Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

If Portugal wasn't run by fascist morons at the time then Goa would have probably been peacefully transferred to India like Pondicherry was by France. All that said, I wonder if the treaty port status is really correct for Goa and Pondicherry in the game. Obviously that was their original status, but I doubt by the 19th century they still had the same kind of access to Indian goods.

an easy fix is for making goa and pondicherry their own states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Kraftwerk posted:

Right. But they really need to do a better job of explaining the whole “Native War bands +400% defence” mechanic.

I don’t understand how a bunch of tribal irregulars and “conscripts” can with stand minie bullets and cannon fire.

Unless the whole point is to wait until you get machine guns before you can truly colonize Africa and I’m just ahistorically grabbing land in human wave charges.

I ran into several “fleet of 110 monitors destroys 50 battleships and carriers” naval battles

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880441881&searchtext=rework

Anyone try this? Looks good without having to download 50 separate mods

Looks great

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
The script that removes pre-existing treaty ports, (not the port itself but the treaty port status), infamy costs halved mod, the mod that removes radical creation from pops getting fired (they still get created from SoL drop if they can't find equivalent work)

and the mod that limits your max export % based on trade law, which saves domestic lumber markets from being totally depleted by a GP, which also fixes the infinite circular trade loops (75% exported max w free trade, less for others)

and the mod that magically increases oil outputs per pump
and the AI revamp, and Japan revamp that fixes infinite age bug, are pretty necessary for this game rn, imo.

if you have alllll those, and AI aggression set to high, the game actually feels pretty dynamic, and feels like it's behaving much closer to other victoria/pdox games, stuff actually happens and the map isn't static af

I'll post a link to all these when I'm home and have a chance, but they're on the workshop & all work together

I think there's a lot of AI behaviors in the base game that simply don't trigger or aren't able to come into play because they've always got huge problems with radicals and weird trade/price oscillations throwing their calculations of things off

shits unplayable unmodded

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 18, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've just been playing with anbeelds ai and some cosmetic mods, big improvement already

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fuligin posted:

I've just been playing with anbeelds ai and some cosmetic mods, big improvement already

oh yeah, the UI mods that add unemployed pops to state info pop-ups, the dense trade & building/pm menu ui mods, show trade routes in resource/building info pages and the more ledgers mods help a lot

by the way, w/o any mods: pretty much any spot that shows a state, resource or IG name/icon/image, if you right click on it, it shows the same context menu that pops up when you click on the state on the map helps with a lot of the clunkier UI stuff like adjusting tarrifs or the statewide authority abilities

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880441881&searchtext=rework

Looks like a very scattershot approach and will probably be a total mess.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

guidoanselmi posted:

I ran into several “fleet of 110 monitors destroys 50 battleships and carriers” naval battles

Yeah, this is something I keep harping on but the naval tech advantage is seriously underpowered right now, which in turn means that there’s not a lot of real point to the naval arms race when you can just poo poo out a million ironclads and as long as your fleets are significantly bigger you win.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tomn posted:

Yeah, this is something I keep harping on but the naval tech advantage is seriously underpowered right now, which in turn means that there’s not a lot of real point to the naval arms race when you can just poo poo out a million ironclads and as long as your fleets are significantly bigger you win.

OTOH being able to upgrade your entire fleet to battleships in a year is a bit ridiculous as well. The current system really just doesn't adequately model the naval arms race of the steel age in any way.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't tried it, but I do recognise that guy as the one who made the day-one concentration camp genocide mod which skeeves me tbh (it got pulled down thankfully). He also seems to have two seperate 'Hitler Survives in Secret and Rises Again!' mods for HoI4. And judging by the comments on his Canada mod for Vic 3, he's a Ben Shapiro watcher. Like I dunno whatever dude sucks but it's more a heads up that some of the custom events and features in the omega rework might turn out sketchy.

The rework does look good, if bloated, so that's a shame.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tomn posted:

They literally need to import either the hoi4 naval system (sans designer and advanced features) or or redesign it from the ground up.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It turns out the low countries are quite low

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

thats one way to solve the Schleswig-Holstein question

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

he didn't ask if you read the mod description.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Did anyone get their zeppelins for signing up to learn more about Vicky3? I never saw mine appear.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seems weird to have flavor and content additions alongside fixes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I did a good 20 years as Lower Canada* and it is actually stable and decent. At this stage I kinda prefer extra flavour, especially hitting peeves like no Louis Napoléon and snake USA never trying for California, alongside bugfixes and attempted balancing. This is way too soon to find a proper modlist we like so simple is good.

But

DaysBefore posted:

I haven't tried it, but I do recognise that guy as the one who made the day-one concentration camp genocide mod which skeeves me tbh (it got pulled down thankfully). He also seems to have two seperate 'Hitler Survives in Secret and Rises Again!' mods for HoI4. And judging by the comments on his Canada mod for Vic 3, he's a Ben Shapiro watcher. Like I dunno whatever dude sucks but it's more a heads up that some of the custom events and features in the omega rework might turn out sketchy.

The rework does look good, if bloated, so that's a shame.

ah, mapgames fans. In this mod there are the historical 7 Canadas. You receive a number of bonuses for being canadian...

Speaking of loving with mods, does V3 load hella fast for anyone else? Like, HoI or EU on my laptop I automatically tab out for a million years, by comparison V3 loads up instantly. Certainly helps build a stable modlist.

*Secretly love Vicky because it's the only game where Canada exists and is fun. Ok, blitzing the USA as communist Canada is fun once in HoI4 and its a good tutorial country.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 19, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah it loads really fast, it's nice.

at last Paradox caters to their core audience: savescummers

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anyone know a workaround/mod for the permanent 0 morale bug? Army not navy. Would deleting the buildings and rebuilding them fix it?

Also does anyone know how to get wages to go down? I have massive unemployment. I could probably fix some of it by going to propertied women from suffrage and lowering trade union approval with fake law changes to deactivate solidarity to get my workforce ratio down, I guess.

Also I think I found a new bug: Peasants seem to be immune to investment losses. Before I went Council Republic I had aristocrats and clergymen starving at wealth 1 because the subsistence farms they owned had massive losses, because the wages they paid the peasants were far more than the value of the goods they produced, but now that they're worker co-ops I don't think anyone's actually paying? The farms are still running at a loss, but that's ok, the peasants can still pay themselves their full wage. With money they forge themselves, maybe, no idea where else the money would come from. The subsistence farmers are at wealth 19 and positive income, but still at only 16k/400k employed (since they're running at loss, even though no-one's actually paying that, they can't hire more peasants), with a million wealth 5 unemployed people in the state.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Staltran posted:

Also I think I found a new bug: Peasants seem to be immune to investment losses. Before I went Council Republic I had aristocrats and clergymen starving at wealth 1 because the subsistence farms they owned had massive losses, because the wages they paid the peasants were far more than the value of the goods they produced, but now that they're worker co-ops I don't think anyone's actually paying? The farms are still running at a loss, but that's ok, the peasants can still pay themselves their full wage. With money they forge themselves, maybe, no idea where else the money would come from. The subsistence farmers are at wealth 19 and positive income, but still at only 16k/400k employed (since they're running at loss, even though no-one's actually paying that, they can't hire more peasants), with a million wealth 5 unemployed people in the state.

They're laying off other peasants to reach an equilibrium point, but it does sound weird. I've never had a situation where the subsistence farms starting firing people. What's your market look like?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 19, 2022

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Whoever decided that a war that's sitting at 0-0 warscore lasts forever really messed up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We just realized that using switch country to tidy up dumbass ai borders also resets your precious GDP graph to whenever you last switched back to your country. Wiz please fix this ASAP.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You could use the console instead. Get one of the debug-mode toggle mods, toggle it, press ` for the console, then the command to switch control of a state is "own STATE_ID COUNTRY_TAG". So like "own STATE_PROVENCE SIC".

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They're laying off other peasants to reach an equilibrium point, but it does sound weird. I've never had a situation where the subsistence farms starting firing people. What's your market look like?

I let it run for a couple months and I did see that three peasants were fired one week. That was the only time I spotted that though, steady at 16.1K peasants. Also the equilibrium would pretty clearly be 0, there's no way subsistence farm good production could be enough to pay over 5£ annually to each peasant. It's not like they would possibly significantly affect the price of anything. Bunch of screenshots here

e: Though I misremembered, there's only 250k unemployed in Piedmont now. Guess the rest moved somewhere else.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Peasants get "subsistence output" for free. The goods they produce for market are the surplus, and I think the difference is what the game is using to establishing the equilibrium hiring point.

It doesn't really make sense for peasants laying off other peasants though. The whole idea of subsistence farming is that you only sell what you don't need to survive, but the game is translating the subsistence output into wages at a certain SoL I guess? I don't fully understand it. I don't think it's a bug, more like an oversight because it's just operating like a normal building.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think peasants get subsistence output directly though, it's not via the building's budget. When there were aristocrats around I could see the building's deficit listed as investment losses in their (and the clergy's) expenses, and it brought them all the way to wealth level one. (They were still paying it somehow, of course, so money was still being generated, but at least they were starving for it). With co-ops it seems like no-one is paying the building's losses at all. The worker-owners are just paying themselves wages (separate from the subsistence output), putting the losses on the building's tab, which is apparently not paid by anyone.

e: It's rather weird that subsistence farmers are paid wages at all. Wasn't the idea that the subsistence farmers paid rent (whether cash, grain, or labor on the landlord's unrented land) in exchange for using the landlord's land to farm for themselves? The owners paying the subsistence farmers is backwards. It would make more sense to buff the subsistence output and lower peasant wage factor to 0 (from 0.2).

Staltran fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 19, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What’s the difference between having serfdom enabled vs disabled?
Like in actual gameplay terms what does it affect?

My peasants will still convert to machinists and labourers just fine with serfdom on so it doesn’t make too much sense to me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Production method and therefore SOL for subsistence farming.
(And also influence of landowners)

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
final edit: I think Im going to let this game bake a bit more before I start playing again.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 19, 2022

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Serfdom does tank the qualifications growth of peasants.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Waifu Radia posted:

sort of confusing to see them wondering if the rubber changes are enough, it’s literally just arithmetic to figure out how much rubber it’d make available etc

I can't wait for Paradox to conclude after years of calculating and testing that the global supply of basic resources is insufficient to support the world's population at even medium SoL levels.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fray posted:

Serfdom does tank the qualifications growth of peasants.

Yes it doesn't mention this anywhere but apparently it hard blocks them from gaining certain qualifications (although nothing prevents them from going peasant -> labourer -> some other higher tier job, so they will still promote, it just takes longer). The main reason to kill serfdom though is just to push the landowners out of power, since it's such a massive boost to their clout.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
serfdom also restricts laws

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
radical opinion: obligations have got to go. they are almost entirely bad.

they can almost never be called in meaningfully past early game (because conquering is just superior in all instances), and the AI almost exclusively offers you them in wars which would cost a fortune to take part in in place of more convincing things like reps, land, etc.

like, greece is giving me an obligation to fight the ottomans as russia, this will be expensive but not too difficult war. im not joining for a favor i can't call in.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Another Person posted:

they can almost never be called in meaningfully past early game (because conquering is just superior in all instances), and the AI almost exclusively offers you them in wars which would cost a fortune to take part in in place of more convincing things like reps, land, etc.

like, greece is giving me an obligation to fight the ottomans as russia, this will be expensive but not too difficult war. im not joining for a favor i can't call in.

I think they're supposedly working on a system where you can tell the AI what you want from a war to join. But yeah, obligations aren't the most impactful things unless they're from a great power who wants to interfere in your business. Granted, a great power who is actively loving with you isn't likely to offer you an obligation in the first place, so...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Another Person posted:

The worst part is obligations don't actually guarantee any diplomatic actions will go through. It's only +50 when the default acceptance is -100, and if you call them into a war they can just back out. The diplo side of the game is so worthless its unbelievable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Obligations feel like a system that was thought of early, neutered and left in due to being integrated into too many things. They're mostly just annoying.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I think they're supposedly working on a system where you can tell the AI what you want from a war to join. But yeah, obligations aren't the most impactful things unless they're from a great power who wants to interfere in your business. Granted, a great power who is actively loving with you isn't likely to offer you an obligation in the first place, so...

why wasnt this in at launch

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

These are all issues EU4 developed a solution for a half decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

These are all issues EU4 developed a solution for a half decade ago.

I think they were entirely focused on building systems that were able to model the important stuff, then had to launch early before they could flesh em out/balance them/flavor. it's really bare bones
right now but this game, could prob. model just about everything in euIV pretty seamlessly & that's impressive imo

any other developer in earth and id have returned it in the first 2hr
but i don't think paradox would go through the effort just to leave this game sitting with mixed reviews on steam indefinitely