Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At the manufacturing company I worked for, a solid 70% of the folks didn't have AD accounts. Not much reason to do AD integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

At the manufacturing company I worked for, a solid 70% of the folks didn't have AD accounts. Not much reason to do AD integration.

The only times I've ever had to was stuff like disabling workstation access without badging in for high security locations or (more likely, in this case) situations where they want to keep track of who is working in the office vs remote*.

*I implemented this to help a company figure out who is unnecessarily demanding desks in the office without using them, not to punish employees for not coming in.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Post the tweet that got you banned, coward.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

KillHour posted:

Post the tweet that got you banned, coward.

Clipped

No it's not very creative but I know if I'm an engineer somewhere right now I would hate dealing with strings like that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cr0y posted:

Clipped

No it's not very creative but I know if I'm an engineer somewhere right now I would hate dealing with strings like that

I'm not sure why you think that would do anything. "Dumb bitch" alone would get that tweet blocked automatically with the absolute simplest content analysis and I assure you, Twitter has world-class content analysis algorithms (or they did a month ago). As a literal database engineer, I'm laughing at the thought of that being an issue.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure why you think that would do anything. "Dumb bitch" alone would get that tweet blocked automatically with the absolute simplest content analysis and I assure you, Twitter has world-class content analysis algorithms (or they did a month ago). As a literal database engineer, I'm laughing at the thought of that being an issue.

I'm assuming the algorithms took the severance as well

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

I used to tweet “fat orange bitch” at Trump on a nightly basis and never got suspended

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

In cspam empty quotes are customary, like greeting an old friend

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

navyjack posted:

I used to tweet “fat orange bitch” at Trump on a nightly basis and never got suspended

Incredible that they made a website that let you do that and he would see it and they made it free

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Rumor is upwards of 75% of those remaining said “nope, I’m done.”

Apparently some departments hit 100%. Including the one department that will be gasoline for this dumpster fire. Payroll.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lmfao if the people who stayed stop getting paid

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thomamelas posted:

Apparently some departments hit 100%. Including the one department that will be gasoline for this dumpster fire. Payroll.

Lmao

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TIL that our industrial switches will cycle link on a port when you enable bandwidth monitoring on it.

I did this on one of the main SCADA <> PLC network interfaces, at 9:30am :downs:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Had a first round interview with a company today and it went well (although they are offering on the lower end of what I would want), but then I got this and just :lol:

This is mad. You're supposed to do a POC and then sell it as well as building your own marketing collateral to put a pitch deck together? What job role is all of those things outside of self-employed consultant keeping all the money for themselves?

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

More on the badge access drama.

Bah, hornswaggled!

Independence fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fairly sure that's someone doing a bit, but it's quite funny

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a joke

there's a ton of jokes circulating, it's creating a decent cloud of noise

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If only there was some method of dependably determining who was and wasn't a Twitter employee. Some kind of verification system...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

This is mad. You're supposed to do a POC and then sell it as well as building your own marketing collateral to put a pitch deck together? What job role is all of those things outside of self-employed consultant keeping all the money for themselves?

A sales engineer would be expected to do all of that, and I've been a sales engineer before so it's nothing I haven't done. I've also done every one of those things as a not-self-employed consultant trying to expand a footprint working with sales. It's a hell of a lot of work though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Have an interview with a manufacturing company Monday. I want this role. Yes it's 100% on site, but manufacturing is my bread and butter. And it pays 15k more than the MSP.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You got this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Fool posted:

You got this

Appreciate that. I'm told they're calling all my references today. Apparently my ex-boss put in a great word for me to their IT manager. It's 100% on site but the pay is extremely solid.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like a perfect fit. Good luck, goon!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Appreciate that. I'm told they're calling all my references today. Apparently my ex-boss put in a great word for me to their IT manager. It's 100% on site but the pay is extremely solid.

They're calling the references before the interview? Isn't that usually done after, just before making an offer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Volguus posted:

They're calling the references before the interview? Isn't that usually done after, just before making an offer?

Yeah apparently!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Our built in updater works perfectly... If the user has administrator access when it's run. :downsbravo:

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Been on a call for 3 hours with a customer because our app is somehow forcing an HTTP connection for SSO but the client's Azure AD frontdoor doesn't accept it and no one seems to know what to do so there's probably been like 2 hours of silence while people just try random things.

I need to get out of customer support...

Edit: Feel like today is like those commercials good for tweaking my Indeed or LinkedIn.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 18, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

GreenNight posted:

Yeah apparently!

Either you've already got the job or this is a really loving weird company. Reference checks before an interview should be a flag of reddish color.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Does anyone here have experience working with 'loaner' laptops? I do internal corporate IT and we have a handful that we give out to people to use for whatever reason. My boss wants some automated or semi-automated solutions for 1) wiping laptops between users and 2) physically tracking them out in the field (eg via GPS). Any suggestions? Apologies if I'm not explaining this well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

johnny park posted:

Does anyone here have experience working with 'loaner' laptops? I do internal corporate IT and we have a handful that we give out to people to use for whatever reason. My boss wants some automated or semi-automated solutions for 1) wiping laptops between users and 2) physically tracking them out in the field (eg via GPS). Any suggestions? Apologies if I'm not explaining this well

1. Should be able to use the same imaging process you use for your main fleet, maybe different config/ image if its going to be used by non-employees. No need to reinvent the wheel.

2. Just don't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

johnny park posted:

1) wiping laptops between users

If you really want to do this, you can check out Deep Freeze. https://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze

Just have some way of dealing with users who want to save data and not lose it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

johnny park posted:

For the sake of liability and or legal issues I'd probably archive the drive somehow in between uses.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thomamelas posted:

Per NY Times, Twitter also no longer has a communications department. It's down to 0 people apparently.

johnny park posted:

The way I have seen this implemented at F500 orgs, yes loaner laptops are common. Same or similar image like the other poster said. You should be able to set up a semi automated workflow if you have Service Now or equivalent. GPS tracking, never seen that (at least disclosed in an obvious way), would very much dislike it, and there may be legal issues.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 18, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tracking gets weird. And hard. And it's unreliable. And it doesn't stop a thief from reimaging a system or selling it anyway.

Use Bitlocker, good passwords, and proper policy management from AD or Intune and you can mitigate the risk of data disclosure by physical theft fairly well.

Reuse your existing deployment stack, maybe with a tweak here and there to make your clean travel systems meet the specific need that necessitates a clean system in the first place. Often, that need stems from uncertainty that international travel places on data governance/sovereignty. For example, for a defense contractor a long time ago, I once set up a different OU/GPO set that prevented things like mail and offline files from caching. A foreign state would thus be less likely to access data if the laptop was opened at a border and a password was compelled. Sometimes the threat was state surveillance methods used by, let's say, the UAE or China, where network configuration and access to resources from the home data center needed to pass through a much more complex set of controls and some active monitoring.

They following is advice that frankly applies to a lot of situations where a new business need materializes:
The use case is known to your team and the people who think they need this. Start with REALLY getting to know the business need, then proceed from there.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

If you really want to do this, you can check out Deep Freeze. https://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze

Just have some way of dealing with users who want to save data and not lose it.

Thank you. It's made very very clear to our users that these laptops are temporary and that any files they save to the drive WILL be lost. This warning, and other instructions for how to access our normal cloud services are literally set as the desktop background, and they don't login with their normal account, but rather with the laptop's 'loaner' account. I'll check out Deep Freeze. He doesn't want to image them (mainly because our deployment kinda sucks and it's time-consuming).

As for location tracking, I will relay to my boss that there may be legal issues with that to consider. Thanks all.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

johnny park posted:

. He doesn't want to image them (mainly because our deployment kinda sucks and it's time-consuming).

This is the first thing you need to fix

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

NY Times has had several great articles last few days on rounding up Musk antics, here's the latest. All are gonna be paywalled but you can easily use bypass services if you want, I like being a stan for them because their reporting is top notch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/technology/elon-musk-twitter-workers-quit.html

The New York Times posted:

One worker who wanted to resign said she had spent two days looking for her manager, whose identity she no longer knew because so many people had quit in the days beforehand. After finally finding her direct supervisor, she tendered her resignation. The next day, her supervisor also quit.

Others were spending hours trying to track down which teams they were on. Some said they were asked to oversee duties they had never handled before.

The changes were occurring in a near total information vacuum internally, employees said. Twitter’s internal communications staff has been laid off or left and workers said they were looking outward for information from media articles. Mr. Musk has increasingly downplayed the role of traditional media over the past few months, citing Twitter as one of the best platforms for the rise in “citizen journalism,” as he put it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Inner Light posted:

NY Times has had several great articles last few days on rounding up Musk antics, here's the latest. All are gonna be paywalled but you can easily use bypass services if you want, I like being a stan for them because their reporting is top notch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/technology/elon-musk-twitter-workers-quit.html

Why would you even try to quit if there’s no clear structure of control? Rake in money until someone asks you why you’re doing jack poo poo. At that point you’ve found the person to tell you you’re quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

johnny park posted:

Thank you. It's made very very clear to our users that these laptops are temporary and that any files they save to the drive WILL be lost. This warning, and other instructions for how to access our normal cloud services are literally set as the desktop background, and they don't login with their normal account, but rather with the laptop's 'loaner' account. I'll check out Deep Freeze. He doesn't want to image them (mainly because our deployment kinda sucks and it's time-consuming).

As for location tracking, I will relay to my boss that there may be legal issues with that to consider. Thanks all.

If you're happy for things to be lost every session then you could look at using mandatory profiles on the device

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/legacy/bb776895(v=vs.85)

I agree with The Iron Rose though, get your regular imaging/deployment workflow sorted and then treat loan laptops like any other device.