Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Nessus posted:

the weird specific impulse to just go around and tell people to be miserable seems like it should have some kind of German name.
Suggestion: Drumpf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Squibbles posted:

It's a really hacky but fast/effective but incomprehensible bit of code written by John Carmack of ID Software (I think) for one of the Quake games that was also used in many subsequent things based on the quake engine

it was made famous by quake/carmack but later discovered to have originated elsewhere

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

From a few pages back (I'm finding it hard to keep track of all Musk shenanigans in realtime), but for the benefit of non-programmers, would you please explain this joke?

It's a fast square root function written by John Carmack for the quake engines that does bit shift voodoo and a constant to work. However it's only an approximation that falls off after a number of decimal places, but it gets you to a precision that is good enough for use in a 3d engine.

When the Quake 1 engine was open sourced there were posts about how people didn't understand how it worked or where the algorithm came from.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

the weird specific impulse to just go around and tell people to be miserable seems like it should have some kind of German name.

The word you're thinking of is French and it's ressentiment.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hunter Biden posted:

Your skepticism is probably smart.

Elon Musk is an idiot and a dweeb, but failing a hardware crash or debts going wild Twitter isn't going anywhere. We are clowning on Elon but until a substantial number of user move to other places it's going to be here. And let's be honest, 90% of the site has a terminal posting addiction just like Elon. I think we are stuck with the site until the signs of mental issues and attention become to large to ignore and people panic about their usage. (So maybe never.)

Elon definitely just lost a shitload of money either way and twitter just isn't going to be worth that much. So there is a nice part of it.
Twitter now has a billion dollars in debt servicing per year. On its best years it's made operational profits of about a billion; when it's not losing money (lol) it's been booking like 2-3 hundred million dollars in profit, and that's including the pre-buyout $50m of debt servicing Twitter used to have. Even at its most optimistic Twitter would have been running a razor thin margin for cash flow. Now that, like, 90% of its workforce has been fired, resigned or otherwise disposed of, the costs have gone down, but there's still gonna be a huge charge for the costs of severance and separation. Mean while costs of many of the physical plant haven't gone down, because it's a system built for a certain capacity and you can't simply shut down servers (though Musk is trying, lololol) to save money.

In the background to this, ad revenue has plummeted. Twitter has not sold any ads for the coming year. Current ad campaigns are being suspended. The revenue from $8 checkmarks, which is also currently suspended, amounts to digging around the couch cushions for change after quitting your job. As a fiscal matter, Twitter is likely deeply red and will not get any better any time soon. Unless Musk decides to sink a further billion or five into Twitter, running out of cash is a real concern. And no, there's no cash left since what cash on hand was used to buy out the company; Twitter had a war chest of $5b that's gone. Poof. How much actual cash Twitter has on hand is no longer public but I'm not sure that's actually knowable right now given that their accounting department probably has been shredded too.

Tl;dr: there is a serious risk of cash flow issues that can make Twitter's checks bounce.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
John Carmack is basically the genius that Musk thinks he is

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
This thread used to move like 3 pages a day now it’s moved 30 pages while I was working. Wtf happened

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Insanite posted:

yes. yes, it does.

i used to use links2 in graphical mode on the ol pentium 75. it ran in a terminal AND i could view boobs on pichunter.com.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Soggy Muffin posted:

This thread used to move like 3 pages a day now it’s moved 30 pages while I was working. Wtf happened

Nothing

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Soggy Muffin posted:

we had to post more hardcore

b y order of the bleaky muskers

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Soggy Muffin posted:

Elon musk bought twittere

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
It’s a race between twitter having money issues versus the software getting itself stuck in far too many failure states for Musk’s bootlickers to figure out in less than a few weeks each.

Y’all gotta understand that when failures happen, you do not know why, if it’s not your system. Musk’s bright boys he’s got left behind have had 3 weeks of exposure to a system that likely takes a year to onboard onto. Figuring out what the gently caress is happening takes a hell of a lot of time.

With a system as big and complex as Twitter, we are talking downtime of months while they scramble. Sure it comes back, but how many issues are fixed? What data loss? Do people even wanna come back after 2-3 months?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ProfessorMarvel posted:

That reference is inaccurate. Jack Torrance was addicted to alcohol, not Xanax.

Someone ask him if that Russian detox place they shipped him off to broke his brain. I would but I deleted Twitter a while ago

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Frank Frank posted:

Someone ask him if that Russian detox place they shipped him off to broke his brain. I would but I deleted Twitter a while ago

I got you on a why not both twofer here:

(1) It did
(2) How would you be able to tell

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593727662228283393

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

we had to post more hardcore

b y order of the bleaky muskers

lol

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1593684182307196928?t=Ic06oyaGdLRHHCk9uzw1yw&s=19

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BigBadSteve posted:

From a few pages back (I'm finding it hard to keep track of all Musk shenanigans in realtime), but for the benefit of non-programmers, would you please explain this joke?

Inverse square roots are used for working out how to light surfaces in 3D graphics engines, like Quake. Before there were dedicated graphics cards that did it almost instantly in hardware it had to be done in software by the CPU. This is a clever, obscure way of working out a rough approximation which is good enough to be used for lighting 3D models without slowing the game down too much before fancy graphics cards came along.

Most programmers will look at it say "OMG what the gently caress is going on here?".

It takes a floating-point number (e.g. 12.765), does some manipulation on the bytes in memory that form that number as a rough shortcut, and then does some more normal maths on the result. Doing floating-point arithmetic was always a lot slower than doing integer arithmetic so it cheats as much as possible to avoid using floating-point numbers and comes up with a value which is close enough to be useful.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

but if enough people seek out a vile tweet and like it, it would reach-around, back to the top? interesting.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"I can crowdsource any major problems from what people post about on SomethingAwful, and work the last remaining lackeys in a state of on-call emergency as problems come up.

On the side, I can bolster my income by running constant crypto scams, which entertains the financial sector who want to play games.

Why fix what isn't broken? bing bong so simple"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Squibbles posted:

It's a really hacky but fast/effective but incomprehensible bit of code written by John Carmack of ID Software (I think) for one of the Quake games that was also used in many subsequent things based on the quake engine

Thanks. I see there's a very mathematical explanation here:
http://h14s.p5r.org/2012/09/0x5f3759df.html

I didn't :lol: but I'm sure more math-minded nerds would.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

that rules, I’m poo poo at code but that guy sounds cool and smart as heck

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Oh, I definitely will, Elon!

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
How long until Musk goes the Kevin Spacey apology route?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

PITY BONER posted:

How long until Musk goes the Kevin Spacey apology route?

Is this where everyone who used to work at Twitter mysteriously start dying?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

busalover posted:

Oh, I definitely will, Elon!

"Haha even my detractors suck down my tweets, as long as I'm trumping and always surfing the spectacle while doing the 80/20, these guys can only deal with me calling them loony lefties as my money hits the moon."

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Knot My President! posted:

that rules, I’m poo poo at code but that guy sounds cool and smart as heck

He works on Facebook's Second Life clone now so ehhh.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Because Mastodon gets mentioned as an alternative, get ready for choosing between different fiefdoms and their rulesets, plus the gamble that the home you choose might get blocked and fall out of the fediverse. Cool!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I don't remember twitter ever having to advertise "Exciting thing coming up, make sure to watch on Twitter!" before.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Coool so Russian bots will downvote stuff into oblivion that isn’t on-message. Sweet platform dude

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

busalover posted:

Because Mastodon gets mentioned as an alternative, get ready for choosing between different fiefdoms and their rulesets, plus the gamble that the home you choose might get blocked and fall out of the fediverse. Cool!

You can move your account to a different server if you want, so meh.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Serious_Cyclone posted:

You can move your account to a different server if you want, so meh.

Assuming the instance admin doesn't throw a fit one day and take it down before you can migrate.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Current talking point: it’s all bloat and elons a genius for figuring it out

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1593476189380702208?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1593476189380702208?s=46&t=ggxcweUTpNtHt0NTOdNj8w

"Go long on bets that were already safe, also I am a dicksucker"

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Nitrousoxide posted:

Assuming the instance admin doesn't throw a fit one day and take it down before you can migrate.

Sounds kinda familiar right now doesn’t it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think if I caught wind that the admin was that pissy I'd move on pretty quick; I bet people on Twitter wished there was some instance other than Elon's rn. Mastodon's federated system is so much better that even the things people try to point out as faults are better than the equivalent on Twitter.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

Inverse square roots are used for working out how to light surfaces in 3D graphics engines, like Quake. Before there were dedicated graphics cards that did it almost instantly in hardware it had to be done in software by the CPU. This is a clever, obscure way of working out a rough approximation which is good enough to be used for lighting 3D models without slowing the game down too much before fancy graphics cards came along...

Ok, thanks. I'm starting a programming course at college next year, and hope I don't regret it. :lol:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Frank Frank posted:

Coool so Russian bots will downvote stuff into oblivion that isn’t on-message. Sweet platform dude

no, see, elon will get rid of the bots

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If any of those companies takes notes on Elon’s adventures, it sure wouldn’t be on a “successful” layoff.

Plus let’s not forget those companies ship multiple operating systems. (Well ok Meta just has their VR headset OS.) Can’t have enough employees for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lol at people sucking a dude's dick whose philosophy is basically: "Technology will eventually touch fascism, may as well join 'em instead of beat 'em, superior power never turns over."