Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Nope, can't imagine why firearms are the leading cause of death for children and adolescence in the US.
Obviously we made cars too safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

kntfkr posted:

Death by freedom.

:patriot:
:911:
:fsmug:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Obviously we made cars too safe.

nature finds a way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/student-shot-in-classroom-after-indiana-deputys-gun-discharges/2999636/?amp=1

I have to say I would agree that we need a good guy with a gun to stop these bad guys

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hundreds-of-elementary-students-arrested-at-us-schools/#app

quote:

U.S.
Handcuffs in Hallways: Hundreds of elementary students arrested at U.S. schools

By Chris Hacker, Aparna Zalani, Jose Sanchez, Stephen Stock

November 15, 2022 / 8:08 AM / CBS News

"Don't make a wrong move," the officer said as he pinned the struggling subject to the ground. "Period." 

The officer tightened the handcuffs around the subject's thin wrists. 

"Ow, ow, ow, it really hurts," the subject exclaimed. 

The officer pressed his weight into the subject's small body while school staff watched it all unfold. The person he was restraining was 7 years old. 

"If you, my friend, are not acquainted with the juvenile justice system, you will be very shortly," the officer told the child. 

U.S.
Handcuffs in Hallways: Hundreds of elementary students arrested at U.S. schools

By Chris Hacker, Aparna Zalani, Jose Sanchez, Stephen Stock

November 15, 2022 / 8:08 AM / CBS News

"Don't make a wrong move," the officer said as he pinned the struggling subject to the ground. "Period." 

The officer tightened the handcuffs around the subject's thin wrists. 

"Ow, ow, ow, it really hurts," the subject exclaimed. 

The officer pressed his weight into the subject's small body while school staff watched it all unfold. The person he was restraining was 7 years old. 

"If you, my friend, are not acquainted with the juvenile justice system, you will be very shortly," the officer told the child. 

Earlier that day, the child allegedly spit at a teacher. Now, he was in handcuffs and a police officer was saying he could end up in jail. 

That child — a second grader with autism at a North Carolina school — was ultimately pinned on the floor for 38 minutes, according to body camera video of the incident. At one point, court records say, the officer put his knee in the child's back.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My son's getting to kindergarten age and I want to keep him in his expensive daycare for kindergarten even though we can't afford it because he shouldn't have to go to school with pigs. It's not right to have pigs in schools.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
A friend of mine is a high school english teacher and had to get 3 kids pulled from class because they were talking about guns and shooting people.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If I had children I would leave the United States

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tristesse posted:

A friend of mine is a high school english teacher and had to get 3 kids pulled from class because they were talking about guns and shooting people.
Yeah imagine how fun it is to drag parents in and have kids' account monitored because the dumbasses couldn't stop talking about CoD during passing period.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

When you read this article you keep thinking "Well, it can't get worse than this." and then it keeps getting worse.

quote:

SROs who worked with low-income students and students of color "define the threat as students themselves," Kupchik said. "Whereas the SROs who work in wealthier, whiter school areas define the threat as something external that can happen to the children."

"It's an external threat for the more privileged kids," Kupchik said. "As opposed to students in the schools with more students of color, low-income students, where they're seen as the threats themselves."

This is absolutely the only reason we have school pigs. They've already proven their worthlessness over and over again.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah imagine how fun it is to drag parents in and have kids' account monitored because the dumbasses couldn't stop talking about CoD during passing period.

Yeah I graduated a long time ago and I'm pretty sure most of my edgy as gently caress friends would've been expelled under some kind of zero tolerance policy. As it was we all came close thanks to Columbine.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tristesse posted:

Yeah I graduated a long time ago and I'm pretty sure most of my edgy as gently caress friends would've been expelled under some kind of zero tolerance policy. As it was we all came close thanks to Columbine.
i grew up in the country rear end country and got suspended half a day for bringing a decommissioned grenade to school. we had an elderly ex-police chief that used to pull me aside when he saw me to remind me to never call anyone an rear end in a top hat because "you need an rear end in a top hat"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I brought in a Swiss Army knife for show and tell in 3rd grade any my teacher was so excited for me.

Now I'd be shot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tristesse posted:

I had a friend like this but it was the early 2000s. So not just post Columbine but barely five years. I wore a lot of black clothes and was generally angsty so he thought it was funny to yell "Hey [my full name] when are you going to shoot up the school?" in the hallways and on more than one occasion he did this right in front of a teacher. When I was a freshman a group of kids got busted for planning a school shooting. The general consensus is they were just full of poo poo and being edgelord dipshits, they all got expelled but no one went to jail. Even still it was rightfully taken seriously so being in that school and having my dipshit friend yelling that all the time it was a miracle neither of us got in trouble. That absolutely wouldn't fly now.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/student-shot-in-classroom-after-indiana-deputys-gun-discharges/2999636/?amp=1

I have to say I would agree that we need a good guy with a gun to stop these bad guys

it's pretty fuckin hard to ND a revolver. unless you're being an absolute loving dunce. which, goes without saying here

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

People forget that, at least here on the west coast, the reason cops were put in schools to begin with was due to a mass hysteria about gangs and drugs, which also happened to include a lot of thinly-veiled racism. I remember when my high school got it's own cop when I was a sophomore, so like 1986 or so. Everyone was terrified of the Crips and Bloods and crack cocaine, while meanwhile my school was awash in drugs to the point that you knew the student body vice-president was selling acid that day if he was wearing an American flag t-shirt.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Back long before pre-columbine in early high school, I was doing my mad science phase and tried to make an "electromagnet" which at the time, I understood to be a magnet you could make even powerful by sending electricity at it.

So I got the big rear end magnets out of some big rear end 80's speakers totally tearing them down (was better at that part then the putting back together part, but it was learningful), slapping them together, putting them on top of the inside of my locker, wrapping them in copper wire connected to several lantern batteries in series and seeing if it would make a super-mega-magnet.

The little weenie with the locker under mine saw this and asked what it was and I'm like "uhhh... a bomb." Because kids are clever and funny like that. He ran off crying until a few hours later the cops showed up with a dog and made me explain it.

I got a stern talking to about "Just don't say you have a bomb again, ok? Take that stuff home." And that was that.

Why yes, White/Asian affluent neighborhood, why do you ask?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Buce posted:

it's pretty fuckin hard to ND a revolver. unless you're being an absolute loving dunce. which, goes without saying here

Every single time it's an "accidental discharge."

No "negligence or recklessness."

quick edit: also yeah, a revolver (not cocked) has like 5+ pounds of pressure on the trigger.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

People forget that, at least here on the west coast, the reason cops were put in schools to begin with was due to a mass hysteria about gangs and drugs, which also happened to include a lot of thinly-veiled racism. I remember when my high school got it's own cop when I was a sophomore, so like 1986 or so. Everyone was terrified of the Crips and Bloods and crack cocaine, while meanwhile my school was awash in drugs to the point that you knew the student body vice-president was selling acid that day if he was wearing an American flag t-shirt.

Were the cops incredibly stupid or just getting a cut?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

kntfkr posted:

My son's getting to kindergarten age and I want to keep him in his expensive daycare for kindergarten even though we can't afford it because he shouldn't have to go to school with pigs. It's not right to have pigs in schools.

Our daughter turns 1 next week but I'm already mildly concerned about the whole school thing. A friend of mine who lives nearby has a daughter who's been in school a few years and he homeschooled her just because he didn't want her getting traumatised in active shooter drills where they just *pretend* some guy has charged the school with a gun and make them all act it out, but the interesting thing is that he signed up for like this "virtual school" California has, where it's just a state school but 75% online, they just do their classes through the computer so a parent is just kind of nearby to supervise, not doing the teaching, and they meet up once a week for "in person time" (and for COVID, they just stopped that one bit, so stuff barely changed for the kids during COVID). Since it doesn't appear to cost any more than normal school, I am intrigued...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Were the cops incredibly stupid or just getting a cut?

This was a fairly affluent and very white school that had a long history of being not only the flagship of the school district but also a major party school. Putting a single cop into a high school of over 1000 students was more security theater than anything else, a way for them to reassure parents that the rising tide of scary gangs and crack cocaine wouldn't get their special boys and girls. This was in the days D.A.R.E. was still running, which I think was one of the most counter-productive anti-drug programs ever made. They were trying to tell us all these scare stories about drugs that were old hat for a significant number of us.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 19, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Charles Ford posted:

Our daughter turns 1 next week but I'm already mildly concerned about the whole school thing. A friend of mine who lives nearby has a daughter who's been in school a few years and he homeschooled her just because he didn't want her getting traumatised in active shooter drills where they just *pretend* some guy has charged the school with a gun and make them all act it out, but the interesting thing is that he signed up for like this "virtual school" California has, where it's just a state school but 75% online, they just do their classes through the computer so a parent is just kind of nearby to supervise, not doing the teaching, and they meet up once a week for "in person time" (and for COVID, they just stopped that one bit, so stuff barely changed for the kids during COVID). Since it doesn't appear to cost any more than normal school, I am intrigued...
I don't know about this program you are describing but I generally do not think that's the ideal way to educate most kids. You miss out on a lot of interpersonal skills development for one, and for another different people learn differently and for some you can't get that over a computer.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
None of you have shot Capitalism yet, eh?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

lol he asks the cop if he's a tyrant the cop is just like "yep"

Goddamn, she's all tatted up. Lucky for him she didn't "feel threatened" and start shooting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This was a fairly affluent and very white school that had a long history of being not only the flagship of the school district but also a major party school. Putting a single cop into a high school of over 1000 students was more security theater than anything else, a way for them to reassure parents that the rising tide of scary gangs and crack cocaine wouldn't get their special boys and girls. This was in the days D.A.R.E. was still running, which I think was one of the most counter-productive anti-drug programs ever made. They were trying to tell us all these scare stories about drugs that were old hat for a significant number of us.

D.A.R.E. was such a loving joke. Everyone only liked it because it was time off from doing actual school work. I might have talked about this before but the D.A.R.E. officers that came to my school did this whole Blues Brothers routine at a couple fundraising things because I guess they never bothered to watch the movie.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I remember D.A.R.E.

I remember hating it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think what I hated the most was that christawful Cartoon All-Stars movie

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DARE was amazing. They taught us what drugs to ask for and even gave us a shirt to make sure all the drug dealers knew we were cool.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I remember D.A.R.E.

I remember hating it.

i dunno, they told you how every drug worked, and what you shoud try

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i dunno, the told you how every drug worked, and what you shoud try

I don't remember ever being told how a single drug worked.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I think what I hated the most was that christawful Cartoon All-Stars movie

Actually I take this back. What I hated the most was a three-way tie between the awful Cartoon All-Stars movie, the awful Teenaged Flintstones movie, and that stage show with the anti-drug clowns we had to go to every loving year. Did anyone else have to go to that?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't remember ever being told how a single drug worked.

the only two they told me about were Majuania and LSD. Both might kill me, but, I might have a fun time

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

DARE was amazing. They taught us what drugs to ask for and even gave us a shirt to make sure all the drug dealers knew we were cool.

was dare the same as mcgruff the crime dog? I remember that drat dog.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the only two they told me about were Majuania and LSD. Both might kill me, but, I might have a fun time

I only remember them talking about marijuana and possibly cigarettes. I don't even remember if they mentioned any others. Maybe my D.A.R.E was shittier than y'all's.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I only remember them talking about marijuana and possibly cigarettes. I don't even remember if they mentioned any others. Maybe my D.A.R.E was shittier than y'all's.

I still have a dare shirt. It's probably older than most of the people who post in this forum

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
DARE had a weirdly buff Lion as their mascot.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

DARE had a weirdly buff Lion as their mascot.

got the shirt long before that. Use to be a cop mascot

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My brother was one of the first ever "graduates" of the DARE program. I'm 5 years younger than him and my only memory of it was a cop or maybe "Deputy Friendly" (if you guys have those there) telling us how dangerous (and cool) drugs were. They passed around bags of drugs around my elementary class. There was a hole in the cocaine bag and I was terrified. The cop just came over and was like "Whoops" and swept it off my desk. It probably was not real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I will always love DARE for crafting the phrase “drugs and alcohol” because they needed to communicate to their captive audience that one of those two things would eventually be ok to buy.

Can’t have Anheuser-Busch spending that lobbying money trying to shut you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The offshoot of DARE was the CP/CN railway safety stuff. Beyond the "don't gently caress around on the tracks" was the "these are multiple ways about how to derail a trail, causing mayhem and death". Told to teenagers.

To this day I still know many ways to derail a train, disable the brakes, throw the throttle to full, etc.

They could have just stopped at "stay off the tracks or die".