Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

been playing stalker anomaly with the gamma modpack, and i have to say, this modpack rebuilt fully in the EFT engine would be my dream game

anyone that hasn't checked gamma out definitely should, it attempts to turn stalker into some kind of hybrid between eft, stalker and a theoretical fallout 4 whose survival mechanics actually fit into the gameplay. also it's totally free. and they straight up stole audio assets from eft, which is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah, GAMMA is a lot of fun, and best of all it's pretty modular. I turned off the imo dumb economy (why did they think not being able to buy armor and guns was good) and it's now the perfect blend of STALKER atmosphere with EFT style health and shooting

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

some of the elements of the repair and part replacement system are definitely clunky, and i'd prefer a hybrid between tarkov and gamma, but i'm finding the gun and armor system pretty satisfying after playing for a while and gathering the materials needed to actually interact with broken guns. I've recently built my first gun, armor, and helmet upgrades and it was super satisfying to equip a suppressed scoped akm when all i've been using for many ingame days is a sawed-off over/under.

it's not the best solution, but in a single player game like this where every npc has a gun, and there's differing levels of difficulty in terms of the gear enemies are carrying, there needs to be some kind of abstraction to remove all those guns from the player's accessibility. all you need is to get lucky one time with npcs fighting and dying while carrying a kitted aug or whatever and suddenly you have your endgame poo poo, rendering pretty much every gun drop for the foreseeable future meaningless. that's not an issue when you have scary players to hunt you down when you scavenge their kills. it's the same problem every bethesda game has, where their solution is scaling so eventually there's bandits walking around with sniper rifles or daedric longswords. i'm not sure how base anomaly or other the original stalked games handled that, but i understand where the modpack builder is coming from.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Whoever told me to sit in a bush for the first 10 minutes of Shoreline - you're a genius. Now I can actually get quests done instead of eating sniper fire. Thank you!

There was one incident I'm curious about though. I once got the spawn right under weather station and dashed there to loot. I thought I was being super quiet, and didn't hear anyone in the area, but a PMC threw a grenade through one of the upstairs window, ran in, and murdered me. Just wondering if it's a standard tactic to nade the weather station if you think you'll be the #2 arrival, or if I gave away my position with some noise. (I was opening drawers, but I was also listening for motion outside and never heard anything until the grenade broke the window).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Other player most likely scoped you running up the hill and took a best guess that's where you'd be

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

yeah, exactly

second floor is where the loot is too. you can usually get a nade kill on some idiot prone on the safe

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
surprised no one is talking about DMZ (i don't know anything, i know it was shown off today though)

edit: i watched a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6daE6AxVFw0

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dmz looks like poo poo. "looter shooter" is a small part of why i like tarkov. i don't want to play call of duty: looter shooter edition

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

dmz looks like poo poo. "looter shooter" is a small part of why i like tarkov. i don't want to play call of duty: looter shooter edition

This is correct.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My friends have written this game off due to desync and cheating forcing them to twist themselves in knots every death. Warzone's guns are almost Far Cry levels of bad / license-skirting. Is there any other game that lets you tweak gun parts to the level Tarkov does? Tinkering was honestly half the fun I got out of it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Shumagorath posted:

My friends have written this game off due to desync and cheating forcing them to twist themselves in knots every death. Warzone's guns are almost Far Cry levels of bad / license-skirting. Is there any other game that lets you tweak gun parts to the level Tarkov does? Tinkering was honestly half the fun I got out of it.

Just get SPT and mod it to your liking.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

Just get SPT and mod it to your liking.
The other half was the sweat, so no thanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Is it a stupid time to start playing tarkov, should I wait until whenever the next wipe is?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Is it a stupid time to start playing tarkov, should I wait until whenever the next wipe is?
It's never really worse at a given time than any other time unless the wipe has been announced, and even then you can often find very cool kits just by scavenging the hot PvP areas. Your main advantage will be that all the early quest areas will be quiet(ish).

It is kind of a stupid time because the engine is really starting to creak and groan while the devs focus on new content over security / consistency.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Being comfortable with the game will make next wipe easier

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you're new it's probably gonna be a miserable experience since everyone is gonna be running real gear but you also get the benefit of almost every dead player you find being a loot pinata

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

When I started it was late in the wipe cycle and it was definitely a struggle but it was doable and when the wipe came around I was on much better footing to get into it. There's pros and cons to what point in the cycle you start, but I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.

The main thing that makes Tarkov easier is experience and you'll only get that by playing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Phoix posted:

If you're new it's probably gonna be a miserable experience since everyone is gonna be running real gear but you also get the benefit of almost every dead player you find being a loot pinata

this seems like a good upside/downside

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

The other half was the sweat, so no thanks.

Dying in the game doesn't make you die in real life. What difference does it make who shot you?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

Dying in the game doesn't make you die in real life. What difference does it make who shot you?
No matter how hard you want to convince yourself, the singleplayer mods are not replicating the danger of human players.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

No matter how hard you want to convince yourself, the singleplayer mods are not replicating the danger of human players.

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything, I gave up on real tarkov a while ago because ofserver issues and hackers. You should let go of the notion that every human player is Landmark. There's a lot of players camping extracts or just fumbledicking around. Assuming they aren't zorping around on your screen. Great times indeed.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 18, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i've never once thought i was a victim of a hacker in this game. deaths are so goddamn random and unpredictable you basically never have enough info to make that determination

also the threat of exit campers and extremely high skill players are a big part of the excitement in this game. you never know what you'll get. the single player version is completely sterile by comparison

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Hooplah posted:

i've never once thought i was a victim of a hacker in this game. deaths are so goddamn random and unpredictable you basically never have enough info to make that determination

also the threat of exit campers and extremely high skill players are a big part of the excitement in this game. you never know what you'll get. the single player version is completely sterile by comparison

i have definitely run into verifiable cheaters (mostly dudes flying or whatever).

but i feel like i've run into more cheaters than exist campers, ngl.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've avoided EFT because I have 0 interest in pvp games but love games where you collect gun doodads and such. Is that single player mod good? Is it the complete game single player or just parts of it? Sorry for kind of Kramer'ing into the conversation here.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Red Mundus posted:

I've avoided EFT because I have 0 interest in pvp games but love games where you collect gun doodads and such. Is that single player mod good? Is it the complete game single player or just parts of it? Sorry for kind of Kramer'ing into the conversation here.

it's an online shooter with looting, inventory management (actual game) and a billion annoying quests.

there is no real "complete game" as it's kind of a sandbox, it's also literally incomplete as a perpetual beta game

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If anyone has tried the MW2 DMZ mode: what did you think? I think it's enjoyable, but won't last more than a couple weeks. There just isn't enough longevity. I'd try it out now though, while there are still a bunch of players and things haven't been broken.

It's almost nothing like Escape from Tarkov, other than you shoot guns and extract. Different loot system, the stash is basically just guns you've earned by playing, instead of a timer until the raid ends, a nuclear zone expands to eventually fill the whole map and if you are in it too long, you die. There is also a "final extract" which is a new extract that shows up at the end and if you aren't on it, it's gone. So you tend to fight over it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i played 5 games and saw people exactly once

there is no point to money or value items. it's just converted into experience.

seems like it's an afterthought secondary system for leveling up guns or your dudes or whatever in WZ or MP

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tabletops posted:

The money/items you don't keep afterwards also count towards resetting your custom gun timer if you lose it, so there is a reason to extract with it beyond xp.

ShowTime posted:

If anyone has tried the MW2 DMZ mode: what did you think?

I like it a lot. Way more depth than I originally thought it would have. Not just missions, but various targets to fight, weapon blueprints to collect, pvp funnels like the weapons cases and chemist, and surprisingly enjoyable combat mechanics. It isn't a tarkov killer in any sense, but I think it will have more longevity than a couple weeks. I like it way more than the BR. And if they add more modes and content over time it will keep people around. I'm pretty happy with it. I particularly enjoy the AI presentation compared to Tarkov. If EFT could get the AI from DMZ it would be a fantastic improvement across the board.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Tabletops posted:

i played 5 games and saw people exactly once

seems like it's an afterthought secondary system for leveling up guns or your dudes or whatever in WZ or MP

I had a very similar experience. They added lots of items to loot but there’s no hideout system that makes loot interesting it’s all just $$$. Items are weird and large items take up the same amount of space as tiny items like an origami crane. There’s no traders or flea market.

You can see where the game is inspired by tarkov but it misses the mark entirely. I don’t expect it to have much longevity unless they radically change it. If I want to play tarkov I will and if I want COD then DMZ isn’t it for me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

El Jebus posted:

The money/items you don't keep afterwards also count towards resetting your custom gun timer if you lose it, so there is a reason to extract with it beyond xp.

Is that the insured gun or the contraband gun? I haven't unlocked a ton of attachments yet too start building guns. I don't even know how to do that really.

Edit: Figured out how. I had to watch a video explaining it. "How to use attachments in DMZ" was the first search result, so thankfully it's not just me that's confused by the system. There is a Gunsmith button above the insured weapon that lets you add attachments. So I do kind of like that system of having up to 3 guns that are "safe" that you can add your own attachments too, and how they cool down.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 18, 2022

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShowTime posted:

Is that the insured gun or the contraband gun? I haven't unlocked a ton of attachments yet too start building guns. I don't even know how to do that really.

Edit: Figured out how. I had to watch a video explaining it. "How to use attachments in DMZ" was the first search result, so thankfully it's not just me that's confused by the system. There is a Gunsmith button above the insured weapon that lets you add attachments. So I do kind of like that system of having up to 3 guns that are "safe" that you can add your own attachments too, and how they cool down.

It is for insured gun only, since contraband guns are just you either extract with them or you don't. You can have up to 10 contraband guns on normal accounts and 20 if you bought the expensive game version (I think?)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Red Mundus posted:

It's the complete game with all the quests, hideout stuff, flea market, and updates the live version gets. The only difference is the enemy is all AI and there's no way to team with your friends (yet). I know that seems obvious since it's literally called Single Player Tarkov but people still ask a lot. There are a lot of mods to adjust the AI to your liking plus you can customize the hell out of it. If you had a group of friends to play with live is still the way to go, otherwise it's worth a shot.

I have the mega buy-in package on live and don't really regret it but it seems after every wipe the race to chad levels goes quicker and I can only do the same "find three widgets in raid" quest before I'm over it.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 19, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ShowTime posted:

If anyone has tried the MW2 DMZ mode: what did you think? I think it's enjoyable, but won't last more than a couple weeks. There just isn't enough longevity. I'd try it out now though, while there are still a bunch of players and things haven't been broken.

It's almost nothing like Escape from Tarkov, other than you shoot guns and extract. Different loot system, the stash is basically just guns you've earned by playing, instead of a timer until the raid ends, a nuclear zone expands to eventually fill the whole map and if you are in it too long, you die. There is also a "final extract" which is a new extract that shows up at the end and if you aren't on it, it's gone. So you tend to fight over it.

Its a much better experience than EFT IMO, but I haven't liked EFT for a while now. Switching from EFT to H:S and now probably to DMZ. A good foundation for sure.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

DMZ is cool, it's a faster more streamlined tarkov. It isn't the time sink tarkov will be-- there just aren't that many quests on offer. But it's a fun way to experience the huge warzone map and if you make a point to go looking for it there's plenty of pvp action. The size of the map and number of players on it means you aren't gonna run in to people often unless you're looking for it, but the pvp is there if you want it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Sorry, DMZ has parachute jumps and poo poo and you don't get to scour the incredibly detailed trash on the floor of a dark room for individually modeled pieces of trash to hoard. I want to feel the crushing weight of a backpack full of electronics slowing me down as I have an anxiety attack on the way to extract.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I stole the extract chopper right in front of the squad that called it, they also had the weapon case with them, that was pretty fun.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I stole the extract chopper right in front of the squad that called it, they also had the weapon case with them, that was pretty fun.
Not as fun as swiping the parking garage exfil and Killa’s stash, but the spirit is there :laugh:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If enough people are playing DMZ I might try and see if anyone is on the Discord later. Right now i'm at like a 50% success rate for extractions with decent loot, but my issue is teammates who don't communicate and do dumb COD poo poo, like drive into a pack of npcs or run off into the wilds and just camp there. Why people spend 5 minutes in a building with no fights going on i'll never know, but i'm guessing its a relic of their days of camping a spot in COD and hoping someone comes by.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I tried some DMZ last night but I didn’t fully understand the mechanics lol I’m gonna try it again tonight now that I have a clue what to do.

I think it is fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was the same way and didn't enjoy my first few games. But then I realized how things work, how you should move, etc. Being stealthy isn't as big of a thing as it is in EFT, but you still wanna take your time because there are times when you can turn a corner and there are 4-5 stacked NPCs that will push your poo poo in. And the armor plates barely help. You basically always wanna be looking for armor plates and using them.

It really is Tarkov with a loot and extraction system. So you can absolutely get wrecked in a second, or do the same, even to a group. Range is best, but shotguns also slap in this game. My favorite gun is actually a shotgun.

What I like to do is just identify my closest objective (the smaller green symbols on the map, such as kill a HVT, extract intel, etc) and make my way there, looting on the way. Then I do that objective, get a little money and try and find a cash shop, so I can buy some decent stuff or make sure my armor plates are full. I just keep doing that, going for whatever is closest, farming npcs, getting the best loot I can, then extract.

I think certain areas are better for certain things, like finding the bigger armor vests or backpacks, but I haven't quite figured out where those are. At the same time, i've found gold bars (worth 8k) just sitting on a bathroom counter in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: Has anyone actually heard anyone on voice comms? I try and use it and never get a response. I've checked all my settings, including my steam voice chat settings (which have been a culprit in the past) and everything should be working.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 20, 2022