enough to have the new family move out, so she stretches her mouth super big and it's full of teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really, really do not like the way Jarrek's face randomly elongates.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Skippy McPants posted:

it's like he saw a compliment on the scene where he turns into like a hosed up half-Loup to physically intimidate Robot and said "So this is what the posters crave"

I love a shapeshifting bitch as much as the next person but it's been downhill since that page

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

yo does the author really think we're not thinking about the loving tooth every time a loup page comes up?

we want the guy to die. maybe it would right the ship. we know about the tooth.
Oh there's ships happening but there's no righting them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a metaphor :wink:

Lol you're never getting that out of your head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s got a long face

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Gunnerkrigg Court: I would like to stop looking at Loup now

can we please make this the actual title

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
this thread has a Tony version somewhere but it's just as applicable

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

worm girl posted:

can we please make this the actual title

Gunnerkrigg Court: The Face Thinens (and Longens)

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: The Face Thinens (and Longens)

haha gently caress please don't do this one, even if the comic got good again, the thread could never recover

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

GunnerJ posted:

Hey didn't this chapter start with Zimmy? What was that about??

That was us, the readers, sensing the writing change for the (even) worse.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
The change was the narrative focus. :doh:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Cavatica posted:

Remember that scene in Beetlejuice where Geena Davis is trying really hard to be scary enough to have the new family move out, so she stretches her mouth super big and it's full of teeth?

That's what it reminded me of, too, yeah!

The more this scene continues the more I wish it had been an original, separate story from GC, I'm actually liking these two idiots interact but not at the cost of the plot and characters they are time dilating away.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Whenever Loup isn't on the screen, all the characters should be asking, "Where's Loup?"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cavatica posted:

lmao nailed it

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
That one plot thread of "court needs a ton of power for unknown reason to vaguely "become gods"" and it being an ether-snare/sapper for trying to straight up...borrow some power from Coyote (?) way way way long ago could be considered resolving now, in an odd turn of events.

The Ether Plant tried to take the ether out of the rain/clouds, to be collected in a way that Zimmy says is wrong, causing that entire bad trip for Zimmy and Annie, way back when Jones was present in the comic.

The one-shot-only attempt at using the Ether Plant towers/pylons had a legitimate "oh no we poked it with a stick" level of world devastation. Can't harness the power of a god you -don't- know, right? And on a technicality, Loup is now arguably a different enough entity that it wouldn't affect him. I posit the chance that the tooth-blade was a 5d chess sort of thing: have Annie mercy kill him. It's wild card enough to be plausible for Coyote, pre-death. Loup doesn't want to die, so of course, obvious duel scene at worlds end or something.

Speaking of: Where does that leave the court with their friends on the other side of the Star Ocean? I'd imagine part of the "no, no ether, -ever-" bit might have come about from the rapid change in the world in the...god, is it six months since the canyon walls got crushed together. The Omega Machine doesn't work, giving distorted inaccurate results, and that might be unpleasant for trans-dimensional transportation, since you have to walk through the portal, and it's a one-time only exodus. I mean, the very first thing that kind of jumped into my mind when I re-read that bit, it sounds less like a new world and more like, well, the Psi-Gate without a destination. The offer to leave is to leave everything, including all traces that person walking through existed.

(I think that's what Tom wanted bismuth-crystal-suit person on the other side meant, anyways)

On a happier note, have a pretty cool comic of what I'm assuming is the earliest abstract form of Gunnerkrigg Court, with the line in the sand literally being Annan Waters. It's so weird seeing Renard, Coyote, and Ysengrin all together like that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i miss him so much

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

When did Zim Grim come out? It'd be interesting to see the thread's reaction to it. A lot of it was a little abstract to me. I'm sure that's the point, but some is obviously open to interpretation.

also lmao going from a page like this to this newspaper comic rear end poo poo

what is going on :negative:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Tiny Myers posted:

When did Zim Grim come out? It'd be interesting to see the thread's reaction to it. A lot of it was a little abstract to me. I'm sure that's the point, but some is obviously open to interpretation.

also lmao going from a page like this to this newspaper comic rear end poo poo

what is going on :negative:

That face she's making in the middle panel is unnerving the hell out of me for reasons I'm not quite sure of.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agaragon posted:

That face she's making in the middle panel is unnerving the hell out of me for reasons I'm not quite sure of.
Her eyes are off centre and she's staring into your soul.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's because you're seeing from Loup's POV which is so accursed of a concept that you've taken psyche damage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Splicer posted:

The eyes are also drawn exactly like those in early 00s era flash animation series "Neurotically Yours" which is enough to disturb anyone.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Quite a bit, too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Potsticker posted:

Quite a bit, too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Agaragon posted:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Is this another flag for She Is Coyote Too / Goose Wife?

Because being madly in love and realizing it was a lie is the kind of cruel plot twist that might make ego-driven Loup want to die, right?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh God once you see the asymmetry of the eyes you really can't unsee it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tom pls fix this art.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Agaragon posted:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Annointed posted:

Tom pls fix this art.

tom just retire

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe she only read badly drawn manga and did her face wrong on purpose.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

I would unironically love it if there was a detail like that, whether it was for her or another robot side character. As it is, I'm always a bit wishy-washy on art criticisms because I can never pinpoint why something looks wrong. Lana, however has had at least 6 different nose shapes and I have no idea if that's on purpose.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
She's an artificial human, right? So it's just the uncanny valley effect in character form.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Maybe Lana only read bad webcomics and Loup is taking cues from her because she's goosewife so thus Loup is also acting like a bad webcomic character

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cavatica posted:

As it is, I'm always a bit wishy-washy on art criticisms because I can never pinpoint why something looks wrong. Lana, however has had at least 6 different nose shapes and I have no idea if that's on purpose.

Tom has always had issues with certain aspects of drawing, especially in character faces. And while I feel fine drawing on the art to illustrate the issue with Lana's face, I don't think his art is particularly bad in general. Even when these issues pop up it seems more prominent when he's be drawing new perspectives or trying not to draw everyone with the same head shape or facial features.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh, I dunno. It's very easy for art mistakes to slip by, especially in a long form comic like this one. And someone committed to a strict schedule is likely to need to rush panels/pages from time to time and that's probably what's happening here.

Like yeah the face is off-putting but I don't think it's fair to declare it as a sign that Tom's art is in some inevitable decline or whatever. I don't think anatomy has ever been his strong point anyways, which is fine.

There's plenty of bad storytelling choices to discuss that are more important than a few wonky eyes imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my problem with their faces is I’m seeing too much of them

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

my problem with their faces is I’m seeing too much of them

Unironically yes, this is the problem. These issues aren't new, but typically they'd be accompanied by like... something happening, or us actually caring about the characters and the conversations they're having. Instead, we've gotten almost 40(!) panels of two characters who we don't really care about cuddling and chatting at various angles, and not really broken up by anything else visually except for Loup doing an xray vision on her at the start or pulling a Beetlejuice.

This isn't great for a comic. Comics are visual mediums, which is what sets them apart from, you know, books, and they're meant to be interesting and engaging to look at. There will naturally be segments where characters have to engage in long conversations, but typically you'd want to break it up with like, at the very least, a flashback shot of Annie receiving the tooth, or a visual of the Tooth itself. You could even just reuse the art from those chapters and put a filter over it! Even the most recent panel with Coyote, the most visually interesting and visual-boundary-breaking character in the comic, just has a tiny generic profile shot of him over top of Jerrek's face.

Go ahead and compare this chapter to, say, the conversation at the end of The Stone. Notice how many panels have the characters moving around and doing things, or shots of something that isn't their faces, even though they're ultimately sitting in a room exchanging information.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1113

But while it's not great cartooning, it still wouldn't really be a problem... if we actually cared about what they were saying. But their conversation is largely a recap of information we already know ("Coyote wants Loup to die, Coyote gave Annie a tooth, Annie will kill Loup with it") or a boring revelation being pounded into our skull (we do not need more than one page of "lana and loup wuv each other very much"). The only real interesting part (at least imo) has been seeing 1. Loup has, on his own, figured out that Annie has to kill him with the tooth 2. Loup doesn't doubt that he will want to die after understanding Coyote's plan, and is choosing to willfully avoid it to pursue life's pleasures.

This entire scene could've been cut down to 2 or 3 pages instead of 7. But without anything to look at (interesting panels) or anything to learn (interesting dialogue), our attention instead naturally wanders and focuses on all the little errors - things that weren't really a problem before because what was on screen was otherwise compelling in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah what have we learned over these SEVEN pages? They're in love, they kissed, maybe Loup doesn't want to carry out coyote's plan. Everything else we already knew, and honestly "they kissed" could have just been shown when establishing "they're in love" so this easily could have been two pages, probably even just one.

E: you know it's funny, with how much it feels like Tom is rushing through plot beats, there's an awful lot of "why is this being stretched out so long? This could easily be condensed down"

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 22, 2022