Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

qbert posted:

IIRC the A80K has a semi-matte screen which is why it looks slightly less bright than the A80J, which is glossy.

Sony tends to have better motion processing of the major brands but I don't know if that's enough of a difference to pick it over other things like brightness and other features. You'll probably be happy with any of those 3 models, just pick based on what feature you prioritize in a TV.

FWIW, in the 55" size that OldSenileGuy was asking about, the A80J has a matte finish screen (at least mine does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah I believe it's the 77" a80/90j that are glossy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
so i bought a LG OLED C2 55" but i dont have money for blinds/drapes

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

just close your eyes

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

qbert posted:

IIRC the A80K has a semi-matte screen which is why it looks slightly less bright than the A80J, which is glossy.

Sony tends to have better motion processing of the major brands but I don't know if that's enough of a difference to pick it over other things like brightness and other features. You'll probably be happy with any of those 3 models, just pick based on what feature you prioritize in a TV.

I've been looking at the C2 a lot too, and supposedly it has like a 'Cinema' mode for motion interpolation that's supposed to help with low framerate material without going full blown Soap Opera Effect. No idea how true that actually is though, but it was something I was considering.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Palladium posted:

Tape aluminum foil over all your windows

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Number_6 posted:

FWIW, in the 55" size that OldSenileGuy was asking about, the A80J has a matte finish screen (at least mine does).

Google Butt posted:

Yeah I believe it's the 77" a80/90j that are glossy.

Is the LG C2 screen (and the C8 for that matter) glossy? I guess I actually need to haul my rear end to the store to check these out in person.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Looking at getting a second 55" TV primarily to play games with the kid. Not fast paced fps games. More like animal crossing. This room doesn't have bright direct sunlight. I'm stuck between a Hisense a6h or u6h. The u6h is currently $40 more than the a6h on Amazon. Or any other recommendations for under $400.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've been looking at the C2 a lot too, and supposedly it has like a 'Cinema' mode for motion interpolation that's supposed to help with low framerate material without going full blown Soap Opera Effect. No idea how true that actually is though, but it was something I was considering.

I too hate Soap Opera Effect and I still use the Cinematic Movement setting on my C1 and it’s been great. I just wanted to reduce the stuttering during panning shots without it looking like video and I think it accomplishes it great.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah the Sony and LG both have low motion smoothing options useful for removing judder from panning shots at 24 FPS. The newest James Bond movie and Encanto both greatly benefit from it. OLED have such fast response times that panning or spinning shots look jarringly bad if you don't enable it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

c355n4 posted:

Looking at getting a second 55" TV primarily to play games with the kid. Not fast paced fps games. More like animal crossing. This room doesn't have bright direct sunlight. I'm stuck between a Hisense a6h or u6h. The u6h is currently $40 more than the a6h on Amazon. Or any other recommendations for under $400.

The u6h will be good for gaming and have more colors. Great budget option for the Switch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It really bugs me that the A80J is the same price as the A80K. It's the older model, it should be cheaper! It would really make my A80J vs A80K vs C2 dilemma that much easier.

Another wrinkle - as I said earlier, I basically locked myself into buying at Best Buy because they were the only ones that offer a warranty that covers burn-in. But I've done some more research, and found out that apparently the LG "G" line (so the G2) also comes with a 5-year warranty that supposedly covers burn in? Has anyone actually successfully had them fix/replace one for that reason? I ask because everything I've found says that the language in the new warranty suggests or implies that it covers burn-in, but i haven't heard it actually confirmed anywhere.

Though I guess the Best Buy one is still better - the LG one would only get me a replacement, whereas by all accounts, the Best Buy one gets you the price of the TV refunded to put towards a new TV.

EDIT: Best Buy says the current price for the LG C2 is their "Black Friday" price. Does anyone know if, historically, that's accurate? Or can I expect an even lower price or maybe something else bundled-in if I wait until actual Black Friday weekend?

EDIT2: Doin' lots of posting 'bout TV's today - was kind of surprised to see that Wirecutter's new "recommended" OLED is the Samsung S95B, maybe because I don't see that TV discussed much around here. Then I looked into it a bit more and was pretty shocked to see that TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision? Don't see how that can be their #1 recommendation if it doesn't even support the most popular (?) HDR format. Makes me wonder if some money is changing hands behind the scenes.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just wait for BF, the 77" a80j was a shocking $2100 on prime day, which I don't think anyone saw coming.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT2: Doin' lots of posting 'bout TV's today - was kind of surprised to see that Wirecutter's new "recommended" OLED is the Samsung S95B, maybe because I don't see that TV discussed much around here. Then I looked into it a bit more and was pretty shocked to see that TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision? Don't see how that can be their #1 recommendation if it doesn't even support the most popular (?) HDR format. Makes me wonder if some money is changing hands behind the scenes.

No Samsung TV supports Dolby Vision because they don't want to pay Dolby and they figure since they're the biggest TV seller, they don't need it.

The S95B is so highly recommended because it uses new QD-OLED technology, which is brighter than any other OLED tech currently being used. Only the S95B and Sony's new A95K use QD-OLED, and they're considered the two best TVs on the market right now (the A95K is much more expensive). Downside is it's only available in 55" and 65" sizes currently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Palladium posted:

Go to walmart and get some cheap curtains there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plastidip your windows.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

It really bugs me that the A80J is the same price as the A80K. It's the older model, it should be cheaper! It would really make my A80J vs A80K vs C2 dilemma that much easier.

Ha, after all my agonizing and hemming and hawing and finally landing on the C2.....I just pulled the trigger on the A80J. Best Buy just dropped it to $999, and since this TV is replacing a TV I wasn't really planning on replacing for another couple years, the lure of being $300 cheaper for what's like 95% the same TV was too great. Hope I like it!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i bought a tv from costco in early september. they recently discounted it by $400 for their black friday sale. obviously i would like to pay $400 less for the tv. plus, given costco's generous 90-day return policy, i figured i could call and ask them to adjust the price so that i don't have to a) return the thing for the original price and b) buy a new one and c) dismantle the thing and d) install a new one.

well, they wouldn't do that. so i've gone ahead and ordered a new one. it arrives thursday. my question is this: do i have to return that older one i've been using for 2.5 months, or can i just return the one i'm receiving thursday, unopened and boxed nicely, and say that was the one from 2.5 months ago?

i really don't want to deal with taking apart the current one and reinstalling a new one. i'll do it if i have to, but it seems like such a waste. and like, wouldn't they want a newer one that's packaged properly? i do not have the boxes for the older one. if they ask for a reason why it wasn't unpacked, i can just say we never got around to using it because it just didn't work in our office or something benign.

i guess my worry is they might track the tv by serial number and realize the tv i'm giving them is a newer one and not refund me the price of the older one. that seems like a stretch, but...maybe not?

anyone done something similar?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If anyone is looking for a small OLED, Best Buy has the 42" LG C2 on sale for $899 right now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If anyone is looking for a small OLED, Best Buy has the 42" LG C2 on sale for $899 right now.

Oh god drat it, I've been trying not to get one as a desktop monitor replacement but that price is getting to be too tempting.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The LG 48" OLED monitor (48GQ900-B) is also $999 -- $949 with Prime cash back. I've been tempted.

edit: whoops, thought this was the monitor thread, my bad.

KS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 15, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Oh god drat it, I've been trying not to get one as a desktop monitor replacement but that price is getting to be too tempting.

Yeah, I'm like 50/50 on picking it up at this price. My big hangup is I can't use it immediately, I'm kinda redoing my office (well, that implies I actually started on the project which I haven't) and I really wanted to prototype how I would incorporate a 42" monitor on the desk with my two 27" monitors.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm like 50/50 on picking it up at this price. My big hangup is I can't use it immediately, I'm kinda redoing my office (well, that implies I actually started on the project which I haven't) and I really wanted to prototype how I would incorporate a 42" monitor on the desk with my two 27" monitors.

Hah, pretty much same here. I've currently got a 32" and two 27" 1440p screens on my desk, trying to figure out if a 42" and one 27" secondary would even work in this space. I can't go back to using a single screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Hah, pretty much same here. I've currently got a 32" and two 27" 1440p screens on my desk, trying to figure out if a 42" and one 27" secondary would even work in this space. I can't go back to using a single screen.

I have plans to get an 80" desk and what I would ideally want to do is mount the 42" on an arm in the center and then flank it on either side with 27" also on arms.

This is also my work from home setup and in my mind what I would have happen is raise the 42" above the two 27" for work during the day and slide the two 27" side by side in the center and then when I want to use my gaming PC, put both 27" to the side and bring the 42" down. It seems to work in my head, but I think I'm overestimating the articulation range of the mounts to allow that to happen. Another alternative would be to do a drop down mount to the wall and have it mounted in the high position and then drop down for use. Hence the reason why I really want to prototype it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

abelwingnut posted:

anyone done something similar?

This is for Korean CostCo, and not US. Here all returns of this nature work like this. I have to go in, buy a new product that’s current only sale, bring it directly to the returns desk and ask them to refund the old one bought at the non-sale price. We did it last week for sponges.

If they don’t do it for you I’d be surprised. If they give you any resistance just ask for a manager.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I dunno if this right place to ask but I just got a new Samsung QN85QN90. It has a “recent” feature on the Home Screen that when that recent is the ps5, turns on the PlayStatio every time you go to the Home Screen. Googling around looks like I can turn off remote start up in the ps5, but can I get the tv to stop asking it to turn on instead?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not really because that means disabling CEC

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ha, after all my agonizing and hemming and hawing and finally landing on the C2.....I just pulled the trigger on the A80J. Best Buy just dropped it to $999, and since this TV is replacing a TV I wasn't really planning on replacing for another couple years, the lure of being $300 cheaper for what's like 95% the same TV was too great. Hope I like it!

Ok, just posting this now to help out anyone else that might be trying to make the same decision -

I think I'm gonna be returning the A80J. The first thing I did upon setting it up was head over to AVSForums to see what the recommended picture settings were, and the very first post is from some calibration dude that says to turn off Dolby Vision on this tv because it isn't implemented well. WTF. That's really something I wish I would have seen before I bought the drat thing because that would have been disqualifying.

However, I know that sometimes the AVSForum people can approach audiophile levels of crazy, so I moved forward with DV turned on and watched the TV. Sadly, I don't think they were wrong about the TV's poor implementation of DV. I watched the first 5 episodes of the ATV+ show "Bad Sisters" on my old LG C8 and didn't notice any issues. I watched the rest of the show on the A80J, and was frequently noticing wild swings in brightness, contrast, and saturation from shot to shot within the same scene. I tried many different settings, and while some were better than others, none made the issue go away entirely.

If you're interested in a deeper dive on this, you can check out my posts on the last couple pages of this thread at AVSForum:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-sony-a80j-oled-settings-tips-gaming-and-advanced-discussion-thread.3208007/page-264

And if anyone here has the A80J and watches DV content on it AND has ATV+, I would be interested in hearing them watch Bad Sisters, Season 01, Episode 08, around 38:30 into the episode. That whole bathroom scene is a good example of the shifts in brightness/contrast within the same scene that I'm seeing.

It's a shame because SDR content looks great, but I'm sure it'll look great on the C2 as well.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 18, 2022

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ok, just posting this now to help out anyone else that might be trying to make the same decision -

I think I'm gonna be returning the A80J. The first thing I did upon setting it up was head over to AVSForums to see what the recommended picture settings were, and the very first post is from some calibration dude that says to turn off Dolby Vision on this tv because it isn't implemented well. WTF. That's really something I wish I would have seen before I bought the drat thing because that would have been disqualifying.

However, I know that sometimes the AVSForum people can approach audiophile levels of crazy, so I moved forward with DV turned on and watched the TV. Sadly, I don't think they were wrong about the TV's poor implementation of DV. I watched the first 5 episodes of the ATV+ show "Bad Sisters" on my old LG C8 and didn't notice any issues. I watched the rest of the show on the A80J, and was frequently noticing wild swings in brightness, contrast, and saturation from shot to shot within the same scene. I tried many different settings, and while some were better than others, none made the issue go away entirely.

If you're interested in a deeper dive on this, you can check out my posts on the last couple pages of this thread at AVSForum:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-sony-a80j-oled-settings-tips-gaming-and-advanced-discussion-thread.3208007/page-264

And if anyone here has the A80J and watches DV content on it AND has ATV+, I would be interested in hearing them watch Bad Sisters, Season 01, Episode 08, around 38:30 into the episode. That whole bathroom scene is a good example of the shifts in brightness/contrast within the same scene that I'm seeing.

It's a shame because SDR content looks great, but I'm sure it'll look great on the C2 as well.

I think Dolby Vision Dark used to have issues in certain apps (I saw a lot of complaints about Disney+, for example), but a combination of app updates and firmware updates fixed all of those issues, afaik, months ago. I watch Dolby Vision content using Plex, Disney+, and HBO Max without any issues, but I am using the apps on the TV, not a separate box. I don't know much about the Apple boxes, but I know that despite the Nvidia Shield Pro being recommended for DV content, it only supports like three of the seven different types of DV profiles. I haven't had any DV issues, even when streaming huge uncompressed UHD rips with Dolby Vision profiles from my desktop.

I would recommend signing into the Apple app on the TV itself and trying the same scene. It's also worth nothing that each app and each input has its own separate picture settings, so just because you turned DV on in one app doesn't mean it's now on for the other apps. It took me some time to fine tune settings for 4 apps, OTA TV, a Nintendo Switch, and HDMI to my PC's GPU. Hilariously, the Apple TV UI is so bright that it's the only time I have ever seen any image retention on the panel.

One of the older issues with the software was with how it applied tone mapping after enabling/disabling DV. By habit, if I change the picture settings to either DV Bright or DV Dark, I also scroll down to disable tone mapping and re-enable it. This depends entirely on whether the content I'm watching has scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame DV mapping and may not be the right(tm) way to do it, but I am happy with the results. I disable it on frame-by-frame grading.

My advice is to grab whatever apps you might use off the Play Store, go into the main TV settings and under the account section, toggle it to apps-only mode. When you hit the Input button on your remote, you can then go to the + box and add whatever apps you use directly to the input button. You can disable apps-only mode again if you need to install something else and toggle back when you're done. At the very least, this gets rid of the bulk of the ads if you hit the Apps button on the remote. I never personally use the apps button, since I have all of my used apps in that menu.

If you have your TV connected to wifi (not ethernet, as they cheaped out and put a 100 Mbit ethernet adapter in the TV), be sure to check the bonus offer app on the TV and open up Bravia Core. There are a handful of movies there (Hook, Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2, and a few others at the moment) that are free to stream without burning through one of your 5 vouchers. Again, since it's a different app, you'll have default picture settings. I think those movies might have the "IMAX Enhanced" profile enabled, too. You need ~120 Mbps+ internet access and I think there's a specific PureStream toggle in the settings you will want to enable. If your ISP has data caps, ignore this entirely because you are going to burn through tons of data.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 18, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

I set mine up using the rtings settings, and I like it a lot but it's my first oled. That being said I got such a sick rear end deal on it this wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. Maybe watch top gun Maverick and report back though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know the Apple TV 4k has had a LOT of DV bugs over the past few years.

It has a lot of bugs in general.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm an insane person so I set up my old LG C8 next to the new A80J and hooked up Apple TV's to both of them to really compare.

In SDR and HDR10 they're VERY close. I might give a slight edge to the A80J but that might just be subconscious bias because I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning this TV. But if the Dolby Vision was also this close, I wouldn't be returning the TV at all.

The Dolby Vision playback is pretty different. The A80J just doesn't seem to get as bright as the LG. Which is very strange, because the LG is a nearly 5 year old TV and the A80J is only one year old (though the panel is brand new.) Additionally, i only have the OLED Light on the LG set to 50 (out of 100), whereas the A80J is set to max. If I set the LG to max, it's MUCH brighter.

Would the OLED Break-In period affect the brightness of the new TV or does that only affect uniformity of the panel? I only have 50 or so hours on the new TV, so I'm wondering how long I should give it before making any decisions.

EDIT: On the A80J, I'm using Dolby Vision Dark, no tone mapping.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 19, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my biggest issue with my a80j is that dolby vision disables game mode, so i either have to not use dv (which is what ive done) or switch it off manually every time i want to play a game (gently caress that)
it also has trouble talking to my receiver (marantz 1608) and auto lip sync doesnt work at all, it stays at 0ms forever. i have it manually adjusted to like 290ms or something and somehow it still feels slightly off depending on what i'm watching.

less of an issue is that when using the earc port i would get random audio cutouts that last anywhere from 100ms or so to like 2 seconds, and display corruption that is most often just a flash of a garbled image for a few frames. took me a while to figure that one out. luckily i dont use earc so i just had to swap to hdmi 4 instead of 3.

kinda wish i had just kept my vizio c3 for a few more years.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 20, 2022

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09QPVCV8Q
The 65" TCL 65R646 (Google TV version not Roku) hit $700 on Amazon which is pretty darn cool. I got it a month ago for $800 after missing the U8h deal to replace a busted good ol' KS8000 and for half the price of that Samsung I've been loving it. The interface has been snappy enough that though not perfect I've been using it instead of the Shield that's plugged in cause the TV has a newer version of Android it seems with some nice perks, and just making sure it's using all the right codecs/formats the right way. It's not an OLED upgrade for sure, but I just wanted something price effective cause I was still happy with the KS8000 and have been pleased that it's still a noticeable upgrade having newer TV tech. Like dimming zones, I was trying to compare how many zones the TCL has vs the old Sammy and lol the KS8000 didn't have local dimming period.
Stuck with built in speakers for now and Rtings happened to say this was their #1 rated built in sound quality TV, and ya know it's not terrible. Like it is bad, but sounds a ton better than the last one and with some EQ help kind of sounds acceptable and will totally get us by for a while till we figure out where to put external sound in that room. Had to turn a bunch of stuff off like every audio/video setting cause there were some auto "intelligent" settings one for audio one for video where it was just a toggle like hey would you like me to make whatever you're doing have the best settings? And I said yeahh sweet! But no, it was all motion smoothing and 'surround' EQ grossness so still had to just go through a ton of menus and set everything plain and natural. I guess the Tom Cruise PSA hasn't caught on yet. Motion looks different from the last TV and I think it's mostly better cause the old got really smeary in panning shots where new one is a lot more consistent on smoothness and I guess frame delivery I would call it, but I need to quadruple check if the motion smoothing is all 100% off cause I swear I do but still sometimes looks a little too smooth, but I also might be getting really messed up from watching new LotR show that may be playing at the 40-something higher framerate.
Cool TV.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cryptoclastic posted:

This is for Korean CostCo, and not US. Here all returns of this nature work like this. I have to go in, buy a new product that’s current only sale, bring it directly to the returns desk and ask them to refund the old one bought at the non-sale price. We did it last week for sponges.

If they don’t do it for you I’d be surprised. If they give you any resistance just ask for a manager.

yep, just did it here in arizona. no questions whatsoever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how would an a95k handle a living room with this level of brightness?

No I won’t be getting darker curtains. But I am either going to wall mount whatever new tv I get on the wall where the framed jersey currently is OR put a new entertainment console in front of the middle window in the first photo and just put it on that.

Though the former feels kind of claustrophobic but maybe Id get used to it. The couch is about 7 feet from the wall here. It can’t be much further back because there’s a door behind it. Is it enough distance for a 65”?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It'll handle it fine, but you shouldn't sully it by putting it in the home of a filthy Pats fan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'd probably partially reflect that Brady Cum Shrine and decide to self-terminate out of shame.

Distance-wise I think 7 is a little close but still good.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 20, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Sports are fun and I will enjoy watching Brady play in top of the line 4k upscaling :colbert:

But more to the point, god drat I wish the a95k had a 77” but that’s not happening until probably next summer and I bet it’ll be 5 grand easy.

Would it make sense to go for a larger x95k mini led so bright lightning isn’t a big deal anymore and I get the larger screen? Everything I read about the x95k is bizarrely contradicting and it seems that the disconnect is that the 85” panel is the only really good one, so much so it’s almost a different tv.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

How often do you step and spill that coffee?