Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Elon Musk after 13 hours of intense code review:

OK who can tell me what "include" means?

"Wait, this 'include' thing includes other things! I need to see screenshots of all of those, too!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I love that his solution to hate speech is hellbanning lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wait he’s putting it into writing “we are allowing hate speech?” That’s like a pharmacy saying they’ll sell drugs out the back door to anyone but don’t worry buyers won’t get in store reward points.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

temple posted:

Twitter might glitch and go down for a bit but the goal isn't kill it. The goal is to monetize it. Elon wants to cut expenses and then put a premium on poo poo posting. The $8 verification is the latter and the firings is the former. He probably didn't expect 90% employee loss but he's the type to brag about gutting a business for efficiency sake. Paying for access could work, somethingawful does it. He'll pay to retain/rehire who he needs based on what breaks. I can see other companies doing something similar in the future. If the recession is deep enough, its probably a reality. Twitter was just the first major player to sell. But once a site sells, the userbase isn't a value in of itself, it will be coerced into being consumers.

Many companies Musking their platforms would turn the commercial internet back into what it was when Something Awful started: a curiosity for affluent libertarian nerds that exists commensally on top of, and essentially at the mercy of, a state/military data infrastructure. The careers of most of the world's computer touchers will be destroyed, most of the ones left will work for :nsa:. Countries outside the US sphere of influence would have no reason to make any of their poo poo interoperable with the internet at all and just have their own national/regional nets (or just go back to filing cabinets and fax machines). Maybe some people would think that's a good thing, but it would be the end of the internet as we know it.

And for that reason, it won't happen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hey, they weren’t banned for being Nazis.

There was also the rampant transphobia

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ronya posted:

allegedly the whole emails:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-remaining-twitter-coders-engineers-email-2022-11

crash course in scaling problems incoming

Me, after spending $44 billion to buy a company and eliminating 90% of the headcount:

"I'd like to understand our tech stack"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oh god yes please unban Trump before everything comes crashing down

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure making explicit nazi poo poo accessible, even if you have to go looking for it, makes Germany (among others) really loving litigious. So that should be fun.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress they couldn't even make an original joke, how Babylon Bee of them.

A rare miss from the BeeElon

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

kazil posted:

That would probably finish it off, having to deal with a billion russian like-bots instantly responding all at once.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Freedom from reacharound

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Every time I start to feel sorry for the twitter employees I remember something horrible that they are responsible for. Like that time in 2020 when all the open intersex people were hounded off the site and ate permabans by terfs and a complicit mod team.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo :lol:

I'm sure advertisers are THRILLED at this decision

He really is the gestalt conciousness of every moron to ever inhabit the chan sites, with a Dunning Kruger complex and an ungodly amount of money.

There is a part of me that feels like crashing Twitter is some money laundering scheme, but honestly he just seems hopelessly stupid and Presidential.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kazil posted:

The best part is Trump probably won't come back because that would be tantamount to admitting that his own dumb network is a failure

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Now this is some salient code

code:

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
	long i;
	float x2, y;
	const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
	y  = number;
	i  = * ( long * ) &y;                       // evil floating point bit level hacking
	i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the gently caress? 
	y  = * ( float * ) &i;
	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 1st iteration
//	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

<html>
<head>
<title>Hire me, Elon!</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>1337 haX0r!</h1>
</body>
</html>

No css because that’s like new age tech for me

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Rust Martialis posted:

Isn't it

COPY TWITTER.BAS LPT1:

That's probably more efficient. You're more hardcore than me. Welcome to Twitter!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Making an environment predominantly supportive of a very stupid, larcenous, and high liability puny minority to the ire of the stark majority sure seems like a good idea

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Beefed Owl posted:

That's just interest Twitter has to pay a billion dollars in interest every year that doesn't even knock down the principle balance

Twitter never made a billion dollars in a year not even close.

I’m guessing you mean profit? Because they had revenue of $5B last year and were on track for ~$4B this year. They had a couple decent years of over $1B in net profit but last 2 had losses in the hundreds of millions. So you’re right that it will be quite a lift to staunch the bleeding AND pay off that interest.

Twitter is fairly big in terms of revenue imo, just small compared to other tech giants like FAANG.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scratch Monkey posted:

The best part is Trump probably won't come back because that would be tantamount to admitting that his own dumb network is a failure

He'd be back in a heartbeat. He'll just say it's a bigger success than any other social media platform ever created while spending his whole time on Twitter.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Trump gets a lot of trainwreck rubbernecking reblogs, sadly thats most of his appeal

TulliusCicero posted:

He really is the gestalt conciousness of every moron to ever inhabit the chan sites, with a Dunning Kruger complex and an ungodly amount of money.

There is a part of me that feels like crashing Twitter is some money laundering scheme, but honestly he just seems hopelessly stupid and Presidential.

Crypto is in fact a huge money laundering scheme op

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Catastrophe posted:

All of these weirdos coming out of the woodwork to proclaim that this was all Elon's grand plan all along and everything is going perfectly because he's just playing 4D chess.

I THINK I've heard that kind of delusional sentiment about someone before but I can't really place my finger on where... hmm.....

I think you're gaslighting yourself if you think elon/trump supporters are trolling by saying twitter might not die

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

learnincurve posted:

Every time I start to feel sorry for the twitter employees I remember something horrible that they are responsible for. Like that time in 2020 when all the open intersex people were hounded off the site and ate permabans by terfs and a complicit mod team.

What's this now? I don't really use Twitter so I hadn't heard about this

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TulliusCicero posted:

can't piss off your advertisers if you don't have advertisers :elonthink:

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

What's the difference between max deboosted and demonetized and the shadowbanning that they were all crying about before?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Starting to think this guy might just be on to something :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Murdstone posted:

I love that his solution to hate speech is hellbanning lol
Isn't this "solution" literally what all the non-banned nazis were complaining about before he took over? How they were "shadowbanned" and nobody could supposedly see their tweets? I thought Elon believed in free speech!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Very curious as to how he'll define what's a negative/hate tweet.

....Not that it matters, as they definitely don't have the capacity to moderate jack poo poo at this point.

Edit: Wait I got it it, a hate tweet will be anything that sends the little simps crying to @elonmusk.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 18, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Quid posted:

What's the difference between max deboosted and demonetized and the shadowbanning that they were all crying about before?
What the hell was that shadowbanning? Was it just that they put something in the algorithm so that literally sieg heiling at all times didn't jump to the top and get 14.88k automatic likes?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Quid posted:

Shadowban is when you’re the only one seeing your tweets. Deboosting is pushing your replies and tweets to the very end of a thread and hiding it under “click to see more” or some variation of a warning that says this content is poo poo/dangerous/etc. im completely deboosted and if I reply to an Elon Tweet, I get 4 impressions in a span of like two weeks.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1593662005231099909

I’m starting to think Elon actually thinks everything is just fine and losing all critical infra teams is no big deal, let’s do feature work

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Quid posted:

I didn't even think about that :psyduck:

holy poo poo he actually made their impact worse than it was on old Twitter

Now they really are being censored by the algorithm: genius :allears:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
The worlds richest man still out here stealing memes, what a pathetic piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1593474356696428544?s=20&t=ISHw6FhICnzwEBwoqexhww

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pixaal posted:

Discord is IRC web 2.0 gotta kill that first.

How can we get Elon to buy it?

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Frank Frank posted:

...and don't you loving DARE expense your coach class redeye ticket with 3 layovers

How? And to who? Those people and departments probably all got fired!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

StrangersInTheNight posted:

What's this now? I don't really use Twitter so I hadn't heard about this

Terfs were attacking Caster Semenya during lockdown, hundreds of intersex people posted "excuse me no stop this you terfy scumbags" and they got mass reported by bots paid for by the Christian right and auto banned, none of them won appeals with humans even though they had said literally nothing worthy of a ban. It was all just a way of removing those posts from the site. Intersex woman named Dory kept coming back on new accounts to try to expose what was going on and kept eating bans for ban evasion.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1593662005231099909

I’m starting to think Elon actually thinks everything is just fine and losing all critical infra teams is no big deal, let’s do feature work

Twitter holding one by a thread in regards to staffing and they decide to move into social video, a market that is both saturated and very expensive to compete in.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Well at least the BART is there to help

https://twitter.com/SFBART/status/1593678469120282624

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

is he intentionally misspelling the names of Kathy Griffin and Jordan Peterson so that later on he can say "lol i said kathie and jorden not kathy and jordan [crying face emoji]"

or is he just a stupid idiot