Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
and yet somehow this will not demonstrate to the masses that billionaires are no smarter or more capable than anyone else, they just have enough money to brute force themselves to wins and insulate them from failures. Fingers crossed for a lowtax ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Twitter lasted longer the confederacy, destroyed by an apartheid family.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Posting literal images of text or long strings of tweets as "threads" to get around the character limit is the dumbest thing and the site can't die fast enough, for those and every other reason.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1593649550446628866

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

More on that...
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649356661436417?t=DZbPb0H29rlfOFW1BfVUXg&s=19
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593652897236934656?t=Wh997aMUG9lgPcMfdMQpMQ&s=19

Elon has no fuckin' idea how to run this company.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1593483397283729408?s=46&t=nCF0kiOGmvoyGeAOahpMxA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"Everyone who doesn't attend this meeting will be fired."

"No one can attend the meeting. No one can get into the building. We're having this conversation in the parking lot because even your badge doesn't work."

"EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T ATTEND THIS MEETING WILL BE FIRED."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also, everyone who can write code drop what you're doing

i am sure there is nothing that might attract your attention, say, starting this weekend

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Soonmot posted:

and yet somehow this will not demonstrate to the masses that billionaires are no smarter or more capable than anyone else, they just have enough money to brute force themselves to wins and insulate them from failures. Fingers crossed for a lowtax ending

Pretty much. Already seeing the "this must be on purpose!" cope.

No, folks. Getting rich is mainly luck.

Our economy just makes people basically gods based on random chance and they will in part run your lives.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Pretty much. Already seeing the "this must be on purpose!" cope.

No, folks. Getting rich is mainly luck.

Our economy just makes people basically gods based on random chance and they will in part run your lives.

its not entirely random chance, which goes into why this is happening

elon got to be insanely rich by repeatedly running giant, stupid risks and having all of them pay out perfectly. this is not praise: tons of people do this and by luck it works out for someone, for a while.

right now he's repeating that process and whoops it turns out it was all just basically luck that his terrible company got aquired by paypal, and then his brazen accounting fraud at tesla didn't get caught, and then when he got a pay package that was "if i triple the price of the stock i get like a quarter of it" and managed to do that, and somehow got tesla to be a meme stock enough it got insanely high

then, uh, the d20 stopped rolling natural 20s every time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t forget that it also works a lot better if you start out with a large family fortune. Even fewer people go from a normal-person amount of money to billionaire

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

Don’t forget that it also works a lot better if you start out with a large family fortune. Even fewer people go from a normal-person amount of money to billionaire

Yeah. Best way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

"Everyone who doesn't attend this meeting will be fired."

"No one can attend the meeting. No one can get into the building. We're having this conversation in the parking lot because even your badge doesn't work."

"EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T ATTEND THIS MEETING WILL BE FIRED."

It seems like someone eventually explained to him that cross-country flights on a few hours' notice are not a routine or easy thing for people who don't have their own private jets.
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593665774744350721

Still incredibly ridiculous though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How bad does it have to get for the folks on H1B visas to bail out and roll the dice on getting another job before their visa expires?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

its not entirely random chance, which goes into why this is happening

elon got to be insanely rich by repeatedly running giant, stupid risks and having all of them pay out perfectly. this is not praise: tons of people do this and by luck it works out for someone, for a while.

right now he's repeating that process and whoops it turns out it was all just basically luck that his terrible company got aquired by paypal, and then his brazen accounting fraud at tesla didn't get caught, and then when he got a pay package that was "if i triple the price of the stock i get like a quarter of it" and managed to do that, and somehow got tesla to be a meme stock enough it got insanely high

then, uh, the d20 stopped rolling natural 20s every time

I mean it's not entirely random chance, but it's mostly random chance.

It's random chance he was born a white man in apartheid, random chance he was born as a rich man even among white people in apartheid, and then that opened a bunch of doors and gave him a bunch of second chances, all of which played out hugely in his favor.

Point is, lots and lots of people take big chances and many even put in hard work and do everything right and still are dirt poor with zero power.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

I mean it's not entirely random chance, but it's mostly random chance.

It's random chance he was born a white man in apartheid, random chance he was born as a rich man even among white people in apartheid, and then that opened a bunch of doors and gave him a bunch of second chances, all of which played out hugely in his favor.

Point is, lots and lots of people take big chances and many even put in hard work and do everything right and still are dirt poor with zero power.

Musk is very, very good at raising cash at very low rates. Not just from institutional investors but also large numbers of devoted fans. It's an immense advantage. In that sense Tesla enjoyed a lot of the same benefits that fueled the crypto boom and it's not a coincidence that crypto Twitter scams focus on Musk - it's the same ~Tech~ crowd that love and hype both.

To a large extent it stems from his "he lands rockets" cred. Which is profitable if you have a high enough launch cadence. Which you can do if you can find a reason to do it like a mega-constellation. Which might not be profitable. We'll see.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Owling Howl posted:

Musk is very, very good at raising cash at very low rates. Not just from institutional investors but also large numbers of devoted fans. It's an immense advantage. In that sense Tesla enjoyed a lot of the same benefits that fueled the crypto boom and it's not a coincidence that crypto Twitter scams focus on Musk - it's the same ~Tech~ crowd that love and hype both.

To a large extent it stems from his "he lands rockets" cred. Which is profitable if you have a high enough launch cadence. Which you can do if you can find a reason to do it like a mega-constellation. Which might not be profitable. We'll see.

If true, what's that mean for him if the era of low interest on infinite free money for speculation is done and over with?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Owling Howl posted:

Weirdly I have a lot of trouble raising huge piles of cash at low rates.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I wasn't born into immense privilege, or if that is some ineffable quality that he possesses that I don't. :thunk:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Star Man posted:

How bad does it have to get for the folks on H1B visas to bail out and roll the dice on getting another job before their visa expires?

I would assume most of the people still "working" for Twitter at this point have visa requirements. Three months severance was a good bet to take, as the company may finish evaporating this month.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

If true, what's that mean for him if the era of low interest on infinite free money for speculation is done and over with?

note that based on the p/e multiple this has a whole lot more falling to do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pop quiz: Of all the things that have been removed from Twitter recently, which do you think is the first that should be restored as part of a recovery plan?

a) Most of their human resources

b) Advertiser confidence

c) Stability of their foundational services

d) Policies that effectively counter impersonation and deception

e) The voices of assorted alt-right dipshits

You will be shocked to know the answer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Pop quiz: Of all the things that have been removed from Twitter recently, which do you think is the first that should be restored as part of a recovery plan?

a) Most of their human resources

b) Advertiser confidence

c) Stability of their foundational services

d) Policies that effectively counter impersonation and deception

e) The voices of assorted alt-right dipshits

You will be shocked to know the answer

I mean that was literally what he spent that $44 billion to do: unban the Babylon Bee. The Bee getting banned for being a source of transphobic horse poo poo was THE inciting incident for his Twitter buy, so I'm actually kind of surprised it's taken him this long to break the shackles around his favorite outlet for all the frustration he's working through because his wife left him for a trans woman and took his kids away from him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean that was literally what he spent that $44 billion to do: unban the Babylon Bee. The Bee getting banned for being a source of transphobic horse poo poo was THE inciting incident for his Twitter buy, so I'm actually kind of surprised it's taken him this long to break the shackles around his favorite outlet for all the frustration he's working through because his wife left him for a trans woman and took his kids away from him.

i dont think he's all that broken up over the kids

but the rest is dead-on, he probably only finally figured out who to order to do it that he hadn't already fired

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i dont think he's all that broken up over the kids

but the rest is dead-on, he probably only finally figured out who to order to do it that he hadn't already fired

He's 100% outraged that he doesn't get to sculpt his kids into weird little mini-mes. Remember that freaky eugenics project he's involved in?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sure enough, he’s also lifted Twitter’s general ban on misgendering entirely

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
What kind of valuable free speech does a rule against intentionally misgendering people inhibit, I wonder?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nine-gear crow posted:

A rare win from the Bee!

(You know, convincing Elon to buy and then destroy twitter)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol it's now the top headline on wapo that millions await the collapse of twitter

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that freaky eugenics project he's involved in?

Could you be a little more specific?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Teratrain posted:

What kind of valuable free speech does a rule against intentionally misgendering people inhibit, I wonder?

Harassment is a type of speech obviously.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

Sure enough, he’s also lifted Twitter’s general ban on misgendering entirely

look he's working on the worlds most effective ban on misgendering people on Twitter

and correctly gendering them on Twitter, for that matter

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Someone reposted this analysis of Elon's tweets and he's become increasingly terminally online.
https://twitter.com/zbloom89/status/1593664308835221507?s=20&t=N20n3penE13nFrlxj75MPA
There's a joke that Elon's heart is probably going to give out before the servers at Twitter will.

Edit: also, speaking of Elon, here's a photo of him with a bunch of the engineers who stayed. I would not doubt that is probably everyone at Twitter in this photo.
https://twitter.com/MediumSizeMeech/status/1593975116517384192?s=20&t=J6VBxOwZPuKriyxzlMv0ow

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Young Freud posted:

Someone reposted this analysis of Elon's tweets and he's become increasingly terminally online.
https://twitter.com/zbloom89/status/1593664308835221507?s=20&t=N20n3penE13nFrlxj75MPA
There's a joke that Elon's heart is probably going to give out before the servers at Twitter will.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Also, apparently for all the talk of Elon about removing trans protections, those protections are automated and report still works as usual because there's no one there to review the reports.
https://twitter.com/epistemophagy/status/1593773757075640320?s=20&t=RwLaMFRlcWIIlXqY-4CzRQ

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Everybody should spam reports on all the bootlicking Chuds in Elons replies.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Young Freud posted:

Sounds like a joke in earnest. He is 51, after all.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Elon reactivated Trump's account...
https://apnews.com/article/elon-mus..._source=Twitter

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
https://twitter.com/Anwalt_Jun/status/1594001088503549952

Chan-jo Jun is a German lawyer who is involved in a case in German courts regarding Twitter refusing to comply with moderation standards laws on hate speech, and Musk just handed him this. It's presumably possible for Musk to gently caress up worse on this topic, but it would take a serious effort.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Prism posted:

https://twitter.com/Anwalt_Jun/status/1594001088503549952

Chan-jo Jun is a German lawyer who is involved in a case in German courts regarding Twitter refusing to comply with moderation standards laws on hate speech, and Musk just handed him this. It's presumably possible for Musk to gently caress up worse on this topic, but it would take a serious effort.

I'd say "well, he could just shut down Twitter in Germany" but I wonder if he still has people around who know how to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1594139381727916033